Crew Skills in Game Update 1.2

CourtneyWoods

It says in that post that armormech can RE orange items to get the schematic, is the same not true for synthweaving? I have been playing with this on PTS, and so far none of the orange items RE'able by synthweavers that I have found would yield me a schematic.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Armor and Synth will be rolling in credits because every one is going to want the Aug gear and primary stat augs. I find my slicer alt to be a very good credit maker missions sell good on my server.

It's just not true.

I'm struggling to sell primary stat augments for 80-100k now, with increased availability the prices will be pushed even lower. On top of having to use high-end materials to make them as well.

Margins aren't going to be competitive.

On the servers I play on Scavenging is by far the most profitable gathering skill, most materials sell for more than high-end prototype (Underworld Trading) materials do.

This REALLY needs a yellow answer from Bioware:

Is REing a orange items a 100% chance to get the schematic, or is it less than 100%?

Right now there are a lot of orange world-drop sets that are extremely rare and one-of-a-kind (Supreme Inquisitor set for example, the ONLY imperial light armor robe+pants set available) and who is gonna RE them if it's a less than 100% chance for fear of losing the ultra rare item?

Okay, this has been asked numerous times, but between the waves of posts it gets lost every other page and never gets properly answered.

The first post states that

Some minor changes include producing an additional implant on a crafting critical

Excuse me, how depriving the ONLY equipment piece craftable by Biochem of an augment slot is a "minor" change? This is effectively killing the whole crafted implant market, and compared to adding augments to just about every other piece of equipment this seems like a really bad nerfhammer swing.

If anyone has access to PTS, please confirm if Biochem can no longer produce slotted implants, and if so, time to start crafting those as crazy if they will become a non-replenishable supply come 1.2.

P.S.: I really hope this whole "no more augments for implants" is just a typo, or a misplaced bit of information.

Edited by XenobiusLT

Pure speculation?

Well... I can confirm that on the test server right now, I can RE any armor that has aim or cunning on my armormech. Only level 20 right now so I haven't had enough orange items to be willing to RE any. I can also confirm that I haven't been able to RE any armor with willpower or strength. I've seen 3 or 4 armormech recipes drop from underworld trading so far. I haven't had time or resources to try to RE anything to orange yet.

I'd make another character to try synthweave, but I'm more concerned about unlocking my legacy first.

I love that they've added the 'Research Available' tag to items. I just wish it worked on items in my crafting list. I would hope it works on loot selection windows too, but I haven't done enough FP runs to see.

"In related news, Balmorra Microprocessor Corporation has announced the discovery of a critical engineering flaw in the 'appreciation' subroutine of their bestselling 'Droid Vocal Response Chip' used on almost all ship maintenance droids currently available. The flaw is said to cause excessive expression of appreciation towards owners entering the proximity sensors of their Droids and is likely to blame for the sharp increase in escape pod related incidents around the galaxy over the last two months. A repair and replacement plan for the affected units has been devised and is said to take effect in the immediate future."

OMG....i lol so hard that my Dark Side alignment went to Light.

For example, you will now see a 'Research Available' indicator in item tooltips while in reverse engineering mode,

Is there any chance we could get a toggle to always show the 'Research Available' and RE indicators on mouse over? Specifically, I'd like to know if something I can craft can be researched. I really don't want to have to craft something just to find out if it's worth RE'ing.

I'd also like to know if some loot I'm about to roll on has 'research available'. My own personal preference for loot rolls would tend to be Need > Research > Greed (for companions/alts) > RE > Greed (to vendor), but that would need more buttons on the loot roller or actually talking...

This REALLY needs a yellow answer from Bioware:

Is REing a orange items a 100% chance to get the schematic, or is it less than 100%?

Right now there are a lot of orange world-drop sets that are extremely rare and one-of-a-kind (Supreme Inquisitor set for example, the ONLY imperial light armor robe+pants set available) and who is gonna RE them if it's a less than 100% chance for fear of losing the ultra rare item?

I would also love to see this happen. In addition to the point made in quote, I also currently use 3 orange items that are only available as quest rewards, and would never have the opportunity to RE again should I fail the first time. I really don't see the harm in making Orange items have 100% schematic discovery, you know that going for crit-crafted versions of these armors will provide plenty of time and credit sinking on its own.... I think players should at least get to craft the Orange armor they want without having to be stressed out about taking a chance on a rare or one-time availability Orange item failing to provide an RE schematic.

Please give Orange items 100% RE schematic chance!

Okay, this has been asked numerous times, but between the waves of posts it gets lost every other page and never gets properly answered.

The first post states that

Excuse me, how depriving the ONLY equipment piece craftable by Biochem of an augment slot is a "minor" change? This is effectively killing the whole crafted implant market, and compared to adding augments to just about every other piece of equipment this seems like a really bad nerfhammer swing.

If anyone has access to PTS, please confirm if Biochem can no longer produce slotted implants, and if so, time to start crafting those as crazy if they will become a non-replenishable supply come 1.2.

