Vader vs Anakin - Who is more powerful?

I was just reading a thread on Comic Vine a little while back where several folks argued that Anakin Skywalker was more powerful than Vader, needless to say I wasn't convinced, but at the same time it seems plausible...

So I thought I'd get some opinions, in terms of Force Ability did Anakin become more powerful as Vader, or weaker? And what about lightsaber ability, what are our opinions on who would win in a fight?

Edited by Beniboybling

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not like it really matters now, because new material could very well put Vader being better...but /shrug.

TK= Anakin, he has moved much larger things and the like than Vader. Vader's best TK feat is collapsing a cathderal, which is nice but not something that would be out of range for Anakin. Vader however is more controlled over his TK, while Anakin can have issues due to his emotions(Example: Duel with Obi-Wan)

Durability= Vader...duh.

Speed= Anakin.

Strength= They are comparable, Vader in theory should be stronger but I haven't seen any feats that makes it so.

Saber Skill= Hmm...actually not sure....though I think Anakin should be better, especially if he is in full control he should also be able to beat Vader too.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Lightsaber abilitiy - Anakin. Lucas commented on this in one of the behind the scenes that the OT characters were bad with a lightsaber. Obi-wan was old, Vader was a cripple and Luke was trained by an old man thus wasnt very good Edited by Girdeux

Anakin, Vader might mind "contrict him" but Anakin from the Clone Wars was able to subdue the Son without much effort, so yes Anakin does win.

Vader has durability, easily countered by tactics in lightsaber combat.

Vader realies on anger and passion, Anakin too but his young age is key advantage.

Vader is half machinery, Anakin destroys droids and assemble them could easily pick up a bad wire and blow him up.

Anakin has more raw power.... every one knows this.

Vader has more skill and control.

Strength I would give Vader (vader changed his style because he found he had more leverage on people and could put more power behind his blows thanks to the cybernetics making him taller and stronger)

Endurance Vader

Skill with a blade Vader, Anakin was pure Form V, Vader was a hybridized form drawing from all saber forms. A Form Luke would adopt.

Power in the Force Anakin, Skill with the Force Vader.

Mentality Vader.

All-in-all Vader.

Edited by tunewalker

Not like it really matters now, because new material could very well put Vader being better...but /shrug.

TK= Anakin, he has moved much larger things and the like than Vader. Vader's best TK feat is collapsing a cathderal, which is nice but not something that would be out of range for Anakin. Vader however is more controlled over his TK, while Anakin can have issues due to his emotions(Example: Duel with Obi-Wan)

Durability= Vader...duh.

Speed= Anakin.

Strength= They are comparable, Vader in theory should be stronger but I haven't seen any feats that makes it so.

Saber Skill= Hmm...actually not sure....though I think Anakin should be better, especially if he is in full control he should also be able to beat Vader too.

play TFU

But what has Anakin actually done that demonstrates his superiority to Vader?

Admittedly I've only seen him in TCW and the Movies, but his feats remain pretty basic...

And a superior lightsaber duelist? I'm not sure, Vader improved on his Djem So style considerably after Mustafar, and became proficient in all other forms of lightsaber combat as well, on top of the wealth of experience he possessed.

EDIT: The way I see it, though Anakin was stripped of his potential on Mustafar, by tapping into the dark side and through decades of refining his powers he was able to reach the near pinnacle of his post-Mustafar abilities which surpassed the power he achieved as a Jedi, who merely flirted with the dark side as opposed to embracing it fully.

And even when he did, he seemingly lacked the control necessary to channel his passions properly.

Edited by Beniboybling

Anakin besides common "misperception" was an accomplished Jedi.

Some feats:

"The boy has exceptional skills."

"But he still has much to learn, Master. His abilities have made him… well, arrogant."

―Mace Windu and Obi-Wan Kenobi

"You are strong and wise, Anakin, and I am very proud of you. I have trained you since you were a small boy. I have taught you everything I know, and you have become a far greater Jedi than I could ever hope to be."

―Obi-Wan Kenobi

Anakin Defeated Assaj Ventress on Yavin IV Temple ruins

"Soon I will have a new apprentice… one far younger and more powerful."

―Darth Sidious

Anakin also has other advantages like jumping higher, quicker relfexes and has taken down enemies that proven to be very durable.

Edited by ZahirS

...I wouldn't call those feats. Heck Vader could probably choke Ventress outright.

As Vader he can jump pretty damn high, he has excellent reflexes and has defeated superior opponents to before.

EDIT: Here is a good showing, moves in a blink of an eye. And he's said to have moved as fast as Yoda.

EDIT: And here is Vader jumping pretty damn high, at least as high as Anakin ever has.

Edited by Beniboybling

Vader lost a lot of midaclorianse when he lost his limes. Aniken had the potential to be the one. Vader was just a second rate sith lord.
Potential is just that, potential. Its more than possible that Vader could have achieved more power than he did as Anakin, but still never reached his full potential. Its even been questioned whether his loss of limbs hindered this.

Well if this is all folks have got to back up their claims...

I think its considering how much conversation about Vader is done, most of us arent wanting to dig up a bunch of information on this subject from other posts or the sources and such, its just a lot of stuff with this character.