A PvP a Day...

DomiSotto

No worries about grouping. I already read that you were going to be busy with RL stuff. And even if not, still no worries if you just didn't feel like grouping. :D

But... but! I had an 800+K heal with my lvl 35 sage! Personal best by far. Was a NC. We took east, they took west, and we fought over mid for a couple minutes before anyone took it. They mostly left me alone, so I didn't have to try to kite much. I just threw out heals left, right and mid! My team didn't LoS me much so I was doing a pretty good job, I thought, of keeping everyone up.

Eventually, though, they decided to focus me a bit, and my heals dropped off, and they took mid (sure, I'll take the fall for that, why not). Then we managed to get west from them, which they came in force to take back, but that let us take mid. They made a valiant effort to take mid back, coming close to flipping it a couple times... but we managed to hold on. They made one attack at east towards the end, and our guard was paying attention and called out. I went to assist, and stumbled on a stealth that was also headed there, and soon we had 3 attacking east. But our team responded, and we kept it. End game, we win. :D

All in all, just a good game. We didn't crush them. We just won through adapting our tactics a bit, and then playing smart. I even had a tank throw a guard on me, peel a bit, and thank me for heals in chat! Er, speaking of which... how do you know who's guarding you? I know the little 'zap animation' travels back to them when I take damage. But I kept missing who that traveled to in the heat of the action. Is there a better way? Because I didn't actually know who my tank was until the score came up at the end, and only one guy had protection numbers (I MVP'd him :) ).

[Edit: And then I played a 2nd game, got an AHG, and accidentally friendly-pulled a sniper out of his rotation. :o I guess not quite ready for the big time yet. ]

Edited by Banderal

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I’ve observed comparing what I do to how much I get, what it takes to get there: 0 deaths; maximize AoE heals; stay with the main group only; minimize periods of kiting and healing self (I seem to do it far too much).
No, kiting while self-healing with Trance fits perfectly into the max HPS rotation - just drop the procced Salv super-fast after (double-tap on a nearby ally - or even yourself - if you're too busy to ground target). So does self-healing with Rejuvenate (sets up procs) and procced Mend if you're not really far from teammates (bounces to other people). The instant self-heal, adrenal, and medpac are off the GCD, so as long as you keybind properly they won't interrupt the flow.

It's basically a matter of keeping APM up, targeting quickly and using self-modifier to minimize target swaps, and using all/almost all of your procs.

Of course, the downside is that all the learning may go to waste if the 3.2.1 changes happen. :(

Sorry, folks, RL is still kindda sad with me and mine, and the game just doesn't distract me enough from it. Helpless is one of those things that I don't handle well.

Yes, I set all my AoE on double taps, when the puddle is instant or cast is reduced. But i need to position it better, for sure.

I finally managed that 2000 hps. By 0.83 points. With a super-good group that was facerolling. But I will take it :)

http://s1063.photobucket.com/user/Melirinda/media/SWTOR/Screenshot_2015-04-25_07_27_45_008770%202.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

The 3.2 changes are going to favor burst heals, traded for longer casts, or at least that's how it looked when I last checked and they switched from the NS =3 min CD. I think we'll still be Okay. But, yeah, after the changes stabilize, I plan to run a Scoundrel and an Operative, particularly if 12xXP is staying for a while, to try healing and DPS aspect of the class.

@Banderal: I am always up for grouping! I am trying to play my chars in somewhat logical fashion though so I at least know what I am doing on a char. Somewhat. heh. 800 thou heals when you are in your 30'ies is great!!! Yay, you!

I am still going be playing mostly on my Knight; I want him to get to L60 through zones, then I can do Rishi-Yavin-Ziost story-line on him in PvP gear, and hopefully have a good Exhumed with DR Left Side by the end of it. The keybind change helped a little, and I feel a bit easier moving and fighting on a melee. I am going to re-keybind the cc'break as well, so I can do it easier. I might end up with the Knight keybound in a completely different way than everyone else, because his priorities are different. But, yeah, hitting 1000 DPS will be a long struggle.

I *really* need to get used to Guardian Leaping instead of Leaping when my friendly target is in trouble. I am not a tank, so I will protect the target by the Guardian Leap more than by trying to taunt and kill his/her attacker.

Edited by DomiSotto

Awesome! I finally managed to get into the ranked! (Jumps up and down). Took some time, but we got the 10 zones done, 4 wins, 6 losses, so not as bad as I thought it would be. Even got a couple of arenas against Hottie the Scoundrel and Caesar the Gunslinger. So, I feel like I contributed to the Republic's higher win ratios. :) I really need to grow as healer, that's for sure. Oh, and nobody yelled. Good stuff.

