Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

CourtneyWoods

They'd need to experience it slightly, just enough to make them want it and more importantly to make them want to pay for it.

I want to play all my charactor classes i paid full price for Pre-order pre launch customer and charactor class storylines (which is offered in the F2P model)

Ability to co op with friend occasional FPs.

the rest is crap i could give a **** about.

The Limits on F2P dont bother me much, they are sort of vague but,as a casual player i can live with most of the F2P limitations stated.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Runescape! Glad to see that the past 6 months of subscription has led to basically 0 end game content, the only good thing about this game was the actual journey to level 50. Other than that the enjoyment of this game fell way off. Besides, better games will be coming out in the Fall right when this game finally turns F2P which will only result in one thing. This game dying, more trolls coming, and less payments being made. Goodbye new Runescape, hello League of Legends. :rak_03:

My feelings on F2P.

I agree with some of the posts here. My thoughts are as follows.

If your going to have a F2P option or mode, then yes you better have F2P servers for this, so not to allow the lag get any worse then what it is now for Sub payers.

Put he F2P players on F2P Servers. We dont need more lag added by non Sub players.

If the lag gets any worse then what it is now because you allow the F2P players on Sub payer Servers, well you better think about how many Sub payers will get an attitude & maybe quit this game due to lag.

I agree on the Idea to let F2P players get just a taste of this game & NOT have any access to Sub payers content.

The Dev's will have to think of ways to tease F2P players just right, in just the right way to make them see what they are missing out on & want to pay for it.

One Idea I have is to grant all Sub paying players the best dam Armor & Weapons you can get in the game as a reward for paying for it. This would indeed be a great thing for the Dev's to think about. Yes,, Think about rewarding your Sub paying accounts with awesome rewards like this, content you just cant have in F2P content. Yes,,, tease the non payers into a frenzy enough to want to pay,,, Thats the ticket.....

Once non Sub payers find out how well Sub payers get treated with awesome free rewards for paying,,, now your talking... The one thing I must still complain about is the overall expense of Items in the game. Example, 300,000 for a lvl 3 speeder ride from Dark & Light side Venders on the Fleet? Come on Man,,, Stop this,,, Start realizing how hard it may be or is to come up with 300,000 credits to get it... There is a missing fun factor here with the high expense of all the good things in the game,& this expense trend is one of the biggest things that ruined SWG/NGE.

I was a 7 year Vet on that game & everything was so expensive it killed your intrest because you could not afford or it took too long to get enough credits just to get a better Jedi Robe... Come on Dev's,,, bring the darn expences down & put more fun factor in this game by allowing all the goods to be much less expensive...

You may be worried about credit farming going on. I know this is why you banned accounts in the past cuz you thought some people were doing this. I read the past post's here about what happen, & I realize your concern, but we deserve to have more fun in this game by being able to buy what we want at more reasonable prices.

This idea leads to another tease for F2P players.. Let them have the overall expense, & lower the prices on all Items for paying Subs. Ahhh,, Yes,, think it about it...This ought to get more people to want to pay for the rewards we should get for paying for it...Remember to give your Paying Subs free items like I suggest.. The best dam Armor & Weapons you can get in the game.. Let it be done with added Quests for lvl 50's. We,, that are already lvl 50 need more Quests like this to keep the intrest going. Your going to have to do way better then repeatable daily's.

Players are getting bored of the repeatable daily's already, this includes me,& with that my intrest to continue playing this game is falling FAST!! You've got to do something soon about keeping the intrest up by adding more lvl 50 quests for free rewards for paying Subs only....All this,& more should be part of the direction you are heading into.

I can only hope you read this, & make it so, Mr. Dev...

Thank you.

:rak_02:What I want to know is if anyone drops subscription this month and decide to wait for ftp and play that for the foreseeable future how many cartel coins will they have when ftp starts? In my case I pre ordered and played from the early access right through but on one occasion letting my subscription lapse by unsubbing for a few days just before renewal then resubbing

Is this calculation right even if i unsubscribe before the August to September period -

(months of subbing from very start of game) 8 x 150 cartel coins +200 cartel coins per month from September on until ftp starts :rak_02:

Edited by joneb

I and many other who subbed from the start will have guilds that they don't want split from when they go ftp and in respect for the support we have given the game since start we should stay with our guilds servers.

The one thing I must still complain about is the overall expense of Items in the game. Example, 300,000 for a lvl 3 speeder ride from Dark & Light side Venders on the Fleet? Come on Man,,, Stop this,,, Start realizing how hard it may be or is to come up with 300,000 credits to get it...

