Remake of the older (4-6) movies?

info_man

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

remake the prequels not the original.

1. the speical effects in Star Wars hold up. If you are really that conserned about them then just update the effects like they already did.

2. If your biggest concern is how the light saber fights look then you have a lot to learn and one day when you grow up will see the errors of your ways.

3. man you have a lot to learn about acting.

2. If your biggest concern is how the light saber fights look then you have a lot to learn and one day when you grow up will see the errors of your ways.

This is my favorite quote so far. I have alot to learn as a person and through my "growing up" (which was commented a few times...although I'd feel werid defending my old age on a video game forum) I can finally understand the ways of several made up stances to a made up weapon in a made up universe.

Anyways just to make one thing clear because it got brought up a few times, I never said Lucas should or shouldn't remake them. Personally I too would want someone else behind it, but I'll take what I can get. I'm aware they can always do worse...and in many cases with different remakes have done worse...however I always have the option of not watching it or liking it, I believe its still worth the "risk" for a chance to see an epic sw movie.

I have yet to see a good remake. I don't count Rob Zombie's Halloween, because that was more of a reboot.

Look at what Hollywood is about to ruin shortly. Red Dawn. It was a classic, but Hollywood is out to kill it.

Amityville Horror

The Fog

Arthur

The Blob

Clash of the Titans

The Karate Kid

Planet of the Apes

ETC ETC ETC

Bleh.

The only thing I would change is the last battle would have been WOOKIES and not ewoks...

But Wookies were all dead, but the few that escaped the genocide. Ewoks were crap I must admit, what sort of militray weapon is defeated by a lump of wood!

*shoots the OP in the face with a bazooka for blasphemy, then walks away, not bothering to dignify any arguements supporting a remake with any other response*

It's called a classic for a reason kids. Leave it the hell alone, and enjoy it for what it is. Or, if your imagination is so poor you need computers to make everything flashy and super neato wow for you, don't. Either way, do not @#$% with the holy trilogy. Period.

*shakes head*

Effin kids.

Edited by HumanPirhana

There is a reason the cage fighters concentrate on boxing and greko-roman wrestling. All the flipping around, twirling ninja stuff, and ultra-light swords will get you insta-dead when you meet a broadsword.

Actually their focus is as such because martial arts are, when used to their full...DEADLY. MMA is a knock out sport, not mortal combat.

Hollywood might do it one day because we all know how they think... this quote about sums up their mental process

"Hey, I calculated the odds this would succeed versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and... I went ahead anyway." -Crow MST3K

You do realize.. with the older movies.

Sabre combat was only that way in 4-6 because of the LIMITED TECH they had.. I.E every time they swung their broom sticks (seriously) at each other they snapped.

It wasn't until ROTJ they started using some type of metal rod.. that is why you see Luke go beserk.

They were limited by the tech of their day.. that is the ONLY reason why Sabre combat sucked (yes it did suck) in 4-6.. Watch behind the scene footage...

Also.. you guys need to watch the non special editions. and tell me to my face the "CGI" was good.. tell me to my face.

After watching the new star trek movie.. the effects in 4-6 does not even hold a candle to it.

You can plainly see ATAT's through the cockpit of the Snow Speeder...

You can tell they are stop motion..

The Rancor? The black outline? Really?

The copy and pasted effects of all the tie fighters (when the falcon gets attack after the escape of the death star)

The obvious fishing wire you can see in some of the scenes.

You people need to take off your nostalgia goggles...

Anyways..

A remake would be a bad idea.. Why? because of the response in this thread.. even if they made it line for line, scene for scene, with the actors mimicking the exact same thing as the originals, the only difference being sabre combat, and CGI.. people would hate it..

All I got to say is: Robert Downey JR as Han Solo.

Edited by Chuckskyline

I have yet to see a good remake. I don't count Rob Zombie's Halloween, because that was more of a reboot.

Look at what Hollywood is about to ruin shortly. Red Dawn. It was a classic, but Hollywood is out to kill it.

Amityville Horror

The Fog

Arthur

The Blob

Clash of the Titans

The Karate Kid

Planet of the Apes

ETC ETC ETC

Bleh.

