Introducing Parsec - a new raid aware real time combat log parser

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. If you hit someone on 31k/35k HP with an ability for 9k healing, your effective healing is only 4k. It will also result on parser in 44% effective healing. Numbers are taken from threat (I assume) as only effective healing generates threat and there is no other way in game log to calculate this

i think lad last two days there are issues with servers. We has some guys having problems logging in etc (they not using Parsec).

I like the app, but some users in my group stopped using it as it was impacting their computer performance. Sure one girl uses laptops with good spec but even on my PC which is I5 cpu with loads or ram etc, i noticed game lag while using Parsec. No issues using Torparser or MOX.

ANy idea why would that be ?

Yes. If you hit someone on 31k/35k HP with an ability for 9k healing, your effective healing is only 4k. It will also result on parser in 44% effective healing. Numbers are taken from threat (I assume) as only effective healing generates threat and there is no other way in game log to calculate this

if thats the case, any fight where healers can be given guard will hit up the ranks due to much better ratio of heals given to threat generated

Parsec has been fine. So I have nothing but good reviews thus far, but let me relate a funny experience that happened to us last night.

We were 20ish percent remaining on Styrak NiM (5ish percent before he revives the Kell Dragon)

Sooo, we're all clumped on the big ghost manifestations, walls closing in on us...gunslingers primed to utilize their Pulse Detonators to KB them back.

What happens? One of the Gunslingers misses, and the other one doesn't hit his BECAUSE Parsec opened some sort of message pop up. WIPE!

It was sad. 13 minutes into a 15 minute fight only to have Parsec open some popup window and mess up a key mechanic on an encounter.

It was lol.

i think lad last two days there are issues with servers. We has some guys having problems logging in etc (they not using Parsec).

I like the app, but some users in my group stopped using it as it was impacting their computer performance. Sure one girl uses laptops with good spec but even on my PC which is I5 cpu with loads or ram etc, i noticed game lag while using Parsec. No issues using Torparser or MOX.

ANy idea why would that be ?

From my experience parsec uses very little cpu (<2%) and a nominal amount of ram (<200 mb). Its network bandwidth usage is very small since it only does a server round trip every 3 seconds and its payload is tiny.

I have experienced increased lag lately when not using any parsers.

Parsec has been fine. So I have nothing but good reviews thus far, but let me relate a funny experience that happened to us last night.

We were 20ish percent remaining on Styrak NiM (5ish percent before he revives the Kell Dragon)

Sooo, we're all clumped on the big ghost manifestations, walls closing in on us...gunslingers primed to utilize their Pulse Detonators to KB them back.

What happens? One of the Gunslingers misses, and the other one doesn't hit his BECAUSE Parsec opened some sort of message pop up. WIPE!

It was sad. 13 minutes into a 15 minute fight only to have Parsec open some popup window and mess up a key mechanic on an encounter.

It was lol.

That sucks. Parsec was designed to not steal focus with its pop ups so if it was a parsec pop it was a bug and i would appreciateit if you have the slinger submit a bug report.

Does Parsec feature a shared combat log? What are the technical challenges in creating such a feature?

Purely the additional network traffic or would the amount of parsing on each individual system be problematic?

Parsec is currently architected as client-server software. A shared combat log system architected this way would use a tremendous amount of server bandwidth. This is something that is not feasible from a cost standpoint.

Switching to a peer to peer architecture would make the bandwidth issue go away but adds a layer of complexity to the software.

My plan for the future is to create a hybrid system that allows a user to view other members logs via a peer to peer connection, but still keep the client server architecture for raid data. However this will most likely initially be a simple viewer though it may grow more robust.

There are certainly more challenges that make this difficult such as the variance in system clocks and latencies or the differences in peer network security.

I figured as much. BW really should throw the other info into the log system given the client is already processing the info.

Great software man. While it might not have that many additional bells and whistles as a total package with its comparable system footprint (and less taxing UI), Parsec blows TorParse & MoX out of the water IMO.

At least for me "Combat Log" only works when I let the parser connect to the mentioned IP.

For me it looks like a mac skin and not so fond of it.

I researched this and you are right that it does hit that IP. Here are the details:

When viewing the "Combat Log" PARSEC uses a web browser component. This component loads a common (and awesome) JavaScript library called JQuery. It loads this via a CDN that lives (for the time being) at that IP address. You can find out more about JQuery here.

Hope that helps.

I researched this and you are right that it does hit that IP. Here are the details:

When viewing the "Combat Log" PARSEC uses a web browser component. This component loads a common (and awesome) JavaScript library called JQuery. It loads this via a CDN that lives (for the time being) at that IP address. You can find out more about JQuery here.

Still it should only get online either for an update of the program or when I sync to raid, rest is unacceptable.

Still it should only get online either for an update of the program or when I sync to raid, rest is unacceptable.

Unacceptable? Seriously? No one is forcing you to use Parsec.

You need to keep in mind that this is a free software, provided as-is. If you find something unacceptable don't use it or grab the source code and edit it as you please (under the terms of the GPLv2 license).

You are complaining about something pretty much every decent website in the world uses, including swtor.com.

I am so eager to please you...

Anyway, in the next release if the browser fails to load for any reason (like blocking it with a firewall) It will no longer crash the app. Instead the app will work but the Human Readable Combat Log portion will not be functional and it will display a static error page.

If I could make another (hopefully more feasible) suggestion:

TorParse is able to detect and maintain a fight parse after a combat res while MoX cannot; is this a functionality that can be added into Parsec?

Do you mean maintain the fight for the resurrectee or the resurector?

The current logic should maintain the fight for the resurector as long as they re-enter combat within the 15 second window after they stealth out.

As for the resurectee... well that is a different story. It is difficult to tell the difference between a

fight, death, rez, resume fight

and

fight, death, rez, new fight

I'm not saying it isn't possible because I know it is, however, it is not a straightforward piece of logic. Would you expect that the time you spent dead will count toward your statistics?

Keep up the good work man. I have tried MOX and TORparse, but PARSEC just blows them out of the water! I really like the minimalistic UI and the Damage Taken tab where everything is broken down to damage types. Our guild switches to PARSEC when it first came out, and we haven't looked back! :)

I spend a lot of time in this thread answering questions or concerns but I wanted to take a minute and thank everyone who has said nice things about PARSEC. Your posts may get the least feedback but they mean the most to me. You are the reason I spend free time on PARSEC. So thanks for the kind words!

The other parsers are great tools and I spent a lot of time using them. I obviously "borrowed" good features from all of them. However, I wrote and support PARSEC because I wanted a tool that is actively developed by someone who is enthusiastic about SWTOR.

PARSEC has hit a couple milestones recently. It now has around 600 active raid groups and it hit an all time high yesterday of 100 concurrent raid groups and 500 concurrent raiders. I am pretty sure that my hosting provider hates me for how much we are pushing the limits of their services :)

So anyway, thanks for the support and keep the ideas coming!

I had to reinstall my PC recently. I installed AdobeAIR and PArsec. but it does not open

It opens the first window, checking program parameters then closes without any msg or error

I think you have parsec and torparse confused. Parsec does not use adobe air and does not have a window that Checks parameters.

Parsec requires MS .net 4.0 runtime, and does a quick check for updates when it starts.

Edited by Docmal