*SPOILER!!!* Sith Warrior Companion/Story: Choice made for you?! ***?!

Lith_Ragond

I also think it's stupid, my SW kills people because he thinks they were looking at him funny and someone betrays him and lives ? Nonsense, we should have the option to get a replacement companion via a questline or something or kill him and use the annoying robot instead but we should be able to kill him or dump him somewhere so i won't see him ever again. Even a lightside character would not keep this guy around, if someone in real life cheats on me or betrays me there is no way in hell that person is going to share my living space, who ever wrote that part needs a reality check.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Warrior was married to him. Was. I ended that relationship after force-choking him to near-death...which was a damned shame because you have no idea how badly I wanted (and still want) to kill him. I figured I may be down a healer, but I would still have the ship's droid. And I like the idea of being able to quest for a future companion/replacement. I hadn't been enjoying Malavai's presence for a while and his backstabbing, traitorous actions only cemented my dislike.

Seriously, he'd choose Darth Volus--I'm sorry, Darth Baras--over his own wife? Going so far as to study her style and behavior, long-term, then program droids with that data specifically to kill her? I mean, this is serious premeditated murder right here. Okay, he's dead...as soon as the game allows me.

Edited by VorpalCheese

Seriously, he'd choose Darth Volus--I'm sorry, Darth Baras--over his own wife? Going so far as to study her style and behavior, long-term, then program droids with that data specifically to kill her? I mean, this is serious premeditated murder right here. Okay, he's dead...as soon as the game allows me.

I couldn't help but notice how easy he and his droids were to defeat though, as if he was half assing it. Well, that's what I'm going to tell myself anyway since Quinn is one of the very few romance options in the game that don't repulse me.

Edited by grania

I couldn't help but notice how easy he and his droids were to defeat though, as if he was half assing it. Well, that's what I'm going to tell myself anyway since Quinn is one of the very few romance options in the game that don't repulse me.

I've been going with the same justification, and I think it makes it more interesting. I've noticed a disconnect between his personalities in places; he has moments of perfectly competent ******ery (intercepting the Jedi's transmissions on Balmorra; predicting the general running on Taris), and some viciousness (threatening that underling when you first meet him, killing Broysc). And then sometimes he's ineffectual, like when he totally fails at killing you. That doesn't jive. Now, combine that with how he flusters around a flirting female Warrior, can't stand Pierce, is an *** towards Vette, etc; he's not really well integrated with your crew, right? So you can see it being read in an opposite way; namely, that he's already been ordered by Baras to spy on you and prevent you from acting against him. And because he has those orders, he tries not to integrate himself with your crew, and even not with you, because emotional attachment will compromise his orders. (Obviously if you romance him as a female PC, this fails, and if you're friendly with him as a male PC it also fails.) So now he likes you anyway, but he's still duty-bound. The only solution? To do a half-assed job.

Now, if only we had a direct follow-up quest to this one where you can ask him about his motivations, he explains them to you, and you can have more decision points about what to do. Because right now, it ends, it basically doesn't come up again, and there's no feeling of closure to the event.

Only shows how damn inflexible the whole companion system really is.

Killing one of would be no big deal if we can modify our companions to suit our needs instead of getting forced to take and eat what crap we are given.

Based on the conversation I had with Quinn at the end of chapter one, I sensed this coming a bit before I got curious enough to read ahead. I rationalized it that one of his negative tags is betrayal. Just because he got on the ship doesn't mean he's instantly loyal overnight. He was Baras' man before and logically he would remain Baras' man out of not only a sense duty but gratitude for blah blah blah. You know the story.

He gives little warning signs here and there. His loyalty does enter into conflict because the affection is genuine. He likes all the gifts and his favorite is that giant Empire flag you gave him that he now has tacked on the wall over his bunk. Life has been extra good in your service.

