When is the next name purge?

RaithHarth

But if that name is barely being used (if at all), you should have no right to claim to that name, especially when you are playing on a destination server, while that name is being grounded on another server you barely play on, that in itself is unjust.

Your argument here defeats your argument. You have no right to claim the name either. As others have pointed out, the name is taken, find another. You are essentially saying "They have no right to that name since they aren't leveling, so I should be able to use it". The fact is, they have every right to the name, since they got it first, apparently, since you can't use it. The one with no right to the name is, you may have guessed it, you.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your argument here defeats your argument. You have no right to claim the name either. As others have pointed out, the name is taken, find another. You are essentially saying "They have no right to that name since they aren't leveling, so I should be able to use it". The fact is, they have every right to the name, since they got it first, apparently, since you can't use it. The one with no right to the name is, you may have guessed it, you.

Yep, a lot of us have been trying to point that out. I don't know if the OP gets it or not. I can't even figure out the reasoning of calling it unjust, unfair or greedy myself. Its so hypocritical in its use here it causes space to fold in on itself.

But if that name is barely being used (if at all), you should have no right to claim to that name, especially when you are playing on a destination server, while that name is being grounded on another server you barely play on, that in itself is unjust.

a name being barely used is like being a little bit pregnant. it is either being used or it isnt. If they have it first, they have it.

Yep, a lot of us have been trying to point that out. I don't know if the OP gets it or not. I can't even figure out the reasoning of calling it unjust, unfair or greedy myself. Its so hypocritical in its use here it causes space to fold in on itself.

I don't think he'll ever get it. As far as he's concerned only he has any rights to a name.

the namestealers are never happy are they, always demanding to steal the name of others, if you want it get it b4 anyone else

Or the self centered types that feel they cannot play an MMORPG without that one name they've always used.

Or the self centered types that feel they cannot play an MMORPG without that one name they've always used.

Its only a name. I lost a few names in the server merge. I had let my sub lapse before that happened so I kind of expected it. (I was in my retirement from the army period, and heck, I wanted to do stuff outside during my terminal leave) .

I really liked those names, but it surely wasn't worth complaining about them. I just thought up new names. Wasn't that hard.

Yet taking a name that someone never really uses is alright? Sure they may be a subscriber, but holding a name hostage on another server while they play on their destination server is not right either.

I don't think he'll ever get it. As far as he's concerned only he has any rights to a name.

I never said I had the right to the name did I? I said it's not right for a subscriber to play on their destination server while making copies of that same name on multiple servers, while they sit around collecting dust and not put to good use.

I never said I had the right to the name did I? I said it's not right for a subscriber to play on their destination server while making copies of that same name on multiple servers, while they sit around collecting dust and not put to good use.

Look, you keep using emotionally charged words like "right", "unjust" and "greedy". Now you've added "hostage" to the list.

And you'll notice you gotten absolutely no traction on the forums. Try using actual logic in your argument.

Edited by Khevar

As a subscriber, one of the perks you get is that your names are protected. They are protected even if you do not ever log into that character and no matter how many people covet that name.

Even if that player is not a subscriber, the fact that the character is over level 33 protects that name even if that account is F2P. The fact that you covet that name is meaningless.

The devs set those rules.

What makes you think that you know better than the devs who has a right to any name? What makes you think that you, or anyone else has the right to take a name from another player?

Look, you keep using emotionally charged words like "right", "unjust" and "greedy". Now you've added "hostage" to the list.

And you'll notice you gotten absolutely no traction on the forums. Try using actual logic in your argument.

But I have, it's people like you that keeps dismissing my opinion as an argument while using my own slurs against me, go figure.

As a subscriber, one of the perks you get is that your names are protected. They are protected even if you do not ever log into that character and no matter how many people covet that name.

Even if that player is not a subscriber, the fact that the character is over level 33 protects that name even if that account is F2P. The fact that you covet that name is meaningless.

What makes you think that you know better than the devs who has a right to any name? What makes you think that you, or anyone else has the right to take a name from another player?

I'm not taking any sides in the matter but what about feedback for the devs on this matter?

Did I say I was better than the devs? Nope! I had an opinion and you all turned it all into an argument.

You are the one's trolling, not me, so please try and stop making me look like I'm the bad guy when I had only an opinion right from the get go about how names are being copied on multiple servers for insurance purposes while you play on your destination server while those other names gain nothing in return, you turned it into an argument.

Edited by RaithHarth

But I have, it's people like you that keeps dismissing my opinion as an argument while using my own slurs against me, go figure.

"People like you." "Slurs." Wow.

And the lack of logic, coupled with emotionally charged words, continues.

Let me ask you this: If Bioware were to do another name purge, using the exact same rules as the ones they did before, would you be satisfied? Or are you trying to lobby on behalf of a change to the "name purge rules"?

Edited by Khevar

Did I say I was better than the devs? Nope! I had an opinion and you all turned it all into an argument.

You are the one's trolling, not me, so please try and stop making me look like I'm the bad guy when I had only an opinion right from the get go about how names are being copied on multiple servers for insurance purposes while you play on your destination server while those other names gain nothing in return, you turned it into an argument.

No one is really trolling you. From what I've seen people are pointing out the holes in your argument and the general hypocrisy of some of your statements.