First of all this isnt that hard to get... secondly there has to be high price items otherwise everyone would have one.

The people that sit next to the GM all day making credits have to have some sort of reward, the same way someone grinds WZs all day.

Some people prefer the money making side of these games but there would be no market at all if everything was dirt cheap and there'd be no rare items.

I and many other who subbed from the start will have guilds that they don't want split from when they go ftp and in respect for the support we have given the game since start we should stay with our guilds servers.

I do believe that F2P should be on separate servers. But ONLY new F2P. It wouldn't be fair to start sending people off to different realms as soon as they miss a monthly payment.

If your already in a realm, then your not adding to the extra numbers that a new F2Per would be.

Read almost half of this thread and damn there are some ignorant people in this community. F2P won't be as bad as you think, what'll change? more people on your servers playing with limited content/access? They won't be able to join you in all your operations/flashpoints/warzones. They won't be able to sell the items they get/craft in the GTN. So what's the problem? If it helps the developers get the revenue they need to continue adding content to the game, content that I'm sure subscribers will get first, it's great right?

Regarding the Cartel Market (?) and the items it might have. If they're purely cosmetic then it's all good. But if it's equipment (with bonuses) that you can't get without paying, some people think that'll be *unfair* to give paying subscribers an advantage over the free players. How is that unfair? You pay for more content, you get it. Nothing *unfair* about it. There should be more content that you have to *pay* to get, it'll give the free players an incentive to start paying a subscription.

I've been paying for the game since January, no breaks (even though I stopped playing for 2 months I didn't stop the subscription). I hope that the game succeeds. I pay for the game and I get to play the game. I'm satisfied with what I get. The problem with the majority of MMORPG players now is that they think they're entitled to everything from the get go because they give up their precious $15 a month. It's really annoying to see so many members of this community constantly demanding content/updates all the time. I'm sure they're working on it, they're not a bunch of idiots, it takes *time*. It'll happen, stop whining. I think people need to give the game some more time before shouting "IT'S DEAD" and "but Y has X why doesn't SWTOR have X".

Now when the game goes F2P should the subscribers have a larger voice on what updates/content the game should have? I think so. Because if a large chunk of the game is free, then the money that the subscribers pay should be cut down, right? (logical thinking). Or keep it $15 but make sure the paying subscribers are the players who help give a direction for new content. (people won't like that though).

I don't know, just wanted to contribute my thoughts.

Edited by Prekesh

I have a few questions:

If there are separate servers for F2P and P2P, what happens when you switch to start paying? Would a free character transfer take place? Or does the F2P servers end up being a mix? Or for that matter when someone needs to drop a sub for X amount of time, do they have to transfer to a F2P server? Or maybe we should make Cancelled Sub Servers also for those people that stop paying or pay for the X amount it takes them to grind through new content and then move to a different game? Finally, this is a game right? Sometimes I wonder.

Edited by cymerian

If they're purely cosmetic then it's all good. But if it's equipment (with bonuses) that you can't get without paying, some people think that'll be *unfair* to give paying subscribers an advantage over the free players. How is that unfair?

So far the gear is said to be cosmetic only. The only worry is if they start to bring in stat gear... which they shouldnt. This would mean that although people paying subs can save their cartel points, they would also be able to buy them to get gear quicker... moving onto the 'Pay to Win' type of game.

However, there is no evidence from the Devs at all that mentions stat gear and I don't think they would even consider it. But to answer your question... Yes it would be unfair.

But top level sub players will be higher level than F2P players anyways.

What's more scary than F2P? It's Jeff Hickman, Executive Producer, being the spokesperson for this game. He might be a nice guy, no doubt about that, but as an executive in charge of a game is scary.

Do some google searches about his thoughts with Warhammer online. Specifically balance issues between the two factions. This guy is not good for any MMO.

F2P RUINS GAMES!

Canceling sub a week prior to it auto-billing.

Time to move on to a different game.

Congrats on killing your game that isn't even a year old... Take a look at DC Universe that is what SWTOR will ultimately become... A PIECE OF ****!

Ruins games you say? so.....Why hasnt LoL, WoT, or Runescape died off yet?

Ruins games you say? so.....Why hasnt LoL, WoT, or Runescape died off yet?

I don't know what WoT is but the other two started out as free 2 play which meant that it would work because they were built with that model in mind.

I think going FTP is a great idea both as a business decision and for the game and community. It will provide more players and make the game more enjoyable. It will also provide more revenue as you'll have a larger base of prospective customers to purchase in-game items, etc.

