Commanding Legacy and mirror classes

Vagessel

Hey folks,

I verified with the team and the current implementation is intended, but I am seeing some confusion around the perk so let me explain how it works. Every time you hit Command Rank 300 on one of the mirrored base Classes (more on that in a sec) you get a 25% bonus to the base value for CXP gains. Since there are four sets of mirrors, you can gain four stacks of this buff, up to a total of 100%. It looks like this:

• Any Knight or Warrior to 300 adds +25%
  • Any Consular or Inquisitor to 300 adds +25%
  • Any Smuggler or Agent to 300 adds +25%
  • Any Trooper or Bounty Hunter to 300 adds +25%

If someone has 0 characters to 300, but purchased this perk (before this update it was just a flat 25%) do they lose the 25% they already paid for?

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(i took out the quote because i didnt want the poster to think i was yelling at them as opposed to being annoyed right now at the deliberate deception. this is beyond the SH debacle. this jumps that line of just withholding information to out right deception. )

of course it was on purpose. Im not one to actually mince my words, but this was deliberate and calculated. Had they been more forthcoming then folks would have taken advantage of the CXP bursts and gotten the classes up and started the patch with 100%. No, while folks did take advantage of the CXP burst, they leveled the toons that they mostly played. sure, some have mirrors, but if one tended to play just Jedi, then playing a sent, knight, sage, and shadow would have netted them 50% though, as others have pointed out, they are different play styles.

This is not something they decided to do last minute and ALL communication prior to the patch going live specifically stated characters. One can play the game of stating that it was obvious and, i suppose, a part of me saw and does see the logic that is being placed behind it; but this was deliberate. And since the patch notes continue this charade of stating that it was based on characters and not classes this makes the ruse even more blatant.

very disappointed in them and they should apologize. I intend on working all my toons up to 300 regardless, but i had intended on taking my Knight and Jugg as my main two toons, but, as stated in another place, that is going to ahve to change.

edit: apparently eric posted while i was typing this. doesn't change much and is the atypical response we were expecting.

Edited by Qouivandes

I'm speechless. Except to say, I'm speechless.

Yeah, because it's not like some of us haven't done the grind ad nauseam already. I have 25% of my characters at 300 and about 15 more in the low to mid 200s. But, sure, I can't WAIT to experience the thrill of slightly more CXP on numbers 11, 12, 13...

Eric - man, I've spoken with you at the Orlando cantina this year... I totally understand this isn't something done maliciously, nor are you anything more than someone who helps to spread the word round these parts... But this "oops, our bad guys..." is getting old - fast. The official line was one thing, now we learn it was actually something totally different - and it's "oops"? You all have GOT to get it together on these sorts of things. No one here would be annoyed if it had been conveyed correctly in the first place. We would have no leg to stand on in regards to complaints. It would have been a known thing, we'd have done what we need to do...

I'm just really disappointed that, once again, it's say one thing, mean something else. You all need to mean what you say, and say what you mean. Not "oops."

Hey folks,

I verified with the team and the current implementation is intended, but I am seeing some confusion around the perk so let me explain how it works. Every time you hit Command Rank 300 on one of the mirrored base Classes (more on that in a sec) you get a 25% bonus to the base value for CXP gains. Since there are four sets of mirrors, you can gain four stacks of this buff, up to a total of 100%. It looks like this:

• Any Knight or Warrior to 300 adds +25%
  • Any Consular or Inquisitor to 300 adds +25%
  • Any Smuggler or Agent to 300 adds +25%
  • Any Trooper or Bounty Hunter to 300 adds +25%

Separately, I know there are questions about how we communicated (or didn’t) around this perk and so let me explain what happened. When Keith put information on the perk in the roadmap, it was meant to be fairly general, but we realize if we had been more specific we could have saved some of this frustration. The requirements for the perk were born out of some technical limitations which prevented us from giving you a bonus for any character which hit 300 (such as multiple Sith Warriors). As I was gathering the notes for 5.5, I didn’t realize that limitation had been put in place and it wasn’t caught during internal review. None of this is meant as an excuse, you should have had this information before today and it should have been in the notes. I apologize for that not being communicated, that’s on me.

The above information has been added into the patch notes for clarity, we hope that you still get to enjoy the benefits of increased CXP as you rank up in Galactic Command.

Thanks!

-eric

Eric -

There is a pretty HUGE difference between having 4 characters at 300 (the verbage you guys have used 100% of the time when talking about this) and having all 4 base classes at 300. Your after the fact "clarity" is not helpful. Telling us to enjoy our boost which probably won't apply to 95% of the people who play your game because they don't play every single base class is a joke.

If you can't manage to give people a boost based on the number of characters they have at 300, regardless of the base class, then you shouldn't have bothered to code this piece of garbage. It was a complete waste of development time and not helpful to really anybody.