So no, I don't consider him having his heart in the enterprise. Our tactical genius has no reason to lead us to an evil lair and monologue us like a Bond Villian. If he really wanted to succeed he would have never given any sign before slipping that Vibroknife in our back. Oops.

But we are Sith. Betrayal comes with the territory. At the very least, after we are done beating him, there should be a cut scene of his wall smashed broken body floating in the ship's med station aquarium. Once he's out he should have to grovel his way back to our favor. BW definitely dropped the ball on this one.

BTW. What good is a ship's med station if I can't put anyone in it?

Edited by Reil

Used to be able to kill your companions in beta but then some "testers" were too dumb to understand it was permanent and did it, despite the multiple warnings. They complained en mass, Bioware caved and that my friends is why you cannot kill Quinn (however it is spelt).

This is untrue. There's many players who won't mind being down a companion or two. You automatically assume the original poster would regret it. I find this assumption to be ridiculous considering he's replacing Quinn already due to not wanting him for his actions. Either way he's already without Quinn so what difference does it make if he's dead? He's also not asking for a way to kill off all his companions just the ones in which it makes sense for his character.

His character was stabbed in the back. He's 100% Dark Side. Why would he let him live? Note I'm a Light Sith and didn't want to kill him but I do see the original posters point. Not to mention some of us have come from hardcore games where you're punished harshly for mistakes and.. we loved said games. Just because some people need hand holding doesn't mean we all do.

it is true. If it was an option then people would pick it and I would guess most would complain how now they are gimped compared to others. If you don't believe that then you must have missed the last 6+ years where the majority of mmo players blamed developers for catering to raiders giving and they have no chance to compete....and that was for pixel items. A companion has story content, utiuty in solo or group content and tradeskills....so you can imagine the cries when that would have happened.

BW should have made an alternate companion available to fill the role of a possible rejection or death of a companion.

it is true. If it was an option then people would pick it and I would guess most would complain how now they are gimped compared to others. If you don't believe that then you must have missed the last 6+ years where the majority of mmo players blamed developers for catering to raiders giving and they have no chance to compete....and that was for pixel items. A companion has story content, utiuty in solo or group content and tradeskills....so you can imagine the cries when that would have happened.

BW should have made an alternate companion available to fill the role of a possible rejection or death of a companion.

This. At the least, there was still the ship's droid for a healer. :p But seriously. Quinn's life will be made into a living hell until such a time that I can kill him. I wish for the day...

He hee, I was amused by what happened to me also...The day after the love of my life tried to kill me, (and I forgave him...cause that mole is just too damn cute), he wrote me wanting me to have his babies. I love this game :D

Pity that after you marry, and after 50 there is nothing left to say. Too much like real life. :D

(Ps. I know he really didnt want to kill me, just using those sad little droids, I knew it was an excercise. TG, I have a sense of humour.) :p

Edited by Lunafox

the second i met quinn, before he was my companion, i wanted to kill him.

his ponce attitude on the ship and conversations made me never use him

time comes he betrays me, i'm thinking "Oh yeah ... i get to kill this ****!".

but no, my options are

1.) force choke, but let live

2.) be a push over

3.) be an even bigger push over.

the only satisfaction i got was throwing him into a blast door and force choking him to near pain.

it doesn't make sense that we don't get the option to kill someone who betrayed our character, considering the main portion of our story is to kill a betrayer!

and then when it comes to telling the crew it, i wont, i wont, and maybe later... ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...
He hee, I was amused by what happened to me also...The day after the love of my life tried to kill me, (and I forgave him...cause that mole is just too damn cute), he wrote me wanting me to have his babies. I love this game :D

In the end he's just a big softy. Really? Children? Stop rushing things Quinn.

So, in the Sith Warrior story, you get Malavai Quinn right? Well, low and behold, he BETRAYS you. And what does BioWare force you to do? FORGIVE HIM and let hims till tag along. I'm sorry, but this was the first time I felt the story crafted by BW really betrayed my character. He's 100% Darkside, true blood Sith. Never made a single light choice and hit Dark 5 before hitting level 40.

