BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

Dovahbrah

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh...they've claimed the same crap before. For our big 'update', we got an interrupt and the ability to insta cast a heal in lieu of dealing damage. I have zero faith in them every fixing Commando.

Exactly. Oh, and then they also nerfed Merc Pyro's snare. 'Cuz they were really too hard for melee to kill. LOL.

Because the class has hardly changed mechanically in all that time?

So you're an expert on a class that you haven't touched since January?

Plenty of changes to the class, you should read the January notes and then compare them to how it is now. Oh, did they nerf your Gravround spamming? Poor bud.

So you're an expert on a class that you haven't touched since January?

Plenty of changes to the class, you should read the January notes and then compare them to how it is now. Oh, did they nerf your Gravround spamming? Poor bud.

Lol, your arrogance to ignorance ratio is off the charts. I love how you keep posting in my threads, even when you have no idea what you're talking about. :D I think I got under somebody's skin.

Plenty of changes to the class? Hardly, but keep thinking that. Anyone who spammed gravround was bad anyways. Oh, you had problems beating grav round spammers? Then you're even worse.

Here's some advice: stick to your marauder threads, because your knowledge of classes only extends that far, if even. Leave the other classes to the big boys.

Edited by Dovahbrah

For mercs, I think something that would give us a hand would be "movable death from above." Being able to move while using DFA would give us a bit of mobility and a good escape mechanism. Of course, the template itself should be stationary, and cancel only if interupted or out of range

For mercs, I think something that would give us a hand would be "movable death from above." Being able to move while using DFA would give us a bit of mobility and a good escape mechanism. Of course, the template itself should be stationary, and cancel only if interupted or out of range

Haha, that would look so funny/awesome. Mercs should be able to fly around and onto ledges and stuff.

They should be like Reapers from StarCraft 2.

Please give us something unique and useful to PVP. Something that would make us a valuable asset to a RWZ team.

1) Superior DPS (Like Pyro PTs. They don't need that much survivability cause everything that comes close to them melts)

2) Superior survivability (Marauders don't even need awesome dps because they can outlast their opponent with superior defensive cooldowns. Of course they actually do have massive dps but that's beside the point.)

3) Superior Mobility (Mele can Jump to a target on a completely different level of Huttball. Sins can Force Speed every 15 secs. Maras can frequently Predate. These are serious assets to OBJECTIVE GAMEPLAY. Hint Hint jetpack leap ability to target area would not be too much to ask for.

Notice: An escape mechanism WILL NOT HELP US because PVP is completely OBJECTIVE BASED. Winning in pvp has nothing to do with how much you die.

Hi everyone! I talked to Austin Peckenpaugh (Senior Designer) about Commandos and Mercenaries and their situation in PvP right now, and he had this to say:

I think it's fair to say that Mercenaries and Commandos have escape issues. Admittedly, they can be very hard to catch when used correctly to hug corners, but a lot of that "escapability" falls aside when attacked by multiple melee enemies, at which point they just aren't quite tough enough to sustain without further escapes. We have plans for the future that should give Mercenaries and Commandos better escapes in PvP.

After looking at this again I realized the mobility faction may be winning internally. Stop it. I don't want 'escapes' unless it does not require movement. Commandos are a primarilty a stationary class with stationary characteristics. It shares some character with Gunslingers. You can put mobility in the Assault tree if you want (I think putting a little mobility as an optional choice is fine), but as a rule retain the stationary character of Commandos. For Gunnery/CM think base of fire or support. You move only when you absolutely have to, not constantly or often.

If you don't want to waste a lot of effort like you did with 1.4 I would strongly advise you float what you are considering long before you start coding a solution.

Edited by DashaAdair

I take it back. There is a way an escape ability could be also objective based.

Jet-Pack Jettison - The Mercenary activates his jetpack to fly straight up in the air 15m. The dust raised causes everyone within 5m of the mercenary to be blinded for 5 seconds. While in the air the mercenary can guide himself in any direction for the duration of the ability (5 secs). Mele can not leap to a mercenary in the air, but the mercenary cannot cast spells either because it acts like a channeled ability.

We still need some type of entrench ability to counter the mele madness, but this would also help quite a bit.

Edited by Phasersablaze

Lol, your arrogance to ignorance ratio is off the charts. I love how you keep posting in my threads, even when you have no idea what you're talking about. :D I think I got under somebody's skin.

Plenty of changes to the class? Hardly, but keep thinking that. Anyone who spammed gravround was bad anyways. Oh, you had problems beating grav round spammers? Then you're even worse.