And I say this as someone who has 100% boost because I DO play all base classes and did grind all of them to rank 300, back when the CXP rates for dailies was what you guys called "drastically high" and to the rest of us seemed just reasonable enough to get us to do them. But even that grew stale.

This is a crock. You guys probably should consider some other form of legacy perk that actually DOES give bonuses to people - because this is NOT it.

I verified with the team and the current implementation is intended, but I am seeing some confusion around the perk so let me explain how it works.

Eric,

we understand perfectly on how the perk works. Most of us do so, anyway. That's why there is this frustration.

When Keith put information on the perk in the roadmap, it was meant to be fairly general, but we realize if we had been more specific we could have saved some of this frustration. The requirements for the perk were born out of some technical limitations which prevented us from giving you a bonus for any character which hit 300 (such as multiple Sith Warriors).

Full stop right here. It wasn't "fairly general" at all. It was entirely detailed and thoroughly explained how the perk worked. There was nothing "fairly general" about it. There was a detailed explanation on what the perk is, what the perk does, how you can unlock the perk and how the percentages are accumulated. You did not add two things to the roadmap though:

1. The fact that each of the characters has to be of a different base class that can't be a mirror.

2. That the perk does not work at or above legacy level 300, which essentially only makes it worthwhile for leveling more and more alts.

This is not keeping it "fairly general", but taking out important requirements that can change hundreds of hours of conscious gameplay and class choice decisions. Both of those completely change how this perk is used. Whereas previously the perk could have worked for usage on a main character too, it now completely invalidates the perk for anything of the sort. The way you communicated vs. the way you designed this perk completely contradict each other in more than just "fairly general assumptions." Essentially, the perk is only valid if you love leveling tons of characters through GC. Apparently Keith loves doing that, but most of us don't. For everyone who wants to focus on a main character at GC 300, that perk is virtually useless when compared to what we were meant to know, which was that it would "double our GCXP gain if we had four characters at 300."

Whatever possible technical limitation there was on base classes, there was none about having it apply only to pre-300 characters. That is some pretty important information for anyone considering to get the perk. As a communication sciences student, there is a pretty big gap of understanding and reason between "You get 100% bonus GCXP" and "You get 100% bonus GCXP below the max level." The later one completely invalidates the perk for people who want to focus on a main after the four characters.

Previously, people could level three other characters to return to their main and gain more GCXP. Now that the patch hit, people have to see that them leveling one or two more characters for that purpose might be in vain because the perk doesn't apply to their main at 300, nor does it work if the classes are mirrored.

As for the technical issues: I have no access to the game's code, and thus I can only make some general assumptions, but I assume that the only way to count the legacy percentages was to tie it to a similar system than the legendary flair system, whereas the flag for each class is set. Even then I do not understand why you couldn't use base classes. It'd be one thing to claim that you cannot distinguish between Sentinels and Guardians since you have to use the base classes, but you clearly can as the system can recognize it.

You actually added an achievement that proves the system can recognize it. It's called "Resolute Commander." And, obviously, all the achievements tied to it:

Commanding Knight: Reached Command Rank 300 with a Jedi Knight character.

Commanding Warrior: Reached Command Rank 300 with a Sith Warrior character.

The system can clearly differentiate between two of the same base classes here. As I am not awarded the warrior achievement when I am logging into my GCL 300 guardian (Knight), the system can clearly differentiate when the mirror class on the other faction doesn't have the appropriate command level, and it can see when a single base class reaches the appropriate command level to grant the achievement.

While this wouldn't necessarily solve the issue of the same base class, it would solve the issue of mirror classes. That means people who, for example, only main force user classes could be granted the perk because the system could see that their four base classes are different. You still couldn't play four assassins to get the bonus, seeing the system couldn't flag them, but you could at least play two classes and their mirrors.

I'd like your software engineers to explain that one to us, because as someone who finished training as a software engineer before going into communication sciences, I really only see a partial issue here.

And what limitation causes the perk only to apply to pre-300 characters and be unusable for anyone who wants to focus on a main after finishing four characters? I am curious about that one too.

The above information has been added into the patch notes for clarity, we hope that you still get to enjoy the benefits of increased CXP as you rank up in Galactic Command.

No, I will not. In fact, I think me and quite a few other players are tired of the hamstring that is GC. This community has voiced their issues with GC time and time again, yet the system and it's associated perks and mechanics keep pestering us month after month. I have no intention to rank up a sixth, seventh or eight character through the GC system beyond the four mains I already have.

This perk is virtually useless for people who don't like to level up dozens of characters through GC and pretend the endless grind for more and more GC ranks on characters you will never actively play is fun.

