Bring back the giggles!

Boogety

Please look at the various threads posted by Smugglers and Agents in regards to the laugh being removed when Upper Hand/Tactical Advantage procs. Just do a search on giggle/laugh/upper hand/tactical advantage/grunt, etc. There are numerous threads with 99% of the people posting very upset about this feature being removed.

Please, please find a way to bring this feature back as truly this one simple sound MADE the smuggler/agents a super fun class to play. Not only is laughter infectious, but it suited the class perfectly in the in-game interaction with others, and lastly the sound had a useful purpose! It alerted the player to their procs, which is vital for several skills to be utilized during gameplay.

As a healer specced smuggler, I can't be constantly staring at the super tiny buffs to determine when this sometimes random proc happened or glancing back at my bar to see the skills light up as available. Most good players use multiple cues to aid them during fights, auditory ones can make a world of difference when combined with visual cues.

That giggle/laugh proc sound is CENTRAL to the character in the fact that is was useful in gameplay and quite a distinctive personality trait for the class. The new, and severely generic, sound can barely be heard even when standing alone in relative quiet - much less in the hubub of actual fighting.

If the sound is considered such an annoyance/problem, at least make it client-side only with a toggle on/off.

I have truly lost all motivation to play my smuggler or work on my agent - and after having had to leave a 50 sage and two other mid-level characters on my first (and mostly dead) server... re-rolling to the new server and trying out the smuggler. I found MY true niche and had the most fun I've had in years playing this one class archtype (smuggler/agent). It has now lost its luster and charm.

Thank you.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see some kind of toggle for this. I personally enjoyed the sound, and found it easier to monitor the proc because it was distinct. Now its not near as noticeable, actually I had no idea that was what the weird click sound was for till it was mentioned.

I can see why people find it annoying, but meh, toggle would be great. >.<

I preferred the original laughing sound to the current one by far as well.

Just like Boogety i heavily rely (relied) on the clearly audibile dinstinguished sound of upper hand/tactical advantage becoming availlable. :confused:

Plus, it was fun. Especially the female versions. At least in my book. :cool:

I can understand that some other players might have been annoyed by this. Especially if not playing an agent/smuggler. So i support the idea of making it client side, like the companion comments.

Giving us an option to toggle it on/off would of course be nice, but would immediately prompt reactions of other players: "why does their class have something like that and i can't switch off my -insert various sounds of other classes-". :eek:

The new sound is almost impossible to hear over background combat sounds which makes it useless.

The laugh was distinctive enough that you could pick it out from combat sounds.

This isn't just a background sound, we are actually supposed to take action when we hear it. So make it stand out from the background sounds that we are supposed to ignore.

/signed

Taking this feature out made my smuggler less of a joy to play. Nerf and balance gameplay all you want - I'll adjust and adapt. But I felt like taking the giggle away detracted from my smuggler's personality/character. She's not giggling anymore, and neither am I.

/signed

So here... Instead of a laugh that every scoundrel/op loved so much. You give us a Tracer missile cast sound. REALLY?

And guess what... some people were tired of hearing it? Well why can't they hear that freaking Tracer missile cast sound now?

Now instead of other being annoyed by a giggle. We are annoyed by a tracer missile sound.

Easy fix you should have done instead : Make the giggle only sound for the Scoundrel/Op and not for everyone.

So stupid.

/signed

Taking this feature out made my smuggler less of a joy to play. Nerf and balance gameplay all you want - I'll adjust and adapt. But I felt like taking the giggle away detracted from my smuggler's personality/character. She's not giggling anymore, and neither am I.

bump... not impressed with this pointless nerf

/Signed

This NEEDS to come back, I can't stand the new sound! I'm a Chiss Agent that loves watching a bloodbath unfold, not an emotionless robot, I want to laugh as my team-mates rip apart anything in our way as I release my tasty medicine into them.

Bring it back!

/signed

I liked it a lot better with the laugh. Suited the character and was more recognizable among all the battle sounds.

Besides this change was completely uncalled for, did anybody complain about the laugh?

Edited by kaboro

/signed

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylancholy

"I sympathize with the scoundrels who are upset over this, but from my point of view it was really annoying me in ops.

A couple of us in my guild were starting to hate taking scoundrels in ops because of the giggle. It was annoying us a lot."

Maybe they can bring it back but have it so that only the player can hear it.

Completely agreed, both with the OP and with what I bolded.

Not having an audible alert -- one very different from other game sounds -- for Upper Hand makes playing the Smuggler more difficult after 1.2.

If this is "working as intended" the design was off target. If it isn't working as intended it should be repaired/fixed/changed. However, there is no reason to alert the whole party for what is essentially a single character's alert message ... so that's two reasons why the function doesn't work right.

Edited by Stryklone

As an operative I fully support this. I want my giggles back!

Why it was removed is beyond me tbh. The "sound fatigue" argument seems like a very poor excuse to me, as it a) doesn't compare in the slightest with the speeder-engine-constantly-at-full-throttle-even-while-standing-still noise currently experienced...especially on the fleet, and b) it could have been made a toggle.

My main gripe is basically this: If it works well, then don't mess with it.

Someone at BioWare (kudos to that person) came up with a great gameplay mechanic that was not only distinct and easy to hear over the overall combat noise, but it was also something that added character and something cool to your toon; the giggles.

As many pointed out, the current sound doesn't cut it as you don't notice it over the already massive wall of tech-noise that hits you in combat.

Adding another "bleep-ploop" or "pzzzzt" to the zillions already existing ones doesn't help noticing it and it does NOT serve as a good audio indicator IMO.

The "giggle" worked perfectly in this regard, it let you know immediately what you needed to know, it was distinct, easily recognized and clearly distinguishable...in short: it worked and it worked very well.

Anyway, please bring it back. Make it a toggleable option if needed (so you can select between a "tech noise" and "giggle" for this alert and perhaps also for the receiving end for those who may get bothered by it) but please bring it back.

Thanks in advance

SE

Edited by ShavedEwok