Free Character Transfers Now Available On Select Servers

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all,

Several posts that were disruptive, rude, insulting and contained profanity were removed from the thread, as were their replies. You can express your opinion, whether negative or positive, regarding the server transfer information, but we ask that you do so constructively and civilly. As a reminder:

• Disruptive Behavior - Posts that are meant to cause disruptions or to incite flames are not allowed.
  • Profanity - Is never allowed.
  • Insults - Are not tolerated
  • Rude comments - will be removed, please be respectful toward one another.
  • Discussion of Moderation - If you have an issue regarding moderation, please send us an email so we can discuss it with you: communitysupport@swtor.com

If you come across a post you think breaks the rules, please report it so we can investigate it!

People are angry BECAUSE THEY WANT TO ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAME THEY ARE PAYING FOR? How can they do this on a dead server with a shortage of players. You spent MONTHS sorting this problem out and now you make people wait longer?!?! Stop messing about and get some clear communication out and a real time-scale for people still waiting please.

Something you cannot figure out accurately by 'monitoring' a weekend but which require longer term monitoring, but something you'd have numbers for by analysing the last 6 months of data.

It's not the same kind of data. The data from the past 6 months can't predict how many people will ACCEPT the transfer within a certain amount of time. In the forums there are posts by people who claim they refuse to leave their servers, there was one demanding to be sent back (which was REALLY weird). It also can't predict how many people will RE-subscribe, and be on one of those origin servers and ask to be transferred.

I understand you aren't getting the answer you want from me, which seems to be, THEY'RE incompetent and YOU are a victim. And in all honesty, that absolutely COULD be the case. But claiming that analyzing the previous 6 months of data is going to give them some kind of insight into a transfer process that wasn't available when that data was collected shows me that you aren't really trying to understand and you're just angry.

Which is completely understandable. It's a sucky situation and i hope they resolve it quickly for you.

BW is providing an additional service to try to make their subscribers happier in the hopes of not losing their subscribers and attracting new ones. It doesn't mean that without this service you would not be getting what your 15 dollars entitles you to. Just you probably (understandably) wouldn't be happy with your gaming experience. But, you are getting this service. Just not today. But again, you can't demand compensation for something not owed to you, or for a free additional service you don't feel is being offered fast enough.

While I believe that this whole mess of servers and transfers could have been avoided if BW actually knew what they were doing and learned from other company's mistakes instead of repeating them, I agree and do not believe that anyone is entitled to any compensation. At this point most people probably playing for free anyway. I know my last payment was in April for 1 month and May to June is free. How BW does the transfers will determine if I continue or not.

Edited by HelinCarnate

BW is providing an additional service to try to make their subscribers happier in the hopes of not losing their subscribers and attracting new ones. It doesn't mean that without this service you would not be getting what your 15 dollars entitles you to. Just you probably (understandably) wouldn't be happy with your gaming experience. But, you are getting this service. Just not today. But again, you can't demand compensation for something not owed to you, or for a free additional service you don't feel is being offered fast enough.

Why can't we demand compensation? That's your opinion without logical support. We are getting this service, which is currently being offered to only 80% of the population, while us in the remaining 20% aren't. Around a whole week will have gone bye where we in this 20% will have been unable to play the game, meanwhile paying the same subscription fees as those who are.

I'm just going to stop responding to you if you can't come up with a logical reason as to why we shouldn't be compensated, that I haven't already proven is so.

Why can't we demand compensation? That's your opinion without logical support. We are getting this service, which is currently being offered to only 80% of the population, while us in the remaining 20% aren't. Around a whole week will have gone bye where we in this 20% will have been unable to play the game, meanwhile paying the same subscription fees as those who are.

I'm just going to stop responding to you if you can't come up with a logical reason as to why we shouldn't be compensated, that I haven't already proven is so.

Should it just be us who are in that remaining 20% of servers (in both the US and EU) be compensated or should everyone who was not in that very first batch on Tuesday be compensated?

It's not the same kind of data. The data from the past 6 months can't predict how many people will ACCEPT the transfer within a certain amount of time. In the forums there are posts by people who claim they refuse to leave their servers, there was one demanding to be sent back (which was REALLY weird). It also can't predict how many people will RE-subscribe, and be on one of those origin servers and ask to be transferred.

