Merc is TERRIBLE

Shredit

In a good long 14 min Voidstar I can break 600k damage. Thats pretty good for a merc. A PT Pyro can do that by spamming 2 abilities. You want to explain my operator error hmm? My assassin can kill someone in 4 global cooldowns from stealth. You really think Merc burst damage is OK?

/facepalm

the point. you missed it

Edited by cashogy

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How useful will more damage be if said merc is never in a position to use it?

The first 2 days after Patch 1.2 Mercs were awesome. Why? Not because they had more mobility but because they had untouchable burst. Don't you realize that PTs are just as immobile as us and have even LESS tools to fight mele (no KB) yet they do fine? Why? Because PTs melt faces. Burst DPS = survivability.

Edited by Phasersablaze

Hmm but from what you are saying - buffing this class to be identical to PT, what will we lose for that damage? Reason i ask is Bioware wouldnt let this class have it all (strong consitent dmg, high dmg bursts with short cd's & off healing when needed)

A mobilty buff (something like WoW disengage), even something like a flashbang aoe cc would give said commando/merc options - while this high burst scenario would leave them borderline op & susceptible to nerfs.

The first 2 days after Patch 1.2 Mercs were awesome. Why? Not because they had more mobility but because they had untouchable burst. Don't you realize that PTs are just as immobile as us and have even LESS tools to fight mele (no KB) yet they do fine? Why? Because PTs melt faces. Burst DPS = survivability.

merc was awesome after 1.2 b/c the devs messed up with the way that bonus damage on HSM was calculated.

sure, i enjoyed the day of landing crits with HSM for 7-10k, but it was not working as intended. proper testing wasnt done, and that was the result.

and like ive said over and over, merc does NOT need a dps boost. the problem is, as soon as we get pressure from even 1 other person we can be all but shut down. merc needs more tools to deal with things like gap closers and interrupts

Edited by cashogy

Merc is terrible while other classes are awesome...might be time to reroll PT or the famed SMASH SMASH, they nerfed tracer missile which i used to hit 8k on a single target and gave another class an AOE ability that can hit for the same damage...ED at 10m, RP is a root... makes no sense at all. Edited by Philastra

Hmm but from what you are saying - buffing this class to be identical to PT, what will we lose for that damage? Reason i ask is Bioware wouldnt let this class have it all (strong consitent dmg, high dmg bursts with short cd's & off healing when needed)

A mobilty buff (something like WoW disengage), even something like a flashbang aoe cc would give said commando/merc options - while this high burst scenario would leave them borderline op & susceptible to nerfs.

When we have grapple, 2 taunts, and the best burst in the game you might have the right to compare us to PTs. Not any sooner. Merc needs a massive damage boost.

Actually the AoE stun is a pretty potent tool against melee.

You're right that our burst is only "ok". Not great but "ok". And it's kinda ridiculous that a Vanguard's HiB hits harder than a Commando's because of the extra armor Pen they get, but saying our sustained damage is low when left alone to free cast is being disingenuous at best. If our sustained was that bad we wouldn't be so good on the PVE side of things, where let me assure you Commandos and Mercs have no problems.

Did they balance 1.2 around a bugged HSM/DR, then realized it was bugged and fixed it completely screwing us for months before they got around to fixing the Crit Multiplier talent for Full Auto (Deadly Cannon for us), Allowing Charged Barrel to stack 2 at a time, and changing the accuracy talent to an armor pen buff for both Full Auto and HiB? Yep they did that. They suck. And for a few brief shining days we had incredible burst. They changed it, because, again they suck.

You point to the crazy smash damage going out as evidence that it would be balanced for us to have our 8k DRs back, and that's just the wrong example imo because I think it's a tad broken.

I agree with the others that what we really need are utility changes. Sadly I think we need a LOT of utility help, not just a little, but they should probably introduce any changes slowly overtime to keep out the FotMers, and to actually have a chance to ASSESS a change and how it works on live before they make additional changes. It might be that just one of the proposed changes (like Hold the Line) would be enough to tip the scales and make us viable again.

What, personally, has me angry isn't that we've been left alone for so long in this sad state, but that last time they made an actual change to our utility it was to give us the interrupt we should have always had, and then nerfed what few tools we had in either DPS tree. *** BW?

In a good long 14 min Voidstar I can break 600k damage. Thats pretty good for a merc. A PT Pyro can do that by spamming 2 abilities. You want to explain my operator error hmm? My assassin can kill someone in 4 global cooldowns from stealth. You really think Merc burst damage is OK?

Do you really think that it's OK for any class to take 20k HP in 4.5 seconds (starting from when the first ability hits from stealth), as you are claiming to do with your Assassin?