I personally plan on keeping my subscription and am looking forward to the CE bonus, but my 2 friends that I purchased the CE for at X-Mas no longer really play. I think they'll come back with this.

I also want to say that I think there is FAR too much complaining about this game. It took WoW 2 years to get good. I for one highly appreciate all of the work that went into making a beautiful, highly detailed and interesting world with great story that really makes this game different and fun to play. Could there be improvements? Sure. Anything can be improved. But you guys got off to a great start and deserve a big "well done" for that. Keep going. Keep the faith. We are! :)

Edited by Dyhanna

"Since launch, our team has spent a lot of time trying to find new ways to be able to bring the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ experience to as many potential players as possible."

False, The correct way for bring the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ experience to as many potential players as possible is translating the game to more languajes like the languajes you put inte collector edition box ¬¬, not only english, french and german because not all the people speak and read english, french or german.

If you really want more playes, translate the game or at least put it with subtitles in other languajes.

Thanks.

Bye.

False, The correct way for bring the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ experience to as many potential players as possible is translating the game to more languajes like the languajes you put inte collector edition box ¬¬, not only english, french and german because not all the people speak and read english, french or german.

If you really want more playes, translate the game or at least put it with subtitles in other languajes.

Thanks.

Bye.

I completely agree! :jawa_biggrin:

Subscribing swtor players should be able to queue gathering and mission missions if that makes sense to you. Should be able to queue up to 5 missions like for the crafting skills and per characher. Now for f2p'ers they should only queue up to two per companion or just one. Makes it a bit worth it IMO, now what do YOU guys think?

Unreal. I for one will continue to pay just for the fact im not no walfare, want everything handed to me, piece of garbage. thats the problem with people. want everything just handed to them "ill only play if it goes f2p" we dont want those people back they will contribute nothing to the fianancial structure of the game. they wont p2p then they wont craft. its work and not just handed to them. i think this is dumb. all i know is the pay players better get top priority when q'ing or anything and there should be area restrictions. LOTRO used to do that last i played. could only go to certain areas and get certain unless u bought the expansion. do it right bioware

THIS is what Bioware should have done, just like square enix is doin to FF14

It’s been a rocky road for Final Fantasy XIV. The game arrived as Square Enix’s brave new attempt to crack the MMO market. But it failed.

One critic wrote “the kindest thing that can be said about the FF MMO is that it has a good intro movie”.

Square Enix president and CEO Yoichi Wada even apologised to fans. The publisher extended the free trial period, reshuffled the development team, and issued several game updates. But finally, two years later, Square Enix made the tough decision to simply start all over again.

“It wasn’t simply a case of identifying shortcomings in the original game since launch, but acquiring a better understanding of the elements needed to produce the best possible game for FF and MMO fans alike,” FFXIV’s new producer and director Naoki Yoshida?told MCV.

“My initial instinct was that FFXIV should be rebuilt from the ground up."

The problem isnt the subscription, and going F2P is EA/Bioware's way of cowering after laying off half their team, unfortunately the problem is the fact that CONTENT never came, and still continues not to come, literally almost nothing has changed content or otherwise, in almost a year. Had they done monthly updates as promised and fixed bugs that STILL persist to this day from release,(example: GCD initiating after pressing an ability, but no ability ever went off, or the animation begins to play but no dmg done((ravage)). The fact is EA has alrdy stated they consider this "a miss", meaning it failed and they dont care/have the balls to do what needs to be done to fix this game, and admit their arrogance towards the community and customers' feedback, when this game was released thats what brought them to this point to begin with......

If bioware had of listened to 90% of the of the player base instead of ignoring us they would not have lost so many subs ive come back to look around but too little too late in my books. Some good improvements but instead of trying to repair the damage done to the customer base maybe just get some better customer service in place at launch..... would of saved a lot of dramas. Maybe something to look at for next expansion launch nothing worse then feeling like your being ignored for a service your paying for.

Thank you.. Thanks a lot.

F2P will only ruin the game and i for one do not intend to stay on board a ship that's destined to sink.

Swtor was a very fun game to play and you guys just ruined that.

Farewell Bioware this is the last time i'll ever buy a game from your company again.

How will this ruin the game? its not going to affect players who pay, they get priorty over f2p. True you can play to lvl 50 (i think thats too much free) but you still can't access all of the content. If anything this may entice the f2p to sub to get the full content. it does stink that it had to come to this so soon but it seems EA is doing what they can to keep it going.