Vanguard Pure DPS viability and or builds?

CamoClad

Greetings all,

Recently took a break from the Empire and started my long awaited Trooper character with some fellow guildies. From past games, I find that I am much better am dps classes, then medic or tanks. I like to stay mobile and long casts time seem slow and clunky to me. Looking at the skill trees, I see that the Vanguard has two DPS trees and a tanking tree. I know that the Commando might be better at DPS with their large cannons, but seems like the Vanguard would be more mobile with its DPS.

My main question is if the Vanguard DPS trees can be used to make a Trooper a pure DPS character or should I give up this thought and pick Commando for DPS or play a Vanguard as a Tank/DPs? Thank ahead of time for the advice.

Not an expert, but just an observation after using vanguard up to 40 now and using commando back in beta.

The dps is not gonna be on par with commando of course, now that we get that out of the way... there's a second point, you have to be at short if not melee range, or you have to bring them towards you with harpoon (which is not gonna work beyond most world PvE mobs)

as strange as it may sound, vanguard have to be at very short or melee range to do the bulk of their dps and maintain it, it's theoretically possible i suppose to use the plasma cell tree and do a decent dps at range, but it's not gonna cut it really until u get closer (10m range at least) to open up other abilities into the rotation.

and technically you should be familiar with it, since it's identical more or less with powertech bounty hunter.

Edited by BronzeD

You can do pretty nice damage speccing into the assault tree. To do the most damage, and utilize all your skills (except stockstrike) you need to be able to run into the 10m range. Still you can do pretty good damage at range. I mostly stay just outside 10m and make a quick step forward to let out ion pulse to refresh plasma cell if hasn't already procced.

Plus this spec is great for kiting lol! I alternate Ion pulse with either hammer shot or another instant cast and just let them try to chase me down! That said you have to spec into the slow skill for ion for that to work.... But pure melee bosses and characters are in a world of hurt.... Usually.... When I come around lol.

It's pretty fun, deals pretty good damage (not like a commando for pve but due to itsmmobile nature, more than commando in most pvp), and causes you to have to think, move around, and time your dots.

I personally think its more fun and survivable than tactics, but that is a matter of preference... As are most things about this game!

• 4 weeks later...

The dps is not gonna be on par with commando of course, now that we get that out of the way...

Don't know how you know that? I would be very interested in any site that can prove out any DPS in this game I haven't found any.

On to the question: Yes you can do good DPS as a Vanguard with the Assault tree, you are mobile and at melee range to be most effective. Is it as good or better DPS than the Commando I would love to see the numbers, so for now it's about:

Commando = Heals and Stationary Range DPS

Vanguard = Tanks and Mobile Melee DPS

That is how you should view it I believe. I'm currently a lvl 50 Vanguard DPS.

Don't know how you know that? I would be very interested in any site that can prove out any DPS in this game I haven't found any.

On to the question: Yes you can do good DPS as a Vanguard with the Assault tree, you are mobile and at melee range to be most effective. Is it as good or better DPS than the Commando I would love to see the numbers, so for now it's about:

Commando = Heals and Stationary Range DPS

Vanguard = Tanks and Mobile Melee DPS

That is how you should view it I believe. I'm currently a lvl 50 Vanguard DPS.

Also a lvl 50 dps Van and I generally agree with this.

I would also add that even if we did have numbers that were off-balance, it would eventually be balanced...If fully committed to a dps role, a class with a dps spec and dps gear should be able to function at equal level...What sense, from a game-design standpoint, would it make to have it otherwise?

Anyway, I'm Assault spec and personally feel I do more dps than I did in my Tactics spec...Many claim tactics is just as good, others that their weird tac-AS hybrid spec does even better...No-one can prove anything either way.

My suggestion is to think long-term. Play the class with the playstyle you like as they'll both produce competitve dps in the long-run. As poster above me mentioned, stationary ranged vs mobile 'melee' for optimal dps...Whatever works for you.

edit: you mentioned Commando for dps or Van for tank/dps...If you are fully committed to dps as Van, you are no tank...

Edited by Themeatmarket

right tree is for dps.. middle tree is for people that didn't try right tree yet.

you are correct in your assesment that vanguard is mobile dps. there's no dps meters so we don't really know but in pvp we more than compete in burst damage with pyro. suspect we are about the same in pve dps too.

have fun

If you're looking for a pure vanguard DPS there is none, go scoundrel. Otherwise if you're looking to be a team player with a lot of utility and mobility look no further, hybrid tank/dps or Tactics/Assault build vanguard is amazing. Popping all my trinkets, adrenals and cooldowns while in a 8 man AoE deathzone I can survive the AoEs while using Explosive Surge (I can spam that 8 times I think) and crit everyone around me for 800-1.2k consistently. PVE tanking is also a breeze just make sure you have a PVE tank set otherwise your hp would be sub par. Don't get me wrong saying that vanguard's can not DPS but we're not pure DPS like scoundrels and commandos. Trinkets and all cool downs a vanguard can HIB crit for 2.5k and shockstrike for 2.4k plus assault spec means you have a chance to refresh HIB and crit for another 2.5k. Coupled with sticky nade thats some serious burst.

further to this dps discussion, what order of stats do I want to be focused on, for dps?

