How to beat Vaylin in Chapter 9

Aracyli

All the help from you guys helps me getting Vaylin down to about 60 - 50%. After that it does not matter what I do, she always gets me. She does something and my character cannot run or move. By the time it can move again I'm so far down on health that I cannot make it to any healing circle. No, I'm not stunned or similar - after a few times hitting jump I suddenly can move again, but its way too late.

As a trooper I must say this is near impossible if not impossible to win.

I don't know what I did exactly but hitting her in the purple circle and when my health came beneath 80% run and use medpacks, all kind of healing abilities and the green healing circles while run to and from her eventually got her. In the end it does not seem difficult but while one is at it it seems insurmountable.

Edited by Galen_S_Marek

Beating Vaylin in 5 minutes ( does not matter what class you are)

1. Get some heal pots from fleet for emergency before starting fight

2. When fight starts either hit Vaylin with a range strike or melee just once. Then run around the stairs avoid the purple circle. When the heal circles appear if you are under half hitpoints use the circle to heal. If you are above half hps, then train Vaylin into circle. The circle will do massive damage to Vaylin. Once Vaylin is in circle she will loose about 1/4 total hps and be stunned. Use Force power and run away to make her run toward you. Use the next healing circle on yourself. You need to put Vaylin in 4 circles and the circles will kill her.

what force powers ?

I don't know what I did exactly but hitting her in the purple circle and when my health came beneath 80% run and use medpacks, all kind of healing abilities and the green healing circles while run to and from her eventually got her. In the end it does not seem difficult but while one is at it it seems insurmountable.

Trying her on my sniper . It really is a pain . Don't have healing Abilities , or super sprint or anything like that .

I did try running around , was able to get her into 2 healing circle then for some reason she froze me and killed me . when I tried again...I got knocked off the platform and died lol

I don't understand why so many people are having problems with Vaylin. I didn't even encounter Force Slam until my third playthough when I missed an interrupt, so I'm assuming people aren't using their interrupt and that's maybe part of it. Never gone under 70% hp -- this is on my Marauder. Veteran mode was a bit more difficult than story, obviously -- still doable on a first try basis. Not sure what the issue is.

I don't understand why so many people are having problems with Vaylin. I didn't even encounter Force Slam until my third playthough when I missed an interrupt, so I'm assuming people aren't using their interrupt and that's maybe part of it. Never gone under 70% hp -- this is on my Marauder. Veteran mode was a bit more difficult than story, obviously -- still doable on a first try basis. Not sure what the issue is.

I did it on my Jedi consular , Sith Jugg and Sorc heal and Jedi consular heal with no issue . But on a sniper...I find it for some reason horrible to win . Maybe it,s my gear which I'm trying to fix .

As has been said fight Vaylin at the stairs to the throne. When she curls into a ball you'll see a red circle appear. Run quickly out of that circle and either find those green healing circles or wait till her AOE is done. Stay too close during her AOE and you will find yourself off the cliff and will need to repeat fight.

Thi fight is BS ... cant beat her on any char, stuck on that *********** chapter with 3 chars now. On storymode you should at least be able to beat her with a BIT of challenge but it is impossible. Put some movies on Youtube if you claim you beat her with a telekenetic sage or s scoundrel. Imo ... after 30 + tries: cant be done.

- up to chapter 9 I hade a great time ... this fight ruined the whole expansion for me -

Edited by Rudetski

Well, after having my Sith warrior blown off the plateau about 6 or 7 times in a row, I finally found a place to wedge myself into the rocks under the steps to the throne, and after a boringly long time managed to defeat Vaylin. Turns out that Vaylin is immune to interrupts (at least, that's what the message said, and mine didn't work), so finding a niche where she couldn't knock me off the plateau was the only way. Neither of us was doing much damage to the other, so I never really had to worry about trying to use the green healing circles, and I just outlasted her in the end.

