Dread Master Raptus (Hard Mode)

My raiding group has some problems with this boss when he's less than 50%. I am always (as soon as i taunt him) a victim of his Rising slash. His damage is enormous. Healers are teleported (they have a debuff). It turns insane.

If anyone could give some advice I'd be greatful.

Use CD's coming out of the phase. Have a Shadow or Guardian tank take him, if possible, and use reflect/resilience on the first lightning attack to buy your healers time. It can help to have the tanks and healers start their challenges earlier than the DPS.

You cannot avoid the 30k Rising Slash hit. However, the boss does this hit as soon as all three challenges are finished.

Have your tanks and healers enter the challenge immediately, and have your DPS wait until the "30 seconds remaining" message appears before entering.

That way, the tanks and healers will have more than enough time to position themselves and top off the tanks before the DPS finish their challenge and the boss does the Rising Slash.

My current understanding is that the boss should only be doing Rising Slash right after a challenge. You should not be hit by Rising Slash if you have completed the challenges a long time ago.

Other than that, it would help to see a recording of your group; other than that it is really a hit or miss on what your group is having trouble with.

Edited by Jerba

He mostly casts rising slash after 2xslash ( the small cleave thing). Either have your cotank taunt the boss after 2x slash or use a def cd after 2xslash. There are however rising slashes that can not be avoided because they are random but they hit a sin tank for about 15k ( so far less dmg).

what we do to avoid this boss to be a pain (and we has some big issues with him before):

- healers do not enter to do their challange. Small reflect from boss makes us no harm. As they are not inside, as soon as tanks exit their are topped off

- dps that is kiting Raptus if needed gets healed

- after second challenge apart from healers no one is taking their buffs. Buffs give minimal bonuses not worth chaos it causes as boss is not returning to his throne.

- after second challenge healers stay on throne and wait if they get teleported. Once teleported they stay on the outside ring with rDPS.

- after second challenges it is very important to do three things:

a) when boss does his big AoE, main tank (At this time) turns around and runs away from red circle so when boss jumps to him, there is enough space between boss and big circle AoE so that second tank and melee can jump on back of the boss.

b) off tank waits for driving thrus to go out, which brings main tank to 20% and then taunts. As of tank was close to boss there is no risk of boss jumping and doing another driving thrust as this skill seems to be used after each jump as well as on cooldown.

c) during boss big AoE cast, our healers focus main tank. Its SPAM HEAL on that tank. DPS/Healers get healed from scoundrel hots, sage puddle, and our commando rDPS throws his kolto bomb when needed. I also specced into self heal loosing some DPS but this helps healers to focus more on tanks.

This fight is annoying for one reason only. If you get unlucky and your tank gets Teleported, then your main tank is up in the air after rising slash, it is possible to loose either DPS or that tank in the air. Tanks should never be teleported as this makes this encounter very difficult. This week we had our tank teleported twice, but by focus healing one tank while waiting for other to return we managed to kill him.

I believe that this fight is all about positioning and tank healing at the right time. Once you healers will get a hand of it when to spam heal main tank, it will become much easier.

good luck

Okay, to be more exact - we've got it alright with the challenges. Inferno starts after them. Most problems we suffer are Rising slash (which is used as soon as I take boss even if use my taunt as soon as it's available) and about 60% healers teleports.

Raptus seems to have a pretty strange aggro-pool as well. When he hits me with Rising Slash and I fly away the second tank takes him with taunt. But if I come closer than about 15 meters Raptus gives up his tank and targets me again (all I use while coming back is Rapid shots) running to me and breaking positioning.

Macio, thanks, nice tips.

Raptus seems to have a pretty strange aggro-pool as well. When he hits me with Rising Slash and I fly away the second tank takes him with taunt. But if I come closer than about 15 meters Raptus gives up his tank and targets me again (all I use while coming back is Rapid shots) running to me and breaking positioning.

Macio, thanks, nice tips.

your welcome :)

as to this behavior ... are you sure your other tank taunts the boss ?? you are top two on the threat table. You are hit up in the air, and i believe that boss at this time put you on his IGNORE list (you know why bother with guy that is flying high into the sky). Then when you land his ignore list is cleared and boss goes back to you as you are still on top of his threat list. You land low on health, far away but boss moves on to you, jumps then does driving thrust and its a wipe again :p

Make sure he does taunt when you are up in the air, to go on top of the threat list or you will keep dying.