P.S.: I really hope this whole "no more augments for implants" is just a typo, or a misplaced bit of information.

bump for a review or answer pls

Another clarification regarding augment slots:

In the mid-term (e.g. past Game Update 1.2), we are planning on adding means to the game that allow you to add augment slots to equipment you already have.

So while critical crafted appearances are the only source of augment slots in Game Update 1.2., this is a temporary arrangement that will change in the future when we implement means to retrofit existing gear (including social) with augment slots (without devaluing crafters in the process).

Much appreciated. Is it safe to assume that since you don't want to devalue crafters, the means will be craftable?

I'm glad they are trying to fix the crafting system. But let's be honest here. The commendation reward system and orange gear rewards trump anything you can get from crafting early on. And everyone gets commendations and orange gear from quest rewards.

Not sure we are playing the same game, if you actually do any crafting then you would know that the commendation Mods offer more End stat than primary stat.

Sorry not able to log in to my account atm but for instance at Nar Shaddaa level of mods.

The crafted ones will have like 23str 14end as to the ones bought from the vendor/commendations will have 14str/23end. Have yet to make a purple Armoring mod with my cybertech guy so not sure if they are even possible. But if a Crafter can make purple level armoring mods then they are going to be far better than anything you will obtain during your leveling process....not end game yet so not sure about that. But I know I prefer my primary stat over endurance, and if possible will always go with blue mods from a crafter( cybertech).

So many unanswered questions. This blog post really should have been 3x as long and had multiple concrete examples of exactly what would happen when REing each different class of items (quest oranges, heroic/FP oranges. Tier 1 purples, Tier 2 purples, etc). Vague bullet points with wishy-washy wording is not helpful and just creates confusion.

We can't read your mind, and haven't been in on all the internal discussions, so please be very specific. It will help prevent a ton of baseless speculation, and help us test, since unless we know how things are supposed to work, we can't know if there are bugs.

When I first came to this game the statement was (from endgame players) crafting is useless...

As it stands now, without the patch, I find this to be wholly untrue, I manage to keep my companions in competitive gear without grinding flashpoints over and over again, all of my mods, armor plates and enhancements are player made and outstrip commendation inserts.

I do not mass produce for GTN because I am not at the endgame yet, so I am keeping my gear where I want it, when level changing is not a factor, then I will hit the market. When they figure out the aug fix for implants I will be happy, but as it stands I am producing the implants and holding the aug slot ones, figure they will fetch a pretty penny in the interim.

I like the changes, I want synthweavers and armormechs to produce non class restricted orange armor, it will enhance the companion experience, as well as improve the customization of player characters.

So far looks good, thanks for your hard work BW...

Still no orange techblades/techstaves? Poor Akaavi. :(

From the patch notes:

A set of modifiable Techblades and Techstaffs has been added to the game.

At least one person in this thread

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=367612&highlight=techblade

mentioned getting an orange techblade schematic from an investigation mission. It sounds like a lot of these schematics will be mission rewards or based on reverse engineering.

So I could potentially RE the Jedi Battlelord's chestguard and learn how to craft it? It's a really good idea but if it isn't 100% a lot of people won't chance it on some really expensive stuff, like the Battlelord's chest or rare quest rewards/instance drops.

Also is there specific gear that will be limited in how you can RE? For example if I am a Jedi Knight with Armormech for some reason. I do Trouble in Deed on Coruscant and get the orange Jedi Knight chestguard as a reward. Can I RE and learn how to make that as an Armormech or is it Sybertech only?

Unfortunately, it makes sense. If you had 100% chance for being able to craft an item after RE'ing it, the markets would be overflooded with higher tier items because anyone would be able to just RE them and build their own. So, you run an operations instance and win an a very RARE item, RE it, then sell it. Someone with very high cash flow buys your overpriced hard earned effort, then RE it and does the same but undercuts your price. Repeat with other people who save up on their credits. You have a pricing war and an eventual collapse of that market, and some reasons to repeat the operations mission.

Basically, it rewards those who are very bold to try RE'ing as a profession. They find an item by questing, they RE it and find themself with an ability to make that piece. It's not a dead end if you fail in being able to obtain a schematic. You can spend some credits to have more chances to being able to RE stuff.

How far are you going to go to be able to sell more on the market and diversify?

It says in that post that armormech can RE orange items to get the schematic, is the same not true for synthweaving? I have been playing with this on PTS, and so far none of the orange items RE'able by synthweavers that I have found would yield me a schematic.

It's a chance thing. Will bad luck run in your pedigree (family tree)?

Keep trying and hope that people put out similar items on the GTN for you to buy and RE.

Alright mates, this stuff is good and all, but the race of Kel-Dor(Plo-Koon) needs to be added, especially with this legacy system, naturally it needs to be a republic/force user focus, then the legacy will add some diversity to it, maybe even add the planet of the Kel-Dor's for some storylines. I already have a legacy story for the Kel-Dor race and would love to see them in here, that is the main reason I am not playin either of the two jedi classes, and I wont play them until I see Kel-Dor, becuz that is the best race in the Star Wars Era. Thanks Mates. Go With The Force, It Will Guide You To Peace & Strength!

