Revan's fate after the Foundry encounter

Deviss

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I don't get is why everyone's talking about his death as though it's a fact, especially when Deviss just posted an email from one of the game developers stating that Revan's fate is intentionally uncertain. Maybe this is the end for him, maybe not. If anything, given that Revan has always been a man of ambiguity, this is a fitting plot twist - or plot end, whichever.

I would point out though that there are some flaws in the assumption that he's dead - most of the people arguing for his death seem to be assuming that his disappearing trick was like the deaths of Obi-Wan and Yoda. If it is, though, he's doing it wrong - the bodies of Jedi disappear without any burst of light and leave their clothes behind. Neither was the case with Revan, who disappears in a blaze of blinding white light, clothes and all. How can objects like lightsabers, robes and a mask, which have no presence in the living force, become one with it? He might as well have taken a bag of cheetos with him while he was at it.

Also, there's the little fact that, iirc, the novelization of Revenge of the Sith states that this ability was discovered posthumously by Qui-Gon Jinn, more than 3500 years after this story takes place. The Obi-Wan/Yoda style death doesn't really work.

Even the final quotation of Malak can easily be explained away as Revan throwing in a quote that suggests death in order to throw his pursuers off his trail, although Occham's Razor makes this idea seem dubious at best. It similarly seems unlikely in his weakened state that Revan would be able to summon the energy to teleport.

Neither the "Revan escaped" explanation nor the "Revan's dead" explanation make a whole lot of sense. One of them obviously has to be correct, but the evidence is ambiguous enough that we probably shouldn't make any assumptions.

Think of it as "Schrödinger's Sith Lord" :D

Edited by Hraken

Finished. I am adding last chapter here (one post can only have up to 50,000 characters :<).

CHAPTER 7

They sealed the doors behind them. Hope awakened in Revan’s and others hearts. Their chances of defeating the Emperor were now even higher as the empire’s finest joined them. Meetra was right.

Emperor was about to face over dozen of galaxy’s greatest heroes. Amongst those heroes were now his most trusted servants that turned their back on him. They also realized that the Emperor was danger to everything that ever existed. He needed to be defeated.

The chamber was extremely long. Deep within it’s very end there was a throne turned the other way around. There were strange vessels placed around it that formed a circle. Lifeless bodies were floating inside them – each was connected to the throne itself.

When Scourge was serving as the Emperor’s Wrath for three centuries, he learned a lot about his master. Even more than Revan during his stasis. From certain holocron that seemed to belong to one of the Emperor’s apprentices, he found out about the existence of ancient sith entity made of nothing but pure dark side energy. She was supposedly a love of the Emperor… and his only weakness. She was also the same entity that was imprisoned and used by Darth Baras. Once, long time ago she almost annihilated the jedi order and held galaxy by its throat. Together with the Emperor, she wanted to exterminate all life in the galaxy and eradicate the very force from existence.

Emperor did not like to expose his weaknesses thus access to the sith entity was nearly impossible without necessary skill and knowledge. Fortunately, they knew the ritual and it's summoning process.

Scourge along with the other Sith focused and started to perform the ritual. Suddenly, everyone could feel the unimaginable dark side energy forming inside the chamber. It was unbearable.

They came. They want to kill you. Eradicate them. Kill them all. Ravage their minds. Drain the very essence out of them.

Whispers haunted everybody’s heads. The throne turned itself the other way and pedestal had spun around to face them. Figure in dark robes arose. It was an old man with heavy markings of corruption that suggested strong dark side influence. There was something terrifying about his eyes, they were completely… empty… black. He started to approach the invaders and spoke:

- The circle closes. The end begins. You have wasted your energy killing the weak, my pawns sent to weaken you. There are consequences. You are all a blind insects, contemplating the voice of space. Your striving and effort is insignificant… let your death be the same.

