Is it still worth playing SWTOR?

Javed

I've just joined swtor and have tried it for the first time. I'm in love with it. This is the best MMO i've ever played in my life and i never want to switch back to wow.

However, my concern is that this game is dying. I live in the UK, so cannot play on US servers due to high latency. I really want to make some good friends through guilds as well! :)

Is it still worth playing swtor and progressing to end game? Or will the game have collapsed by then?

Edited by Javed
grammar

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea about the EU servers.

The US servers are pretty populated cept for Jung Ma (which I have the misfortune of having my legacy on).

Ebon Hawke, Prophecy of the Five, etc, have TONS of people on all the time. hell, 50 people in noob areas, 130 on dromund kas, 210 on imperial fleet when I logged in earlier today, thats near launch numbers. Not dying, just consolidating. Most MMOs only run 6 or so servers, WoW is the exception to the rule, not the standard.

A more in depth answer would be appreciated :)

why? cant you make up your own mind?

fine Swtor is the second largest western MMO out there. It's not going to die any time soon. Yes it's going F2P but as we have seen with DCUO, LotrO, DDO and others F2P adds new life and new content. With out F2P LotrO wouldn't be on its 4th expansion and DDO wouldn't be on it's first.

F2P is the future of PC gaming. LoL, TF2, Dota2, and others are huge. Plus BLizz has been talking about making SC2 F2P and you can play the first act of Diablo3 F2P for the time being. GW2 has shown subscription models are going away as well.

So if you enjoy it then go play it.

A more in depth answer would be appreciated :)

Thats not really a question anyone else but you can answer, as its looking for a value judgement call. since no one else has your values, no one can answer the question to the depths that you may wish to have it answered.. Only you can decide if its worth it for you..

Of course it is! Especially as a new player you have lots of content infront of you. SWTOR isn't dying because many new players are starting with that game now - it is extremely cheap at the moment and people want to gain the extra points you get at the f2p launch. Hell, even my girlfriend and brother started playing it.

Also, after the merges, most of the servers are pretty alive - you can see many fellow campaigners fighting and dancing next to you!

What is important to you in the endgame? If you like raids, warzones and dungeons, then it should be fine for you.The only thing you could miss, if you are a good player, is the challenge. Even the latest hardmodes are relatively easy to finish then.

Edited by Arturioss

Wow that's incredible. I get around 90ms latency on US, but it may be worth it if the population is that high.

I'm just worried that i'll have nothing to do at level 50 due to a lack of people playing.

Don't worry to much about declining subs. The doomsayers are exaggerating a common problem facing all major MMOs and that is fluctuating player populations. There are transitional players that will come and go based on the latest new and shiny, but the core fans, people like you, will be around for a long time.

So... the story lines are great and there are plenty of them. Combat is great. It is varied and with a learning curve. End game is great plenty of it if you take your time to enjoy it. And the progression through it all a great deal of fun especially if you are doing it with friends and guildies.

So have fun and play until you just can't play anymore. After that, take a break... and then play some more. :)

Wow that's incredible. I get around 90ms latency on US, but it may be worth it if the population is that high.

I'm just worried that i'll have nothing to do at level 50 due to a lack of people playing.

We've already told you: servers are densely populated due to merges.

You yourself say you love the game, so then you have no reason to think about giving up already! I cant really speak about the Europe servers since I have no idea how they are, but even if the numbers are down (and I dont know that they are or not) all it really takes is just putting yourself out there. If you want to join a guild, go to the fleet and say 'hey, i wanna join a guild!' and you'll most likely get a few replies pretty quickly. Plus, with F2P around the corner, there will be an influx of returning and new/curious players so you wont have to worry about a lack of people. I know a few people who are just waiting for F2P and are excited about the idea of playing.

If you only read the forums you would think this game is just one step away from the cliff to oblivion, but the reality is that people who enjoy the game aren't as likely to come here and tell people about it as much as people who hate the game. If you love this game, like the majority of us here do, then play it! Dont listen to anyone dictate what you play just because they can't learn the game or get annoyed easily. This game is awesome, so enjoy it!