Edited by Alssaran

I really hope they change this soon ... not that I am to bothered by it, but it does piss me off. I have an Assassin, a Sentinel and a Mercenary at rank 300, I was at 203 for a Juggernaut ... so thats 75%. I hoped that I would just benefit from this week to get my Jug to 300 and get the full boost, but this is an UNACCEPTABLE announcement and needs to be changed ASAP. I don't ask this I demand this this time. If this was intended from the moment Keith said something, you knew and you had the obligation to tell us this beforehand not after the patch was delivered. This is bad management Eric, once again.

First the CXP reduced now this BS, are you deliberately trying to piss off the playerbase?

Well thought out, well reasoned, and eloquent statement.

I didn't want to quote the whole thing Alssaran, but I wanted to say thank you for saying a lot of what I want/wanted to say, but am currently too... pissy to say it as well and as clearly.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this one - and as one who has many times many 300s (but lo, just 25%!) - I thank you for speaking for me.

And Eric - man, sorry you're in this spot with us all focusing on you (I include myself in the mob, to be sure!. I will defend you in that - you're just doing your job here. But... I dunno, I wish I could see if you're shaking your head like so many of us are too.

You've even upset TUXs with this nonsense Eric.

What is the exact reason for this ever so slightly convoluted mess of a perk?

More than you know. I have given Keith the benefit of the doubt at every freaking turn...but this is one too many. I'm livid, and I will make sure every player I talk to knows how freaking upset I am. I may have been a critic on the forums, but in-game, I have defended this game and this company every day...never again.

It seems like the response to the miscommunication is suck it up buttercup, our bad it will probably happen in the future as well. I'm suspecting that people will lose their names and that will be due to a miscommunication.

People that played the game enough to get multiple characters to 300 probably aren't the best people to annoy unless the plan is to drive players away. As it stands:

Today you have managed to annoy people that are fairly invested in the game, by in short misleading them.

Come the server merge you will annoy people that aren't currently subscribed as when they come back they will have lost their character name and likely have to use special characters or bastardize it with extra letters.

A serious lack of content this year along with nerfs has not given players much to do.

So unless the plan is to make as many people feed up with Bioware and SWTOR it doesn't seem like this is a good move while there seems little that can be done at this point indifference seems some what less than people hoped for.

Eh, I'm not that upset. My two GC 300 chars are a marauder and sentinel. As such, I'll get a 25% bonus instead of 50%. Oh well. Life goes on. I'm not sure how much I would play any of my sub 300 chars at this point anyway. We get 242 bolster now, so I can pvp with my e.g. Deception Sin and be pretty competitive and not really worry about gear too much.

Eh, I'm not that upset. My two GC 300 chars are a marauder and sentinel. As such, I'll get a 25% bonus instead of 50%. Oh well. Life goes on. I'm not sure how much I would play any of my sub 300 chars at this point anyway.

You don't get a bonus on them. The perk restricts it to pre-300 characters. So if your mains are at 300 and you have no intention playing the sub-300 characters, you don't get any bonus from it either.

What's that old quote?

"Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence?"

Something like that anyway.

But yeah, I think Grand Moff Sexy Voice amply covers my view on this

"Interesting. Lying or incompetent? No matter"

Either way, we still didn't get what we were promised.

Look on the bright side, since they nerfed the CXP rates down again 100% of nothing is nothing!

They needed to keep the levels they had for the dailies bug. Putting them way back down to nothingness and offering a "bonus" to those of us who levelled each Base/Mirror Class just doesnt cut it.

It's back to Biodeaf ears not listening to players who say the grind is killing the game.

I'm just glad i got my 4 base ones to 300, I'm not grining any more. Been there, done it, sick of it.

Hey folks,

I verified with the team and the current implementation is intended,..

Thanks!

-eric

-eric,

When people say that the problem with the devs is that they don't play the game, I think that it is your lack of interest in getting correct information to us in the first place about things that helps to give this impression.

I know that you have said that you used to be a progression raider back when the game first launched, and now you are a collector and you like to play the gtn so that you can take advantage of players that misprice items so that you can buy stuff and then sell it for a profit.

The thing is, if you would actually do things like pvp, run flashpoint, operations, and gsf, you might want to know more about what was happening in the game, an would probably do a better job at informing us about coming changes than you currently do. Heck, you might even do a better job of representing those of us that pay to play when folks from the production side of the house ask for your input.

Instead, you go on you merry way, and are constantly surprised by things like this, and by our reaction to things like this, and I doubt that will ever change unless you start taking more interest in the game itself,

Edited by Exly

There are many things that upset me about this issue and the response we got.

In particular: "Technical limitations"... They always seem to appear when you don't want to justify your actions. Just last week, when renaming servers "was impossible due to technical limitations", but within 24h of that statement "The Hot Prospect" was renamed to "Satele Shan".

So how about we put the technical limitations aside and you either stand up to your decisions or you listen to your players and remove this unnecessary restriction?