(Spoiler!) Does 'Darth Malgus' Die?

HANSY

Hey, maul also fell down a bottomless pit. And he was CUT IN HALF. Oh, and Luke also fell down a bottomless pit.

So I wouldn't be surprised at all if he returned. Wouldn't mind it though, Malgus is a pretty awesome character.

Do not forget boba fett fell into sarlacc pit. Yet he lived. So just because you fall in a pit the the star wars universe does not mean you will die.

Do not forget boba fett fell into sarlacc pit. Yet he lived. So just because you fall in a pit the the star wars universe does not mean you will die.

Yeah, my characters have all fallen into pits loads of times, and they've always wound up magically transported to a med station. :p

• 2 months later...
Didn't we already have this thread a couple of times already in the past few months? :rak_02:

Hall Hood (BioWare Lead Writer) mentions in his Interview with TORWars, that Malgus is officially dead.

Yes, well, George Lucas said Boba Fett was dead... Yet he is still alive and kicking. Plus BioWare COULD always be pulling you leg. though this may be the words of a hopeful fanboy who looks at Darth Maul and Boba Fett and goes "hmm....". :)

Didn't we already have this thread a couple of times already in the past few months? :rak_02:

Hall Hood (BioWare Lead Writer) mentions in his Interview with TORWars, that Malgus is officially dead.

Um, in the interview you linked he says specifically "This would be a wait and see" on the topic of whether Malgus comes back (33:00 minutes in), and "I can't say whether there are any specific plans to bring Malgus back" (33:30).

He does say that he's not committed to going the route of bringing him back, since the conflict is supposed to be about the larger story of Empire v Republic with individual heroes/villains coming in and out of the picture, but that's a far cry from saying he's "officially dead".

They deliberately left the door open to bringing him back, but they may or may not end up choosing to go that route.

They changed the FP, you don't have to drop him in the shaft anymore. He leaves a body. Case closed. Malgus is dead.

Amen lol. Ach it doesn't matter people will still have their theories. Maybe call me a bit of a 'die-hard' fan but to me, Malgus really HAS to die to become the empire's greatest martyr. He died for what he believed in and he changed the way the empire worked. If he did survive he would be the biggest coward ever. Rushing off to hide when he gets defeated. I'm glad they removed the need to push him off the platform which was just dumb but I really wish they could have added a tiny one line of dialogue at the end (even something cheesy like 'my legacy is complete'). I mean even Darth Serevin had a more respectable death with his 'Talsa-Ko, I've failed you'. Revan's exit is still the best in the game imho but he is allowed to disappear and rebuild because he isn't really that important in the old republic years. Plus his intention throughout swtor was to keep himself incapacitated so he wouldn't join the dark side again. He could easily come back and nobody would be surprised.

Malgus died for what he believed in and he even says 'Die or defeat me. Either way the empire is reborn' before the final battle so you know he doesn't care about the outcome.

Just saying :)

I would be really disappointed if he's dead for good, some much hype about him, CGI stuff, figurines, etc etc... just so he could die in an flashpoint? MEH... but hey, this is Bioware, just look at how they turned Revan into the most sissiest character ever. Edited by yoomazir

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I do really hope they have plans for him, he was such a great character, the posterman of the Empire. And they just threw him away...

EDIT: Its perfectly possible he didn't die and he escaped via his Fury class Interceptor to another location before the station blew.

Edited by MoskitoMando

I do really hope they have plans for him, he was such a great character, the posterman of the Empire. And they just threw him away...

EDIT: Its perfectly possible he didn't die and he escaped via his Fury class Interceptor to another location before the station blew.

Having in mind that Bioware made it possible for Malgus to be killed or thrown down the pit, I guess the possibilities of him returning are slim to none.

Also, no more clones, please. We got ENOUGH of that already and it's just a cheap gimmick, plot wise, when you're at a loss, from a creative standpoint.

To your point: Revan (very simularly to Malgus) doesn't really DIE. He disappears in a flash of light. I think Star Wars cannon says he uses Force Fold.

So by your logic, Ben Kenobi didn't die in episode 4 either since he vanished without leaving a body behind. Too bad that he actually WAS dead and appeared as a force ghost afterwards.. Light side characters have a tendency to do this when they die, become one with the force. In any case he won't be taking part in future content. The whole point of that flashpoint was to give Revan closure. They had to drag him through the centuries to do that.. Safe to presume the end is real.

I agree with others. Ever since Bioware nerfed fallen emperor flashpoint, we can be certain that Malgus is indeed dead. (I soloed the flashpoint just for kicks too :p)

Edited by Karkais

So by your logic, Ben Kenobi didn't die in episode 4 either since he vanished without leaving a body behind. Too bad that he actually WAS dead and appeared as a force ghost afterwards.. Light side characters have a tendency to do this when they die, become one with the force. In any case he won't be taking part in future content. The whole point of that flashpoint was to give Revan closure. They had to drag him through the centuries to do that.. Safe to presume the end is real.

I don't know where exactly I read this, but I remember Drew Karpyshyn saying that they deliberately chose to make Revan "vanish" like that so they could bring him back if they ever felt like it. And really, the Foundry didn't do a good job at providing Revan fans with closure.

But Malgus was confirmed dead, to get to topic.

I don't know where exactly I read this, but I remember Drew Karpyshyn saying that they deliberately chose to make Revan "vanish" like that so they could bring him back if they ever felt like it. And really, the Foundry didn't do a good job at providing Revan fans with closure.

But Malgus was confirmed dead, to get to topic.

I really, really hope they bring him back in some way, shape or form, even if its just another of his apprentices that carries on his legacy.

• 2 months later...

Right now I think it is ambiguous. They could either bring him back or make him permadead, without disrupting lore.

*If* they ever resume class stories, personally I would have Malgus return to lead an anti-Emperor faction of the Sith/Imperials. For the Sith class stories I'd have the Warrior and Inquisitor initially fighting against Malgus' rebels, until late in their class stories when the Emperor's true plans would be revealed. The Warrior and Inquisitor then would then join Malgus' Council (if for self-preservation alone), and help to bring the Emperor down.

I'd have the final battle against the Emperor (where he was killed, once and for all) be a group mission where both Republic and Imperial characters could ally to crush a common foe.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

• 3 weeks later...
So if Darth Malgus is alive then wouldn't Palpatine be alive :eek:

Palpatine's body died during his skydive in the Death Star, but he transferred his essence into a clone. Queue Dark Empire and all those shenanigans, he is eventually bound to a jedi and defeated once and for all.

• 1 year later...
I think there was rumours in the recent Comic Con, that he survived. But this is just hearsay.

Yeah I've read some rumours about it too now it got me wondering what will Malgus be like if he truly survived? Would he help us fight the Eternal Empire? Or seize the opportunity and start gathering his forces once again.

I think there was rumours in the recent Comic Con, that he survived. But this is just hearsay.

They showed cut content from the kotfe trailer at the comic con. In th cut content you can see how the siblings bring darth malgus frozen in carbonite to their father. The scene was deleted from the trailer, so he could still be death. Here is the post with the video.

I just ran False Emperor again the other day, if he's not dead, something's wrong. I find it hard to believe my character didn't make sure he was dead when she killed him.

Though, I will grant that it could have been a clone.

Well the way the fight was supposed to end was him falling into the reactor (I guess it was a reactor) and we should all know by now that falling into a reactor in Star Wars does not kill you especially when you're a sith. :rak_03: (Sidious and Maul)