Class Changes: Medicine Operative / Sawbones Scoundrel

EricMusco

That's actually a huge deal.

Before, whenever peoples had a hard time reading or understanding something from one of his post, Musco would change it in a more "clear" manner. Now, this hasn't been done, and the actual difficulty to understand the changes announced in this post just show that they know they didn't improve anything. It's sad to see they are actually trying to hide it from us, even though most peoples here who play a scoundrel or took the time to verify saw through this right away. :rolleyes:

Still, good job Eric for this post, I didn't think it could be possible to say these nerfs in a way that would actually make peoples less aware of them. Even though it's not a nice part of the role of a community manager, you've handled it well. :p

Yeah, it is about verifying what was written, as to understand the actual effects of those changes requires checking out what each passive does right now in the first place, as I don't think anyone remembers names of all passives, something what was pointed out in this thread and nobody gives a thing. I think it is a result of outrage of nerfs, to rephrase nerfs in a way that wouldn't actually people what they are losing, but what they are NOT losing, as changes in commando healer are written in a similar way (although those changes are less connected with passives, so it's still easier to understand)

As a side note, regarding Musco, I remember when 5.0 was about to come, there was a description of Sly Surrender utility so badly written, that some people thought it makes SRMP tick instantly, and people were confused if huge healing by SRMP used after Surrender was planned or was a bug (it was a bug....). I honestly don't know if they rephrased that utility as I do not use it, but it was both funny and sad to see how different people understood how it works :D

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it is about verifying what was written, as to understand the actual effects of those changes requires checking out what each passive does right now in the first place, as I don't think anyone remembers names of all passives, something what was pointed out in this thread and nobody gives a thing. I think it is a result of outrage of nerfs, to rephrase nerfs in a way that wouldn't actually people what they are losing, but what they are NOT losing, as changes in commando healer are written in a similar way (although those changes are less connected with passives, so it's still easier to understand)

As a side note, regarding Musco, I remember when 5.0 was about to come, there was a description of Sly Surrender utility so badly written, that some people thought it makes SRMP tick instantly, and people were confused if huge healing by SRMP used after Surrender was planned or was a bug (it was a bug....). I honestly don't know if they rephrased that utility as I do not use it, but it was both funny and sad to see how different people understood how it works :D

Well, don't worry, you've just don't seen Translation error.

In the french client, Recklessness (active buff, increase by 60% the critical chance of your next two Force ability) is still written like "increase critical hit chance of your Force attack by 60% and heal yourself by 60%"

It is here as far as I can remember, and can be quite strange for new players. ^^

There is also the "Phasing Phantasm" utility for Assassins. English client says "absorb 60% damage when Force Speed is activated'"... French client says "increase your Damage Reduction by 60% when Force Speed is activated"...

Still, the best translation error was the ranked S8 silver title... "Sizzling" was translated as "torrid" in the french client. :rolleyes:

I really wish they had nerfed kolto waves over nerfing recuperative and surgical probe... this is a straight up nerf for operative in group ranked without any burst healing benefit whatsoever considering that good teams will not let you cast the new bursty kolto infusion. Also discouraging is the nerf to TA generation which will cut down on how many surgical probes you can use, which is another nerf to operative burst healing bc it's one of the few instant bursty heals we have.

Tldr this doesn't help operative burst healing in group ranked at all while nerfing the sustained :(

The "Intimidating" Heals an operative could put out is what made the devs nerf this class to below usefulness. They didn't realize that its group position and AoE healing that made up for all their numbers. They never had the ability to recover someone from near death without someone in pvp stunning them or even interrupting and having their target killed. Pve numbers that were thought as burst instead of AoE, and assuming that this translated into pvp exactly is the reason for this nerf. and mercs will still live forever and sorc healers exist still fine and competing.

