What Role is Under Populated So Far?

Anyone who is in playing so far notice if there's a lack of a particular role in groups or flash points? Tanks? Healers? Both? Anything?

Based on the forums this week I would say that sane players who don't whine a lot will be significantly under represented in any kind of group.

Historically MMOs will be short on Tanks and Healers. From all of the Beta reports, the current UI system is also very frustrating for healers. They have difficulty seeing the debuffs on people unless running in raid mode and there were other frustrations mentioned.

Until Bioware makes the UI more flexible, I'm personally expecting the Healer spec'ed characters to be the rarest.

I ran two instances as the tank and I had no problem finding healers or dps. While watching chat I didn't see any particular group having a problem getting a role filled.

It's too early to tell, everyone is running as much as they can and as often as possible right now. Even in WoW with its horrific class distribution imbalances you can get groups instantly during the first week of any new content.

This is my narrow opinion based on what I recall and not based on actual facts: No particular class will be short handed. Tanks are fun to play, healers are fun to play, and as always, DPS is fun to play.

There were actually a few times where there were no DPS available during Beta. During the beta weekends, even. I was amazed. Two tanks and a healer looking for a DPS. Two Healers and a Tank looking for a DPS. 4 DPS going through, thinking they could beat the flashpoint solo. 4 Tanks going t.... you get the point, I hope.

For the next several months, I highly doubt you will see much in the way of shortcomings when it comes to a particular role. There are multiple classes that can potentially fulfill multiple roles as needed. All I ask from other players is to try a play a class to about level 30 (not level 22, or 25. 28-30). By then, you should really see a solid idea of what each class is capable of (DPS and Healing, Tanking and DPS. AOE DPS and Single Target DPS, etc).

My guess would be that the biggest shortage will be in tanks. As they generally carry the most responsibility in a run more people shy away from the role. Similarly healers will be in short supply as the role with the second most responsibility in most cases.

That's my theory anyway...

But but but... They've made both stereotypes so much fun! I ACTUALLY like playing a tank on this game. Same with playing a Healer. I mean... I actually like it. This coming from a player who has always without fail either played a Controller type character, or DPS (with a heavy trend toward DPS).

I mean, it's so much fun that it is actually refreshing. Do you know how insanely good a Healer + Tank duo can be when defending an objective/carrying a ball/running through a Flashpoint? Add in the odd DPS to beat down health or the AOE DPS stuff to blow away minions, and it's party time!

GAH. Fine. I'm rolling a Guardian now. I WAS going to roll Shadow as my first launch character but nooooo.

How can any role be under populated in SWTOR? You can always pull a companion out. Shoot no tank... just a sec pulling one out. Oh no we dont have a healer wait i have one in my back pocket.

True there making games more and more for the avg stay at home mom:p