Well, after having my Sith warrior blown off the plateau about 6 or 7 times in a row, I finally found a place to wedge myself into the rocks under the steps to the throne, and after a boringly long time managed to defeat Vaylin. Turns out that Vaylin is immune to interrupts (at least, that's what the message said, and mine didn't work), so finding a niche where she couldn't knock me off the plateau was the only way. Neither of us was doing much damage to the other, so I never really had to worry about trying to use the green healing circles, and I just outlasted her in the end.

Bummer; the green things do immense damage to her and greatly speed up the fight.

Thi fight is BS ... cant beat her on any char, stuck on that *********** chapter with 3 chars now. On storymode you should at least be able to beat her with a BIT of challenge but it is impossible. Put some movies on Youtube if you claim you beat her with a telekenetic sage or s scoundrel. Imo ... after 30 + tries: cant be done.

- up to chapter 9 I hade a great time ... this fight ruined the whole expansion for me -

Same for me, I tried it on a marauder, light side, so no benefit from the holocron, cant avoid her body slam where she spends 5 minutes bouncing me like a yoyo and essentially killing me, tried getting her to follow me to the healing orbs and she doesnt move until AFTER I run through an orb, and of course as soon as you run tinto it, it disappears. Ive read this entire thread, so maybe I might be able to find a tip or two to help me but my personal opinion is they need to power her down a bit, or a lot of ppl are going to stop playing once they reach this fight.

My fight(s) goes like this.

I generally leap in and swing my sabers being a sentinel

She takes 0 damage, or it appears so

She has a constant "AOE" with lightning and what not that is constant, it is NOT her force overlad.

These Lightnings can NOT be in any way dodged or blocked, they WILL kill you

Next is the INSULT of the healing nodes, they are there and SO F-ing What.......Vaylin stuns you, slows you to the point you can't get to the nodes....rendering them at best an added annoyance.

Now to her AOE, it is possible to get away from, HOWEVER since you are slowed and stunned that is somewhat hard.

So I decide to use my stunbraker.........it has 60seconds cooldown

so I use it, run 5 steps and is stunned with a MINUTE to wait.

Then I die

EVERY TIME

HOW do I fix this, what am I doing wrong and above all else HOW do I move AT ALL when I am actually in her face fighting, it is ok to stand there and fight, BUT I have to get to the healing nodes eventually, but being stunned and slowed this is impossible, also her OE as 0seconds cooldown, as she attcked me last time with AOE stun, and SLOW, slammed me to ground like a basket ball until I had 10% left, then stun and Her Suer Attack and dead.....

After a few days it is getting to the point of wanting to actually quit, having invested money and time for what turns out into NOTHING.

I like hard fights, but NOT impossible ones.

Nad yes a fight that 5% of an ELITIST completionist population CAN do after trying a few times is NOT a "normal" fight, not even at bos leves.

15seconds.......at least with the "old" emperor fight for the sentinel story, the fight was DOABLE, though hard......and you could team up for it even. Here you have spamming of AOE and Special Attcks, with a toon that has 1 stun break every 60 seconds......

Was a fun game until it broke

It isn't impossible.

I'm not a hardcore raider and I beat her on maybe the fourth try with a light side Sentinel in a mix of 208s and 216s. It's not an easy fight, but if you follow the tips in this thread she is very beatable. Once you get the hang of it, it isn't hard. It's just a matter of knowing the fight mechanics.

The keys really are just using your interrupts, not positioning yourself to where you can get knocked over the ledge, fighting her from melee range, avoiding her AOE attack, and using the healing pods to either heal yourself or damage her. You only need four of those healing pots to kill her, if you kite her over them.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

OK Stupid Question time. Do you mean at the Top of the stairs by the throne, or the bottom of the stairs by the Throne...

She's kicked my backside so many times, I could ID every Polygon on that set...

I positioned my toon at ground level pretty much right below the throne, with the wall for the stair platform at my character's back. If you get hit with the knockback there it will throw you against the wall rather than over the ledge.

It isn't impossible.