Here's some advice: stick to your marauder threads, because your knowledge of classes only extends that far, if even. Leave the other classes to the big boys.

Didn't know you owned the thread? We gotta pay royalties to post here? You make a thread on a forum, expect people to respond, unless it's locked.

You mean the big boy who hasn't touched his Commando since January? Or who plays his sentinel and keeps on QQing about how OP they are, with no real evidence posted to back it up? Your knowledge is laughable because all you do is flame people who disagree with you instead of providing discourse and intelligent conversations.

What you want me to requote your big boy talk that discourages differing opinions? Must really take a big boy to tear down someone else's opinion. So big, so huge. I mean, humongous boy really. But alas, just a boy.

Edited by AsiriusNazriel

We certainly need some tweaking and adjusting and I have faith it will happen eventually. With that in mind lets all get together with our creative collective mind and submit some ideas on new abilities or modifying current abilities.

Any ideas you have for the Mercenary or Commando advanced classes can be added to this thread I just started in the Commando forum:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=552043

I think an escape ability could be useful, but maybe something to encourage others around us and discourage our enemies is just what the leader of Havoc Squad or an Infamous Bounty Hunter needs!

Jyx Kingstar

Commando

Jung Ma

We certainly need some tweaking and adjusting and I have faith it will happen eventually. With that in mind lets all get together with our creative collective mind and submit some ideas on new abilities or modifying current abilities.

Any ideas you have for the Mercenary or Commando advanced classes can be added to this thread I just started in the Commando forum:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=552043

I think an escape ability could be useful, but maybe something to encourage others around us and discourage our enemies is just what the leader of Havoc Squad or an Infamous Bounty Hunter needs!

Jyx Kingstar

Commando

Jung Ma

Why post in your thread when there are dozens of threads like that that have been active for months?

I think I got it.... Commando/Merc should get a passive ability. The closer the Commando/Merc is to his target increases dmg %. Give something like 30% increase dmg when in melee range of target. 15% when 10m. And 0% when 30m. That would make the need to "escape" nil. We can call it "In For The Kill"

I think that would put us at the same level of Vanguards/Powertechs. It'll make people think twice before leaping in at us.

Thoughts?

Edit: Make it "Vs Player" only. So it doesn't effect PVE.

Edited by Asukaa

Didn't know you owned the thread? We gotta pay royalties to post here? You make a thread on a forum, expect people to respond, unless it's locked.

You mean the big boy who hasn't touched his Commando since January? Or who plays his sentinel and keeps on QQing about how OP they are, with no real evidence posted to back it up? Your knowledge is laughable because all you do is flame people who disagree with you instead of providing discourse and intelligent conversations.

What you want me to requote your big boy talk that discourages differing opinions? Must really take a big boy to tear down someone else's opinion. So big, so huge. I mean, humongous boy really. But alas, just a boy.

Says I fail to provide intelligent conversations, fails to read my OP. Yeah, I'm definitely under your skin, please continue. :D

I found my only real job as a merc and it may be how he is set up but he can take a beating. He is a big punching bag. I can take people 1v1 decently just because I outlast them but soon as I get a 2nd or 3rd it's over. But being a meat shield I can run in first and usually disorganized the opposite team just long enough to tag healers right off and let me team gang up on people. So I guess he is a good distraction. That and he makes a nice speed bump when I am guarding a node I can usually hold 3 guys off long enough running around and using stims til I get reinforcements. In the end I would say i die 8/10 times, but so feel I did a food enough job slowing the other team down to give my team a good chance.

Admittedly, I haven't touched my Commando since late January, due to the fact that I could see the train wreck that was coming later on. Once people figured out how to play their classes well, especially melee, it was apparent that DPS mercs/commandos would be at the bottom of the food chain.

What made this so obvious? Why didn't you blow the whistle in December or early January, why now when it's so obvious that Commandos/Mercs have issues.

Hindsight is 20/20 :rolleyes:

Right under my skin. "Oh guys! I knew about this trainwreck 9 months ago, yeah yeah I did... yeah yeah I did!"

Sure you did buddy, sure you did. ;)

While some of this is shared views by others, this is my personal list of the fixes that Gunnery Commando & Arsenal Bounty Hunter NEED to make them more viable in PVP:

• Have the Energy Shield (BH) and Reactive Shield (Commando) ability prevent interrupts while active.
    The left healing tree of BH and Commando already have this as Skill boxes...it needs to be innate to the class

• Seperate the 'Charged Barrel' (Commando) and 'Tracer Lock' (BH) stacks in regards to comsuming the 5 stack with Advanced Medical Probe and the High Impact Bolt / Railshot.
    You shouldn't have to choose to heal instantly, or do more damage with your Railshot/HIB. The stacks needs to be separated so you can do both.