I understand Quinn is a companion, and kind of a major one at that, but I sure as hell wanted to kill him! I don't care I'd be down one companion, there's no freaking way my character would allow him to live! At least give us the choice (marked EXTREMELY clearly for those "special" players) to do what we want, until that point, BW had crafted a wonderful story with plenty of choices to craft your character. Now it just feels forced. The story, dialogue, and voice acting are what set this game apart, this just broke one of those stories!

So now, to play my character how I want him to be, I've got to see if upgrading my little droid can replace Quinn as my healer. Not cool BioWare, not cool.

After that happened and I couldn't kill Quiin I flat out went and geared up my droid and refused to use Quinn, The Driod is actually a more competent healer and doesn't get distracted dpsing. But yeah i totally agree we should have been able to kill him and have him replaced by someone else, perhaps that one guy from Hoth who is hiding from Baras because you forced him to betray him and help you, or another droid.

But yeah BW needs to let you kill Quinn after that.

After that happened and I couldn't kill Quiin I flat out went and geared up my droid and refused to use Quinn, The Driod is actually a more competent healer and doesn't get distracted dpsing. But yeah i totally agree we should have been able to kill him and have him replaced by someone else, perhaps that one guy from Hoth who is hiding from Baras because you forced him to betray him and help you, or another droid.

But yeah BW needs to let you kill Quinn after that.

Lemme find what I typed up in another thread... one sec...

*Facepalm... again*

Alright let's put it -this- way.

The Sith who kills every single person, even if they are valuable, for no reason... isn't going to be a popular Sith. Isn't going to be a Sith who lasts long.

An intelligent Sith builds up two types of power: individual power and group power.

Individual power is the obvious one; to be a Sith you need physical and mental strength to be a threat on a personal basis. You have to be able to think, to rationalize, strategize and to back up these with either strength of arm or strength of Force (being strong in both is optimal). If you cannot do these, or lack the ability to do so by allowing your emotions to get to you then you become weaker (Palpatine during his triumphant moment against Luke, blind to Vader's betrayal).

You -need- individual power to succeed at first and just pass the trials to become the Apprentice to a Sith Lord. You also need to further develop this power in all aspects to link directly to the second power.

Group power; it sounds cliche but nearly all powerful Sith have a power base that they build from. You'll have allies in the Imperial Military, in the Republic, etc. (Darth Baras is a fantastic example). A Sith should have this built up as a fall back, they need ways to outsmart their enemies, to basically have strategies that go out beyond just smashing your way through enemy forces. A Sith, once they have this power base built, should also know when to eliminate those in their power base as well.

For example in the SW storyline, Baras is forced to eliminate a chunk of his power base because of Jaesa's powers. His spies are now compromised and need to be removed. This is generally the ideal moment you eliminate those working beneath you, when they can no longer serve your purposes fully.

With Quinn, he still has purposes to serve. We can see through the quests with him featuring that he has skills that outdo Pierce, who is himself Black Ops, which means elite of the military.

Quinn is a(n): Excellent tactician, medic, pilot, and tech (programmer, designer, computers, what have you). He's basically a one-man military staff. It really makes him invaluable at this point to the Warrior who, even though he is the Emperor's Wrath, will undoubtedly face forces in the future that will require him to fallback on Quinn's expertise.

Now why did Quinn betray us? Baras called in the favor Quinn owed him. Through Baras' protection Quinn had remained on Balmorra and away from superiors who hated him. Baras wanted Quinn to take us out, and Quinn's loyalty ultimately brought about his betrayal.

Now, if anyone had read the codex entry on Quinn, they'd know that he is duty-bound and honorable. Darth Baras, as said earlier, was instrumental in Quinn's early successes. Our warrior would know how duty-bound and loyal Quinn was by just listening to the guy speak whenever they were in front of Baras.

