Thank you for this.

casirabit

Direct Patching Coming to Steam on December 1st

No longer will you need to open the STAR WARS™: The Old Republic™ launcher to patch the game! Now, like many other Steam titles, The Old Republic will automatically stay up to date while it is installed in your Steam library. To prepare for this change, it is very important that you ensure that your language settings are correct ahead of time or you risk having a very large download.

Follow these instructions:

Right click on The Old Republic in your Steam Library

Select Properties

Navigate to the Language tab

Ensure the language selected matches your desired language and your current SWTOR launcher selection

When direct patching launches on December 1st there will still be a patch to download but it will be substantially larger if your language settings do not match. Thanks!

- The STAR WARS™: The Old Republic™ Team

I've really enjoyed all the back-end changes they've been making with Steam and the like. It's not flashy new content, per se, but it is small things that will help increase SWTOR's longevity.

I'm glad they didn't just released the game on steam and called it a day, integrating it into steam systems is pretty neat.

I'm glad they didn't just released the game on steam and called it a day, integrating it into steam systems is pretty neat.

will it change much, apart from automatically updating? The servers will still go down, etc? Or will this change that?

Not being negative about the idea, it's a nice change, was just wondering if we'll notice a difference :)

will it change much, apart from automatically updating? The servers will still go down, etc? Or will this change that?

Not being negative about the idea, it's a nice change, was just wondering if we'll notice a difference :)

Server downtime is necessary to install the update on the servers. This won't change that.

Server downtime is necessary to install the update on the servers. This won't change that.

one thing I've noticed is when I switched accounts now, it started to validate my files, will it do this all the time, or is it a once off because they are just setting it up

Direct Patching Coming to Steam on December 1st

No longer will you need to open the STAR WARS™: The Old Republic™ launcher to patch the game! Now, like many other Steam titles, The Old Republic will automatically stay up to date while it is installed in your Steam library. To prepare for this change, it is very important that you ensure that your language settings are correct ahead of time or you risk having a very large download.

Follow these instructions:

Right click on The Old Republic in your Steam Library

Select Properties

Navigate to the Language tab

Ensure the language selected matches your desired language and your current SWTOR launcher selection

When direct patching launches on December 1st there will still be a patch to download but it will be substantially larger if your language settings do not match. Thanks!

- The STAR WARS™: The Old Republic™ Team

Hi. Thank you for this. :)

I had big question marks over my head, when Steam started the 41 GB download. But i'm not sure, it has something to do with language settings. In my case, the settings on Steam were indeed set to "english". I play in german. But SWTORISTA said, she had the same 41 GB download, and her settings are obviously set to english. So maybe everyone has a 41 GB download?

Also a word of warning if you use a vpn or gpn like WTFast, Steam doesn’t work well with these other services.

So if you use them to reduce lag or get better ping and are thinking of switching over to Steam, be warned you may have to completely uninstall it from steam and re-download the game again to get it working with WTFast or other vpn’s.

Otherwise, this feature looks good for regular steam users.

On *SWTOR* (and plenty of others) it's necessary, but it isn't *inherently* necessary. If GW2 releases a patch while you're playing, you get an in-game notification announcing a two-hour timer. If you log out during the timer, the game updates itself, and if you play until the timer expires, you get kicked out and the game updates itself.

But in the meantime, the servers are still up.

Servers will most likely go down, I'd expect us to get the usual in-game warning of "servers will go down in 15 minutes". The difference is that with steam we'll be able to download the patch much faster than with the launcher.

As an example here is my speed with yesterday's download, and while I never took a screenshot of the usual launcher it only reached 10 mb/s at best. Steam peaked at 22 which is if I recall my internet's usual download speed, regardless I'm glad I'll be able to download things slightly faster now and can only imagine this as an improvement to the people in steam complaining about slow download times.

Edited by FlameYOL