I would like to mention that I think they forgot their buffs? I remember before this nerf that both kolto injection and kolto infusion had the same base healing, that was part of the reason you chose curative agent, to have a faster "Kolto injection heal" that just costs a tactical instead of gain. But looking at my operative while specced out of curative agent after the nerf, both injection and infusion are sitting at 10.2-11.8K. Would someone care to explain where our: "Kolto Infusion no longer applies a heal over time; instead, the initial heal now heals for 44.51% more" went? Edited by PrometheanDeath

I would like to mention that I think they forgot their buffs? I remember before this nerf that both kolto injection and kolto infusion had the same base healing, that was part of the reason you chose curative agent, to have a faster "Kolto injection heal" that just costs a tactical instead of gain. But looking at my operative while specced out of curative agent after the nerf, both injection and infusion are sitting at 10.2-11.8K. Would someone care to explain where our: "Kolto Infusion no longer applies a heal over time; instead, the initial heal now heals for 44.51% more" went?

I will play around with this tonight. I had high hopes for Kolto Infusion, though the Recuperative Nanotech nerf really hurts, along with the decreased TA procs.

Any idea if the buff to Kolto Infusion affects Lethality? (I'm at work)

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

I will play around with this tonight. I had high hopes for Kolto Infusion, though the Recuperative Nanotech nerf really hurts, along with the decreased TA procs.

Any idea if the buff to Kolto Infusion affects Lethality? (I'm at work)

The Kolto Infusion changes changed the baseline ability, so all Operatives will have the new Kolto Infusion

Not really, Scoundrel healer is one of the worst healer to play because of its lack of burst, low mobility and easy interrupt. I don't know where those nerfs came, but it isn't from PvP.

Agreed and these nerfs seemingly come from a "balance" point of view where all healers should have the same HPS and not overheal. Overhealing is sort of the nature of operative healing.

I haven't made it home yet, though, so for now you guys tell me how bad it is :(

Do nim operations will be hard for me now : i'm dps with assassin burst, or healer with agent ...

I will come back to my first love, jugg tank but i hâte this kind off ajustments with no sense ...

Really, a lot of people try the nim op and this is really hard, and developpers do this kind of crapp ...

And this fable about the targed dps, i don't trust this story ! i'm not a child who need a "once upon Musco " !

Extremely interested how these decisions were made and by whom. Operative heals was one of the only balanced specs in this game, it had strengths and weaknesses, as every class should. What you've done is attempt to make it play like every other healing class, nerf what it was good at, give it a half-azzed activation buff, without giving it any kind of interrupt immunity.

Who were the people who came up with these nerfs, and how did they determine them? I'm guessing from hitting their ship dummy.

All of these "theoretical numbers", I can count the number of operative healers on two hands that are capable of doing 10K + hps in pvp. I'm guessing the people who made these changes have never played operative either in nim raids or pvp. I guarantee none of them are remotely close to being good at the class.

- Make hots heal for less, making healer reliant on 2 cast heals with long cast time, both of which are easily interrupted. Way to kill a unique class.

- Decrease chance of tactical advantage, making class even less mobile, even after you've already hit its mobility in this patch (with the well thought out nerf to hots), further forcing healer to stand still and cast. Kick him in the ribs while he's down, that's the spirit.

- Reliance on two high energy casts makes energy management difficult. Obviously because you had no energy concerns whilst hitting the ship dummy.

- Reducing energy regeneration chance of diagnostic scan further hurts energy management. Since you already kicked him in the ribs, might as well go all the way and kick him in the special place, whilst wearing steel-toed boots.

- No interrupt immunity. You force the class to be played in the same way as other classes, and don't protect it. Operative is now a wz dummy, well done.

12 months of arsenal merc, without nerfing it's dcd's, but nerfing other classes that are "theoretically" over-performing...who are making these changes?

My honest-to-God solution for the development team. Give arsenal mercs the ability to guard, and give them taunts. Remove every other class in the game and make everyone play arsenal mercs, then you have no need to class balance, and won't be able to botch things any worse.

