Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

Glzmo

The interpretation is a little different. From the podcast, it seems like chat bubbles are still a fair way off, despite the devs knowing that we want them.
Due to this, my next payment to Bioware/EA will sadly also have to be a fair way off. Edited by Stubacca

• 2 weeks later...
You're actually comming off as stupid right now.

The issue is solved for the general population, but people with low-spec computers that might have issues even without the nametags might run in to problems.

Gee... If that were true, don't you think we would have chat bubbles?? I mean.. They are already in the game just disabled.. We had them at early release.. They were turned off due to performance issues.. They were actually temporarily enabled again by players by modifying one of the start up files.. They were then again disabled by Bioware.. I am guessing you either don't remember that or weren't here for that.. But during that on again off again issue, Bioware explained why they are disabled.. It was then said that if they had any updates on that front they would let us know.. Since name plates have the same issue to a lesser extent.. It is obvious that the issue isn't fixed..

Perhaps next time you decide to make some lame insult to someone.. Make sure you actually do know what you are talking about.. Because I assure you.. I am not the one that looks stupid..

Thanks.. ;)

Edited by MajikMyst

Gee... If that were true, don't you think we would have chat bubbles?? I mean.. They are already in the game just disabled.. We had them at early release.. They were turned off due to performance issues.. They were actually temporarily enabled again by players by modifying one of the start up files.. They were then again disabled by Bioware.. I guessing you either don't remember that or weren't here for that.. But during that on again off again issue, Bioware explained why they are disabled.. It was then said that if they had any updates on that front they would let us know.. Since name plates have the same issue to a lesser extent.. It is obvious that the issue isn't fixed..

Perhaps next time you decide to make some lame insult to someone.. Make sure you actually do know what you are talking about.. Because I assure you.. I am not the one that looks stupid..

Thanks.. ;)

I was here in Beta when the Performance issue and Honestly I don't mind if they put in in game as long as we have a control to shut it off completely. With the Issues I have on fleet right now when they add that I will not be going onto fleet ever again. I can run anywhere else with a huge crowd and not have any problem

. When I hit Fleet I have rubber banding and nasty lag as of right now, So I will be hitting our home planet and I shall put as much of the Legacy and rep stuff so I won't have to.

I was here in Beta when the Performance issue and Honestly I don't mind if they put in in game as long as we have a control to shut it off completely. With the Issues I have on fleet right now when they add that I will not be going onto fleet ever again. I can run anywhere else with a huge crowd and not have any problem

. When I hit Fleet I have rubber banding and nasty lag as of right now, So I will be hitting our home planet and I shall put as much of the Legacy and rep stuff so I won't have to.

The problem is, while that maybe true for you.. You have to know that there will be people that will whine, moan, and groan because it is turned on and they can't use it due to performance issues.. It is always easier to blame, and to make it Bioware's problem, than it is to face the reality that they may have an old or out dated computer..

So in this case, I would have to agree with the decision that it remain off, until it can be fixed and usable for everyone.. I am just not sure if the engine can support that.. As I said.. Even name plates to a minor extent are causing issues.. :)

Edited by MajikMyst

The problem is, while that maybe true for you.. You have to know that there will be people that will whine, moan, and groan because it is turned on and they can't use it due to performance issues.. It is always easier to blame, and to make it Bioware's problem, than it is to face the reality that they may have an old or out dated computer..

So in this case, I would have to agree with the decision that it remain off, until it can be fixed and usable for everyone.. I am just not sure if the engine can support that.. As I said.. Even name plates to a minor extent are causing issues.. :)

BW already confirmed that Chat Bubbles will be coming out, when the issue is resolved. The issue with Nameplates was the same, and it was fixed for the majority of players. Note, Majority. People will always have problems with some part of the game, but it doesn't mean BW turns that part off just because the minority can't use it.

So, Bubbles will be here at some point, and not in the too distant future. Of course with the ability to toggle them off for those who think it causes lag, or those who it actually does cause lag for.

I don't think you have ever posted in favor of adding anything to your perfect game. Just stop posting on the forums.

Something highly relevant to Chat Bubbles is a minimal Cantina with sittable chairs and specific social elements. I would call this the SWToR Social Environment 1.0.

So basically you made an off topic post to plug your own thread?? Shameless aren't you!! :p

Nobody needs chairs you can sit in to use chat bubbles.. That is a far stretch.. I am guessing you never played WOW.. WOW has chairs you can sit in and chat bubbles.. Guess what?? Out of 12 million people, nobody used the chairs or the inns that were available all of the major cities and many of the smaller towns.. They even had beds to lie in, and you could lie in them.. Nobody did that either.. I went into the inns a lot to change my hearth stone and there was nobody in there talking or sitting in some chair or taking a nap.. People were all just standing around talking where ever they happened to be.. Actually the most popular places people talked were where the vendors and the auction house was..

Edited by MajikMyst

I don't think you have ever posted in favor of adding anything to your perfect game. Just stop posting on the forums.

