Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BioWare are closing down Asia-Pacific servers of SWTOR. I just found this news on Google+ and I must say, I think it's shocking that BioWare would not listen to the suggestions made and would instead opt to close down the Australian servers completely. This will force me, and other Australian and New Zealand players, back to the laggy experience we put up with when the game first came out in the US and did not yet have Oceanic servers.

To make it even worse, names that we had secured on original servers are now gone, forcing us all to now change our SWTOR identities. I understand that other players had to change their names as well when the server merges took place, but older veteran players at least had the opportunity to keep their identities if they had active accounts. We are now going to be limited to hyphenated weird names because of the massive populations on the US servers.

Being an avid PvP player, the 200+ ping is going to be completely unacceptable and won't allow me to be competitive.

This is one massive nail in the coffin for Oceanic PVP players.

One of the three Asia-Pacific servers has a more than satisfactory population and a simple merge of all Oceanic players to that most populated server would solve the issues that BioWare have.

A less retarded solution;

Open free transfers to US servers for those that want to preserve their current server ruleset. PvP -> US PvP etc.

Open transfers from ANY US server to APAC ANY server. Some of our APAC friends are still stuck on US servers, some will take the opportunity to return home.

Add in your paid transfer service sooner than later.

After these transfers have been open for a month or so. Roll all APAC servers into 1. I personally DGAF what rule set you make them, it's not like RP servers actually have ANYTHING different about them to a PvE server and PvP, at least world PvP is a complete non issue and is mostly kids with lvl 50s and fragile egos killing lowbies on Tatooine from all I hear.

Congratulations, I just had to deal with a full quarter of my guild including some of our top ops team members announcing that they are canceling their subscriptions because the lag on a US server will be unplayable at top levels.

*slowclap*

Well done, Bioware, well done.

I'll add to the chorus of disappointment here.

It's not just about the degradation of network performance, either - it's about the disruption of community.

It's inevitable that at least some players will quit after this, and I'm sure that BioWare is taking a calculated risk that the subscriber losses are more than offset by the cost savings associated with shutting down the APAC servers. I wonder, however, if it has factored in secondary losses. When existing guilds find themselves decimated and established raid groups find themselves unable to raid after losses, will they try and re-establish on the US servers, or will they just quit the game? I don't know - maybe things will work themselves out - but even if things do settle, these actions really do leave a bad taste in one's mouth and stain the reputation of BioWare and EA among APAC players.

What a load of bs. The vast majority were looking for server merges with transfers available for those not wanting to stay and for those wanting to come back.

Jeck was spot on. We were lead on, meanwhile people were staying subbed, buying cartel coins etc to support the game to show there is still a pop and fanbase of the game in oceania. Now with all that support you've just turned around and **** on our loyalty.

"1. The issue in doing this is that two play-styles (PvE, PvE-RP, or PvP) would need to sacrifice their desired play-style in order to have one server with a higher population. We feel that it is important that each player is allowed to continue to play SWTOR in their preferred play-style. Therefore, accommodating all the existing play-styles was a primary goal. By allowing you to move to a NA West server, you will be able to keep your play-style"

You're worried about playstyle and yet one of the main reasons we voted to maintain an apac server was for PING. It helped playstyle and our ability to enjoy the game. PvPers said numerous times we didn't give a crap about moving to a PvE server. We were willing to give up the chance of world pvp for a higher pop, more community while maintaining our ping to be competitive. Which btw will be near impossible now on US servers. Have fun trying to make clutch half second moves to save the game. Oh look an american wins why? Not because of skill but because of luck being born in the US.

"The move to North American servers better delivers on our ultimate goal of providing the best play experience, with the most possible players, long term"

While there have been population issues. With the release of the expansion coming and what could've been a merge and still can be if you quit taking the bs EAsy road out, there would've been an excellent population for oceanic. This is just a copout. "Long Term" planning? What to have majority of oceanic players unsub. Only EA could come up with such a brilliant business plan.

---

Absolute crock.

KEEP SIGNING: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/keep-apac-servers-for-swtor-available-and-merge-them-into-1.html

Edited by Sinrei

Couldn't agree more! They released the game with the promise of APAC servers, we got them. They announced the expansion and opened pre orders under the pretense that our servers would still be there. They have essentially promoted and offered a higher quality service and given us a low quality service by removing the better performing/optimal servers.

