ASSASSIN or SORCERER???

iamawseome

I've been looking at the lvl 10 advance class specs. and cant figure out which class is bet for dps. It occurs to me that the sorcerer is a ranged dps with some melee attacks while the assassin is a melee dps with a few ranged attacks. I am trying to find out which class does the most damage with it's strongest attacks. I couldn't find a reliable source for this information. Can you guys help?

I don't know about assassins much myself, apart that they can also be good tanks;

I love my dps sorcerer however, it has a ton of versatility in addition to ranged dps.

ps. I would say dpswise its still more about gear than anything else.

Edited by Karkais

I've been looking at the lvl 10 advance class specs. and cant figure out which class is bet for dps. It occurs to me that the sorcerer is a ranged dps with some melee attacks while the assassin is a melee dps with a few ranged attacks. I am trying to find out which class does the most damage with it's strongest attacks. I couldn't find a reliable source for this information. Can you guys help?

Sorc is not a ranged with some melee attack.

Its a ranged with a stat-stick that we call a lightsaber, and if I want to have a laugh, I'll hit someone with it with the basic melee attack I got at level 1 that is thrash. But even if something is on me, I'm better off using a force attack even blank-point.

Assassin keeps the versatility between melee and force, with a tree very force oriented (Madness, the common tree) and one more melee oriented (the more stealth based tree, deception). Tank-sin mostly use force as well, using thrash only to proc energized shock (and get it off cd while they are at it).

It will tough mostly play inside 10m, and even tough madness extend your efficiency to 30m (which I expect will be patched like they did to pyro PT someday) you are still better off inside 10m, and even at melee range (<4m)

Sorc has the deepest ressource pool in the game, but with the smallest % of regen on it compared to total ressource. Mechanics are mostly to save force, lightning specs has it easy, hybrid lightning/madness as well (its what I use its great fun) but madness is an highway to 0 force if you do not sacrify some health to keep your force up. Luckily its covered by the tree self heal, but if under pressure its rather hard to do.

Now something you must understand, sorc have great AoE, no questions asked, but their single-target dps is slightly lower. Its not game breaking, but its going to be lower. You'll be loved in AoE phase, but I,ve noticed with similar gear around a 100 dps delta between my marauder and my sorc.

Also, sorc is your typical glass cannon. End game PvP can be a pain, since a geared marauder that comes at you has a very good chance at melting your face unless you got your stuns up, and his cd down (or he fails at his class) Hybrid jug, with their ******** of damage reduction are nearly impossible to fend off, and your overall softness does not help you in a 1vs1 dps race.

Assassin, however will stand in melee range in raid, and some fight where you will have to break contact to avoid being killed depending on how geared your healers are, and how geared the rest of the party is (or who is in it).

Lately, patches upgrade its survivability rather well tough.

I can tell you I've got both, and I like both. Leveled my sorc as heal till 47ish, respecced dps and loved it. Heals are more tricky due to lack of "emergency healing" per say, but the AoE is once again awesome, with good big heals.

Sin tank, are awesome at holding threat, and have very good survivability through self-heals, but it makes them a bit more spikey to heal in a way, since they also have the less armor rating of all the tanks (around 40% DR, jug at 50ish, and PT 53-54ish if I'm not mistaken) and should something hit with tons of small hits, their shield boost gets eaten rather fast.

That said, my main's a sin tank and I love playing it.

Hope that information helped, trying to show you both pros and cons of each.

I find it hard to believe that there are not enough healers on Imp side. Sith Red Cross is most funny way to play. Ok, in solo missions killing things can take some time, but then you will be able to kill anything(!) without breaking sweet. Just need a little time, but save yourself all those "oh, ****" moments when you realize, that there is yet another guy nearby and no one to boost up you 100 HP into something that will make you survive.

And team content? First - if you play it good you should be able to solo most of it. Second - DPSer may kill faster, but then if he is dead he won't kill anything. He needs you to survive. Of course he will get the credit with "oh, how fast you killed that boss, you are great" and healer will be lucky if he get's "nice heals" (usually he wont) but healer will know that team succeeded because he was there to keep them alive. It's friggin satisfying.

PvP - won't talk about it. TOR PvP suck, I do not play it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm playing a Sith Inquisitor and am considering a Lightning / Madness hybrid Sorcerer or a Darkness / Madness assassin and was wondering which tends to be more useful for PvE/PvP? I often play tanks but willing to go Sorcerer.

Thanks

Edited by Talon_Starfire
Rephrase