what's the protocol for item drops in flashpoints

The way it works is this:

First, it checks for anyone who needed it. If more than one, then each gets a roll. Highest roll wins.

If no one hits Need, then it goes to greed and disassemble. Everyone rolls, and whoever gets the highest roll decides what happens, if they greeded they get the item, if they disassemble they get the materials.

If everyone passes, the item becomes open to pickup by anyone.

It goes like this:

1. If anyone "passes" they won't get it.

2. If you "Need" on an item, you compete against others "Needs" for a random chance to get it.

3. If you "Greed" on an item, you compete against other "Greeds" for a random chance to get it.

4. If anyone clicks "Need" then the others who clicked "Greed" will automatically lose and can't get it.

So if you're planning on selling it, giving to your companion, etc. the best choice is Greed. Because all the other players in your group could sell it, and have companions, too. So Greed gives a fair chance of anyone getting the toot.

If, however, the loot in question is for your class specifically, and it is better than what you've got on, you can get an immediately increase in your stats if you put it on. So then you Need it. If another player in your group is in the same boat, and he/she also Needs on it, it will randomly be given out among the Needs. But at least one person who could put that gear on right away and gain a tangible benefit will get it.

@OP

Welcome to MMO communities, where your fellow gamers suck the life out of you.

Need is the first set of rolls, if nobody needed it, then greed and dissasemble are thrown together.

Refering to your OP, you were right in your rolls. You needed when you needed something, you greeded when you were greedy, and you disassembled when you wanted the mats. If disassemble were not kosher, it would not be part of the roll system.

As far as the conduct of your group (kicking you for following etiquette) goes, that is subjective and is determined from whatever occured in the FP before that moment. I would not have kicked you unless there were other issues, and definitely not right after killing Malgus (or equivalent) and before the distribution of loot.

Keep needing on stuff your character needs, greeding for companions and greed, and disassembling when you want and your profession supports it.

Sheesh! Some people act like they are the masters of the MMO. We were all new at this at one time, so remember that when you get the attitude. That's the main reason it took me so long to come around to playing MMO's, because you get that group who thinks this game is life or death and if you make a mistake or ask a question you get slammed for it. IT'S A GAME PEOPLE!!!!! Remember that. Just try to be more respectful, especially to the new guys. Without new people joining the game, it really won't be MMORPG. It will just be a ORPG, and you will still be screaming at no one in particular in your mom's basement. So get a life, huh? Edited by Takin_A_Sith

Imagine you are a new level 50 marauder. You need better gear.

Imagine your token for the Sith warrior chestpiece drops. A major improvement.

You select NEED as you should. 2 others select Greed because it's not an upgrade to them.

The last member is a Imperial agent, and he selects NEED because he wants to sell it for the credits.

The Agent wins the roll and your gear still sucks.

How does that make you feel? Now consider it happens to you 10 times in a row? If you don't like the way it makes you feel, why would you do the same to others?

MMO's are not all about the individual.

I'd like to apologise to the OP and other "new to MMO'ers" who have come to this thread seeking clarity.

my apology is for those that are far too ungracious to appreciate that you came here to ask and have instead decided to give you a verbal kicking over and over.

personally I blame the parents.

I'm a Bounty Hunter tank. I need absolutely nothing for my main spec from HM FPs. However, I run HM FPs for the sole purpose of gearing up my Aim-using DPS companion. This kills two birds with one stone, as that set of Columi is also my DPS off-spec set.

If I take the time to run a HM FP, I have every right to roll Need on gear for my companion that uses my main stat. This is especially true since I've already completed my main-spec gear.

Main-spec > Off-spec > Companion > Vendor

If I've completed my main-spec, I don't need those pieces anymore, as now I Need my off-spec gear.

Having said all of that, I would never Need on gear that drops for an IA Operative without the permission of the group.

I'd like to apologise to the OP and other "new to MMO'ers" who have come to this thread seeking clarity.

my apology is for those that are far too ungracious to appreciate that you came here to ask and have instead decided to give you a verbal kicking over and over.

personally I blame the parents.

Thank You.

It's nice to see some out there understand that you learn right from wrong by making mistakes and asking questions. I understand the frustration of seeing an item that will improve your guy, just to have someone swoop in and get it when they don't need it. But taking your frustrations out on someone who is trying to learn is just plain wrong. If it ticks you off that much, go play a single player game for a while. I've heard they can be quite fun. ;)

Show some tolerance. Not everyone follows the rules. It's a way of life.

Edited by Takin_A_Sith

I'm a Bounty Hunter tank. I need absolutely nothing for my main spec from HM FPs. However, I run HM FPs for the sole purpose of gearing up my Aim-using DPS companion. This kills two birds with one stone, as that set of Columi is also my DPS off-spec set.

If I take the time to run a HM FP, I have every right to roll Need on gear for my companion that uses my main stat. This is especially true since I've already completed my main-spec gear.

Main-spec > Off-spec > Companion > Vendor

If I've completed my main-spec, I don't need those pieces anymore, as now I Need my off-spec gear.

Having said all of that, I would never Need on gear that drops for an IA Operative without the permission of the group.

If there is another BH in your group that needs gear do you do the same thing? Cause if you do you are extremely wrong and deserve to Be ignored by everyone on your server.

If there is another BH in your group that needs gear do you do the same thing? Cause if you do you are extremely wrong and deserve to Be ignored by everyone on your server.

I inspect every BH I encounter in a FP. If he/she has Columi for the slot in question, then I'd say he doesn't need it. I'll roll Need np. If it's an upgrade for him, then I typically let him have it.

I will say that the tone of your post is very judgemental. I really don't appreciate you deciding that some random, hypothetical person's time is more important than mine. Exactly how would that make you feel?

Usually at the beginning of the FP, if I'm there for my companion's gear, I'll let the group know. If they don't like it, they can leave. Based on your logic, I'd have to spend half of my time gearing up someone else. Fun.

I inspect every BH I encounter in a FP. If he/she has Columi for the slot in question, then I'd say he doesn't need it. I'll roll Need np. If it's an upgrade for him, then I typically let him have it.

I will say that the tone of your post is very judgemental. I really don't appreciate you deciding that some random, hypothetical person's time is more important than mine. Exactly how would that make you feel?

Usually at the beginning of the FP, if I'm there for my companion's gear, I'll let the group know. If they don't like it, they can leave. Based on your logic, I'd have to spend half of my time gearing up someone else. Fun.

From the way you were describing your actions it sounded as though it was all about you.

AND lol as far as the tone of my post being judgemental; welcome to the internet my friend.

...AND lol as far as the tone of my post being judgemental; welcome to the internet my friend.

Hold on a sec. You can behave based on: "Well the Internet is a faceless medium of communication, and there really won't be any repercussions for what I write to some other person, so it's okay for me to not be civil, gracious, and kind."

But when someone performs an action that is completely working as intended (e.g.; rolling Need on a virtual item in a video game on the Internet), you are up-in-arms about it?

I'm just assuming you're unaware of how contradictory your side of this conversation is.

this is the key thing to it all. without permission or asking the group ahead of time, 99% of groups will loot based on the assumption of need for class, greed for anything else