I understand you aren't getting the answer you want from me, which seems to be, THEY'RE incompetent and YOU are a victim. And in all honesty, that absolutely COULD be the case. But claiming that analyzing the previous 6 months of data is going to give them some kind of insight into a transfer process that wasn't available when that data was collected shows me that you aren't really trying to understand and you're just angry.

Which is completely understandable. It's a sucky situation and i hope they resolve it quickly for you.

A weekend can't tell it either, and the statistic sample will be too small compared to the actual population trends for pretty much anything.

What about the people who wait until next week to accept the transfer? Next weekend? Or the people who accepted the transfer but will stop playing next week, next weekend? Or the people who're not logging in this weekend?

One weekend will tell you nothing.

It's got nothing to do with being angry or any such thing you want to try and paint to invalidate the point.

It has to do with the metrics they gather and the trends they show. You can't take a single sample in time and expect that to be meaningful. It does not work that way. Despite you wanting to try and belittle the point.

Edited by xandax

A weekend can't tell it either, and the statistic sample will be too small compared to the actual population trends for pretty much anything.

What about the people who wait until next week to accept the transfer? Next weekend? Or the people who accepted the transfer but will stop playing next week, next weekend? Or the people who're not logging in this weekend?

It's got nothing to do with being angry or any such thing you want to try and paint to invalidate the point.

It has to do with the metrics they gather and the trends they show. You can't take a single sample in time and expect that to be meaningful. It does not work that way. Despite you wanting to try and belittle the point.

It's sort of darned if you do, and darned if you don't. If they chose to take that into consideration, transfers would then take months to complete as they do a batch, monitor the effects of the transfers in that batch and adjust accordingly. In the meantime, even more people would drop their subs (in theory) thereby keeping the cycle going full circle.

I can just see next weeks message:

" As 3 of our customers were on summer vacation last week at the beach, we will be holding off any more transfers until Bob, Jim, and Salley get back and see if they transfer so we can monitor how there toons effect server population."

In this instance, much more so than your analogy.

They know the numbers of active players and the population trend since launch.

They know the numbers of capacity of servers.

Adjust with number of expected returns (and no - one weekend will not provide any significant result)

Do the math.

Execute the result.

You're leaving out several factors:

1. How many people only play during the weekend and would only be able to initiate the transfer then (possibly not aware since everyone doesn't monitor the forums)
  2. Even though the destination servers have been given the green light, how many of those ACTIVE players have actually accepted the transfer?
  3. Will they accept the transfer at all?
  4. How many people are going to re-subscribe once it gets out that the server populations are MUCH better? What happend with THEIR characters stranded on a dead server if the destination is full and their friends are there?

Jeezzzzz!!!! Mind Trick has been left out since the start can you guys PLEASE tell us SOMETHING!?!?! Our server may have A lot of People Number-wise at a glance but NO-ONE IS ON!! can't do any lowbie Flashpoints and HM Flashpoints are even harder to get groups for and PVP forget about it.....if its not Midnight EDT good luck on your wait to queue time, the Pub pop has always sucked now its slightly worse than it was before. All i ask is for some kind of info on whats going to happen with us? If you can Hook up heavily populated servers like Fatman and Jedi Covenant then surely you can hook us up too. BEFORE YOUR SHIFT IS OVER!!

Because you are not entitled to it. If I have two friends, and I give one of them a gift, can the other demand compensation from me because I didn't give him a gift? Especially if I was already going to give him a gift next week? Why not? He's just as much my friend as the other.

And nothing is stopping you from logging in and playing the game. You could roll a new character on one of the destination servers, you could log into one of your old characters and do dailies or whatever, you could level up a low level alt if you have any. So saying you are unable to play the game is an invalid argument. You may not want do to do any of these things, and that is your choice.

I have a question that I am sure has been asked, but that I haven't seen answered directly. Canderous Ordo is my primary server, and I have a few characters on other servers. CO is a destination server for some of my characters on certain servers, but not for all of them (I'm specifically thinking of moving my Krayt Dragon characters). Why should it change the population metrics for me to transfer any of my characters to CO since I am already established there?