So Bioware taking out the option to kill him is basically Bioware saying 'You're Sith is smarter than you'. It's not meant to be an insult, it's just a fact. Even if we ignored it for the most part, our character would know that Quinn was a creature of Baras due mostly to the fact Baras helped him so much.

Our character would also know that Quinn still has uses, uses which still make him irreplaceable at this point.

In closing, to give an example of this idea, I'll draw attention to Palpatine once more.

Palpatine saw uses for Dooku, up until the point he knew he had Anakin in his power which is when he had his Apprentice killed. With Anakin he kept him around as an Apprentice once more until the point he found Luke.

It isn't out of care or feeling that our characters keep Quinn around (unless ya married him I guess... or genuinely like the guy), but it's out of his usefulness. Once our characters get to the point where they: Find someone like Quinn, find someone better than Quinn or no longer need someone like Quinn, then story-wise, Quinn would be killed for his betrayal.

I'd let Pierce do it.

Last point, this is just to make it more simplified.

If you were in a war and had access to a mine filled with valuable resources, then one day found enemy miners inside taking the resources. Would you really blow up the mine, cutting off some nice minerals and etc. for you just to not allow your enemy to have it? Or would you watch the mine more closely to make sure your enemy doesn't get to it?

From an intelligent person's perspective, it makes sense to forgive him because the guy is actually useful.

From a psychopath's perspective, yes, it is completely justifiable to kill him.

Psychopaths don't live long in the Sith... or at least, don't ascend to positions of power that are stable :jawa_smile:

• 6 months later...
"Darth Baras would never forgive such a betrayal!" Only the morons that wrote this story line would forgive such a thing. This is crap on the Dragon Age 2/Mass Effect 3 level of crap. If you enjoyed this scene, you just like crap.

"Darth Baras would never forgive such a betrayal!" Only the morons that wrote this story line would forgive such a thing. This is crap on the Dragon Age 2/Mass Effect 3 level of crap. If you enjoyed this scene, you just like crap.

This is because WE players ****ed this one up. In the past you could kill him. But realizing that they just killed their healer and that this is permanent a lot of players complained about it and it was scrapped. Bad writing you say? ****** players is say.

because somebody like you or aka "THAT GUY" would go around killing off all their companions, the QQ to a game master about how you can't do nothing, soBW has to spoon feed and hold your hand, through out the game cause other people like you and "THAT GUY", killed off their companions, and purposely ruined an aspect of the game that was implement. If you wanted this option to stay you should have a talk with "THAT GUY" so stuff like this in the future won't happen. Thank you for playing.

Then instead of proper companions, players could've been allowed to hire mercs (with plenty of customisations). No dialogues, just lines upon clicking them up. Customise their looks with kits and use them the same way you'd use a proper companion. Want a companion back for lore? Replay story. Same stuff going on in single player rpgs. Look at the witcher, where the consequences of your choices are revealing good few hours after they were made.

Don't blame players who cried after lack of healing. They could've be given a choice of getting mercs (Guild Wars had mercs npcs for example).

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

The only bad thing about this scene is how pathetically easy it was to beat up those droids, Quinn is useful and that is a fact since he is your only proven healer, a smart warrior would keep him around even if only to kill him at a future date as punishment. Sure you could pick up some unproven healer imp from the street but Baras is in a position of power and probably able to block access to someone from Quinn's skill, and given you where just about to face baras there is little time for that to be a realistic notion.

The only thing that was removed by removing the option to kill him is the ability to play a derpy derp warrior (which is a valid form of playing and RPing of course) but I don't see it as a big deal myself.

Edited by Andronicos

• 4 weeks later...

Barely a betrayal. Hardly worth my time, certainly no more than the scene reflected.

If you're Sith and the issue of betrayal by anyone, at any time, is not on your mind then you are fooling yourself. Betrayal is part and parcel of the entire chain, almost an institutionalized piece of it.