I can't give any more money to this game. I've left before and come back, but I think this time will be for good.

The brilliant 5X RNG dug the grave, the development team continually reinforcing the belief they have absolutely no clue what they're doing will finish the job.

12 months of arsenal merc, without nerfing it's dcd's, but nerfing other classes that are "theoretically" over-performing...who are making these changes?

Peter Griffin last I heard

My honest-to-God solution for the development team. Give arsenal mercs the ability to guard, and give them taunts. Remove every other class in the game and make everyone play arsenal mercs, then you have no need to class balance, and won't be able to botch things any worse.

I can't give any more money to this game. I've left before and come back, but I think this time will be for good.

The brilliant 5X RNG dug the grave, the development team continually reinforcing the belief they have absolutely no clue what they're doing will finish the job.

Truth!

Didn't have the time to fully test the changes, and probably don't have enough skill to notice them properly as well. ^^

Still, energy management is way harder, as well as tactical advantage generation, I run out of tactical advantage because HoT don't have the time to refill them properly, forcing me to cast a kolto injection instead, and losing a lot of time for it.

Another thing I noticed is the lack of burst improvement. Kolto Infusion is a lesser Kolto Injection now, because it doesn't have the crit given by set bonus and requires a tactical advantage. I could manage to heal a friend through a Fury Marauder burst before, now it's not possible, the delay on infusion/injection (as well as the lack of HoT) makes it way easier to be bypassed by hard-hitting ability.

The lack of interrupt immunity also make it horrible in a PvP setting :/

Edited by supertimtaf

Yep, for PvP sawbones/medicine has now officially been downgraded to "Powertech Tier" as in: Class destroyed.

Gonna miss you ol' medicine healer, we had alot of good times in PvP. I'll still bring you around for SM ops and FP's, about the last things left that OP healers can play through anymore.

GG BW!

Edited by DenariusJay

Haven't tested PvP yet, but Bestia Nim last night was doable. Co-heal was Merc. Usually I have the higher hps/similiar ehps. Was the other way around this time but I had to channel diagnostic scan more often due to energy problems. Need to test further with different bosses, but so far I wouldn't deem Operative healers unplayable. :t_biggrin:

I played 2 wzs and 2 arenas so far.

Only thing i noticed is lack of TA, but still not that bad. Making kolto infusion insta heal pretty lame decision to buff burst healz. I still was able to put some good numbers on freecast in arenas and wzs, but yeah lack of interrupt immunity hurts now even harder.

The Kolto Infusion changes changed the baseline ability, so all Operatives will have the new Kolto Infusion

The roll-heal is real right now. I played around with it last night on ruffian scoundrel. I was getting 20k crits without relic procs.

I sense that this will be nerfed for non-heal specs.... eventually.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

I healed an ev with mine last night, the biggest thing I noticed were increased energy costs and lower tactical advantage generation.

The buff to the upfront kolto injection is nice, but is rather offset by the requirement to have a tactical advantage, which is more difficult now.

Basically it seems for Pve at least operative heals will still function. This would seem to place operatives substantially behind sages and mandos for PvP though, both of whom have better, less interrupt prone, spike options. But then that was true already, I suppose.

I didn't notice a massive difficulty spike in healing HM False Emperor tonight (though the sniper did kark it a couple of times, which wasn't on the agenda). Seemed a little slower, but not to the extent where I would panic... just as long as the group remember not to leave me behind :rolleyes:

Anybody who knew how to play with operative before will now as well, although ranked will probably be "a little" more difficult than before. Anybody who was bad before will be even more so now. Those changes hurt - sure (especially the "burst change" on kolto infusion or what's it called - I don't want to waste an utility point to change it back to useful - "burst" isn't even close to what I'd call that) but they are somewhat manageable.

Just for the fun of it, I'd like to see the devs who came up with that change in ranked and see how they'd do. And please let me be in the opposite team all the time, that wouldn't be wintrading if they just suck on the classes they changed right?