How is your Assassin's AOE damage BTW? Are you liking it compared to your Merc?

Which are the two abilities that you are spamming as a PT Pyro for 600k damage?

What abilities are your melee DPS Powertech using which makes them as immobile as the ranged DPS Merc?

Edited by Rassuro

Actually the AoE stun is a pretty potent tool against melee.

You're right that our burst is only "ok". Not great but "ok". And it's kinda ridiculous that a Vanguard's HiB hits harder than a Commando's because of the extra armor Pen they get, but saying our sustained damage is low when left alone to free cast is being disingenuous at best. If our sustained was that bad we wouldn't be so good on the PVE side of things, where let me assure you Commandos and Mercs have no problems.

Did they balance 1.2 around a bugged HSM/DR, then realized it was bugged and fixed it completely screwing us for months before they got around to fixing the Crit Multiplier talent for Full Auto (Deadly Cannon for us), Allowing Charged Barrel to stack 2 at a time, and changing the accuracy talent to an armor pen buff for both Full Auto and HiB? Yep they did that. They suck. And for a few brief shining days we had incredible burst. They changed it, because, again they suck.

You point to the crazy smash damage going out as evidence that it would be balanced for us to have our 8k DRs back, and that's just the wrong example imo because I think it's a tad broken.

I agree with the others that what we really need are utility changes. Sadly I think we need a LOT of utility help, not just a little, but they should probably introduce any changes slowly overtime to keep out the FotMers, and to actually have a chance to ASSESS a change and how it works on live before they make additional changes. It might be that just one of the proposed changes (like Hold the Line) would be enough to tip the scales and make us viable again.

What, personally, has me angry isn't that we've been left alone for so long in this sad state, but that last time they made an actual change to our utility it was to give us the interrupt we should have always had, and then nerfed what few tools we had in either DPS tree. *** BW?

Well said. Two changes in specific that just made the Commando/Merc community w.t.f:

Assault: Sweltering heat needs to be buffed back up to 50%, honestly that is all it would take for this spec to shine. As is, 30% is next to negligible and next to useless. Either give us an on demand snare or raise it back to 50%.

Gunnery:Stockstrike and it's knockback removal. Having a root is nice but having it tied to a 4m ability on a RANGED class is incredibly awkward, competent commando's can and do make it work but honestly the mechanic is ridiculous and I'm watching the very same Commando's quickly drop the class in favor of a less dysfunctional one. Add the knockback in addition to the snare, severely reduce the amount of Resolve produced, nerf the root duration and/or even the knockback distance but we need both. Rooting a melee 4m next to you as a ranged class with 0 interruption immunity is laughable.

I could go on, the class is preposterously dysfunctional but well over a hundred suggestions have gone into this thread as is, time to read it and fix the awkward class Bioware.

Edited by LeonHawkeye

Well said. Two changes in specific that just made the Commando/Merc community w.t.f:

Assault: Sweltering heat needs to be buffed back up to 50%, honestly that is all it would take for this spec to shine. As is, 30% is next to negligible and next to useless. Either give us an on demand snare or raise it back to 50%.

Gunnery:Stockstrike and it's knockback removal. Having a root is nice but having it tied to a 4m ability on a RANGED class is incredibly awkward, competent commando's can and do make it work but honestly the mechanic is ridiculous and I'm watching the very same Commando's quickly drop the class in favor of a less dysfunctional one. Add the knockback in addition to the snare, severely reduce the amount of Resolve produced, nerf the root duration and/or even the knockback distance but we need both. Rooting a melee 4m next to you as a ranged class with 0 interruption immunity is laughable.

I could go on, the class is preposterously dysfunctional but well over a hundred suggestions have gone into this thread as is, time to read it and fix the awkward class Bioware.

I'm gonna disagree that unnerfing sweltering heat would make the spec shine. It wasn't exactly turning any heads before the nerf, I don't see why giving it back the 50% snare would change things. The snare being 50% AND having charged bolts apply it 100% of the time AND a talent high up in the tree to remove the cast time of CB might make it shine (the last might make it slightly OP, but not sure, it IS weapon damage afterall). Some sort of buff to Full Auto wouldn't be out of line either since the tree depends on the ability to reset HiB anyway.

yes, an ability that can easily do 7-8k damage (ive had a 9k unload before even) is a blah ability :rolleyes:

*this* is the kind of suggestion that would make merc OP. the point is to BALANCE merc, not continue to god forsaken merry-go-round of nerfs/buffs.

then why cant ravage be interrupted?