I'm not a hardcore raider and I beat her on maybe the fourth try with a light side Sentinel in a mix of 208s and 216s. It's not an easy fight, but if you follow the tips in this thread she is very beatable. Once you get the hang of it, it isn't hard. It's just a matter of knowing the fight mechanics.

The keys really are just using your interrupts, not positioning yourself to where you can get knocked over the ledge, fighting her from melee range, avoiding her AOE attack, and using the healing pods to either heal yourself or damage her. You only need four of those healing pots to kill her, if you kite her over them.

Here is the case.

I get close to her...she has a constat "storm" around her.

I hit her with my lightsabers, and use my abilities,

she then takes me down to half, I run for the heal nodes, but I can NOT move as in the W key does nothing

Then I take ALOT of damage, I am slowed and then I may or may not get the node and then I am knocked out of the platform.

Fight her by the thoren don't work, she still kicks you off the platform ,I still can not move and thus NOT get to the healing nodes, and I can not simply stand alone and take damage as that too kills me...

So yes the fight IS impossible, I have wasted 7 hours trying that ame fight

At least the emperor COULD be defeated

I positioned my toon at ground level pretty much right below the throne, with the wall for the stair platform at my character's back. If you get hit with the knockback there it will throw you against the wall rather than over the ledge.

No it bumps you out, I just tried this.

I was behind the stairs, under the throne, back to the "wall" tat makes out the stairs them self.......still knocked out of the zone

I actually think ANY knocking off the zone is overpowered and should be removed, it is not logical at all.

Also why on earth do we have interrupts and stub reaks? as they can't be used on bosses and have a HUGE cool down, yet ANY boss ha 1 second cooldown and can't be interrupted...

Game was fine until this....this broke it

Same for me, I tried it on a marauder, light side, so no benefit from the holocron, cant avoid her body slam where she spends 5 minutes bouncing me like a yoyo and essentially killing me, tried getting her to follow me to the healing orbs and she doesnt move until AFTER I run through an orb, and of course as soon as you run tinto it, it disappears. Ive read this entire thread, so maybe I might be able to find a tip or two to help me but my personal opinion is they need to power her down a bit, or a lot of ppl are going to stop playing once they reach this fight.

OR allow teaming up like you can with the emperor in the main story line ( knight )

That would not only make sense it would be the logical thing to do.

Having a choice option on dark or light that if you decide either the game is 100% locked is silly.

They need to tone this fight down more then a little bit.

For those playing with lower damage classes like the sage or smuggler, this may help.

I managed to defeat Vaylin in the end but I must have died at least 20 times before I managed to do so. If you go back to the fleet and buy armour mods with as much endurance as possible with shield or defence sub-stats, this can be done relatively easily.

The trick is to get Vaylin zapped by one of the green healing circles and just attack her as much as possible until she recovers. Then go over to the other side of the map and grab the other one that is floating around to heal you.

While you are waiting for them to respawn; just run around in circles, around the throne to minimise the amount of damage taken and repeat the process. It should only take around 4-5 mins tops if you do this correctly.

It is annoying, but it did work for me with plenty of health to spare. I only had 97k HP so it can be done with 80k i guess.

I hope this helps at least 1 person.

Edited by Crumpy-One

Thanks for the tips. I have been fighting Vaylin for awhile, now I have no armor left, I think? above my toon, their is armor displaying red. How do I fix that? With that showing, I just get close to Vaylin, I die. I feel so stuck in this fight! I try for an hour, then stop. come back again, for an hour, stop. It's so not fun. I'm playing story not veterian.

Any ideas?

You can defeat Vaylin without even attacking her once.

Just go under the stairs, line of sight her until the green heal circles spawn you do this by moving to the left or right under the stairs and she will keep moving left to right in front of the stairs.

When a green heal circle spawns wait until it gets close, stand on the other side of it and have Vaylin walk into it. she takes damage, then you run back under the stairs, there should be another green heal circle spawning shortly. grab that to top up whatever amount of health you lost when you lead Vaylin to the first heal circle.

then just repeat the process 4-5 times.

