Best SW EU story as a new movie material?

Slowpokeking

The Republic Commando series by Karen Traviss.

I know with the changes to canon that there will have to be some adjustments in what she wrote, but I think this is the perfect vehicle.

It takes place concurrent to the Clone Wars, so could be either Live Action or Animated.

Also you wouldn't have to worry about trying to shoehorn Luke/Leia/Han in there.

It gives the people more of what they want:

Mandolorians

The Republic Army

Lots of Jedi

Plenty of intrigue and heart.

Throw out the romance, and I think you have a great story about the men behind the front lines.

Or even a gritty movie based on the Republic Commando video game.

Other than that, I say you go with something like the Mandolorian Armor trilogy, or the Heir to the Empire trilogy.

Only logistical probs with the last one is how old the principles are at the moment.

Bah, a personal thing but I'm sick of Mandos. Bloody everywhere with their Klingon warrior ********, does my head in.

I'd say a particular battle would make a good film: the liberation of Coruscant from the Empire. It's been described, shown in VG, done right you could make an entire film about that event alone - and with a competent writer/director (read: not George Lucas) it could be very, very, very good.

The problem with making EU books into movies is that they are way to big and imaginative. Rereading Heir to the Empire recently I kept being taken away by the big scenes and action that were described. Just the amount of stuff that happens in it is so hard to fit into a movie, let alone get it right. Or they could be like game of thrones and be 10 hours per book (if only). If you look at a lot of the comic adaptations of the books, they lose a lot of the material.

Anyways, enough of my ramblings. As a standalone movie I think that Darth Bane would be my first pick. It is one of my favorite SW books. It's pretty separated from everything else, so it's not like suddenly making a movie in the middle of the Vong war, or at the end of Caedus's rule. It has tons of characters that haven't been acted before, and the ending would be crazy.

If I could get a TV show though, I'd like to see the Tales of the Jedi or Junior Jedi Knights as a series. I'm a big fan of Kevin Anderson and his wife's work. It had lots of nice little stories that would be great for episodes, while still had a great overall arc and plot to them.

i think rather than changing a novel into a movie they should write something original, but i would like them to set it in the old republic era

Hell yes! That way they can get around having to cast Luke Leia and Han. The reason no post Return of the Jedi movies are being made.

Well, there won't be any more movies in theaters, as per George Lucas. Now, as far as TV series go, I would love to see the X-Wing comics and novels adapted for television. IMO, that was some of the best storytelling in Star Wars.

Are they still planning a live action tv series? Because if they are, that would be a very good idea. Either that or something with Boba Fett (I'm no Boba Fett fanboy, just makes sense).