Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A big thanks must go out to Eric for getting this done.

Thank you !

For getting what done? The third post after Eric's asks the exact same questions people have been asking since they announced this unwanted solution to a problem that most APAC players haven't been experiencing.

Your mistake is in accusing me of presenting arguments. I'm not arguing with you. I'm pointing out facts that are public record. Facts you do not like and you continue to pretend you have an option 3. Which is your choice if that is what you want to do. But the only person arguing here is you, and you are doing so from a false premise.

The facts are as follows.

EA refused to sell SWTOR in the Asian Pacific Region until after the release of local servers, as they stated that playing on US West servers would not provide an adequate play experience. Now they have decided to move us to US West servers to provide an improved play experience. What's changed?

Well one of the things that helped higher ping players was the global cooldown. It provided a set block on all players that was larger than the latency most players would experience. Now they've changed alacrity to reduce that cooldown, making it harder to compete with a higher ping rate.

Since launch they've added more end game content, where enemies have shorter cast times and shorter interrupt windows. Hard Mode Toborro's Courtyard, the cast time for the big laser drops to 2 seconds. With a 300ms ping I lose a significant portion of that window, making playing that content even harder. How the hell is a APAC player going to work with any Nightmare mode content?

The reason stated by Eric for the transfers to the US, was that server type was the most important thing to people. Hence why they couldn't just try an single APAC server. Now based on feedback, they're allowing people to transfer to whatever server type they want. Its clearly something that wasn't important.

People were limited to US West servers only. As some people may be in locations that get better connections to European servers, they're now allowing transfers to whatever server you want.

So based on feedback, this forced shutdown of the APAC servers has gone from people being forced to transfer from to one specific US West Server of the same type they are already on, to being a completely free transfer to US or European server. So why wouldn't we keep asking about a single APAC super server? Its the only restriction on their original, unwanted solution that hasn't been removed.

Edited by DuckimusPrime
combing two replies into one.

They told us a while ago now that we are being moved to US servers - rightly or wrongly. I'd rather still continue to play on an Aussie based server but as soon as they came out with the statement that they were moving us and closing down the servers I realised that this was what was going to happen. Server protest or not, petition or not.

All these people that are still moaning about having APAC super server, Bioware lying and trying to investigate the actual reason why they are doing it need to just give up and forget about it. You are wasting your time. Whats done is done.

Either you need to move to a US server or unsubscribe in protest. Either way BIoware/EA will not be that bothered. So get over yourselves and realise that you really arn't as important as you think.

If you are angry then so be it. But there is a large majority of APAC players that just wanna get on with it and its finally going to happen. I wont go as far as thanking Eric for it, I personally think that hes done nothing for the APAC community at all except for being the spokesman of its destruction but its happening and its time to move on or check out.

Grow a pair.

The reason stated by Eric for the transfers to the US, was that server type was the most important thing to people. Hence why they couldn't just try an single APAC server. Now based on feedback, they're allowing people to transfer to whatever server type they want. Its clearly something that wasn't important.

People were limited to US West servers only. As some people may be in locations that get better connections to European servers, they're now allowing transfers to whatever server you want.

So based on feedback, this forced shutdown of the APAC servers has gone from people being forced to transfer from to one specific US West Server of the same type they are already on, to being a completely free transfer to US or European server. So why wouldn't we keep asking about a single APAC super server? Its the only restriction on their original, unwanted solution that hasn't been removed.

This was never about anything else except money, specifically, the cost of maintaining operating server sites in Sydney. They gambled, correctly, that enough people would simply accept the transfers, and those they did lose would be offset by not having to pay for APAC-based server tech. There's simply no other way to look at this.

If someone would prefer to have an APAC super-server, great. Prefer away. Heck, I'm one of those people, but the time has arrived that we have to prepare for the one option we're being given. That option is a server transfer off of APAC. We have no other choices. None. Time to knuckle down and start laying the groundwork for your toon's new home.

Note: these rates can change due to your location, Testing location: Christchurch, New Zealand -/- ISP ORCON

The Harbinger: 172-223

The Bastion: 183-240ms

Begeren colony: 187-245ms ( Very low numbers for Oceanics )

The Prophecy of Five: 241ms

The shadowlands: 250ms

Jedi Covenant: 269-329ms

Jung Ma: 340-409ms

The Ebon Hawk: 290-412ms

Europe

T3-M4 : 353ms

The Red Eclipse : 335ms

They gambled, correctly, that enough people would simply accept the transfers, and those they did lose would be offset by not having to pay for APAC-based server tech. There's simply no other way to look at this.

Gambled correctly? I must've missed it where the server shutdown has already occurred and it was shown to be the right decision by their player base.

Heck, I'm one of those people, but the time has arrived that we have to prepare for the one option we're being given. That option is a server transfer off of APAC. We have no other choices. None. Time to knuckle down and start laying the groundwork for your toon's new home.

And we've still been given none of the information needed for that preparation. What is going to happen with character name clashes? Will people be given a refund if they've paid for name changes that they'll lose when they shift servers?

