Is Assault Cannon Needed?

formosus

I never understand people who willingly lower their performance in the name of fashion =/

Because most people just want to play for the fun? And they don't make a game their life? :rolleyes:

Still, as long as you aren't hitting an enrage, it's your account. Do what you want, but don't try and sit here and claim your damage isn't any worse than it would be if you used an assault cannon. That is factually inaccurate. Just admit you're sacrificing performance you don't think you need for the sake of fashion. We'll all have a lot more respect for your honesty.

I didn't say I don't lose damage, I know I do, you are saying that, I can pretty much compare stats with a rifle and a cannon and see the difference, I'm not blind nor even stupid to realize that.

I just said that using a rifle, the dps can be comparable with a vanguard. I know that, I also have a vanguard, I just don't play it because of the stupid 10 mt range, which, for a soldier using a rifle is pretty much stupid in my opinion.

And YES, I am an assault commando and I don't have any trouble in PvE, nor even in PvP using a rifle. And for your info, I do carry a cannon around in my inventory for Ops. I'm not dumb to use a rifle in an Ops if I want to dps.

This is my skill tree if you want to check:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800bZMccZfhrrzorffdz.3

What people don't seem to realize is that this is just a freaking game ffs...

For general stuff (PvE, PvP, 50 & 55 HM Fps) I will use a rifle, that never gave me any trouble nor my group hit the enrage timer, but for Ops, of course I need a cannon.

Edited by Haggardbr

I personaly think that the Cells should be changed when you become commando to force you to use AC or you will not be in a cell. thats just stupid to gimp yourself on DPS and Charged Bolts just for looks. if your working on that logic then you need to just play Operative. Its like playing a Gunslinger with one gun or a Sniper with a Blaster Rifle. It works but your gimping yourself.

I am level 20, and I will be keeping an up to date AC and frankly I will probably use the AC 98% of the time. I was curious though, so I got a decent rifle, modded it, and queued for a Warzone. During the WZ another Commando told me that i should be using an AC. I told him i knew this, but I was simply experimenting. He told me i was a terrible player and such. I shrugged and kept PVPing.

By the end of the match, I had the most damage, second in kills, several medals for defending, and not a single death (which is mostly due to great healing)

What I noticed was, the only ability i wasn't using was Charged Bolts. I realize that ability does good damage, but at the cost of standing still for 1.45 seconds. I know its not a lot of time, but I did sort of feel more mobile and actiony. I feel with the cannon, i just sit back in one place. With the Rifle i could control the flow of battle, get in and out of situations, and generally just have fun. It was a good experiment.

I do understand that further in the gunnery tree there are things that take advantage of the AC and I WILL use that mostly. But sometimes I will feel like a Rifle day.

Maybe you shouldnt be so quick to judge, if the player can back it up, let him do it. Granted, I think it would only be good in PvP or questing situations. Judge the player, not the weapons.

Because most people just want to play for the fun? And they don't make a game their life? :rolleyes:

I didn't say I don't lose damage, I know I do, you are saying that, I can pretty much compare stats with a rifle and a cannon and see the difference, I'm not blind nor even stupid to realize that.

I just said that using a rifle, the dps can be comparable with a vanguard. I know that, I also have a vanguard, I just don't play it because of the stupid 10 mt range, which, for a soldier using a rifle is pretty much stupid in my opinion.

And YES, I am an assault commando and I don't have any trouble in PvE, nor even in PvP using a rifle. And for your info, I do carry a cannon around in my inventory for Ops. I'm not dumb to use a rifle in an Ops if I want to dps.

For general stuff (PvE, PvP, 50 & 55 HM Fps) I will use a rifle, that never gave me any trouble nor my group hit the enrage timer, but for Ops, of course I need a cannon.

so much for honesty

Right because somehow pew pewing with a rifle is intrinsically more fun than pew pewing with an assault cannon.

Also somehow wanting to do something well automatically means making it your life? Honestly I hate that kind of idiotic rambling more than the gimpiness. Why are you even posting on the forums? Pulling the "yeah I have a life" card on an internet forum is always laughable, and is probably the last resort of the truly gimp.

Also if you're gonna honestly say that a commando with a rifle does just as much damage as a vanguard, and you know because you have a vanguard, then my only conclusion can be that you are, in fact, a horrible HORRIBLE vanguard, which couldn't come as a surprise since apparently doing well would require you to make this game your life :rolleyes: Unless by comprable you mean they can be compared, which, since DPS is a numbers game is absolutely true. Here's a hint: there's is better.