Sorry but I have to call shenanigans on 600k damage. My Merc can go a whole WZ without dieing, and slapping the entire team around the whole time. You aren't going to hit 600k even if you only AoE and DoT everyone and just go for high damage. But to to hit 600k in RWZ is even harder since everyone else is a PT, Assassin, Mara, etc

And you said arsenal can get 600k damage in a rated? They cant even get half of that in a non-rated.

And "in heal gear". Arsenal...in heal gear....dropping 600k damage....in a rated. Cmon man

Well first off I can say he does this. How do I know.. because I am in his rWZ grp. I r a Bubble support Sorc (yes I know a f***ing annoying build that is e-z mode, but I make even the best of them cry cause I play with skill and kite like that rabbit at the front of a dog race.) But he will put up amazing numbers for a gimp class and still survive like a beast with a good peel here and there and bubble stun if necessary. I should fraps a few games for your QQ woes. Considering the heal thing the only reason why his heals are 600k+ at the end of a match is cause I am there to steal some of his thunder (considering they don't count overhealing for your endgame results). When I was madness spec (still kiting like a pro) he would average even higher in and out of rWZ and 2 man premade WZ's (my sorc "Shockn'Awe and his merc "Moonrunner") and 6 pugs. I do feel merc/commando is a bit gimp 1v1 as I also have a 50 merc who is also heals (I love support) in WH and find the dps builds total **** in the 1v1 bracket. But don't bash Moonrunner cause you can't pull those kind of numbers, bash the issue at hand.

Some are more skilled then others and some rWZ teams are better then others.. If you find yourself dying a lot in rWZ you need to find a tank/melee with better peeling abilities and a healer with a since of perception to anticipate the forthcoming of someone focusing you, as this could be a total game changer for a turret like mercs/commandos. Not tryin to piss in your cornflakes bruh just informing you that this statement from Moon is true.

then why cant ravage be interrupted?

it cant be interrupted b/c it was so easily interrupted previously, which took a large chunk of a mara's dps output away. the same logic should be applied to merc with unload, and it should also be made uninterruptable

I just wanna put this out there but in a rated match last night our opposing team had a merc put up 660k damage. Not sure what that means but just felt like sharing.

Without the details of the match (what warfront it was in, how long the match was, what the team makeups were, etc) or a screencap of the final scoreboard to give a comparison to the other players' totals... merely saying he/she did 660k means nothing.

That is the key to this debate- not that mercs/mandos are incapable of putting up numbers in a warfront, but how those numbers compare in effectiveness of role (dps/healing) to the other ac's in the game.

Without the details of the match (what warfront it was in, how long the match was, what the team makeups were, etc) or a screencap of the final scoreboard to give a comparison to the other players' totals... merely saying he/she did 660k means nothing.

That is the key to this debate- not that mercs/mandos are incapable of putting up numbers in a warfront, but how those numbers compare in effectiveness of role (dps/healing) to the other ac's in the game.

damage numbers do not tell the whole story tho, as that is not the problem for merc. our damage output is fine. we need better utlity/mobility, which is very hard to see from warzone stats. you would need to watch footage of the match to see exactly how things went down.

Ill see if I can get one posted it was a full length voidstar. Honestly I didn't even know there was one on the other team but our merc healer noticed and said "if we knew he was a pyro merc and locked him down he would not have achieved those numbers". I agree there is nothing wrong with your damage its your mobility that needs to be looked at.

not even mobility. just give merc/commando some dcds that allow them to cast uninterrupted and immune to kb's every so often like hold the line and something that's the equivalent of cover...just a temporary thing on like a 1m cd. I accept that commandos are turrets. that in itself is fine. snipers are turrets too, and they aren't retardedly ineffectual.

I'm full heal spec on both my main (commando) and my main alt (merc) so I can fully understand the envy a dps spec would have of our anti-interrupt shield, though I doubt you would see much of a difference if unload/full auto was uninterruptable either- you would just be choked/knocked/cc'ed/etc instead of eating the actual interrupt skill (which I'm willing to bet makes up a vast majority of interrupts you see now). But I fully agree that our overall lack of dynamic utility is something that really should be addressed.

We just don't bring anything special to the party as it stands right now unlike many of the other ac's. We really need something that would benefit the warzone team as a whole.

As a healer my wish list is going to be somewhat different than a dps in this aspect. Personally, I would be happy to see some form of ae purge ability that removes all detrimental, incapacitation, and movement impairing effects on the merc/mando and his/her nearby allies. Also, I'd love to see them unlock the single-target limit to trauma probe/kolto shell- why these effects were Ever limited to a single target when sorcs/sages can bubble their whole team and ops/smugs can stack healing probes is beyond me!