SWTOR and the communities expectations in dev and release

Jerek

When SWTOR went live back in december its was touted to be the giant killer MMO we had all been waiting for, or so some of you thought, (me personally I love the game) but the people who raged about it not being released with features X,Y and Z failed to take into consideration that more than likely the game would not have been released in December last year and would either have been just released or still be in development, which i'd lay a good bet that people would have raged about that as well.

my first gripe about some of the posters here on this forum about saying the game is too Linear. Umm of course its linear its telling a story! look at it this way, do you read a novel and skip back and forth in the book and truly understand what is going on in the story?

not enough worlds? how many worlds do you want lots of tiny little worlds wher you bouce from world to world in a tiny little map? or as the game stands now? personally im all for keeping the game as it is and developing the story of your character.

voice acting? personally i think this more than makes the game for me personally, i was getting sick of the wall of text quest giving in WOW and games of its ilk. so personally i think it was money well spent. if Bioware/EA went with the standard MMO model of minimal story telling VO i would have lost interest a long time ago. plus the voice acting is a hallmark of biowares games. if they had not gone with th WOW/Rift ame model we would in the very literal sense of the term have a reskinned WOW.

i apologise if I rambled on a bit but i needed to get this off my chest..:p

Tarrik

my first gripe about some of the posters here on this forum about saying the game is too Linear. Umm of course its linear its telling a story! look at it this way, do you read a novel and skip back and forth in the book and truly understand what is going on in the story?

First off the title has nothing to do with your post. Second of all you don't "speak" for "the community". Third of all just a thinly veiled whine about whine threads.

That said, the only thing wish to address is your lack of understanding on "linear" and "story". The "story" doesn't have to make the progression "linear". Story can be separate from progression with regards to single path vs. multi-path questing. Other games like WoW are built on a sort of hub system with overlaping concentric circles of areas to level in based on character level range. In SWTOR there is only one path period. No alternative choices are given in a particular level range. This could be solved by having multiple planets of the same level range or additional level ranges on existing planets ( think bonus series on Nar shadaa, Alderaan, Hoth for example). The main story could be in a "linear" path progression but the "planet" side quests could have options. This would add variety and would make leveling alts less tedious. Additional paths are needed. Most people that play MMORPGs are used to having more options with regards to where they level. In the end you prove that you don't understand MMORPG quest dynamics and neither does EA/BW. :rolleyes:

Edited by Urael

When SWTOR went live back in december its was touted to be the giant killer MMO we had all been waiting for, or so some of you thought, (me personally I love the game) but the people who raged about it not being released with features X,Y and Z failed to take into consideration that more than likely the game would not have been released in December last year and would either have been just released or still be in development, which i'd lay a good bet that people would have raged about that as well.

I always interpreted "Linear" in a this context to mean that the game's missions are restrictive or, "On the Rails." it's very "Go here do that, <cut scene> go there do this, <cut scene>." without giving the player a feel for the world, and leaving them with no need to explore it once they suck the storyline out of it. A "Theme Park MMO" Vs. "A Sandbox MMO" so to speak.

As for the rest of your post I agree, I don't understand what people are in a tizzy about.

I never intended it to come across as if i thought i was speaking for the comunity as a whole, if it did I apologise for that.

as to your comments about the linear story thank you for explaining it a little better than my understanding of how the mechanics should have been designed. that works for me, but i that were to be the case of more worlds again i think the game way possibly have been still in development/beta stange and not released.