I've been trying to level my healer still. Had a Huttball match that started just terrible, where they went up 4 to 0 very quickly. Then we started to turn it around. A jugg and I were one fire pit away from their goal. The jugg had just passed to me, but I was knocked off the catwalk. The jugg was still up there dueling one enemy, so I passed back to him and he scored! A little while later we made it 4 to 2. We were well on our way to 3 (jugg had the ball again with just the final ramp to walk/leap down), but time ran out. Still, a much better ending than I had expected.

I also back filled into another HB match where we continued to get clobbered all the way to the end. And where I was reminded of one of the most ironic chat messages people type. "Just let them win." Yeah, whenever I see that the phrase "let them" is way beyond applying anymore. :D

(Edit. Oh, and grats on the ranked!)

Edited by Banderal

... And I don't even havbe a mouse with more than 3 keys, lol ... ( And the mouse wheel, which is in fact the 3rd key, isn't even recognized by my consciousness as a 3rd key ... )

Now people are going to hate me because I'm playing with imperfect RL gear ... LOL :D

I don't recommend binding the mousewheel anyways, it's bad for your mousewheel. I bound Guard to my mousewheel in season 1 when I was my team's tank, but I had to change it before the season even ended because I killed the mousewheel from all the guard switches.

Oh, thank you for your advice.

My own character is now level 14 ... 2 or 3 levels entirely through PvP ... The very first 3 matches were so that we had a very strong Republic side with getting all 3 cannons in Alderaan, and being strong on Denova as well (2 or 3 cannons ? don't remember anymore).

I was taught a strange kind of lesson as I did an inc call on the Alderaan map : "West !" - And no-one responding. Someone even bickered around saying that there wasn't no inc call - to which I responded that I had indeed done it ...

The most strange point in this was that player suggesting / asking whether all players would carry a compass with them for being able to tell west from east on the map ... Seemingly he never knew that all maps in RL - and thus mostly in games as well - are presented to the players so that north = up, south = down. West & east are easily distinguished from that point on, and you really don't need any compass at all.

However, I soon became used to say "grass" & "snow", after throiugh thorough inspection I found out that one cannon lied in snow and another one had grass surrounding it - a riddle solved ! :D

On my home server, VC, everyone says east & west. It's common there.

Unfortunately there are a few poor sould which have seemingly never learned atz school what a compass is ... Experienced it omn the Fleet Station ...

Anyway, back to topic : My last PvP matches were very bad : The imperial side constantly winning with perfect pressurew compositions - in the lowest bracket !

Which makes me both angry and sad at the same time : FOTM compositions destroy even the lowest brackets ... Making lowest-level PvP = Ranked PvP in terms of compositions ... Cynically speaking, in the end, there is no difference in all brackets anymore - because then all brackets are cursed by the same FOTM pressure compositions ...

Uh. My series of being utterly defeated by Harbinger imperial side high pressure compositions goes on ... On level 14 ... And to think that this is why I started a new toon on Harbinger ...

This was the second fastest defeat I ever witnessed in Voidstar ... "Sad" is an understatement for that ...

Either all good imperial side players are there right now, or everyone is rolling imperial side there now, too ...

Anyway, I'm frustrated how much unfun level 14 PvP is now even there ...

Or maybe I just took a wrong daytime ...

I was taught a strange kind of lesson as I did an inc call on the Alderaan map : "West !" ...

Well, I've seen debates on these forums about the whole east/west, snow/grass, left/right (VS) thing. I think it's one of those evangelistic things that you will never get people to change. I usually use snow/grass in ACW, and east/west everywhere else (except the last room in VS, where I usually give up calling incs, because you can see the whole room at once, so at that point if the team is not paying attention, well then they are not paying attention). I've never had anyone that I can remember actually decry in a game that east/west was bad ("no compass" - lol), even in VS, where everyone else seems to like "left/right" (and MOST of those mean with respect to exiting the spawn, but not all :eek: ).

It makes me worry a bit about our education system that "kids" these days do not know the basics of how a map works... but I guess they have navigation systems now-a-days, so they don't have to. :D

Uh. My series of being utterly defeated by Harbinger imperial side high pressure compositions goes on ... On level 14 ... And to think that this is why I started a new toon on Harbinger ...

This was the second fastest defeat I ever witnessed in Voidstar ... "Sad" is an understatement for that ...

Either all good imperial side players are there right now, or everyone is rolling imperial side there now, too ...

Anyway, I'm frustrated how much unfun level 14 PvP is now even there ...

Or maybe I just took a wrong daytime ...

I think you just had some bad luck. In my experience, I get good and bad games on both sides, in the lowbies and midbies that I've been in the past few months. Maybe with the pub side being favored just a bit. Or maybe that's because I have more "friends" clocked in on the pub side, so I"m more likely to end up in a group with 2 or 3 decent players (and then me) - which stacks the odds. But I definitely get runs of good or bad games together.