I do feel like something is broken with this fight. it was absolutely impossible on my shadow I Just did no damage. but I had zero problems on my Sorc. I had even left and reset the quest, trying again later with some 228 crafted gear mods. and still had couldn't do it.

Hope this helps you guys get it done. good luck

Edited by Extinctionzone

Really, either I'm a complete moron (which I doubt), or the fight needs some rebalance to fit for non-melee classes. Lightning Sorc is killed almost instantly, as he can't drag her anywhere, his lightning and even that thunder strike deals her ZERO damage even in right distance and he has no melee attacks (thanx devs who ripped him off his double stash) and healing costs him almost all the Force stack. Had tried 5 times with no success.

Green circles are all fun and good, but they spawn too slowly to be of any help. So my very best try was - 40% green circles damage. She has very strange pull and incapacitating abilities, those that are not stopped by Unbreakable Wil, and it seems she has some kind of teleport to appear wherever on the map.

And good luck to survive even for the FIRST circle to spawn.

All in all, I presume, the fight was designed for melee class. As the whole DLC, for Jedi Knight. Thanx, yeah, all other classes do not exist.

I understand that she's a boss and all that, but hey, it's STORY mode, not veteran! (by the way i don't think anyone would listen. Just hope I can drop the DLC and return to some class endgame content. Or I cannot?

Edited by LorcaGneditch

I do agree with that vaylin needs to be nerfed a little, but It only took me 2 times to figure out how to beat her with my slinger, It was hard but I just had to keep moving and picking up the heals that spawn across the area.....I guess the game was trying to bring forth the true skills of a pve player.......:) Guess we all just rely on our comps too much right? :D

Fight is not bad once you figure out that you need to stay in melee range to hurt her (otherwise she reflects your attack back at you), you need to kite her into the orbs, you need to avoid her big AoE, and you need to fight near orb spawns (i.e. bottom of the stairs). The orbs do massive damage to her.

But before you figure those things out, the fight is a frustrating thing for sure. I died several times. On the bright side, you know those DCD skills you've never had to use in PvE because OP healing companion? It turns out they are pretty awesome, even on DPS classes :)

They probably should have added a light side companion for this fight in story mode though.

Some things to keep in mind when fighting Vaylin:

- Stay close (inside the small, permanent circle). All Damage dealt while outside that circle is reflected back to you. Maybe that's why some of you think you deal no damage and die really fast?

- Use your class' Stun-Break ability (especially when she starts slamming you around)

- Use whatever Snare-break you might have when you feel slowed down (such as Force speed on Sages/Shadows with respective utility selection)

- Regularly use whatever debuff-cleansers you have in store (Not sure if she puts any debuffs on you, but it might explain why some die so fast)

- Run outside that huge red circle. She doesn't attack you while channeling Overload, that's your chance.

- Use the healing memories to heal you, or kite Vaylin through them (this keeps you alive properly OR does massive damage to her).

If you keep those in mind, you will win. Still have to do this on my further alts, but I had to do this ONCE on my Marauder, even when not having Valky's father with me. It is absolutely feasible if you keep those mechanics in mind.

It's not that roflstomp kind of fight, Vaylin poses a challenge. But as some others already pointed out, you need to wear her down. My mara's fight took at minimum 10 minutes, maybe more, but I took her down.

Well, I tried all the tips I've read here on the forums. However, I keep dying, most of the time within 5-8 minutes on my Sentinel. I have to constantly run towards the orbs, cannot even attack her. But sooner or later I cannot reach the orbs anymore, because Vaylin pulls me back to her and roots me repeatedly, usually 3 times in a row, then she does the Basketball bounce move on me, or the syponing while my break is still on cooldown and I'm dead. Sometimes she also hits me with a random 12k and that's the end then.

Guess I can unsubscribe after 5 years :)