*signals Time Out* Hold on partner. Overall I agree with you, almost all of this list is remake drek, but let's pull The Karate Kid out of that list. The new version is actually a pretty good film in it's own right, keeping the same basic feel and idea of the original, while adding it's own flavor and twists (american boy feeling out of place in China, very contemporary). I'd safely agree however that this might be the exception that proves the rule, nearly every remake of something that was good in the first place is pointless drek.

2. Kind of similar to two, the battles look horrible due to the technology in which its made. For example Luke and Vadar fight as one of the two most powerful force users there are...and they swing their swords around slow and sloppy. Yet while Vadar was a young padawan, he was jumping around like an insane maniac destroying everything in his path along with every other jedi. Granted he has some robotic limbs now, that doesnt excuse all of it.

The reason the prequel fights are more "cinematic" is because they can be, not because they should be. Sometime after RotJ, the Force got an overhaul. Originally it was meant to be mysterious and subtle. Witness the lack of respect Vader gets from the Imperials. These are people who view the force the same way most people view voodoo. They aren't afraid he'll blow up a planet or crash their ship into a star or any other ridiculous thing force users do now. He's a witch doctor with his voodoo dolls and hexes. The emperor's force lightning is a demonstrable effect, the equivalent of raising a zombie. It's meant to be the be all and end all of force powers: the one undeniable manifestation of the force's existance.

The prequels and books and video games are all corruptions of the original message of the force: Faith is power. There's no need for faith when every idiot in the universe is tossing star destroyers around like pillows or force leaping skyscrapers or frying legions of droids with force lightning.

So . . . someone not named Lucas should remake the prequels to be in line with the originals, not the other way around.

or the Force being medichlorians, if the force are just some bacterias in your blood then Yodas speech in part two makes no sense and how do they become ghosts, when they died their bacterias died with them.

Gotta pick you up on this one. Midichlorians are not the Force.

The amount of them per cell of an individual's body, determines whether or not someone is Force Sensitive, and an indicator of the potential of those who are.

They basically boil down to a plot device (practically a Deus Ex Machina) by which Anakin Skywalker can be exceptionally special and be The Chosen One, who will bring Balance to The Force itself. Not balance of numbers of Jedi and Sith, only to the Force.

Unfortunately, goind by Qui-Gon's words alone, the midichlorians are responsible for the Force.

The Force is created by life "an energy field created by all living things", but we're told via Qui-Gon to little Anakin that "without the midichlorians, life could not exist".

So no midichlorians means no life, and no life means no Force.

I defy anyone to defend the idea that Lucas had a single coherent story in mind when it comes to the Star Wars saga.

The reason the prequel fights are more "cinematic" is because they can be, not because they should be. Sometime after RotJ, the Force got an overhaul. Originally it was meant to be mysterious and subtle. Witness the lack of respect Vader gets from the Imperials. These are people who view the force the same way most people view voodoo. They aren't afraid he'll blow up a planet or crash their ship into a star or any other ridiculous thing force users do now. He's a witch doctor with his voodoo dolls and hexes. The emperor's force lightning is a demonstrable effect, the equivalent of raising a zombie. It's meant to be the be all and end all of force powers: the one undeniable manifestation of the force's existance.

The prequels and books and video games are all corruptions of the original message of the force: Faith is power. There's no need for faith when every idiot in the universe is tossing star destroyers around like pillows or force leaping skyscrapers or frying legions of droids with force lightning.

So . . . someone not named Lucas should remake the prequels to be in line with the originals, not the other way around.

You do realize, uh.. that Vader destroyed all of the Jedi..

the only two left were Vader and The Emperor.. for 20 years.

People would think "their religion in dead" after 20 years of no one having the same power as them.

So uh. with the old republic.. those "powers" seemed like less powers, because there was more of them able to use the force.

the faith is power still applies... you just have a lot more people with faith.

*signals Time Out* Hold on partner. Overall I agree with you, almost all of this list is remake drek, but let's pull The Karate Kid out of that list. The new version is actually a pretty good film in it's own right, keeping the same basic feel and idea of the original, while adding it's own flavor and twists (american boy feeling out of place in China, very contemporary). I'd safely agree however that this might be the exception that proves the rule, nearly every remake of something that was good in the first place is pointless drek.

Except the new Karate Kid uses Kung Fu......

So it's not the Karate Kid at all.....

It's the Kung Fu Kid....

And he's a god awful actor. Reminds me of the old Thunderbirds series, they were a bit wooden as well (budum tish).

Agree. The Star Wars SAGA is a mess. Not just the prequels.