I forget, do you just not play imp side? If so, then you are SOL. :D But if you have an imp side toon also, then try switching if you are getting steamrolled by imps.

Hi Alrick,

Grats on L14!!!

Yes, on the Harbinger, it’s Snow, Mid and Grass for Alderaan, Left and Right for Voidstar (facing as you’d jump out) and East, West and South (or Mid) for Novare. I had to Google Grass+Alderaan!

Premading happens on all levels, and on both sides, so you will run with and against the premades. On the Pub side, if you will likely see Shura, Hashtag Hax, Wrath of Xedrix and Ghost Infantry. On the Imperial side you will see Midian, Concept, Hashtag Hax, Ghost Infantry (spelled a bit different) and (luckily infrequently) the Lukewarm Tauntans. It ebbs and flows, so you will have wins/losses streaks.

Hi Alrick,

Grats on L14!!!

Yes, on the Harbinger, it’s Snow, Mid and Grass for Alderaan, Left and Right for Voidstar (facing as you’d jump out) and East, West and South (or Mid) for Novare. I had to Google Grass+Alderaan!

Premading happens on all levels, and on both sides, so you will run with and against the premades. On the Pub side, if you will likely see Shura, Hashtag Hax, Wrath of Xedrix and Ghost Infantry. On the Imperial side you will see Midian, Concept, Hashtag Hax, Ghost Infantry (spelled a bit different) and (luckily infrequently) the Lukewarm Tauntans. It ebbs and flows, so you will have wins/losses streaks.

Wrath of Xedrix appears to have changed its name to Esprit de Corps, or something like that, at least all its former members are now repping that guild.

I'm always happy when I see Dollhouse Assassins on my team. Or maybe I just like the name. :)

Anyway, had some fun WZs today with my imp healer. Lost most of them, but only really 1 steamroll I think. We did win a ACW that was because healers rule. We had one high level good healer, and a couple of us support. We hardly had any DPS to speak of, but while we were locked in a never-ending battle for mid, one (or two?) of our guys snuck over and took their off node from them. They spent the rest of the match trying to get it back, but just could not kill us off with the heals we had.

I got into one of those dreaded imp premades for a while... all two of us. :D We still mostly lost. Someone mentioned a 12x weekend for class stories coming up? I'm tired of my low-level healer that's just fodder for any DPS that looks her way. Or... well... maybe that's still my skill speaking? I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be that survivable at lvl 35 or not. One decent DPS (like a good jugg) and I have my hands full and usually go down. 2 and I die pretty fast. :(

12xXP starts tomorrow and goes till fall the best I can figure out. So, levelling galore! I think I am going to break my vow to never-ever play an IA again and level both a Scoundrel and an Operative to try DPS and heals while levelling. And I gotta try a Merc/Mando heals too. Well, eventually :) First I need to get the Knight to 60, and then bring PT to L52 and start really trying her out. I bet the PT's set will do just fine for a Merc until I get a healing set finished or I can get a partial set.

I was toying with an idea of moving Ruvvoy to the Bastion and levelling a support legacy for him there but decided against it. Harbinger FOREVAR!

I confess to going for a bike ride instead of playing tonight. It's goooregeous outside and the choke-cherries are blooming. (Hugs)

Oh, I did not know about the Wrath. I have been seeing the Esprit around though.

Edited by DomiSotto

I forget, do you just not play imp side? If so, then you are SOL. :D But if you have an imp side toon also, then try switching if you are getting steamrolled by imps.

I just don't plan to play im side for the near future. I just don't want to, or better : I can't. It has something to do with "role play" for me. SWTOR is still not an racing car game to me. :p

Another strange experience wa when we were being very much defeated on Alderaan ... I just couldn't take it anymore and wrote into the chat : "I'll act as bait to bind them and the rest goes to grass, please" or so I have it in my memory - and someone even wrote into the chat window : "Finally ! A plan !"

I was so flabbergasted.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

I don't think anyone of you got THAT achievement EVAR :

"Receive 100.000 damage in 1 Huttball match" ...

I know, because I have it now ...

On the other hand, I was quite productive with 10 times defeating others, and - my personal record - doing 5000 damage with 1 ability ... Another achievement ... With level 14, still ...

Still, I feel sooooo bad and like a lemming ... With that 100.000 damage I received ... Must've been fun for others, *sigh* ...

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

I don't think anyone of you got THAT achievement EVAR :

"Receive 100.000 damage in 1 Huttball match" ...

I know, because I have it now ...

On the other hand, I was quite productive with 10 times defeating others, and - my personal record - doing 5000 damage with 1 ability ... Another achievement ... With level 14, still ...

Still, I feel sooooo bad and like a lemming ... With that 100.000 damage I received ... Must've been fun for others, *sigh* ...

