August Livestream Wrap-up

EricMusco

For the newly revamped datacrons, can we please get them so that they count across your legacy? Having to re-tread all the datacron paths just to optimize your toons makes for a horribly boring experience for us PVE raiders with numerous HM-capable toons.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you can likely recruit a companion "pet" as I said above. Given that all classes are now wrapped up into this zoolander, that's a no brainer. The problem is, you can't recruit them. According to the devs they aren't part of the story, just there so people won't "lose" them. They exist solely outside of KoTFE, reread what they said.

It wasn't a stupid question, we had a crew we invested time, and money for gifts in order to progress their individual stories. Many of us would like to know if that was all a waste, because it seems they are being given the ME2 treatment as far as abandoning your old team goes. But I'm sure they'll come up with some convincing reasons why companion x can't join you. These random npcs at <insert location name here> can't survive without the help of companion x, and therefore they can't join you. Typical Bioware lazy writing. :rolleyes:

You seem to think how I originally did, for economic reasons I figured they would ditch the old and concentrate on the new. However, from the statements, answers and demos I think that you are right, but ignoring your own analogy. Garrus and Tali did rejoin the crew, while Wrex became a quest giver, Ash/Kaiden left curtly and Liara became a temp teammate. This honestly now reminds me the most of Liara and Lair of the Shadow Broker. Each month we will get a $15 dollar dlc set that focuses on a collection of old and new companions who serve as quest/background info givers and companions. The other old and new companions not selected will go mute for the month.

Edited by andhros

Will characters who get companions originally from the opposite faction have access to their original companion customization appearances?

For example, let's say my Warrior gets T7. Will there be a place I can go to access all T7 customizations since the regular place I could get them are off limits to an imperial character?

(Sorry if this has been asked already!)

This is actually a good point. Treek will no longer be DPS go to companion as the companions become roll specific, which in my book is a very good thing as the player gets to level with the companion they want.

The problem is people might have bought her for this very reason. This could be a major Treek nerf.

The problem is people might have bought her for this very reason. This could be a major Treek nerf.

They haven't said their nullifying Treek's abilities, just that thy're making sure she and all other companions are able to fill all roles. Besides, I bought treek because all I just wanted a ****** Ewok on the Empire's Wrath's crew!

They haven't said their nullifying Treek's abilities, just that thy're making sure she and all other companions are able to fill all roles. Besides, I bought treek because all I just wanted a ****** Ewok on the Empire's Wrath's crew!

Yup. I agree. Plus, I've had a great time using Treek since she was available. She was the most useful of companions. But if other companions will now be as effective, I have no problem at all with that. Sadly, Treek will be put on the shelf if other companions with personality, story, and cutscenes are just as useful. And yet, I don't regret one credit I spent on Treek. She has worked out wonderfully.

I think they make companions equal powerful. Sounds good to me, I can not stand her chatter :tran_wink:

Edited by Icestar

Yup. I agree. Plus, I've had a great time using Treek since she was available. She was the most useful of companions. But if other companions will now be as effective, I have no problem at all with that. Sadly, Treek will be put on the shelf if other companions with personality, story, and cutscenes are just as useful. And yet, I don't regret one credit I spent on Treek. She has worked out wonderfully.

I'll probably still use Treek. If for no other reason.. then to see her hang-glide as she charges the target. :D

I really enjoy her tossing watermelons too. :p

How does gear come into play here?

Starting in KotFE your Companion's power and stats scale with your level, regardless of the gear they are wearing. However, you can still use gear to determine exactly how your Companions will look. (note: this is not a part of Appearance Designer)

First off, let me say I love this improvement to QoL and I very much look forward to its implementation. That said, I have concerns with the statement "Companion's power and stats scale with your level" as it seems that there will be a slight impact when dealing with both planet based leveling in a small part and endgame progression in a large part, if the companion's power is simply tied to the level of the toon. It seems to me that you may wish, and may have already, to include a calculation for the Item level of the main toon. In other words in the past we could increase our companions power with increasingly more powerful gear, but if the new calculation is simply Companion Power = Level*X the companion will start to lag behind the main toon at any plateau in game play as we acquire more powerful level X gear.