I could do nothing but hit hammer shot in level 55 flashpoints and not hit the enrage timers on those bosses. That doesn't exactly make it a good idea.

Also pretty sure I gave you the "it's just a game" out already. Long as you aren't holding your group back and you're fine doing subpar damage just so you can please some sort of aesthetic sense, go ahead. You aren't in my guild, I don't have to play with you, level 55 flashpoints are laughably easy for DPS. I said I didn't understand it and I don't I'm the kind of person that likes to do things well. You're the kind of person who doesn't care if they do things well as long as it's good enough and you can look wussy doing it. That's fine. Nothing wrong with that long as good enough is good enough. But just own up to it instead of acting like you do as much as a vanguard. A good vanguard will wipe the floor with you if you try to use a rifle.

• 2 weeks later...

i think its the stupidly long inductions on assault canon skills that turns me off playing my commando more than i do. blaster rifle just seems smoother .though that might just be in my head lol

you will lose damage using a blaster rifle so i never do .. you have to respect the fact you should do your best for your team and that means assault canon

but i really do not think the damage assault canon skills do . make up for the length of the inductions . they do not give enough punch for the time your static

lol how many picked commando because of the cool mini gun in the trailers =p

Edited by Canmore
terrible grammer

i think its the stupidly long inductions on assault canon skills that turns me off playing my commando more than i do. blaster rifle just seems smoother .though that might just be in my head lol

you will lose damage using a blaster rifle so i never do .. you have to respect the fact you should do your best for your team and that means assault canon

but i really do not think the damage assault canon skills do . make up for the length of the inductions . they do not give enough punch for the time your static

lol how many picked commando because of the cool mini gun in the trailers =p

It's all in your head if you don't mind me saying. Skill inductions and animations are exactly the same.

People getting upset and calling people liars because of personal preference lol. The interwebz are funny.

Lots of people play a certain class because of looks. Vanguards look awesome but like many, I prefer to DPS from range. I like to be the guy standing on the platform in hutball makin it rain on dem hoes. Unfortunately, on my Commando I have to make it rain with my Cannon instead of the Rifle which looks so much better. I won't gimp myself but BW needs to tone down the AC some or give access to Mandos to be able to use the Rifle for any situation.

IIRC, the assault cannon has ~20% higher base damage than the rifle. This is the same as the difference between sniper rifle and normal rifle, or the difference between wielding 1 blaster and 2 blasters.

So go ahead if you want, but know you are gimping your base damage the same way a gunslinger refusing to equip an offhand blaster would.

IIRC, the assault cannon has ~20% higher base damage than the rifle. This is the same as the difference between sniper rifle and normal rifle, or the difference between wielding 1 blaster and 2 blasters.

So go ahead if you want, but know you are gimping your base damage the same way a gunslinger refusing to equip an offhand blaster would.

Just to clarify something. Assault Cannons and Sniper Rifles have a ~20% higher base damage than a Blaster Rifle because the "mirror-"Advanced Class is a dual-wielding class (Commando vs. Mercenary, Sniper vs. Gunslinger).

Back to the topic:

I personally like the Assault Cannon. I rolled the Commando because he uses an Assault Cannon and I rolled a Mercenary because he uses 2 pistols. :)

I can understand liking the look of the rifle and wanting to use it on their Commando when doing content where doing slightly less damage makes no difference. Also, to be fair, none of those in this thread who have said they use a Blaster Rifle on their Commando have complained about loosing some abilities to be able to do so (they know they are loosing out on abilities). They also all seem to agree that when doing content where DPS is a priority that they should (and DO) use an Assault Cannon.

So...

Can you use a Blaster Rifle on your Commando? Yes!

Do you lose damage when doing so? Yes!

Do you lose any healing ability when doing so? No!

Should others accept that you want to use a Blaster Rifle instead of an Assault Cannon to DPS when doing content where DPS matters? No! (That isn't even a fair question... would you accept it if a Vanguard Tank used Light Armor because he likes the look? probably not. would you accept it if a Vanguard DPS used Light Armor because he likes the look? probably yes, because as DPS it makes no difference.)

don't have a Commando yet

and if I had one id use the cannon because I like it

but if it were Possible to use everything except the Sabre Ability's as a Sage without a Sabre...

losing the stats would hurt sure but I'd assume 50% of all sages would do it just to make a point.