100,000 damage taken isn't that high even for t1 lowbies. In fact it's rather on the low side. I've taken 1.3 million damage in a match (granted at 60s) and there are others that have taken over 2 million. For t1 lowbies it's typically in the 200k range for a full match assuming the other team isn't all derping, more if you have a lot sorcs and snipers given how potent those classes are in the t1 bracket.

I am pretty sure we all have that achieve! Because you are starting your Legacy anew, and on low level toon you now noticing that stuff. I had the same when I started the DPS characters after playing heals and tanks. I suddenly started to get the achieves again as a DPS.

Just managed to sneak one match before the server shut down today with sensei and the sleepless all-stars cast. Oh, it was 6:0 win and ended 5 min before the server went! Did 2 matches on my Guardian before that and hit L59!!!

Finally, here is a funny one: I’ve explained ELO to my mom after prodly sending her the link to 'my' line, and received a following endorsement: But it is good to know that your daughter is so "young ". Really young! ... and "Berserk" !!! It's a compliment, yes?

Edited by DomiSotto

Hopefully you are seeing better matches today Alrik, because I'm seeing a lot of stompings on my imp side, lowbie operative. :D

I played pub side for a while with my shadow tank. Started off with an arena, of course, because that's first rule of "random" WZ... if you haven't played your toon in a while and you need to get used to the keybinds again, you will start with an arena. Still, didn't do too bad, and we won.

Then had a NC match, where I kept running from lost-node to lost-node, and helping to take it back, because the team couldn't seem to watch the node and keep them from recapping it. Or even worse, 2 of them kept leaving west completely empty as they chased an operative all over creation trying to catch him, as he trolled them with roll. So I would go guard west, only to watch mid fall. The last cap I did at mid by sneaking into to the bunker while the rest of the team was distracting them. I got about 3/4 of it before they noticed me, and then managed to finish it off with a bit of help while we continued to fight.

We finally ended up with the score about even, and us trying to take south with everyone except me, who was guarding west. At 8% to 8% we had 1/2 of south, but they had stopped us. I had the nerve to type into chat "try spam capping!", only to be quite confidently told that spam capping is a terrible strategy, and the only reason someone would try to cap like that was because they didn't know how to hit the other guy. And then the same guy bragging about his 2nd place DPS after we lost the match. Sigh.

Ended on an arena with a troller on our team. Went in naked and just danced. We actually won the second round against them! But that's because they focused on the troll fist, allowing us to kill one quick and get it down to 3v3. Then my fellow (but higher level) shadow managed to finish it off with a 1v1 win. But then the 3rd round our troll was a more active troll, and was telling them to hit us first, and where we were. Still, I don't think he got the affect he wanted when we were actually congratulating him on being a good troll, instead of getting mad. :D

Where do you see achievements? I couldn't find the screen. Maybe it's under your legacy? Because I haven't actually turned on my legacy on Harb. :o

Shoot. Then I'll have to come up with a legacy name. :(

I tried a ninja cap in an AHG, with bad results. We were way behind, so it didn't really matter much, but there was the sniper defending, right next to the node. I hit super-steatlh (don't know what it's called on op, on my shadow it's "black out") and went up and mezzed him. Then tried to unstealth and start the cap, but stupid global cooldown, or lag or something got me, because my guy didn't unstealth! Then in my panic I managed to hit a stupid attack key, and broke my own mezz! Erg! I couldn't even yell at anyone in chat for it! :o

Then I tried again at the end of the game. Would have worked that time. I stealth mezzed him, and started the cap successfully. Then he used his breaker to get out of the mezz, and I flashbanged. Started the cap again, and was less than .1 seconds away from finishing it (according to my progress bar) when one of his team mates got close enough to hit me and break it. Soooooooooo close. :)

It's kind of exciting though, to be so much on your own during a zone. Sorry, I chuckled about you breaking your own mezz! I am sure it comes with practice.

I facepalmed today trying to do a solo ranked zone. Sensei told me that they are very fast, but I did not realize just how much faster the damage is applied in a 3 DPS + healer set up. Basically, I could not even bubble in time - I was trying to LoS and watch the bars to see who is hurting, and I was dead. I will basically try maybe once a day or so, to keep from really impacting the folks negatively.

Funny thing is, I felt comfortable in the regs on my Sage. Oh, well. Couldn't get pops for the midbies. I guess everyone is busy with Ziost.

100,000 damage taken isn't that high even for t1 lowbies. In fact it's rather on the low side. I've taken 1.3 million damage in a match (granted at 60s) and there are others that have taken over 2 million. For t1 lowbies it's typically in the 200k range for a full match assuming the other team isn't all derping, more if you have a lot sorcs and snipers given how potent those classes are in the t1 bracket.

Ouch.