There may be some MMOs that won't let you make multiple characters on different servers with the same name, but I don't know of any. (excluding those where the character names are not account specific....Champions Online for example can have any number of "Magnifico-Man" characters on a server because the names are tied to the account. So you'd be Magnifico-Man@RaithHart and I could be Magnifico-Man@wilsonstone)

Theres a flaw in the logic you're using. You say the character name you want isn't being used and hasn't been for some time. You can tell because you have them on your friends list. But other than what level they are you can't really be sure if the player uses the character at all. There is one person I know of on my server that hasn't leveled for a few months but the character logs on every so often to hang out on the fleet and (usually annoy everyone....I mean 'talk') in general chat. Because you think the character is not in use the should be taken from the character. But you also said that names should be protected. You can't have both.

...and that's the way it works to be honest. Purging names would almost certainly tick off more people than it would make happy. Sometimes people take breaks from one MMO to play another. Sometimes things happen in RL and they stop playing. Maybe the guy is in the Marine Corps and is deployed. Maybe he or she just had a child and doesn't have time. Maybe they actually are playing on another server right now. It doesn't matter because they aren't going to forcibly rename the character if any or all of things are true. I know I'd be kinda mad if I stopped playing for awhile only to come back and find my name had been taken. Of course then theres this....(bolding mine, the quote is Ratajack's)

Even if that player is not a subscriber, the fact that the character is over level 33 protects that name even if that account is F2P.

There is nothing unfair, unjust or greedy about it. Just like no one is trolling the thread just to point those things out to you.

Theres a flaw in the logic you're using. You say the character name you want isn't being used and hasn't been for some time. You can tell because you have them on your friends list. But other than what level they are you can't really be sure if the player uses the character at all.

As an example which forwards wilsonstone's point, I've had a level 12 Powertech sitting on the fleet for almost 2 years now. I only use him for crafting. Legacy name isn't displayed. He's not in a guild. Anyone who has "friended" him because they wanted his name would not be able to tell what is happening with that toon.

I'm not stealing that name. I'm not greedy for failing to delete that character. I'm not holding that name hostage. It's neither right nor wrong that I have a level 12 toon sitting on the fleet for months without leveling him. It just IS.

Edited by Khevar

As an example which forwards wilsonstone's point, I've had a level 12 Powertech sitting on the fleet for almost 2 years now. I only use him for crafting. Legacy name isn't displayed. He's not in a guild. Anyone who has "friended" him because they wanted his name would not be able to tell what is happening with that toon.

I'm not stealing that name. I'm not greedy for failing to delete that character. I'm not holding that name hostage. It's neither right nor wrong that I have a level 12 toon sitting on the fleet for months without leveling him. It just IS.

You can't hold a name hostage. Especially in an MMO where you can name the character almost ANYTHING. (as long as its not against the ToS for obvious reasons). Heck in this game its even easier to make a unique name.

In City of Heroes and City of Villains (I know they were the same game in reality) I had a few character names I really liked, and I'll admit I took the names on about three different servers when I started playing. I ended up settling on one server and leveling them and only occasionally logging into the others. Then there were names I wanted but were already taken and on more than one server. I didn't look atr it as "That so ans so is holding the name hostage!"....I looked at it as "Oh well. Time to crack open the thesaurus and find another cool name.".

It's not a matter of stealing the name, it's a matter of principal, if you are under lvl 50 and haven't played that toon for the past 10 days the name should be reset, this should also apply for even subscribers, once you hit lvl 50 however, all subscribers should be protected in the same right.

Edited by RaithHarth

It's not a matter of stealing the name, it's a matter of principal, if you are under lvl 50 and haven't played that toon for the past 10 days the name should be reset, this should also apply for even subscribers, once you hit lvl 50 however, all subscribers should be protected in the same right.

Dude.

That is less than a fortnight.

How on earth can possibly think that that is a good idea? Do you have any idea how many people that would piss off?

Whoa, whoa,whoa....TEN DAYS?

You're kidding right?

Really....that was a joke or a typo, right?

Dude, last month I had to leave and travel to my hometown for a funeral ( One of my oldest and best friends died suddenly. Man, I miss that guy....anyway....) I was gone for 2 weeks. By your logic all of my characters should have their names reset.

So please tell you were kidding about that.

Also you're going to have to elaborate on what principle it is a matter of.

Dude.

That is less than a fortnight.

How on earth can possibly think that that is a good idea? Do you have any idea how many people that would piss off?

I'll answer that....EVERYONE.

Edited by wilsonstone

Alright. So now that I understand your position.

Why?

Edit: By "Why", I mean: "Present your case with logic"

Edited by Khevar

Whoa, whoa,whoa....TEN DAYS?

You're kidding right?

Really....that was a joke or a typo, right?

Dude, last month I had to leave and travel to my hometown for a funeral ( One of my oldest and best friends died suddenly. Man, I miss that guy....anyway....) I was gone for 2 weeks. By your logic all of my characters should have their names reset.

So please tell you were kidding about that.

Also you're going to have to elaborate on what principle it is a matter of.

I'll answer that....EVERYONE.

It's just a suggestion, if you want to extend the length by 14 days or even by a month at the max, I think that would be exceptable.

Since someone pointed out that the name you covet is protected by virtue of being over level 30, even if not held by a subscriber, now you want any name under level 50 to be subject to being stolen? And you want any name under level 50 subject to being stolen even if that player subscribes?

You really want to set the rules so that you can steal that name you want, don't you?

What happens if that player logs in every day to send companions on missions but doesn't level? Are you going to say that any player that doesn't level within x amount of time should be subject having their name stolen?

Edited by Ratajack