All the vessels exploded and bodies that were contained in them fallen lifelessly onto the floor. Revan could feel the screams of hundreds or even thousands, all force users in the room felt their endless suffering. From nowhere, countless figures of the same hooded man that they recently faced, materialized in front of them and attacked them.

Revan was first to struck one of the Emperor’s clones, but to his surprise, lightsaber did not even damage it.

The entity laughed, along with the Emperor.

Clones constantly appeared from emptiness, overwhelming them. Each time they received a blow that would be lethal to any mortal being, they vanished only to reappear again.

Darth Nox along with the Consular were using force abilities to shield their allies from deadly attacks. The Emperor’s Wrath and the Jedi Knight leaped onto the swarm of clones and began to cut through them like a blade through air.

They were progressing towards the Emperor. He was holding his hands with faint figure - the dark side entity, completely ignoring the ongoing battle. She had blank eyes, as empty as the Emperor himself and long, crystal hair.

Soon my love. Soon there will be nothing left in this galaxy, only us.

- It started! He is performing the ritual that will consume all life in the galaxy! We have to stop him! – Scourge shouted, realizing what was going on.

And then, the force screamed. It was dying, life was slowly sipping away from the galaxy.

Out of nowhere, another entity appeared. Only there was something different about it. Revan immediately felt it’s presence and knew who she was.

Light illuminated from her and she started to channel the light side of the force against the dark side entity.

It’s over. You must be stopped!’ – Jedi entity shouted.

Your spirit, as diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face exile. What is it you think you have accomplished? If you seek to aid everyone that suffers in the galaxy, you will only weaken yourself … and weaken them. – Voice of dark entity echoed through the chamber.

There is more death in this galaxy then you can imagine, we must strip all life away from it. – Dark side entity continued. Can't you see, galaxy slowly devours everything around it by its endless, unavoidable conflict. It is already dead, the question is how many it will kill before it falls.

Revan ignored all clones around him and ran in the Emperor’s direction, charging directly at him. His lightsaber met its target, going straight trough the Emperor’s body.

His wound healed in seconds and was replaced by dark matter. He turned around and faced Revan, moving his hands towards him.

Revan instantly attempted to shield his mind and subconscious against the Emperor’s influence – he had few tricks up his sleeve after their last two confrontations. Lord Vitiate’s eyes filled with a swirling red mist. The Emperor gave glimpse of his true self to everyone present in the chamber. They saw visions of endless hunger and unspeakable horror of billions being eaten up alive. Dark side conjuring terrors they did not even think of in their worst nightmares. There was nothing, only the total annihilation, the unbearable void. All races extinct in matters of seconds. Heroes collapsed, shaking like children. They cried out loud in anguish as the Emperor’s mind brushed against theirs, attempting to control them and devour their very essence.

Lightning storm consumed the entire chamber, burning everyone inside it. They fell on the ground, struck by the Emperor’s unimaginable power. In moments, everyone would be dead.

They were vanquished.

And at this moment, the dark side entity looked at dying Revan. She saw a boy that she once trained and treated him as her own son. She reminded herself of the moment when she found him in the outer rim. Master Arren! – she heared young Revan’s voice inside her head. Arren Kae, she had long forgotten this name. She was a historian once, gathering the relics of the Jedi, learning the ancient mysteries. Always, there were more questions.

- Is that really what you want Kreia?! He will kill him! – Jedi exile’s force ghost asked desperately.

She looked at the exile - Meetra was devastated by what she saw. The life in the galaxy was about to fade away and there was nothing she could do.

Surik looked back and saw tears falling from Kreia’s eyes.

- You were right exile. It is such a quiet thing, to fall…

The dark side entity moved towards the Emperor and channeled her full power against him.

The Emperor screamed. The only being he ever cared about just stabbed him in the back. For the first time in his millenia long life, he felt the human emotion of... sadness.

He was dying, the entity sacrificed her very essence to deliver the killing blow to the Emperor.

