Do i understand dulfy's dye-FAQ-correct?

bibobpipop

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least it will give the artificers something to keep making money from. What is going to suck is rare colors and/or dyes that comes from the Cartel market. You'll have to think long and hard about replacing those, unless there aren't any really rare ones.

• Dev Post

I am only reiterating what others have said but I just wanted to confirm that yes, Dye Modules are consumable. Once they have been placed into a piece of gear, if they are removed or replaced by another Module they are destroyed.

-eric

Why, med-probes, wartone-unlocks etc are payed too and consumed, don't see the difference.

Exactly. People don't have to buy it if they don't want to use the color either.

Edited by JimG

Players won't approve. It would be cool for crafted dyes but in case of those paid with real cash..

LOTRO and other games that sell dyes have established the precedent that dyes are single-use. Regarding those purchased from the Cartel Market, we can infer that due to their consumable nature, their price will be set appropriately low.

I'd suggest waiting until we see prices and the system in action before judging too harshly! :)

We can only replace a dye with another one, but not take it out to put it into another piece?

You understand correctly.

The extra layer of difficulty is the three different types of dye (appearance change, not color) and the fact that armor only has one dye slot in it (if it has one at all).

The preview system better be really good in game or there will be many tears in game and in the forums here.

Personally, I feel there should be a timer on ALL mod slots in armor... Nothing significant where someone could exploit it... just give you 5 or 10 minutes to allow swap back with no penalty.....because mistakes happen no matter how careful someone is... and with dyes... there is going to be some amount of "wth!?" when people see the final gear appearance until they get used to the system.

Edited by Andryah

LOTRO and other games that sell dyes have established the precedent that dyes are single-use. Regarding those purchased from the Cartel Market, we can infer that due to their consumable nature, their price will be set appropriately low.

I'd suggest waiting until we see prices and the system in action before judging too harshly! :)

In lotro, all dyes were ALSO able to be crafted if I recall correctly? I had my choice of paying a ridiculous amount for BLACK on the Auction house, or spending a few bucks and saving my gold.

Over half of the colors in this new system will be Cartel "exclusives" - this isn't at all like lotro's system imo.

Guild Wars 2 has a nice dye system so don't go and talk about precedents :p

Going with that reasoning I can say that WoW established a precedent of barber not charging real money-bought currency ;)

Players won't approve. It would be cool for crafted dyes but in case of those paid with real cash..

Then buy exclusively from crafters. Boycott big business! Support your local small-business crafters!

Over half of the colors in this new system will be Cartel "exclusives" - this isn't at all like lotro's system imo.

If you have followed CCM -> GTN market dynamics at all.. you would expect to see the cartel exclusive ones to be among the cheapest (credits) in the game.

More importantly....by being unique to the CCM.. they don't undercut the crafters by doing so. Crafters have their slice of the market, CCM has it's slice.. and the CE get a proprietary slice that they will wave in everyones faces and gloat about...even if it's skunk gray ( :p ). Plus the Security vendor gets a slice of the selection as well.

It's rather well thought out IMO. And I'm sure more will be coming to each slice owner in the future.

Edited by Andryah

Guild Wars 2 has a nice dye system so don't go and talk about precedents :p

Going with that reasoning I can say that WoW established a precedent of barber not charging real money-bought currency ;)

Two examples of how precedents have limited actual meaning in a free market. Some precedents are rather persistent (like $15 sub price for an MMO)... but "fluffy bunny style stuff" tends to have much less persistent precedent in a diverse MMO market. MMOs are very different from one to another in many ways (other then basic standards of UI and stuff) in their implementaion mechanics.

Personally, I think GW2 dye system is the best of class in the industry.... but I don't expect to see it in this game because the two games are completely different from initial design all the way to in game play. And WoWs precdent for "barber shop" is nice... but it does not directly scale to the customization kiosk coming in this game. And besides... WoW price gouges real $$ for things that will be relatively modest in price on the CCM in this MMO.

Edited by Andryah

Why, med-probes, wartone-unlocks etc are payed too and consumed, don't see the difference.

The F2P/Preferred people that have to pay for med-probes cannot complain since they don't have posting rights here. I have pointed out what an awful policy this is a couple times before, but that's mostly fallen on deaf ears. It is one of the main reasons why I don't evangelize this game to my friends.

Before I was a sub I was Preferred for about a month. I only used one of the five "free" probes because the elite I was fighting was being held at 1% health by a NPC. Every other time I'd opt to return to the med-center. Even if they were 1CC each I wouldn't buy them. I'd love to see the end of consumable probes but I'd accept a weekly probe stipend for non-subs (use it or lose it).

This is a huge QoL issue for non-subs that also affects subs. If you're in a Heroic with no healer, you'll have to deal with the out-of-combat rez cooldown or wait for the non-sub to travel back.

XP-Boosts and passes (FP, Ops, WZ, Space) I'm cool with. Paid med-probes are a real sore point with me. Not sure how I feel about the CM dyes. I certainly will not spend CC's on them.

I'm ok with this, since it will mean cash for Bio and business for artifice, as long as three things are in place....

First, the cost of the dyes that require coins need to be relatively cheap...and I mean cheap, like no more than 10 coin cheap each. I'm not concerned with GTN pricing since the market will set the price based on demand, and I think that's fair.

Second, the dye must contain pure white and black colors available in some way. And I mean actual white and black, not purple black or light grey.

Third, I would like to see the dye's effect on the armor before I purchase it or use it in the same way I can preview armor and the like.

Naturally it means nothing if I don't approve. Only those two criteria are what I expect, otherwise I'm open to what they want to do. I don't mind that they get destroyed as new ones get put in.

If you have followed CCM -> GTN market dynamics at all.. you would expect to see the cartel exclusive ones to be among the cheapest (credits) in the game.

More importantly....by being unique to the CCM.. they don't undercut the crafters by doing so. Crafters have their slice of the market, CCM has it's slice.. and the CE get a proprietary slice that they will wave in everyones faces and gloat about...even if it's skunk gray ( :p ). Plus the Security vendor gets a slice of the selection as well.

It's rather well thought out IMO. And I'm sure more will be coming to each slice owner in the future.

Apples and oranges - the items that flooded the market (like speeders) were random drops in packs. It sounds as if dyes will be intentional purchases, not fluff junk added to packs. This could change of course, but unless you know they'll be random drops in packs, I think it's wrong to assume they'll follow the same trend as other random items.

Apples and oranges - the items that flooded the market (like speeders) were random drops in packs. It sounds as if dyes will be intentional purchases, not fluff junk added to packs. This could change of course, but unless you know they'll be random drops in packs, I think it's wrong to assume they'll follow the same trend as other random items.

From my reading, admittedly my teachers would say my comprehension is suspect, it appears some are drops from packs, some are purchased through the cartel market, some from artifice and some from CE and security vendors. But, I'm not really following it too closely other than to think, hmm isn't that nice, dyes for the armor. what will they think of next?

Non random CCM stuff floods the markets as well though. I know.. I have bought a lot of it myself... I just wait for the sellers to cut each others throats on prices before buying. This will happen with dyes I am positive.

The random stuff has a sliding price curve due to saturation for sure.. and I make a business out of it. I buy selected items late in the cycle of a pack when prices are rock bottom, and then I store them until a couple weeks after the new packs go live. I make a killing remarketing old items where supply has dried up in the market but there is still strong demand. If there are dyes also in the random packs.. so much the better IMO.

Edited by Andryah