Just a quick note, keep up the great work!! Very Excited for Knights of the Fallen Empire..

As a side note, the change to companion spec is something I have been hoping for since day one.. awesome change.. Thank You!!!

Edited by dogbone

I'll probably still use Treek. If for no other reason.. then to see her hang-glide as she charges the target. :D

I really enjoy her tossing watermelons too. :p

Lol. Oh yes. The hang glider closer and the simultaneous little yell bring a smile to my face every time she does it.

• Dev Post
  1. Yes.
  2. Level and Presence. What Presence does is increase damage, healing output, and total health of your Companions.
  3. Yup!
  4. Yup again.
  5. The plan right now is they will be mailed to you when they come off your Companion in 4.0.

One added note for the second bullet (I have seen this asked as well) Influence will also add to a Companions combat effectiveness.

No they will not. Now all Companions will simply just be better at Crew Skills the higher their Influence is.

good. Allowing companion bonuses to remain would almost require us to pick either specific crew skills, or more likely pick specific crew based on their bonus to crafting and not which we prefer to run with.

Thanks for the update, seemed obvious but glad you clarified it.

Eric: Will you guys consider adding Presence stat to gear? In addition to main stat and endurance I mean, not replacing main stat like some existing augments do. The problem is we're typically stuck at max level for a long time, and our companions will now stagnate because you've removed being able to upgrade our companion's gear.

Right now, without levelling, the only way to increase Presence is through the Legacy system and datacrons. These are fixed amounts, once you've got them, that's all there is. If Presence is added to gear, then we can improve it in small amounts like any other stat as we go. That way, our companions can improve at least somewhat with us.

Edited by RAVM

What is the difference between affection and influence?

We are familiar with affection here in SWTOR but how do we gain influence? Quests, companion gifts, hugging?

If the influence transfers over to the new expansion is not that a easy way to pick the old team again and begin with full power?

Edited by Icestar

What is the difference between affection and influence?

We are familiar with affection here in SWTOR but how do we gain influence? Quests, companion gifts, hugging?

If the influence transfers over to the new expansion is not that a easy way to pick the old team again and begin with full power?

It sounds to me like "influence" is the new term for affection.

Then why change the word if it is the same?

There must be more to it :tran_cool:

It seems like it's doing more than it used to. It will now affect their combat effectiveness and crafting as well. Possibly some other stuff. Maybe they'll even add new ways to increase it since it's worth more now.

No they will not. Now all Companions will simply just be better at Crew Skills the higher their Influence is.

I like this. Having to match class to crafting profession to get the most out of it was an unnecessary complication. It penalized players who picked and invested into a profession before researching which companions gave the best bonuses.

Edited by MillionsKNives

"Must" is too strong of a word. It may simply be an alternate term for the same game mechanic. That's where I would put my bet.

I agree that "must" is a strong word, perhaps we get some kind of explanation later on. I know what influence does since it boosts the companions by an number of things, I am wondering if affection simply changes into influence and vanishes. I have maxed out a lot of companions, can I simply choose them again and not have to grind up their influence?

Eric: Will you guys consider adding Presence stat to gear? In addition to main stat and endurance I mean, not replacing main stat like some existing augments do. The problem is we're typically stuck at max level for a long time, and our companions will now stagnate because you've removed being able to upgrade our companion's gear.

Right now, without levelling, the only way to increase Presence is through the Legacy system and datacrons. These are fixed amounts, once you've got them, that's all there is. If Presence is added to gear, then we can improve it in small amounts like any other stat as we go. That way, our companions can improve at least somewhat with us.

presence is a worthless stat and hate when it costs me stats from other gear, especially when RE and created item and it pops with presence instead of adding to an actual useful stat that people will actually use.

doing anything other than HM flashpoints solo, its pretty much send in companion and sit back and watch.

One added note for the second bullet (I have seen this asked as well) Influence will also add to a Companions combat effectiveness.

Eric, players should not know anything about this new stat "Influence" for which you speak...unless they were doing some data mining. Can you please elaborate? What is it? How do you raise it?