When new games are released swtor populations drop

TrixxieTriss

I thought I be one that would have said I would never try another game, and I could have until recently. I tried wow and interesting enough I am enjoying it which I really didn't think I would since I am not really a pvp player not a raid player but I did notice that it doesn't matter when you are out killing things if someone else helps you because you all get credit for it. I thought that was different and makes you relax a bit.

I still play SWTOR but just not like I used to.

GW2 is a lot like that and even better with people helping you (everyone gets the same loot and you can all farm the same node without waiting for it to respawn. There is no ninjaering).

It’s so relaxed that it makes WoW look like a weekend job and swtor like a dead end job people cringe to go to.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Exclusivity in anything is basically a monopoly.

Monopolies rarely perfom well for the consumers or end users.

They are often sub par in quality or over priced for what you get because they can do what they want with no competition.

But they work INCREDIBLY WELL for the shareholders !

Remember that business decisions are always made to increase profits !

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

But they work INCREDIBLY WELL for the shareholders !

Remember that business decisions are always made to increase profits !

Makes sense for EA to operate that way.

Doesn't make sense for Disney. This was not their way to increase profits over the 10 year time frame. Instead, they got some nice payout in years where a new game drops and nothing meaningful in other years.

If they allowed open competition we'd probably have a substantial SW game in some genre or another at least annually. Then Disney would always be making royalty income.

Edited by annabethchase

New games won't really put much of a dent in this game at this point imo.

There will always be a Star Wars fanbase, and with the NA servers being condensed to one location I think they already prepped for when the game reaches skeleton crew-like dimensions. There's only one SW MMO, that's this. It's a niche that will exist as long as the game is online, so new games aint going to hurt it much by this point.

Anthem is going to flop. SWTOR will continue getting barely a drip of attention as it has for the last 3 years, the quality will continue down the path they have decided to travel with SWTOR until it ends. That's how this is going to go.

Now. Before the knights attack en masse, I am not saying SWTOR is dead, and will die in the next week. I am pretty sure EA will keep this sinking ship afloat for as long as it brings in a profit which only they know how long that will be.

I wouldn't be surprised if the game floats along for another 3-4 years, in whatever form it may be by then. It will continue to have a small and loyal fanbase, as well as a influx of new players periodically, I just don't know how much profit is made off this number of players.

Wouldn't it be interesting to see where SWTOR could be today had EA invested all those millions in cancelled Star Wars games into this game?! Even if this game had HALF that development money, where would SWTOR be today. Instead, we've just funded cancelled Star Wars games for 7 years now.

I know it sounds negative, but I think a larger budget early on would have lead to SWTOR getting the plug pulled. For as much as I love what this game started out as, I never saw it as Star WOWs. For me, it's always been more like an online Star Wars themed Dragon Age, which makes sense given BioWare's specializing in that type of game. The content is great, or was at least, but to me it's never been rooted in the idea of player retention (and don't get me started on Galactic Command. A pox on that abomination).

I think BioWare's big mistake, and many others have stated this as well, was that they vastly underestimated the rate at which MMO players devour content compared to the average RPG player. Basically, it's a great BioWare game, but a below average MMO.

GW2 is a lot like that and even better with people helping you (everyone gets the same loot and you can all farm the same node without waiting for it to respawn. There is no ninjaering).

It’s so relaxed that it makes WoW look like a weekend job and swtor like a dead end job people cringe to go to.

Not sure about the others, but I always seem to get loot when I help kill something, but not sure if it is the same. They do seem to have scaling on the quests and I am on a server that is for new players so I found a few nice people, though guilds seem to be cross-realm (something about certain servers are connected) but I am cautious on guilds after the one time on wow, not sure I want to join a guild right now but I am enjoying my night elf destruction warlock p.

Not sure about the others, but I always seem to get loot when I help kill something, but not sure if it is the same. They do seem to have scaling on the quests and I am on a server that is for new players so I found a few nice people, though guilds seem to be cross-realm (something about certain servers are connected) but I am cautious on guilds after the one time on wow, not sure I want to join a guild right now but I am enjoying my night elf destruction warlock p.

They may have changed the loot system since I was last there to something like Gw2 (I was there just before the last expansion). It didn’t use to be like that, it was exactly like swtors, that’s why we have it here because BioWare copied WoW.

With the servers, they are all cross server now per region and type (?). For instance, if you play on Oceanic servers they are all cross server and you can have everyone from all the servers in one place. When this happened there were lots of complaints because there was more mob and objective stealing. People who liked quieter servers went from a small crowd to peak hour on a train. (That may have also changed since the last xpac last year).

The last WoW guild I was in made me never want to be in a guild again (although I have been in swtor). But I will never use voice chat in a game again because of what happened.

The thing with WoW is the Blizzard “real” account identification. If you want to go hide from some jerks on another alt you can’t because they can track you. Even if you go to another Blizzard game they can follow you from WoW to Overwatch.

It’s a great idea in theory to stay in touch with friends, but it has a nasty dark side that goes with that convenience.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

They may have changed the loot system since I was last there to something like Gw2 (I was there just before the last expansion). It didn’t use to be like that, it was exactly like swtors, that’s why we have it here because BioWare copied WoW.

With the servers, they are all cross server now per region and type (?). For instance, if you play on Oceanic servers they are all cross server and you can have everyone from all the servers in one place. When this happened there were lots of complaints because there was more mob and objective stealing. People who liked quieter servers went from a small crowd to peak hour on a train. (That may have also changed since the last xpac last year).

The last WoW guild I was in made me never want to be in a guild again (although I have been in swtor). But I will never use voice chat in a game again because of what happened.

The thing with WoW is the Blizzard “real” account identification. If you want to go hide from some jerks on another alt you can’t because they can track you. Even if you go to another Blizzard game they can follow you from WoW to Overwatch.

It’s a great idea in theory to stay in touch with friends, but it has a nasty dark side that goes with that convenience.

Blizzard's battle.net system (social and chat system for all Blizzard games) does not require sharing real identity information, and establishing a 'friend' connection across games requires both parties to accept the connection.

If you establish a friend connection with another player (and using whatever alias you choose), you can see them and chat with them across all WoW servers and all Blizzard games, and in WoW, invite them to come play together on your server - both to group up for instanced content and out in the open world.

Also WoW has added shared tagging and shared resource nodes, so everything from completing quests to farming resources to getting a chance at loot on the weekly world boss is far less annoying than in SWTOR.

Blizzard's battle.net system (social and chat system for all Blizzard games) does not require sharing real identity information, and establishing a 'friend' connection across games requires both parties to accept the connection.

If you establish a friend connection with another player (and using whatever alias you choose), you can see them and chat with them across all WoW servers and all Blizzard games, and in WoW, invite them to come play together on your server - both to group up for instanced content and out in the open world.

Also WoW has added shared tagging and shared resource nodes, so everything from completing quests to farming resources to getting a chance at loot on the weekly world boss is far less annoying than in SWTOR.

I must have mis-remember how it works. It’s been awhile.