This seems like a no brainer to me to simply let people transfer character to servers where they have existing characters. They can create new characters on those servers as long as they have the slots any way, so how does allowing this change the population?

It's sort of darned if you do, and darned if you don't. If they chose to take that into consideration, transfers would then take months to complete as they do a batch, monitor the effects of the transfers in that batch and adjust accordingly. In the meantime, even more people would drop their subs (in theory) thereby keeping the cycle going full circle.

I´m sure that even more subs will get dropped THIS weekend because Bioware decides to wait...again.

Because you are not entitled to it. If I have two friends, and I give one of them a gift, can the other demand compensation from me because I didn't give him a gift? Especially if I was already going to give him a gift next week? Why not? He's just as much my friend as the other.

And nothing is stopping you from logging in and playing the game. You could roll a new character on one of the destination servers, you could log into one of your old characters and do dailies or whatever, you could level up a low level alt if you have any. So saying you are unable to play the game is an invalid argument. You may not want do to do any of these things, and that is your choice.

While you have some points, they are not helping calm people nor convincing them and in addition your friends aren't paying you to be their friend.

We cannot help but feel like the fat kid picked last for baseball. I hope everyone at BW has a super happy fun weekend, but if you would actually log on to those servers left you would find the game is unplayable as an MMO (not enough people). We get all excited only to go through yet another weekend of not being able to play?

Simple question and be straight with us since you obviously knew which servers you weren't going to transfer:

Are we going to be able to transfer or not?

I don't want to be on the server left open for the new FTP people coming in July. I would rather know now so I can work on a character I rerolled...rather than waste my time on my dead server working on my characters hoping to be transferred soon.

I am really tired of reading how everyone is so happy and can actually play with other people now that they are transferred when there are those of us left behind that seriously got the shaft. I came back after not playing for a month (Enjoy that free money) to find out we are one of the people not transferring because someone is measuring data and working weekends is too hard? This absolutely sucks. It is not okay. This is not cool. It is not pleasing fans. You knew exactly what servers wouldn't be transferred. Thanks for being so transparent. Can you understand how that is not cool?

Should it just be us who are in that remaining 20% of servers (in both the US and EU) be compensated or should everyone who was not in that very first batch on Tuesday be compensated?

Tough one to answer here. It was definitely logical the way they did the transfers in waves as to not overload the transferring, and even though I was disappointed when I did not see my server, it was understandable. That they are denying any more transfers for what is around 4 days to monitor populations is a big deal. They have the numbers available and know the amount per server which are actively logging in or total number of active accounts on the server. Measuring over the weekend isn't going to change that, and it just seeks to alienate the 20% of the servers remaining.

They could have made Sith Wyrm the final destination server, and at least gotten the pve east squared away. All 13 remaining pve servers will not fit on just 3 already full servers.

The sith server name must carry on, and Sith Wyrm is the last one available.

Edited by Hambunctious

Compensation? I'm not sure if that is realistic.

However, if you pay for a service and the service you receive is not of the same quality that 82% of the other people who paid the same amount for received, I do believe you can ask for a refund of money paid.

I'm seeing a lot of posts from the team celebrating the fact they already transferred 150+ servers. If a plane goes down and the rescuers save 80% of the people, do you thing they are celebrating? Why not pull a Sully Sullenberger and save everyone? Then we can all celebrate.

Giving someone a gift is a lot different from an actual paid service. How would you like to be waiting in line to return a defective product, while the person in front of you is doing the same. They give him a shiny new replacement and when its your turn in line, they say "sorry we might need to sell the ones we have left over the weekend, come back next week and maybe we can help you". This is extremely unprofessional for a business. Each customer should be taken care of, not thrown out. I shouldn't have to reroll or sit on a empty server with nothing to do while other are happily playing on populated servers.

They could have made Sith Wyrm the final destination server, and at least gotten the pve east squared away. All 13 remaining pve servers will not fit on just 3 already full servers.

The sith server name must carry on, and Sith Wyrm is the last one available.

And you will hear just as many cries for Vornskr or Mind Trick or any of the remaining servers for similar silly reasoning.:D