Edited by z-monty

Thats not really a question anyone else but you can answer, as its looking for a value judgement call. since no one else has your values, no one can answer the question to the depths that you may wish to have it answered.. Only you can decide if its worth it for you..

Yes that is true, but it'd be nice to see how everyone else feels about the game.

Do you enjoy it? Why are you still playing it?

this has to be a joke. Lack of people playing?

If you haven't got anything constructive to say, please don't reply. I'm only going off what I've heard on the forums. This is my first day playing SWTOR so I don't have much to go off, a part from whiny trolls on the forum.

You yourself say you love the game, so then you have no reason to think about giving up already! I cant really speak about the Europe servers since I have no idea how they are, but even if the numbers are down (and I dont know that they are or not) all it really takes is just putting yourself out there. If you want to join a guild, go to the fleet and say 'hey, i wanna join a guild!' and you'll most likely get a few replies pretty quickly. Plus, with F2P around the corner, there will be an influx of returning and new/curious players so you wont have to worry about a lack of people. I know a few people who are just waiting for F2P and are excited about the idea of playing.

If you only read the forums you would think this game is just one step away from the cliff to oblivion, but the reality is that people who enjoy the game aren't as likely to come here and tell people about it as much as people who hate the game. If you love this game, like the majority of us here do, then play it! Dont listen to anyone dictate what you play just because they can't learn the game or get annoyed easily. This game is awesome, so enjoy it!

Fantastic reply.

That is exactly how I feel. Which server are you on? I might come and join you guys! :)

Edited by Javed

Simple, if you are enjoying your time here stick around. I have been here since launch and took a short break, but I'm still having fun every day when I login.

Awesome. I've been following these forums since 2008, but never got around to playing the game.

It's fantastic to hear all these positive reviews about the game.

I'm used to reading posts about how SWTOR is about to drop to 300k subs, or how game is going to die within a year, most of the SWTOR team has been laid off, blah blah blah.

Edited by Javed

Well,those doomsayers made this result,new player thinks that the game is dying (thinking fleet has around 50 people for example).

This game is totally worth it if you've just played it, it only becomes bored for people that have been here since December.

There should be plenty of people to do 50 contents with you, the only things i would worry about is not having many people at planets where you're leveling. My server ,The Harbinger (the most populated one atm i think) has around 250+ people on fleet every night .

Edited by Alduinsm

However, my concern is that this game is dying.

Is it still worth playing swtor and progressing to end game? Or will the game have collapsed by then?

Don't bother with a sub. Wait for free 2 play and decide if you like it or not.

Certainly the game at this point isn't worth your money.

Lol, NEVER listen to the doom sayers stuff on the forums......its generally people saying they are rage quiting because they want chat bubbles, or same sex romances etc, so the game MUST be dying. :rolleyes: Crazy stuff blown totally out of proportion.

My guild is on doing end game stuff every night and has been for months.

The game is not dying, everyone I know playing is having a blast. :D Get into it! :rak_03:

Edited by Thornsbane

If you haven't got anything constructive to say, please don't reply. I'm only going off what I've heard on the forums. This is my first day playing SWTOR so I don't have much to go off, a part from whiny trolls on the forum.

why don't you level a char to level 10 go to the fleet and then you see for yourself how many people are online the red eclipse has a healthy population.

I am playing this game from beta. And i am stil loveing and enjoying it. The last patch made it a bit "unstable" but i am sure they will get it sorted out. For the rest i would advise u to just go ahead and play it.find a nice guild and enjoy youre time here. U will not regret it!

worth playing, if you're having fun, yes of course.

if you want to have busy endgame, with plenty of friend, you don't need 10 millions of players 90% that does not speak your language. The only thing you'd need is an active and well populated server, which, with recent server transfer, every server is.

Relax, enjoy the game, talk to people ingame, start flaspoint, warzone op operation and have fun. When you stop having fun, then do something else.