Believe me - recording videos is very good way of proving people they are not doing what they should. We are progressing Dread Masters atm. One pull one tank did not take bestia straight away and our scoundrel healer died. When i told him he was not facing bestia for about 4 second he was like NO WAY ... its a bug :p ... i watched the video and counted. 4 seconds he was back pedaling trying to get in from out bestia (that was going already for scoundrel healer). Now he gets bestia every time when boss comes down by better positioning .... but if i wouldn't have a video of it we could argue for hours why boss killed our healer and how it seems to have a pretty strange aggro-pool as well ...... (if you get my drift)

When we were first time on this boss i was about to quit, when i have seen how i go from full health to 10% in 2 sec (i play shadow), but we managed to do it.

You can check this http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6854603

("But basically it's an anti tank fight.

Juggernauts are bad on this boss, because Raptus has a lot of f/t damages juggs have very big problems to migate Juggs will get a lot of overall damage when tanking this boss and that puts them in very big trouble after they lost all their cooldowns. The worse your dps on Raptus is, the more problems you will get with all the force/tech damage on juggernauts in the last phase.

Powertechs are bad cause they don't have any real cooldowns for things like Force Execution. Good luck in eating every Force Execution hit.

Sins are bad cause when they get unlucky and don't have cooldowns (although Resilience is very good on this boss), well they are almost dead/dead.")

In my experience Rising Slash can be many times fully mitigated you can see here 3 times x 0 http://www.torparse.com/a/526101/3/0/Damage+Taken

Buts sometime not that lucky :)

Even if you get hit with crit (btw 25-30k) it is still ok, just it is not predictable and instant so healz & tanks has to react differently than on other bosses , swap on low health of the other tank, top main tank all the time, use cooldowns just in case, etc.

When we were first time on this boss i was about to quit, when i have seen how i go from full health to 10% in 2 sec (i play shadow), but we managed to do it.

You can check this http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6854603

("But basically it's an anti tank fight.

Juggernauts are bad on this boss, because Raptus has a lot of f/t damages juggs have very big problems to migate Juggs will get a lot of overall damage when tanking this boss and that puts them in very big trouble after they lost all their cooldowns. The worse your dps on Raptus is, the more problems you will get with all the force/tech damage on juggernauts in the last phase.

Powertechs are bad cause they don't have any real cooldowns for things like Force Execution. Good luck in eating every Force Execution hit.

Sins are bad cause when they get unlucky and don't have cooldowns (although Resilience is very good on this boss), well they are almost dead/dead.")

In my experience Rising Slash can be many times fully mitigated you can see here 3 times x 0 http://www.torparse.com/a/526101/3/0/Damage+Taken

Buts sometime not that lucky :)

Even if you get hit with crit (btw 25-30k) it is still ok, just it is not predictable and instant so healz & tanks has to react differently than on other bosses , swap on low health of the other tank, top main tank all the time, use cooldowns just in case, etc.

I am sorry but your post is very misleading. First and foremost, you say Guardians and Vanguards are bad at this boss but lets look at the following statistics : Which class got one shot more? Guardians? Vanguards? Shadows? Which class suffers the most at Raptus if Guardians and Vanguards are the worst? Do you see where I am getting at? If not, let me continue. I have a bis 78 Shadow tank and a BIS 72/75 guardian. If my shadow is under 27k, diriving thrust may kill me without any cooldown. That is why new healers have to be told to keep me above 28k at all times. While my guardian is 'bad' as you say, Raptus has never one shot me even in 69-72 verpine gear. My shadow in BIS 72 was one shot quite a few times.

Following on the above, my guardian always has a cooldown avaiable to stay alive and take reasonable damage compared to my shadow where sometimes I eat execution / driving thrust / rising slash with my cheeks clenched hoping my shield chance will give me the upper hand. This log is from 2 nights ago with full uptime on the boss and as i mentioned, quite a few of the abilities were taken without any cooldown. My guardian takes 5-7k less (highest hit) from rising slash. Maximum rising slash is 22k , worse case scenario.

On your second point where you say 'goodluck taking every force execution with a vanguard' is nonsense. We had the vanguard take all of them with two healers and he was fine. He survived from cooldown to cooldown because most of the time force execution did little damage. What was difficult to heal, to top him back up, was driving thrust. Also if you want to know how to get a vanguard tank killed in three 'boss' globals, use hold the line on rising slash. The boss will do 3 hits of 46k HP.

Edited by Leafy_Bug

I am sorry but your post is very misleading.

I have only shadow tank, the things you are arguing it is not my opinion (i cannot have such) i it is a quote if it not clear.

And the person says every tank is bad for this boss, if this not clear too.

Edited by jade_de_aguilera