1-6..

true.. have you ever read any of the rough drafts or early versions? some are rather amusing

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Star_Wars:_Rough_Draft

Han Solo was a Ureallian... "a race of large, slime-covered and deformed aliens, with green skin and gills, hunted and trapped Wookiees on Yavin. They spoke the Wookiee language Shyriiwook."

lmao

Edited by Liquidacid

You know, I really like the prequel trilogy

Once I though about a remake of the old movies,

The aliens on the cantina and Jabba's place are awful,

Ewoks makes me never want to watch episode 6 again,

Why are the stormtroopers so *********** dumb???

but then it felt wrong, it would be a disrespect with every person that acted on the original movies

It's funny how many people blame Lucas, but his vision of "the star wars" is just different than what most people see, the original trilogy was he could do with the technology at that time, if he had access to a more advanced technology, the movies would look extremely different

I blame Lucas for only one thing, replacing Sebastian Shaw's Force Ghost with Hayden's

if you want a remake, remake all the 6 movies into a decent sequence

You do realize, uh.. that Vader destroyed all of the Jedi..

the only two left were Vader and The Emperor.. for 20 years.

People would think "their religion in dead" after 20 years of no one having the same power as them.

So uh. with the old republic.. those "powers" seemed like less powers, because there was more of them able to use the force.

the faith is power still applies... you just have a lot more people with faith.

You do realize, uh.. that destroying all the, uh.. Jedi, uh.. isn't, uh.. all that impressive, uh.. given, uh.. how weak the force, uh.. is.. Maybe Vader, uh.. hired a bunch of, uh.. professional wrestlers, uh.. to toss all the Jedi, uh.. into reactor, uh.. cores..

Why, uh.. do we need, uh.. a Death Star, uh.. if the Emperor can, uh.. destroy, uh.. planets all by himself, uh..

Face it, uh.. little to nothing about the force in the Star Wars universe is consistent with the original series. The original series set "the rules" for the force which everyone since then decided to break because the force wasn't "cool" enough--gotta appeal to the hip kiddies, yo!

PS- Faith is believing in something you can't prove.

I hope they ll make a remake of 4,5,6...

Not much lighsaber combat in them, and the one it had, sucked...

They didnt show enough force powers in them...just some telekinesis.

If i havent played star wars games and seen the prequels...episodes 4,5,6 would seem to me like 1 of these many crap space sci-fi movies....a pretty bad too

And saying its old movie doesnt excuse it....

Highlander had so many cool finishers in sword duels (compared to vader vs obi-wan duel ROFL, he just vanished in a "cut-scene"

or pick the most powerfull being of the galaxy up in his hands and throw him into a generator core....

You do realize, uh.. that destroying all the, uh.. Jedi, uh.. isn't, uh.. all that impressive, uh.. given, uh.. how weak the force, uh.. is.. Maybe Vader, uh.. hired a bunch of, uh.. professional wrestlers, uh.. to toss all the Jedi, uh.. into reactor, uh.. cores..

Why, uh.. do we need, uh.. a Death Star, uh.. if the Emperor can, uh.. destroy, uh.. planets all by himself, uh..

Face it, uh.. little to nothing about the force in the Star Wars universe is consistent with the original series. The original series set "the rules" for the force which everyone since then decided to break because the force wasn't "cool" enough--gotta appeal to the hip kiddies, yo!

PS- Faith is believing in something you can't prove.

Do not feed the troll.

You have no idea what you are talking about..

Perhaps you need to go into a retirement home, since you can not think straight at all.

What point are you trying to make here?

I am a fan of the old trilogy myself, but they do lack some pretty decent duels. Vader & Luke in ESB mainly was not as great as it could of been TBH, I was a student of Martial Arts myself for some years, and I do know some pretty cool finishing moves and kata's from it, What they shown in this movie, was a basic lack of understanding of Sword combat. Its not about you hit my sword, and I hit yours. Its the fastest cut wins scenario. ROTJ Luke and Vader fight was better, IMO.

The visual effects on all these films were ground breaking in there day too, and of course look dated to today's standards. For the case of originality, and for the effort and work that was put into those films, I must say I wouldn't want to see re makes of them. Plus I mean who would direct them anyway ? who would you get to play the roles ? if this is just about looking at a CGI fest, then please don't re make them, appreciate the original movies.