Unfortunately, it makes sense. If you had 100% chance for being able to craft an item after RE'ing it, the markets would be overflooded with higher tier items because anyone would be able to just RE them and build their own. So, you run an operations instance and win an a very RARE item, RE it, then sell it. Someone with very high cash flow buys your overpriced hard earned effort, then RE it and does the same but undercuts your price. Repeat with other people who save up on their credits. You have a pricing war and an eventual collapse of that market, and some reasons to repeat the operations mission.

Unlikely, as even the low level orange schematics are heavily materials bound. I expect the tier schematics to require raid mats and Mandelorian Iron/Star Silk, which is actually harder to acquire than the raid mats. Orange raid tier gear with an augment slot will be extremely rare on the AH, if it even shows up at all.

Good stuff Georg. May I make a suggestion? I know last night you were considering ways to make current orange gear augmentable. Some people were saying that you should have crafters make items that would grant augment slots and what not.

I have another idea after reading this. Why not just make the reverse engineering schematic chance on orange items 100%? This way, people would actually have an incentive to RE this gear. As it is now, I'm not going to touch my valuable orange items to reverse engineer them knowing I may get nothing and lose access to that appearance forever. But if you guaranteed that I would learn the schematic for the item (and thus I could get it back), it would be entirely worth it. And this too solves your augment problem. If people want their current orange gear to be augmentable, they can RE it and craft it. OR wait for someone else to do so, and get it off the GTN.

I think this would result in a very diverse amount of orange gear appearances - not just the schematics you guys added, but all the stuff that's currently in the game that people have been using and holding onto and don't want to lose. Just some food for thought. I really appreciate the way you guys have been listening to the community!

I have to agree with this view. But I can also see the developers looking at the orange gear for purchase and from Commendation vendors and not wanting to see those items being craftable. (I do not agree with that point of view but I can see it.)

Not having time or being able to clone my end game characters to the Test Realm means that I will not be able to test 1.2 until it hits the live servers. I am hoping that the developers are planning a 1.2.2 to address issues that come up from the testing on the live servers.

Another clarification regarding augment slots:

In the mid-term (e.g. past Game Update 1.2), we are planning on adding means to the game that allow you to add augment slots to equipment you already have.

So while critical crafted appearances are the only source of augment slots in Game Update 1.2., this is a temporary arrangement that will change in the future when we implement means to retrofit existing gear (including social) with augment slots (without devaluing crafters in the process).

Hey Georg, one question off of this:

So there will be some type of means for me myself to add augment slots to (most) every piece of equipment I have? Or will adding augments to existing equipment be something for a particular crafting profession(s)? Which would somewhat address my concern over 1.2 nerfing Biochems implant crit (will now double quantity as opposed to provide augment slot). Though I am unclear on what the reasoning for the Bchem change would be when you're adding augments for crits to other crafting professions.

Thx for all the responses you have put out in the past few days. Has answered a lot of questions I had.

In related news, Balmorra Microprocessor Corporation has announced the discovery of a critical engineering flaw in the 'appreciation' subroutine of their bestselling 'Droid Vocal Response Chip' used on almost all ship maintenance droids currently available. The flaw is said to cause excessive expression of appreciation towards owners entering the proximity sensors of their Droids and is likely to blame for the sharp increase in escape pod related incidents around the galaxy over the last two months. A repair and replacement plan for the affected units has been devised and is said to take effect in the immediate future."

THANK GOD

As for the rest, sounds great. Can't wait :)

Why is it so hard to get clear answers to simple questions about crafting changes in 1.2?

All I'd like to understand is the following:

Will it be possible to learn new orange schematics by RE'ing existing orange / modifiable items? I don't care that some new schematics will start showing up in missions.

If it is possible, will all crafts be able to do so (e.g. artifice, armormech, synthweave, armstech) and will there be any restrictions (such as social armor will not RE)? Again, I don't care that stuff becomes RE-able for mats, only if it is possible to learn schematics.

What are the chances, generally speaking, of learning a new schematic?

Will it be possible to learn modification schematics (e.g. armor, mod, enhancement, hilt, barrel) by RE'ing existing ones, and if so, are there any restrictions such as Rakata mods or vendor purchased mods will not be available for RE?

Also the question about implants should be answered. Will biochem really be unable to craft items with augment slots post patch?

Please no more quoting patch notes or dev comments with contradictory statements that fail to answer the questions. That doesn't help answer the questions.

I'm not interested in assumptions, only specifics from people who have been able to test stuff on the PTS, of which I am very grateful for any insight as it doesn't seem the developers have the time to spend answering all our questions with any specificity nor the capability to copy more of our characters to the PTS to help facilitate testing and communication.

Edited by DawnAskham

Why is it so hard to get clear answers to simple questions about crafting changes in 1.2?

That part I'm still trying to figure it out and all I could come up with so far would not pass for a decent explanation. :cool:

Anyway, I have the exact same questions and want the exact same answers. If any dev stops by this thread and deems us worthy of some enlightenment...:D