- My ascendance is inevitable, the day, a year, a millennium it matters not. I hold the patience of stone and the will of stars. – Emperor spoke, with voice that sounded as if thousands screamed at the same time.

- If I must die, I chose how. Everything dies with me. - And then, he has fallen.

Something was not right. The Emperor seemed beaten and his body lifelessly fell, but for some reason everyone could still feel as he was stealing life away from the galaxy.

- He is unleashing his full power against the entire galaxy! His essence can’t be destroyed! We must do something! – Scourge shouted.

There must always be Darth Traya and there must always be, The Emperor.

The weight of such a burden – it must be mine. Revan did not even think a second longer. He stood up and with all his remaining strength used an ability that he learned about when he was the Emperor’s prisoner for three hundred years.

He attempted to capture the Emperor’s soul. He opened up his mind and allowed himself to be possessed.

For split seconds, there was a complete silence.

And then, his eyes turned black and were filled with nothing but an empty void. With last bits of his unshakable, free will, he jumped into the abyss

His ultimate sacrifice just saved the entire galaxy.

And there, in the endless, never ending darkness he would combat the Emperor's influence. He did it before, for three centuries. As long as he was strong enough to oppose him, the galaxy was safe.

THE END

Edited by Deviss

Excellent story. The ending was particularly good. I enjoyed the reference to the end of Palpatine's spirit. This is the kind of death for Revan that I'm looking for. He is undeniably victorious, but the story is irrevocably over. Kudos.

This is the kind of death for Revan that I'm looking for. He is undeniably victorious, but the story is irrevocably over. Kudos.

Yeah, that is what I was attempting to achieve. I am glad I managed. ;)

Edited by Deviss

• 2 weeks later...
I didn’t quite like how Chapter 6 turned out - was writing it in a bit of rush thus I will be revamping it. For the time being it is removed (only partly). :p I have everything thought out now so once I'll finish and take my time, I'll add it here and update the whole thing. Ty to everyone for support. Edited by Deviss

I'd be very very sad if he was really killed at the foundry, seems like a very bland ending to a character like Revan, he is the main reason I am playing the game.

Ditto. One of the main reasons I wanted to play TOR is to discover Revan's fate. If he in fact is dead (his death not even being a max level flash point), it would be the single most anti-climactic end to a major character in any IP that I have ever seen.

It would be very cool to have the ending fight of revan to be on the Rakata home planet of Lehon where ruins of the Star Forge fell from being destroyed. Or where Revan, Juhani and Jolee Bindo confronted dark side Bastila.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lehon

Hell yeah! I kind of hope that we will be able to find Revan's holocron on Lehon.

Edited by Deviss

I think the really objectionable aspect of "The Foundry" is fighting (?) HK and Revan, when you'd much rather they be helping you, in whatever way. Especially since they're better characters than anybody in this game, sad to say.

If Revan had been a force ghost who spoke to the Jedi Knight as he was hunting the emperor--that would have been a cool use of Revan. If HK-47 wanted to assassinate the emperor, and you ran into him here and there, that would have been a cool use of HK. Even if HK got killed while trying to assassinate the emperor, say, helping the JK do so, it'd be an honorable way for HK to go out.

Killing HK-47--twice?--was on nobody's wishlish. I think it's the single worst way you could have even conceivably used everybody's favorite character.

That's why the Foundry is so spectacularly tone-deaf.

Especially Imperial players *like* that assassin droid.

Whoever said "Revan will help you on a future raid fighting the super-Emperor" has the right idea. Even if he's a force ghost.

If HK-47 was there help "assassinate the emperor," that'd be cool too. It makes sense he'd want to assassinate him.

Keep Revan dead, bring him back as a force ghost--bring HK-47 back in the flesh (one of the story quests could have you re-build him,) ultimately to help players do the ultimate raid against the emperor.