All the clues are there. Without reading any spoilers by the time I'd had Quinn as a companion for a couple of levels I figured him for it. Why else would someone so useful, whose career had been rescued by Baras be handed over.

He made an effort to complete his obligation to Baras. I whooped him easily - in fact so easily that it seemed to me that it was a token betrayal only.

A BETRAYAL would have had him embarrass you publicly by defeating one of your purposes, then defect throughout all of chapter 3 so you don't have access to him for a long time of play. This was a namby-pamby betrayal. It wasn't a surprise, and I just used it to bind him more tightly to my dominion.

As it is, it was a private matter between us, and nothing more need be said. We finally had it out who was going to be boss, and that should be that.

And I'm not a goody-two-shoes either. I only took the collar ever off Vette long enough to laugh and put it back. I made dark V before I hit level 50 and never farmed BT either.

So frankly I don't understand the broo-ha-ha over it. You can't kill people on the street anywhere you go, or attack 99% of the local NPCs you interact with, which a true psycho kill everyone persona would want to be able to do anyway. If you want to play that way, you've already accomodated yourself to this and ignore it. Treat this the same way.

The one I want to get off my ship, forever and permanently, is Vette.

I kinda lost all will to play my Warrior after that point. Had to cover Quinn in various armor that hid his ugly traitor face and then roleplay he was someone else (until he spoke and I screamed at the monitor). The sad part is, you really need him as a healer in the upper levels.

The lack of consequence when it comes to companions was one of my biggest letdowns with this game. Everything else ranges from ok'ish to super great. I love the music, setting, mechanics, flashpoints and PvP. But why oh why cannt we do a little more impact on our own crew and story?

Barely a betrayal. Hardly worth my time, certainly no more than the scene reflected.

If you're Sith and the issue of betrayal by anyone, at any time, is not on your mind then you are fooling yourself. Betrayal is part and parcel of the entire chain, almost an institutionalized piece of it.

All the clues are there. Without reading any spoilers by the time I'd had Quinn as a companion for a couple of levels I figured him for it. Why else would someone so useful, whose career had been rescued by Baras be handed over.

He made an effort to complete his obligation to Baras. I whooped him easily - in fact so easily that it seemed to me that it was a token betrayal only.

A BETRAYAL would have had him embarrass you publicly by defeating one of your purposes, then defect throughout all of chapter 3 so you don't have access to him for a long time of play. This was a namby-pamby betrayal. It wasn't a surprise, and I just used it to bind him more tightly to my dominion.

As it is, it was a private matter between us, and nothing more need be said. We finally had it out who was going to be boss, and that should be that.

And I'm not a goody-two-shoes either. I only took the collar ever off Vette long enough to laugh and put it back. I made dark V before I hit level 50 and never farmed BT either.

So frankly I don't understand the broo-ha-ha over it. You can't kill people on the street anywhere you go, or attack 99% of the local NPCs you interact with, which a true psycho kill everyone persona would want to be able to do anyway. If you want to play that way, you've already accomodated yourself to this and ignore it. Treat this the same way.

The one I want to get off my ship, forever and permanently, is Vette.

Looking back, I can see what you mean. But I had no idea - didnt read any spoilers and just thought he was being a stiff *****. It felt like a cheap shot considering people reported from beta that you could kill your companion if they betrayed you.

I purpose that we be able to Carbonite freeze companions. that way they are a neat trophy for example skadge i loath him id so freeze him and show my friends HEY i froze scadge BWAHAHAHH then some day i might be like *damn i need him for crafting -thaw-. It would be easy to do id think just make a new interactive thinger on your ship that allows you to pick an NPC summon them, have you say 1-3 lines preceded by freezing, then for thawing have 1-3 lines to choose from were the npc reacts accordingly. This way people who hate their npcs could do something to remove their npcs but at the same time easily undo the change, and it would still fit into the game without breaking logic.

any one else think this would be a great idea?