Malavai Quinn Does Not Heal

Drainedsoul

So he's in Med Watch, all his damaging abilities (except "auto attack" which you can't disable for some reason) are disabled, and he stands right next to me (I keep him on passive 'till he runs up next to me so I'm sure he's in range) shooting at mobs until I die.

Never casts a single heal, even though they're all on auto-cast.

And yet, after I die, and I res, and I'm out of combat, Channelling Hatred, he starts healing me...

EDIT: He exhibited this behaviour before I started pulling him in next to me by putting him in passive and then taking him out of it, I just started doing that because I've had bad experiences with Doc (JK) getting out of range and just switching to shooting things instead of running into range to heal.

BioWare's AI code is extremely poor...

Edited by Drainedsoul

I have never once had this issue. I was going to suggest to stop messing around with the Passive function, but if he was doing it beforehand I don't know what to tell you. Quinn has never let me down whilst in Med Watch. And I didn't disable a single one of his attacks either; he just prioritized on his own to heal me before throwing some punches.

Weird that a select few seem to have issues with the guy.

Edited by AmedusTOR

The only time i've ever seen what you're talking about is when he's on passive. Are you absolutely sure you're taking him out of that?

The first time he exhibited this behaviour he wasn't in passive ever, at all.

I started doing the passive/unpassive thing just to eliminate the possibility of out of range, after he'd already exhibited the behaviour and let me die.

EDIT: He exhibited this behaviour before I started pulling him in next to me by putting him in passive and then taking him out of it, I just started doing that because I've had bad experiences with Doc (JK) getting out of range and just switching to shooting things instead of running into range to heal.

BioWare's AI code is extremely poor...

Yeah that is not a good idea. Only use the passive mode if you want companions to de-aggress from a bugged NPC. Otherwise they tend to do strange things. I learned that running around a bit, doing a bit of jumpy jumpy gets your companion back to you too without any weird behavior in the next fight.

I also noticed that using force leap over terrain obstacles can cause your companion to do strange pathfinding. If you leap over canyons or up high terrain steps your healer wont heal you but run away searching for a way to walk to you even if he was still in range. So only do that if you know you can down the NPC without heals.

Edited by eatZecaai

His Ranged attacks have a greater range than his heal. Sometimes you can leap out of his distance and he'll sit there just shooting. When that happens pop him on Passive he'll walk to you then take him out and he;ll start healing He doesn't have to go to far just in range of his heals.

Hope this helped.

Honestly though after certain circumstances in the story I've retired him and started using my Droid, geared he's a bit more reliable than Quinn

I have noticed the same thing over the past day or so. Partnering with my wife who is a sniper and she sees him just standing around, whether I Force Charge or just run in, even when he is in range he doesn't heal anyone until they are almost dead. This is my second warrior I am leveling and have never had an issue with Quinn before.

It's not just Quin, its like this with all healing companions. Their AI needs some fine tuning, it should be that when in heal stance their priority is 20 yards in range of player not hostile target>Heals>DPS.

They should be coded better to keep the player at 100%

I experienced this as well and it is extremely annoying and mostly seems to be an out of range issue.

Havent really experienced him not healing me when Im right next to him apart from certain bugged areas in the game world where you are also not able to target things that are right next to you.

Seems to plague sith warriors/jedi knights a lot more as they jump away from their healing companion...and their healing companion stays at a longer range then their heals allow them to blasting away at the target.

Bioware needs to check the code on this one...

I experienced this as well and it is extremely annoying and mostly seems to be an out of range issue.

Havent really experienced him not healing me when Im right next to him apart from certain bugged areas in the game world where you are also not able to target things that are right next to you.

Seems to plague sith warriors/jedi knights a lot more as they jump away from their healing companion...and their healing companion stays at a longer range then their heals allow them to blasting away at the target.

Bioware needs to check the code on this one...

^Indeed, this is why you need to be careful jumping at max range since the AI gets hella stupid at times.

I've had this happen with healing companions too. It's something more than the out of range bug, because i've had companions beside me, out of combat, NOT on passive, and they just stand there refusing to heal.

I managed to fix it by sending my companion on a crew skill mission and immediately cancelling it to call them back. This seems to reset their AI. Might want to give that a try.

I didn't notice this til about 32, as before 32 he's been outstanding in his healing performance. But since 32, he's been pretty inconsistent. I'm getting more healing out of the Imperial Medical service droids.

I love 2V, but until I can turn off his voice I don't want him following me around 24/7. Too irritating.

It is helpful to turn off auto-cast on his channeled CC. I found that he would often spam this on every available mob and let me die as a result. Also I usually have to tell him to attack something after i put him on passive and if it dies before he actually attacks that target then he stays on passive.

It's definitely not just a range thing (though, that is part of it), since I've had that issue with Mako on my BH, and I always pull from range and stand next to her. Warriors don't seem to have as much of an issue with it, thought that may just be because I'm an Annihilation Marauder and things tend to die quickly and my bleeds heal me. I get that they don't want companions to be able to replace player healers (and as a Corruption Sorc main, I appreciate that), but it seems odd that, if you gear them correctly, dps and even tank companions are passable while the healers are just horrible.

I was soloing that champ near the defend the shipment mission when I first encountered this. I normally had no problems with that guy but for some reason quinn just kept blasting away and no healing.

Its a bug. To fix this he can't be at maximum range or all he will do is blast things. What I do is get into the minimum range to force charge and then leap in and he'll continue to heal like hes supposed to. If at that point he stops healing put him on passive for a min so he'll move in a bit closer.

The tool tip says his blast powers and heal powers all have the same range but that's either incorrect or this is just some sort of bug. But my work around seems to be ok.

His Ranged attacks have a greater range than his heal. Sometimes you can leap out of his distance and he'll sit there just shooting. When that happens pop him on Passive he'll walk to you then take him out and he;ll start healing He doesn't have to go to far just in range of his heals.

Hope this helped.

Also, I think sometimes there might be a LoS problem. He doesn't see you but sees an enemy, he'll shoot and that's it

I tend to force him to attack my own target when I start a pull, since I'm in melee range I think that can take care of that problem.

Honestly though after certain circumstances in the story I've retired him and started using my Droid, geared he's a bit more reliable than Quinn

Really ? I'm thinking of it myself. I bought several parts, but I'm lacking a gun for it, though I think I read the droid can't use one at all.

His AI isn't the greatest, I 'think' the problem is that he won't move into heal range. i get around this by starting the fight then moving toward him a bit. Another thing I do is when starting a fight I dont force jump into the mob(s), I walk in and start smacking 'em.

When geared and in range with the correct abilities turned on he makes a fine healer.