Just levelling my vanguard alt now. I would assme aim > end > crit/surge ?

Aim>End>Crit/Surge/Power

Once you hit 50 you get battle readiness which boosts your crit by 25% for 12 seconds and with trinkets hopefully 50% crit rate. Surge maxes out at 95% and its really not that useful considering how you're already dealing 30% more damage with hib/shockstrike on a crit (depending on how you spec). in the end you need to stack Power which does not have a cap and will boost your damage by a significant amount.

For PvE, you can absolutely make a viable "Pure DPS" build with Assault Spec: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801bMZMsZfhMbdGhrs.1

That will be one of your highest DPS PvE build and it performs every well in PvP (though, personally, I would move some points around to get Reflexive Shield for PvP but it is definitely not a "must-have"). It is a very fun spec because it weaves in Ranged damage with HIB, Assault Plastique, and Incendiary Round with hard-hitting melee from Stockstrike and the ability to kite melee in PvP with the 100% chance to apply a 2 sec snare when you use Ion Pulse.

Note: You will be using Plasma Cell with this build.

Edited by Kryptorchid

In pvp shields suck and so does any skill tree skill that gives you bonus mitiagation as most of the damage being dealt to you will be internal/elemental which ignores armor and shields entirely. You are better off taking the armor penetration and other skills that increase your own elemental/internal damage dealt. Google Taugrim vanguard swtor and watch his narrorated pvp vids the dude is an excellent source of pvp knowledge.

Greetings all,

Recently took a break from the Empire and started my long awaited Trooper character with some fellow guildies. From past games, I find that I am much better am dps classes, then medic or tanks. I like to stay mobile and long casts time seem slow and clunky to me. Looking at the skill trees, I see that the Vanguard has two DPS trees and a tanking tree. I know that the Commando might be better at DPS with their large cannons, but seems like the Vanguard would be more mobile with its DPS.

My main question is if the Vanguard DPS trees can be used to make a Trooper a pure DPS character or should I give up this thought and pick Commando for DPS or play a Vanguard as a Tank/DPs? Thank ahead of time for the advice.

I'm currently a Rank 65 BM, Vanguard and I spec pure DPS.

For PvP, it's definitely viable. As as been mentioned here, Assault Spec tends to have a higher total DPS over Tactics. However, that being said, in a PvP environment, Tactics has an opportunity to be more bursty and generally better @ taking care of healers. It's also much more challenging to play.

Assault Spec is a straight up burn tree, and it's quite effective.

The main difference is, Tactics is effective 10m in, Assault Spec 10m out, however they are both effective and I'm commonly top dps, out dpsing most Commandos, etc, with highest kills in most Warzones.

It's a fun class that's quite mobile, has some nice tank tools, and the ability to pressure most healers, and enough kiting tools to be effective.

I also run Vanguard DPS in Operations/Hardmodes.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised @ how good Vanguard DPS can be.

--Crackbone

Semi-related question: As a Shieldtech Vanguard, what cell should I switch to if I am filling a DPS slot for the party in a pinch? Do I stick with Ion, or swap to another?

Only problem with sticking with ION cell, if you are dpsing and aren't off tanking is the +threat. I'd probably go with high energy cell, simply because any of those elemental attacks will get additional damage, and you lack the talents in the shield tree to get plasma cell to land and DoT enough.

Just my opinion.

I'm currently a Rank 65 BM, Vanguard and I spec pure DPS.

For PvP, it's definitely viable. As as been mentioned here, Assault Spec tends to have a higher total DPS over Tactics. However, that being said, in a PvP environment, Tactics has an opportunity to be more bursty and generally better @ taking care of healers. It's also much more challenging to play.

Assault Spec is a straight up burn tree, and it's quite effective.

The main difference is, Tactics is effective 10m in, Assault Spec 10m out, however they are both effective and I'm commonly top dps, out dpsing most Commandos, etc, with highest kills in most Warzones.

It's a fun class that's quite mobile, has some nice tank tools, and the ability to pressure most healers, and enough kiting tools to be effective.

I also run Vanguard DPS in Operations/Hardmodes.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised @ how good Vanguard DPS can be.

--Crackbone

What is your current spec?