As for the jedi knight storyline, Revan would fit in it very well but it would cause many controversy. Why? People could get mad that BioWare is favouring JK class over other classes. I personally believe that if BioWare ever decided to release KotOR 3 instead of SW:TOR, JK storyline would actually be the KotOR 3's storyline (of course partly, probably many things would have changed). It is even possible that orignally BioWare was planning to create KotOR 3 but ultimately decided to create its first MMORPG. And they used KotOR 3 storyline for JK. I think that Drew Karpyshyn was the one working on JK class story.

Also, I don't get why people keep saying that Revan should return as a force ghost. To become a forst ghost you firstly need to die. And he is not dead, you never see him die. He just vanishes/disappears/teleports, interpret it as you want. BUT HE IS NOT DEAD. Just as he was about to die he shielded himself and was immune to all incoming attacks.

Edited by Deviss

As for the jedi knight storyline, Revan would fit in it very well but it would cause many controversy. Why? People could get mad that BioWare is favouring JK class over other classes. I personally believe that if BioWare ever decided to release KotOR 3 instead of SW:TOR, JK storyline would actually be the KotOR 3's storyline (of course partly, probably many things would have changed). It is even possible that orignally BioWare was planning to create KotOR 3 but ultimately decided to create its first MMORPG. And they used KotOR 3 storyline for JK. I think that Drew Karpyshyn was the one working on JK class story.

Also, I don't get why people keep saying that Revan should return as a force ghost. To become a forst ghost you firstly need to die. And he is not dead, you never see him die. He just vanishes/disappears/teleports, interpret it as you want. BUT HE IS NOT DEAD. Just as he was about to die he shielded himself and was immune to all incoming attacks.

KotOR3 was scrapped by LA probably after they made a deal with Bioware about TOR. At least according to the information i was able to reach. By KotOR3 i mean their(LA) internal KotOR3 preproduction team. (A prove of that KotOR3 was in pre-production are the concept arts avaiable to find on the net). There is no indication that Bio worked on any K3 story before that deal. It seems they agreeded upon MMO seeing WoW success, bc Bio refused to do K2 bc they wanted to work on their own ip. Obsidian on the other hand said they would like to do K3, but LA never answered them having MMO in the works. (Not to mention it wouldn't fit with the direction SW started heading at that time)

Also according to devs blog, Drew joined the writing of JK storyline near the end of the process. Also if you take a close look at Scourge dialogs you will see it was likely recorded before Revan novel was written, thus had to be written sooner than Revan novel was in writing. (And it probably wasn't that long seeing how rushed the novel feels).

Also the implication that KotOR3 would deal with the events 300 after the second game is quite unlikely. They pushed the timeline only to have a place to incorporate game of mmo scope. Then released medicore novel to fill the gap.

Also ppl prefer Revan as a Force Ghost, bc taking the lore into the account it would make more sense imo. The plot armour they created for Revan is really an example of bad writing. Their orginal intention was to let Revan die. They changed their mind only bc fanboys couldn't stand that some characters can die and should die.

Revan "disappears," and so does Obi-wan--so he might as well be a force ghost.

Here's an idea: since Revan fell to the dark side again before you kill him, maybe his ghost actually tears in two, light/dark?

This would allow imperial players to consult with "dark side Revan" and light side players to talk to "light side Revan," while 1)sorta respecting your choices from KOTOR more, 2)making it seem like they planned it all along.

Obviously if Revan comes back like "whew! Sorta went dark side there, but those imperial players killing me cured it!", it'd be lame anyway.

Even the disappearing would make sense, since he's becoming a force ghost.

I don't know if it would work, but it's one idea.

