The Rock Talks Star Wars

Selorian

Just saw Pain and Gain. He was quite good in this movie and was probably his best acting yet. I am fully convinced that he could pull off a character of some sort in this universe.
Not gonna lie I haven't seen much of his recent acting. Nonetheless my second reservation concerning this guy is his name. Not only is he associated with (come on we all know it) pretty average/poor movies but his name is too big and not in the right way. Star Wars thrives on less well known and/or versatile actors who can fit their roles without the audience thinking, 'hey its that guy from that!' The Rock won't be able to pull this off.

The fact that the only real reason people want him in this film is because 'he's the Rock' is kinda indicative of exactly why he shouldn't be shoehorned into the franchise.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not gonna lie I haven't seen much of his recent acting. Nonetheless my second reservation concerning this guy is his name. Not only is he associated with (come on we all know it) pretty average/poor movies but his name is too big and not in the right way. Star Wars thrives on less well known and/or versatile actors who can fit their roles without the audience thinking, 'hey its that guy from that!' The Rock won't be able to pull this off.

The fact that the only real reason people want him in this film is because 'he's the Rock' is kinda indicative of exactly why he shouldn't be shoehorned into the franchise.

You can't tell me that if they were casting a SWTOR movie today that Dwayne Johnson would not be an absolutely perfect fit for Jace Malcom. He could ace that same sort of role (if there was one to be had) in the new trilogy.

You can't tell me that if they were casting a SWTOR movie today that Dwayne Johnson would not be an absolutely perfect fit for Jace Malcom. He could ace that same sort of role (if there was one to be had) in the new trilogy.
Actually I can. If I saw Dwayne Johnson in a SWTOR movie at Jace Malcolm I wouldn't think: "Hey look here's comes Jace Malcolm!" I'd be thinking: "What's the Rock doing dressed up as a trooper? This April Fool's or something?" While he may be able to perform the role adequately (though not exactly well) - and his voice would be miles behind that of Kevin Micheal Richardson - he would not be suited for the role. Johnson lacks any real kind of versatility unfortunately.

EDIT: Don't take this as a bash at Johnson (although it kinda is :p) but I don't think he's good enough to really add anything to the franchise.

Edited by Beniboybling

Different strokes for different folks I guess... but I doubt he'll make an appearance in the movies.

Hope he does, rock has made impressive roles in G.I joe and ther films, if they get him in as a trooper or spec force he would do an outstanding job.

Actually I can. If I saw Dwayne Johnson in a SWTOR movie at Jace Malcolm I wouldn't think: "Hey look here's comes Jace Malcolm!" I'd be thinking: "What's the Rock doing dressed up as a trooper? This April Fool's or something?" While he may be able to perform the role adequately (though not exactly well) - and his voice would be miles behind that of Kevin Micheal Richardson - he would not be suited for the role. Johnson lacks any real kind of versatility unfortunately.

EDIT: Don't take this as a bash at Johnson (although it kinda is :p) but I don't think he's good enough to really add anything to the franchise.

I feel exactly the same way you do. Any movie that I see "the rock" in, the movie instantly becomes about "the rock" in my head. Clearly the guy has star power, and it's not like he's a bad actor, but he's "the rock". It takes me out of whatever fictional setting the movie is trying to create.

I think Sam Jackson has the same vibe going for him. Whatever movie he is in, he's Sam Jackson, not whatever character name they applied to him. I think Sam was a poor fit in the prequel trilogy and took me out of the film.

"Anakin Skywalker, I'd like you to meet Jedi Master Sam Jackson..."

I know that argument can be made for a great number of movie "stars", but people who have such an established... personallity and style, feel out of place in a fictional, fantasy universe.

Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or what so I'll just post in here, but Chloe Moretz tweeted this and winked at one of the inevitable questions 'have you been approached for star wars?' personally I think Chloe Moretz could add some BIG talent to the new trilogy, the idea excited me the moment that they stated that a few higher up people were pushing to bring her on board before they even announced the new movies.

http://instagram.com/p/ZBqZyJDnR9/

Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or what so I'll just post in here, but Chloe Moretz tweeted this and winked at one of the inevitable questions 'have you been approached for star wars?' personally I think Chloe Moretz could add some BIG talent to the new trilogy, the idea excited me the moment that they stated that a few higher up people were pushing to bring her on board before they even announced the new movies.

http://instagram.com/p/ZBqZyJDnR9/

Great addition to the thread. Though, I cannot find the question or the "wink".