Stun locked in PVP! It's just too much!

Lord_Kismet

Bioware, please hear my call! You can still do this! Hit some home runs!

I've led our team for 10 years, with hundreds of players and never have I seen such a turn of events. There are things you can do though to win them back, I know it. If you just hear the community suggestions.

PLEASE remove Stuns from PVP.

Current PVP experience:

1) Run out of spawn.. Stun locked 10-20 seconds... Dead...

2) Wait 45 seconds...for door to go down.

3) You've just wasted 1 minute of a 5-10 minute fight

4) Repeat 1-3

5) you got to actually play for about 1-2 minutes and the rest of the time you where stun locked/waiting.

6) BONUS: remove the resolve bar - Resolve bar is a BAD idea. Once your rooted once.. give a 2-3 second immunity to roots like every other game.

This is something I brought up at the guild summit. The guy basically acted like he didn't want to hear it and "Knew better". 500K+ less subscribers (or more), maybe he didn't know it all. People HATE to be stun locked, it ruins PVP and frustrates your player base.

Be Bold and listen to your players:

1) Remove all stuns from warzones (keep in PVE of course!), Stun locking is the no 1 complaint among my members & myself.

2) Allow Knights / Marauders to jump to people in cover, this was bad change.

3) Look at the fact that you can't see healers/spells on empire side.. but on republic the Troopers are shooting off giant green beams in combat. Look here I'm the healer! DUH! Visually you can see who's shooting & healing on Republic, but very hard to see snipers hitting you and what direction & who's healing on Empire side! What an oversight!

In conclusion:

1) You want to go a long way with the community. Fix this stun lock problem in a big way.

2) Another way to win big is to let people MOVE their chars to where they are NOW. Let people have their 50 char, from the server they long left. I have so many members who would continue to play. Do this QUICKLY or your gonna just keep loosing players.

STOP listening to techs and other people. Listen to your players & the Guild leaders they hear player frustration all day!

Everyone, Feel free to post your experiences with being stun locked in PVP.

Here's hoping!

- Kismet

Leader, Ring of Destiny

http://swtor.kismetbp.com

2002-2012 - 10 years of Teamwork & Fun Together

Stun locking really ruined pvp.

Its especially hard on new pvpers- they get targetted since the game pvp system works on a who's gear is better wins system. That is immensely frustrating for someone just getting into the game, or just starting to dabble in pvp. Im sure it lead to a sizable portion of the player exodus.

Stun locking really ruined pvp.

Its especially hard on new pvpers- they get targetted since the game pvp system works on a who's gear is better wins system. That is immensely frustrating for someone just getting into the game, or just starting to dabble in pvp. Im sure it lead to a sizable portion of the player exodus.

Uhm. Welcome to PvP. PvP has been and always will be dominated by gear. Same thing with end game raiding and mmo's in general. Heck gaming in general is ruled by gear first and foremost. That's just the nature of the beast.

As for stun locking I hate it as much as everyone else. However if a game has CC it's going to have stun locking. Again, just the nature of the beast.

Really the king of stun lock games is not going to put in stun locks in their 2nd edition? The 1st one having stun locks made me quit after 10 minutes of playing.

They didn't really, the stuns in GW2 only last 1 or 2 seconds and you have to spec into them at the cost of something possibly more useful. So it's possible in a sense to still stunlock to a certain degree.

You can't tell if a BH is healing? So you don't notice the guy standing there pressing buttons on his wrist? Or the green bolts fired when they use Rapid Shots? You aren't paying enough attention then.

Also, I spot sorcerer healers by selecting them and see which abilities they cast, if they cast healing abilities I mark them problem solved

A better alternative would be to change the duration of stunning abilities during PVP rather then removing stunning in general. The reason people spam stun-locks is because its effective as hell and their class usually has no other means of defeating the enemy. Removing it entirely would also remove the viability of other classes such as GS and Operative, as they would simply become squishy glass canon's that are fodder and rather useless. The ability to hold off the enemy so you can actually damage them is one of the few things that makes these classes able to compete.

So yea, just reduce the duration and increase the cooldown for these abilities rather then remove them entirely.

As for leaping those behind cover. No. Its already way easy to kill a GS or Sniper.

Edited by Selvec

I dont see stun locks as a problem at all in TOR

The problem is when 2 or more players attack you alone, you will die in 99% of those situations. And if you find yourself in such situation every time you play you need to change the way you approach PvP. Sorry to break it to you.

• 4 months later...
They didn't really, the stuns in GW2 only last 1 or 2 seconds and you have to spec into them at the cost of something possibly more useful. So it's possible in a sense to still stunlock to a certain degree.

Except the thing with GW2 is also that:

Yes, there are stuns/knockdowns/immobilize effects.

The cooldown on them are usually between 30-45 seconds, though some skills might be lower.

The cooldown on stun breaking skills is roughly the same, with some lower CD ones.

As a Thief player, I have access to Basilisk Venom. It's a hard CC that turns them to stone for like 1-2 seconds. I have 3 skills that could break that. Shadowstep, Withdraw, and Roll for Initiative. By the wiki they are on a 50 (last I played Shadowstep was on a 30 second CD though I think), 15, and 60 second cooldown respectively.

Those few seconds are perfect. It makes you think about whether or not you should actually break CC then, or another time when you are in desperate trouble. It also leaves time where the same person could stun you again if they catch you at the wrong time.

Here, stuns alone are 4 seconds. Most have a cooldown of like 45 seconds. But the cooldown on your one and only CC breaker is usually double that of the CD of hard CC. It would be better if the cooldown on CC breaker was more like 60 seconds, compared to 1 1/2 minutes... Lowering it to 60 or perhaps a little less, could make a nice difference.

Yes, you should have moments when you get stunned and you only have a few seconds left on your CD for CC break. Otherwise, it would negate the point of stuns to begin with. But the problem is the same person could (hypothetically) stun you 1-2 more times before your CC breaker is even close to coming off CD. And this problem is exacerbated when pretty much every class has some form of CC at all times.

I'd actually suggest a few things:

-Resolve bar: needs to fill up faster and clear our faster. A stun lasting longer than 4 seconds should fill the resolve bar to 100% right away. Stuns upto 4 seconds should fill it to 75%, snares should fill it to 50%. 10 seconds after the last stun runs out, it should start dropping down again, taking 20 seconds to go back to empty. So basically: you should get stun immunity faster and easier, but the stun immunity should also be shorter lived, and not something you could save up for half a game.

-CC Breakers should have an additional feature, one that many teams won't like, but I think it might be necessary to bring back some of the challenge. They should remove all markings. It's basically standard these days to "mark the healer", and in some warzones, I now see players going out of their way specifically to hunt them. From the moment a healer runs out of the spawn area, he or she will be tracked, and all movements are easily spotted across half the map. No hiding behind a couple of boxes or sneaking around the enemy, that big mark floating over their head will tell everybody where they are.

The other option would be to simply remove all markings whenever a player dies, ofcourse. In that case, it could become a tactical decision to NOT kill the healers, so people can follow their movements and make a guess where all the other enemies might be.

I'd be happy if all stuns/CCs broke on damage from anyone, excluding DoTs already applied. They should be used as a defensive move first and a controlling move secondary. It would be a more rewarding skill when acting solo, either as an escape tool or to stop a ball carrier or healer, etc. when nobody else is around. But the situation where a group can gang up on someone, stun lock them, and all damage them down in a few seconds needs to stop.