KotOR3 was scrapped by LA probably after they made a deal with Bioware about TOR. At least according to the information i was able to reach. By KotOR3 i mean their(LA) internal KotOR3 preproduction team. (A prove of that KotOR3 was in pre-production are the concept arts avaiable to find on the net). There is no indication that Bio worked on any K3 story before that deal. It seems they agreeded upon MMO seeing WoW success, bc Bio refused to do K2 bc they wanted to work on their own ip. Obsidian on the other hand said they would like to do K3, but LA never answered them having MMO in the works. (Not to mention it wouldn't fit with the direction SW started heading at that time)

Also according to devs blog, Drew joined the writing of JK storyline near the end of the process. Also if you take a close look at Scourge dialogs you will see it was likely recorded before Revan novel was written, thus had to be written sooner than Revan novel was in writing. (And it probably wasn't that long seeing how rushed the novel feels).

Also the implication that KotOR3 would deal with the events 300 after the second game is quite unlikely. They pushed the timeline only to have a place to incorporate game of mmo scope. Then released medicore novel to fill the gap.

I guess that it makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. ;)

Also ppl prefer Revan as a Force Ghost, bc taking the lore into the account it would make more sense imo. The plot armour they created for Revan is really an example of bad writing. Their orginal intention was to let Revan die. They changed their mind only bc fanboys couldn't stand that some characters can die and should die.

Yeah, it is very likely that if it were not for fans, Revan would remain dead. I can understand that some people would like for Revan to just stay that way, but I am one of those fans that are just not happy with how the Foundry turned out in the end. And I believe there is a lot more of us, people that feel emotionally attached to their KotOR character - nothing to add here. I know that this game is not about Revan but he still is our beloved character. He deserves better ending. Better, more honorable death (Honor is a fool's prize! Glory is not for the dead! ^^).

Now as for the fic, I pretty much changed the whole thing (mostly chapters 5, 6 and 7). Head over to http://lorefreak.blogspot.com/p/revan-short-story-part-1.html and tell me what you think despite whether you consider it crap or decent! ; )

Edited by Deviss

Revan "disappears," and so does Obi-wan--so he might as well be a force ghost.

True but their disappearances were different. I find it very unlikely that we will see Revan in form of force ghost. Time will tell but I just have this feeling that we will see more of him IN PERSON for sure.

Edited by Deviss

SPOILER*****

If Revan was indeed killed in the foundry, he reached a higher path kind of like obi-wan or Yoda as he energizes and disappears. If this is how the developers wanted to end his story it would definitely make for a tragedy-type ending. Only problem is many many people do not enjoy tragic ending to their beloved characters.

I personally hope to see more of Revan himself, or at least follow more stories of his teachings and history.

• 3 weeks later...
My main is theexile on sith side(i should realy put a '' -'' but meh and my jedi is Meetra-surik for some reason they wont make me change my name idk why I like to pretend My main sith who i did make look like a evil version of force ghost is some kind of clone or was ressurected to do evil :D its a fun way to play,however the revan fight in foundry was rather awkward for me :p I made these toons on day 1 so i dident even know the exile would bein this but that book did hint that revan could of lived forever

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I have a question now.. just how canon is Revan's supposed death anyway?

Look at it this way...

Republc goes to Taral V and steals computer, then goes and RESCUES Revan from Malestrom.

Empire is attack a Republic Ship to steal it so they can sneak into the Foundry.

Now, the thing is... is it automatically canon that Revan was RESCUED? Because, Malgus says the Emperor let him go... now is Malgus not willing to admit he was rescued? Maybe, maybe not.

Point is though, with all of our decisions being a player choice, until an expansion comes out that solidifies one choice or the other, or some other way we know for sure... Revan being dead or alive after The Foundry is directly tied to whether or not it's canon.

Another example... Look at Hammer Station, Athiss, and Mandolorian Raiders... oh and Cadumimu too. Republic did it, EMpire did it... They both can't have done it because especially in Mandolorian Raiders you fight and kill the other faction's attempted boarding party.. soooo... which side is canon?

Even different flashpoints... In Black Talon was the Captain killed or let live? Was the General killed, or did you let him live? Which choices are canon? Neither of them, at least until for some reason they need to make a choice because for some reason they are not continuing our story but making an entirely new one.