Actually I have.. Countless times.. To things that will actually improve the game or improve it's profitability.. I am also not against chat bubbles.. As long as there is an option to turn them off.. What I am against is the general attitude of entitlement and demand that Bioware needs to check in with them..

I have said all along.. When they get it fixed.. They will let us know.. I have said that countless times in this thread..

Do not tell me or anyone else not to post in these forums.. I am sorry if others and myself disagreed with your demand for a huge discount for transferring your entire legacy to a new server.. Like I said.. I only agree with good ideas and those that won't make it less profitable.. Your demand was not a good idea, and would adversely effect it's profitability... :rolleyes:

Edited by MajikMyst

I talked to the technical director of SWTOR at the community cantina event at Chicago. He said in the future, they could be there, but there is a problem with the inside the game to where all those would be going off at once would cause lag. They are slowly figuring it out. They will be here in time, like the previous poster said. He told me that they are working on it and it's never been off their list of things to fix. :)

I talked to the technical director of SWTOR at the community cantina event at Chicago. He said in the future, they could be there, but there is a problem with the inside the game to where all those would be going off at once would cause lag. They are slowly figuring it out. They will be here in time, like the previous poster said. He told me that they are working on it and it's never been off their list of things to fix. :)
Thank you very much for the update, mate. If people keep asking them about it they might just realize that it may be a good idea to finally implement them right.

the one thing about chat bubbles is I want a preference enabled so those of us who don't want them don't see them. I honestly support adding this to the game but I do not like them myself ( I have an aversion to looking like I am in a comic book while playing a game) so I ask you Bioware, add an option to disable chat bubble for yourself if you don't want to see it and just have the messages showable in the chat window for those of us who won't use them, that way I still get the message. That is something I want and some other people will want in case they do not like chat bubbles or get tired of them, again if you want chat bubbles that's great it will be a great feature for those who want them but I just to make sure I won't be force fed them either and can still see the messages in my chat window so I am not left out. Edited by Sangrar

I knew I didn't dream up that response lol. Thanks for the update! That is exactly what they told me at the NYC Tour :).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Happy thread anniversary! Well, perhaps not so happy, more bittersweet. In any case, I can't believe it's been two years since this very thread has been created.

When we started this suggestion thread, I like many others were certain that chat bubbles being added as promised shortly after launch. My personal guesstimate was 1-3 months tops with Bioware's promise of being implemented at launch or shortly thereafter. Yet here we are, a whopping 24 months later and there are still no chat bubbles in sight. In fact, judging from the recent comments of Bioware/EA employees, the outlook seems to be more grim than ever. Many have given up on the game, Bioware and EA since this thread has been created. But as long as there is a glimmer of hope, there will always be people fighting the good fight. And perhaps once the fruits are ripe, many of those that have given up and left will return.

I guess reaching the age of two years, this thread has been the longest running active thread on the forums! I wonder if we'll get a reward for that? Will someone high up from Bioware or EA drop in and extend congratulations? Perhaps Mickey Mouse himself? Will they gift us with a solid ETA on the patch that will add chat bubbles to the game, perhaps? ;)

On this "festive" occasion, I'd like to take the opportunity to extend my thanks to each and every one of You that has ever contributed to this thread and the cause it represents in a productive and civil manner.

Keep fighting the good fight! I'm looking forward to see this thread continue on strong until Bioware will hopefully show mercy to us soon and finally implement this feature!

Let the anniversary party commence with your comments, memories, reflection and jolly discussion!

Let Bioware/EA/Disney know how you feel! There should be enough imagined Wookiee 'ookiees and bantha milk for everyone! :)

Edited by Glzmo

Wow. Two years. Countless broken promises. Still no speech bubbles in sight. That's it for me.

I've been faithfully subscribing to this game in hopes for this promised feature to be added even though I couldn't really enjoy the game without it, but enough is enough. Two years without any firm date for the feature to be added in sight. It shows that Bioware and EA doesn't care about their customers anymore. All they care about is ripping them off while lying to their faces to keep them paying for features they promised yet never truly planned to deliver.

You have lost a loyal EA and Bioware customer since the early 1990s who has bought virtually every game that came out on any system I owned for good due to this. Bioware and EA will never ever see a cent of my money again. And I'll gladly recommend everyone to vote with their wallets and do the same. That's the only thing Bioware/EA will listen to, it seems, as there is no reasoning with them.

For those that will remain and keep fighting for chat bubbles, the original poster, Sawney, Ganden and all the others that I didn't mention by name I truly wish you'll get them one day. For me, that hope is gone, as I don't see it ever happening. I'd love to be proven otherwise, however.

Edited by Stubacca

For those that will remain and keep fighting for chat bubbles, the original poster, Sawney, Ganden and all the others that I didn't mention by name I truly wish you'll get them one day. For me, that hope is gone, as I don't see it ever happening. I'd love to be proven otherwise, however.

We'll keep on fighting. And I'll keep trying to use SWTOR-RP as a medium to promote the cause.

Happy holidays guys. Fingers crossed that we'll see something in 2014.