I'm happy the transfers are finally coming in. And find it hilarious people are calling 250-300ms ping 'unplayable'. You've clearly been sheltered by Biowares generosity for too long. How many other popular MMO's do you know that have dedicated APAC servers?

Fact is, the tORtanic has been steadily losing subs for a long time. It costs them less money to maintain less servers and they're going to wring this for all it's worth while it's around.

If you intend to roll with the punches and keep playing, why kick up such a fuss? If you intend to unsub, well you're saying you're no longer going to be a customer, why should they care about what you say? All the impotent rage in here would be amusing if it wasn't so pathetic. **** happens. They might be a soulless business, but telling them that doesn't change the fact. It's their game, and they'll do what they want. Shouldn't need to be saying this to a bunch of Aussies, but seriously; harden the **** up.

I have been watching this thread since April 2012 (when I unsubscribed) waiting to be able to transfer my characters to a server with population. 14 months later it finally happens, I have just resubscribed! Now comes the choice of which server to move to... any recommendations for UTC+8 timezone Australians?

Eric, we're two days out from being able to transfer. information. we NEED it

for instance

-guilds- what happens? we have to re make our guilds? rebuy guild bank slots?

-guild members with name changes because they're potentially taken how can our members find us without spamming chat on the fleet looking?

Legacy- can we keep it? or will we have to remake it

Eric, we're two days out from being able to transfer. information. we NEED it

for instance

-guilds- what happens? we have to re make our guilds? rebuy guild bank slots?

-guild members with name changes because they're potentially taken how can our members find us without spamming chat on the fleet looking?

Legacy- can we keep it? or will we have to remake it

I don't know why you think any of that is going to be different from last time. And why would you guild NOT have a message board or something where members can talk outside of the game? That's SOP for any guild worth its salt. :rolleyes:

I don't know why you think any of that is going to be different from last time. And why would you guild NOT have a message board or something where members can talk outside of the game? That's SOP for any guild worth its salt. :rolleyes:

This ^^^ I mean surely you at least have mumble/vent/ts or something to communicate outside of the game. LOL

Im Australian and been playing on Harbringer for the last 2 months never really had a issue with lag

( beyond the usual higher ping )

This is what I am worried about, does the higher ping afffect the game at all?

What about PVP, surely it is a disadvantage there.

This is what I am worried about, does the higher ping afffect the game at all?

What about PVP, surely it is a disadvantage there.

I have been playing on The Harbinger from time to time. I live in New Zealand and my latency normally sits between 150ms to 250ms. Gameplay is fine, even pvp. Been managing to hold my own. Your latency depends on a number of things. I know I am close to the exchange where I live so seem to get better ms ratings than some of my guildies.

From past experience with other mmos that only have servers in the US I've played with latency of 300 to 400ms and was still able to be effective in my role in raids. So speeds of 150 to 250ms should not be an issue.

Personally I would've preferred that BW tried to run one super server for us, but the cost vs profit of doing such a thing was probably not worth it. So what's done is done. I'm glad we know it is happening, and that it is happening soon. Will allow me to get things moving with my guild.

Someone asked a few questions regarding the transfers and how it will affect guilds, legacies etc. Don't know how they're handling guilds, but from memory when we transferred to the APAC servers last year the highest level legacy would remain on the destination server if you had more than one legacy. But of course I'm just guessing that is what will happen. Hopefully Eric will come back with some more specifics regarding this as I'd like to know as well, due to being the GM of Valorous.

Edited by Silvers

I wanted to ask what might happen if we transfer our characters, then want them back where they came from, do we need to wait for another free transfer or has a price been decided?

-Atom

I believe free transfers are only from the APAC servers, and they're closing down, so you will not be able to transfer them back. If however you're not from the APAC servers then I think you have to pay for your transfer. Then if you want to go back you'd likely have to pay again.

When you say 4th June, are you talking AUS time or PDT?

It does make a rather large difference, becaose most PDT time is actually the next day for the rest of us

It will undoubtedly be PDT, and thus the 5th for most APACers. Note the 4th is Tuesday(in the US :p) and the transfer code will probably be input and sent to servers during Tuesday(in the US :p) maintenance.

And will guild bank stay in tact as we don t want to lose anything in there?

Thanks

the last I recall, and maybe wrong on this, the guild bank had to be emptied. A request had to be made to CS for bank restoration. But that was vaguely recalled thru the mist of time.....

Seemed like the guild leader had to be the one to shut the lights of the guild out on the old server too, after kicking out ALL the deadwood, but again a hazy recall of many problems if he wasn't.

So with no updated FAQs we are left stumbling in the dark.....

One of the big things I'm most concerned with is name changes.

Clearly when I transfer my characters I'm going to lose all their names, despite the fact that there are no active players using those names on Harbinger. I tried to reserve them almost six months ago and no-go.

Having to change character names isn't the end of the world, but it is a pain in the a.s.s and just another reason to be frustrated rather than elated with this game.

Just my thoughts on the Jun 4th transfers, which doesn't need to be done on Jun 4th

This is only to allow those that want to move individual toons to a different server then the intended server merge, the server merge themselves with guilds intact will occur later.