How long until the wheels really fall off and they admit they already have a timeline for the game's complete demise?

you make a good point about better performing/optimal servers. shuting down the apac servers which are working at 125 percent. with no problems. is a stupid move when the harbinger with it's constant crashing at least twice a week is working at say 80 percent. this is a really bad decision that will do no good for star wars TOR

Hey,

I am the guild leader of the Templars of the Republic and the Imperial Illuminati on the Gav Daragon Server. One I am not pleased about this merge because all of my members will get lost. But my main concern was in the guild bank vaults. The Rep guild has 5 vaults while the Imp one has 2 vaults. Will I get compensation to get these vaults back after the transfer. I do think this merge is a bad idea for many reasons but I will try to work with it as much as I can.

Ashlyn Dubreas.

Everything I could possibly say on the matter has already been said multiple times, so I'll just add that I think forcing us Asia-Pacific players over on to the NA servers is a terrible idea. If I thought that being on an NA server was worth it for the extra population, I would already be on an NA server. This is retarded. Edited by Estarc
Spelling error

What a load of bs. The vast majority were looking for server merges with transfers available for those not wanting to stay and for those wanting to come back.

No, it was a simple majority out of a total survey respondentds of 92 that "would have been satisfied" with a merger. Keep in mind, a majority also would have been satisfied by transfers, according to that same survey.

If we go back to WoW, we will still have a NA ping, but we will be in an Oceanic community who function at the same peak times as we do and well... Just aren't so American.

I mention this because I have already unsubscribed and put in a ticket demanding a refund on RotHC.

Edited by BovineDeath

APAC Servers exist for the sole purpose of giving people in the Oceanic region the best possible connection and service... and you just took that away cause of a QQIng about population.

Would of been more believable if you just admitted that your shutting down the servers due to financial reasons than the bullcrap excuse about ingame populations. I know... if the ingame population is so bad, maybe recruit more people to play by actually "SELLING" the game to the general public of australia. I did not see a single game advert in Australia when this game was released besides the display cases outside my local EB Games store.

At the very least, you should be providing a free official Tunneling gateway with the EA servers from Sydney to NA West Coast to cut down out latency so its still resonable for PvP and Top Tier PvE... for shame on you, you seriously think your doing us and your APAC players a favour, SHAME ON YOU!!!

The left Hardbinger so we can have 24ms Ping... now your going to punish us with 300ms...

that kills PvP and it will be impossible to beat some of the tight enrange timer and quicktime boss fights in PvE as well...

I was looking forward to the next update... now I am not cause I know it will be one step closer for me to return to World of Warcraft.

Edited by Dirtyshadow

@Eric

Let me explain something. So you take the APAC population from Master Dar'Nala and you put them on the Bastion, and what have you accomplished. You have given APAC players higher latency and a very minimal population boost of US players that play in APAC Peek time. So lets say my Guild wants to recruit players on our new server. What is going to be the major player base on in our Operation time, THE SAME PEOPLE THAT WERE ON MASTER DAR'NALA you have fixed nothing.

The option put forward by the APAC community was to merge our servers together, it might not be perfect but we keep our low ping and increase the population slightly. PvE vs PvP servers is irrelevant because world PvP is none existant in this game, you are not even rewarded for it. I am sure RP players would at least prefer to have other people to play with. US servers were merged why can't ours.

I am disgusted.

If we go back to WoW, we will still have a NA ping, but we will be in an Oceanic community who function at the same peak times as we do and well... Just aren't so American.

Exactly! The competitive advantage that SW:TOR had in the APAC region over WoW and other MMOs was the local servers that kept me coming back - despite the lag in new content and a smaller population. I still had fun and pvp queues were still going and operations were happening. but now that advantage is being taken away I don't have much incentive to stay. I won't be going to WoW though.

So in the same breathe you show yourself to be a complete twerp and then try to recruit people to your stupid guild. That's one hell of a recruitment drive there mate, good to see the calibre of clowns they'd be joining -___-

Lol at us being twerps for actually having the foresight to see this coming and wanting to play this game on a populated server.

Seriously, I'm sad to see certain players leave the game, but truth be told, I have seen 99% of my friends in the game already quit months ago so I'm used to it by now.

As for the lag, I was playing with around 200 ping my entire time on APAC and still did better than most so I just don't get this argument that the game is "unplayable." Harder, definitely. But unplayable? Dunno about that. It does truly does suck for the guys who get the really hing ping (300+), there's nothing that can be done for you.

This is a pitiful attempt at sounding like you care about paying players of your game, if you are too lazy to give us a solution why even bother answering.

That is not a solution to the problem just a creator of bigger ones.

More people will now leave before you shut down the servers, therefore the problem will get worse.

We asked for a solution to the problem not more problems.

At least I suppose you won't have to waste your time not listening and not responding to us .

You are not fixing the problem you are making it go away.