take away the need button for wrong classes

This is a problem that will solve itself. There is no auto-cross server grouping. The inconsiderate will be mercilessly kicked and find themselves progressively blackballed on whatever server they reside on.

Your ignore list is your friend. The "kick" button is your friend. Acquaint yourself with them both. Gear will drop again.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really can't use stats on an item that can be modded as a determining factor if someone needs an item or not. Yesterday I rolled need on a orange item that was heavy armor with 3 mod slots.

As a powertech aim is the primary stat, the stats on the item were strength but only because of the removable mods. With this a class that uses strength could make the case it has stats they need and stats a powertech can't use, my argument is the mods are removable and I can change it to stats I need, so who is right here?

The strength class can use the equipment and the mods, so the strength class is more right. On the other hand, if you're the only one there who can use it, or the one who can most use the mods on it, especially the most expensive mod piece, the hilt/barrel/armor... For instance, on a Sage, I've rolled need on a double-bladed lightsaber when there were no other saber users. I promptly took all the mods and stuffed them in my regular lightsaber. On a scoundrel I've won the greed roll on medium strength pants, replaced the strength mods, and used those pants for 15 levels.

It really seems the best place to get gear is from vendors, then just keep it up to date by buying/making mods. Sometimes I think flashpoints mobs/bosses should ONLY drop empty gear. At least, there are only 3 other people in the flashpoint with you.

If you are feeling like avoiding buying the equipment, only the mods, you could outlevel an instance, then go back and solo it for your particular drop. Then, since the mods in it are useless at your higher level, just replace them.

3 times in a row now ive lost my class armor in flashpoints because people dont read the stats and just hit need. If a certain class'' stats do not match the item, make the NEED button be greyed out. They can always GREED on any item for their companions or to vendor if no one who can actually use the item needs it.

This would solve an awful lot of conflicts.

Lets be honest, they aren't going to get rid of the need button and only limit it to the valid classes in which the item can be used. A better suggestion would be is to increase the probability of the item going to the class that can use it more.

For example: A belt drops for a Jedi Consular Healer, but not only does the JCH need rolls, so does a JCDPS and a JKDPS roll need. The probability of the Consular winning would automatically increase. That is if the belt he already has isn't better than the new gear being rolled on.

If you need instance gear for your companion to viably solo while being at the correct level for your leveling zone, you are bad.

If you need instance gear at all to viably solo, you are bad.

Most green stuff are viable...

"Need" = want it, because it makes you more powerful, not because it is a necessity.

And I will continue to enable Master Looter.

Enable master looter and fnd yourself another healer.

I press the need button when...I need the item to equip, whether me or the companion I actively use most of the time.

The game rules don't specific any other limitations, you want to apply some home rules for looting, power to you, but don't expect people to want to group you *again* when you shaft them with master looter.

It's not WoW, you stay on the same server and you'll grow a reputation fast. Companions are part of the game, live with it.

Wow, you guys honestly value your companion's gear over other REAL player's upgrades.

Selfish p r i c ks from my eyes.

I have different gearing ideas than you do, so your attitude shows that you are a selfish spoiled brat who says 'That's MY LOOT' when someone else clicks Need.

You are the selfish one.

Edited by snooggums

Wow, you guys honestly value your companion's gear over other REAL player's upgrades.

Selfish p r i c ks from my eyes.

Have you bothered to read this thread at all? As mentioned earlier, my companion doesn't live his own life and pursue his own career. He is a part of my gaming experience, me the "REAL" player. The companion could have been a buff, a weapon, an ability, a skill, or whatever, but as it is in this game, the damage/healing output added, is made by a companion. I bet you hadn't reacted to this if I needed the item for an ability enhancement... :rolleyes:

I agree with the above poster too.

You should roll Greed for companion upgrades. End of story. That is, unless you ask the group if it's okay to roll Need on it for your companion and they agree.

Companions are secondary. They didn't contribute to killing the mob/boss. Players did. Players come first.

Needing on non-class gear without a heads-up would be a definite /groupkick for me.

You should roll Greed for companion upgrades. End of story. That is, unless you ask the group if it's okay to roll Need on it for your companion and they agree.

Companions are secondary. They didn't contribute to killing the mob/boss. Players did. Players come first.

Needing on non-class gear without a heads-up would be a definite /groupkick for me.

So 4 players contributed equally to some boss kill. Then only ONE (say there is one drop) can have the loot? What's for the others? Why not if someone else contributed to the kill to need it for his companion? The companion has not been out for the fight but the player has been there and has did just as much as the guy that can equip the gear himself. Especially in random groups you can't think like "hey this week he gets next the drop will be mine" - it's free for all :)

In all games I have played, people find some reason to say they “need it” instead of just rolling greed. Now it is I needed it for my companion, if we didn’t have companions people would say I need it for my alt.

The need or greed option is a company relying on the players to be honest and police themselves. In pug’s this maybe an issue in which case set up the ground rules when the group is formed. If this is a groing to be an issue, have everyone select need unless you don’t want it. People who say they need something for a companion, especially when the companion is not out, makes me wonder how they are checking on the stats of the item to see if the item is better or worse than they already have.

I'm amazed by the selfishness of players here.

Did your companion contribute to the boss kill? I doubt he/she did. As such, he/she should not be entitled to loot.

If your companion was out for the boss kill, I have no problem with you rolling need for him/her.

I can't wait until people start blacklisting people who roll need for companions.

This basically sums it up. While your companion might be considered an extension of your avatar, it isn't the groups responsibility to kit your pets out.

As long as YOU are properly geared, your companion will still be quite effective under-geared.

Needing on anything that is not meant for your class needs to be eliminated.

People need to make it clear from the onset what the loot rules are.

Need can happen, for companion gear.

Also, all Orange level gear is up for 'need', if you like the way it looks. You can swap out the skill mods on any Orange gear, to make it work with any class.

Sure you can change the stats, but you can't change the base type of item. If it is Light armor it will always be light armor. If it is heavy armor - a Consular/Inquisitor will still never be able to use it.

So 4 players contributed equally to some boss kill. Then only ONE (say there is one drop) can have the loot? What's for the others? Why not if someone else contributed to the kill to need it for his companion? The companion has not been out for the fight but the player has been there and has did just as much as the guy that can equip the gear himself. Especially in random groups you can't think like "hey this week he gets next the drop will be mine" - it's free for all :)

The others get the chance for their own loot on other bosses. If it is an upgrade for an Agent/Smuggler, you shouldn't roll Need on a medium +Cunning armor just to equip it to Vette. You should roll greed or ask the other players if it's okay.

Your companion can do just fine in greens. Players can't do Operations and other high-level content in greens. By letting the people who are actually going to use the gear for themselves roll Need, you contribute to the PvE community's progression. It's common courtesy. The people who actually NEED it should be the ones rolling Need. Nobody cares how cool your Kaliyo would look in epic BH pants. Those are for BH's first. If nobody else wants them, fine. Otherwise, roll Greed.

What I do is ask if I can need for my companion. If someone else needs it for themselves, I just roll greed, but if no one else needs it, and they don't mind I need it for my companion.

This is truly the only respectable solution. I will drop group on anyone who rolls need against me just for their companion.

I'm a tank, so that should sting the group a bit. Not trying to be arrogant here, but I'm trying to gear a character so I can perform the best I can as a tank. If their cakewalk solo leveling experience is really more important to them than their team mates, I won't tank for them. Simple as that.