Edited by DarthSpekulatius

That's why I use a blaster rifle, because 1st I want to use one, 2nd I want the range from the commandos, 3rd the name "commando" is much more appealing to me than "vanguard" and 4th some cannons are ridiculously looking.

For PvP, SM FPs, HM FPs, dailies and general quests, I always use blaster rifles.

The only exception I make are operations, where heavy DPS is extremely needed. Then I understand the situation, other than that, I don't see a reason I cannot use a blaster.

And I've run dozens of Lv.55 HM FPs to this moment using a blaster rifle and NOT A SINGLE PERSON complained at me about that.

Well if i had seen you running with a BR i would have immedately called you a moron and promptly kicked you from my group telling you to get a blaster cannon you moron. I petition that all commando abilitys should need a blaster cannon!

• 2 months later...
Well if i had seen you running with a BR i would have immedately called you a moron and promptly kicked you from my group telling you to get a blaster cannon you moron. I petition that all commando abilitys should need a blaster cannon!

So many people throwing internet tantrums because someone accepts the risks involved with lower dps in the interest of personal pereference, just really drives home how many people seem to think that it's their way or no way.

Are you paying that persons subscription?

Do you have any right whatsoever to dictate how another person plays their game?

But besides all that, I cannot see how it's such a crime when they run with blaster rifles and are able to do so well enough to run HM Flashpoints.

I can understand if they do it badly and get the group killed, but being successful?

Also I agree an assault cannon should be carried just in case of certain situations.

I am not defending the AC vs BR argument here but the right to choose. It was given as a choice you shouldn't be surprised when people take that choice.

BTW I have a commando that runs with assault cannon.

(sry had to edit this post a few times. Came off as more aggressive than I had planned lol.)

Edited by Gjest

Do you have any right whatsoever to dictate how another person plays their game?

As long as we group together there are some standards that I want you to meet (like wearing the correct main stat gear)

If someone violates this standards to an extend that I don't want to/can't tolerate (for example: wearing light gear as a jugg tank, because "It looks cooler") I have the options to try to get you to change the violation point, leaving the group or removing you from the group.

The last one is only possible when the other players in the group agree with my point of view (at least over groupfinder)

I can understand if they do it badly and get the group killed, but being successful?

You can go into the HM FP's with only your blaster rifle on and if the other dps is good enough he can compensate it, that wouldn't make you any less of a jerk for knowingly hurting the group by not playing at your full potential.

Sincerely, You guessed it... someone who plays games for fun.

That's just a cheap cop out, you could justify everything with that:

"I pulled my teammate into a fire in huttball because I gives my joy. Who are you to judge me for it?"

"I didn't interrupt their tap, because I like to see turrets getting taken from our team. Why should I care what you think?"

"I roll need on every piece of gear that drops. How can you speak against me? It pleases me to get much loot."

Edited by Never_Hesitate

I understand that and i respect that choice. I'm not really trying to hate on those rights. just caught up in seeing so many people slinging abuse at players who choose to play their way.

That's just a cheap cop out, you could justify everything with that:

"I pulled my teammate into a fire in huttball because I gives my joy. Who are you to judge me for it?"

"I didn't interrupt their tap, because I like to see turrets getting taken from our team. Why should I care what you think?"

"I roll need on every piece of gear that drops. How can you speak against me? It pleases me to get much loot."

As I stated above I went a bit overboard in my previous post. However that statement was in no way relating to those types of actions. What you describe is obviously maliciously done and I agree completely unnacceptable. What I was referring to was more specifically the fun of playing a game the way I wanted.

I do apologize for any misinterpretation there.

Edited by Gjest

I understand that and i respect that choice. I'm not really trying to hate on those rights. just caught up in seeing so many people slinging abuse at players who choose to play their way.

As I stated above I went a bit overboard in my previous post. However that statement was in no way relating to those types of actions. What you describe is obviously maliciously done and I agree completely unnacceptable. What I was referring to was more specifically the fun of playing a game the way I wanted.

I do apologize for any misinterpretation there.

The problem is that the line between what is acceptable for a person and what is not, is not your decision.

The action of using a blaster rifle over an assult cannon when you know, that your dmg goes down could already be seen as an act of egoism (Don't get me wrong, I have yet to encounter someone who does this and it can be very situational)