• The skill boxes "Advanced Tech" and "Heavy Trooper" (Commando) & "Custom Enviro Suit" and "Integrated Systems" need a boost.
    I know they nerfed them a bit with the 1.4 update, but I feel they need to be boosted. They aren't worth the skill points atm.

• "Charged Barrier" / "Power Barrier" which reduces incoming damage by 1% per stack of Grav RoundTracer Missle.....needs to be increased to 2% per stack.
    Making it a total of a 10% dmg reduction, up from its 5% max now.

• The skill boxes named: "Power Overrides" (BH) & "Reserve Round" (Commando), need to INCLUDE reducing the timer of Thermal Sensor Overrides (BH) & Reserve Power Cell (Commando) .
    Many of us use both (for commando) Reserve Power Cell and Tech Override together at the same time. For as high as that skill box is on the Middle Tree, that ability needs to reduce the cool down of BOTH of those abilities I stated.

• The Stock-Strike and Rocket Punch knockback skillbox that the devs changed/broke....FIX IT! ASAP.
    It needs to BOTH stun/root the opponent as well as knock them back (like it used to before the 1.4 update). We desperately need that knock-back, back.

Edited by SOULCASTER

Instant cast Power Shot / Tracer Missile

We are not Snipers and should not try to emulate that stationary style as we will never have the tools to do so.

While that would be nice, I dont see that happening. I think the best we can hope for is a fix to our reserver power cell and tech override cooldowns, and use those for insta casting more.

.....that or maybe we can pray for casting bars while moving

Edited by SOULCASTER

I decided to roll a PT / Vanguard, this game is slowly going into maintenance mode (like Warhammer) so I'm not expecting any major merc/commando overhaul anytime soon.

Thing is, I don't know which one to pick for the cool factor, anyone can help me?

Edited by yoomazir

While that would be nice, I dont see that happening. I think the best we can hope for is a fix to our reserver power cell and tech override cooldowns, and use those for insta casting more.

.....that or maybe we can pray for casting bars while moving

Hmmm...kinda like a charging up of the weapon? That could work.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=532476

This thread have some very decent ideas on how to improve Mercs/Commandos. While Arsenal/Gunnery dps is very good, its infrior to snipers/gunsli*****s. Arsenal/Gunnery is turret-like right? But Snipers/Guns are MUCH better turrets in every possible way. I think the whole concept of Mercs/Comms is wrong, BH got a damn jetpack on his back!!! It should be most mobile dps not the opposite. I play Jugg and Mercs/Comms are free frag to me, shame, i wanted to play BH but i dont like Powertech, the way it is now i dont see the point of rolling merc.

Edited by Pawlas

The devs reference to "escapability" shows how little they understand how pvp is played at the top levels.

Right now in a match with top players, Merc Pyro damage output trails PT Pyro, Marauder and Jugg Rage by about 30%. That is on top of having less utility to the group. AND having less survivability. Merc Arsenal is frankly as bad, with the minor exception of selected situations where you need to focus fire on heavily defended targets.

For the people that will now inevitably chime in with the "I have no problem doing as much damage as others on my Merc", just can it. I've done 800k damage on my Merc Pyro, and yes almost always score highest in wzs. But I've done better on my Mara in full Recruit gear, and that was before the Smash Monkey era. For those that think Merc dps is competitive, go ask the best ranked team on your server if they would bring along your Merc dps into a rwz. LOL.

Despite these undeniable facts, the devs continue to believe that Merc dps is too high. Why? Because their ingame meta average stats tell them so. But those meta averages are biased because the only people left playing Merc dps are the best geared, most experienced, most stubborn players who won't abandon their class. On my server I can go a full week without seeing another Merc pyro in wz. So 99% of the Merc Pyro meta averages on my server come from my results. And thus Merc Pyro meta averages on my server are much higher than for any other class. BW sees that and resolves to nerf Merc dps. And they will continue to do so until the very best Merc dps players have productivity nerfed down to be equal to the average, undergeared players in a FotM class.

BW needs to abandon the reliance on their ingame meta average stats to guide play balance. They need to balance based on best practices for each subclass. Until that happens, nothing is going to improve.