Addons/Additions we NEED

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One question I have, and I'm very serious, is: why the hell does anybody NEED dps meters? Or macros? Or anything else like that?

I have 10 years of MMO experience and I've played a bunch of them. EVE Online, Lord of the Rings Online, Darkfall, World of Warcraft amongst a multitude... And not ONCE have I used any add-ons whatsoever. The only tool I ever used was "Raid Target Assist" so I could easily target a group member's target. But that's it. I didn't need a tool telling me which one of my teammates my target was attacking, I just *gasp* looked at who it was attacking. I never needed a threat meter either. If the mob was attacking me, I was doing a good job tanking, if it wasn't, I wasn't. Same goes for DPS. I mean after spending 65 levels playing my burg in lotro, at some. Point I just KNOW how to maximize my DPS output. Sure, might be useful for perfecting it, but I would hardly call it an absolute necessity.

Would combat logs be fun? Yes, they could be useful. I don't like dps meters though. More customizable U is a win for everybody of course.

But none of your suggestions are absolute needs like you seem to put it. If I can play without those tools, you can too.

1. Dps meters - There needs to be a way to track dps. I'm not a math genius, so I can't keep track of the numbers as they fly by the screen and clock them into a spreadsheet for a 5 minutes span to see what my optimal rotation is. You can't figure out your full potential if you can't see your results.

2. Action bars - I have 2 in the middle, the 2 at the side are useless, why can't I just drag them to the center?! I use keybinds, but I've gotten so used to be able to actually see my spells without having to strain my neck to look over at them, that it's ubearable.

3. "Doodads" - This game is heavily based on the story/RP factor, yet...we can't sit in chairs? I have no drinking animation? There are no chat bubbles?

4.Global cooldowns - The GCD of all spells really needs to be lowered a little. If I'm not mistaken it's at a full second right now. It makes the combat choppy, when it wouldn't be otherwise. Lower it to .5 or even .75. Also, on a sidenote, my personal experience with spell that do not share GCD (interrupts/cooldowns spells), is that they just simply do not go off the first...second...or even third time I click them. I have to click like a lunatic to get it to even go off. I would have all these keybound btw, but my mouse is also apparently incompatable with the game.

Edit: 5. Target of target. There is far too much going on in any given group encounter that I can't possibly keep track of whether a mob is facing me or not, let alone if he is attacking me. I don't understand why this wasn't put in...I just don't.

TL;DR: I love the game, best pre-end game mmo experience I've ever had. However, if it's going to last, it is my PERSONAL opinion that it needs the above 5 changes.

1. Not needed, a good player will work out his "optimal rotation" regardless of dps meters being in or not.

2. Not needed, but would be nice to have moveable UI elements.

3. Not needed, would be nice to have but need... really?

4. Different game you need to give it time to become used to the feel of it, besides a couple of bugs I haven't felt clucnky playing yet

5. Actually agree with you on this ToT is very handy to have and I was surprised it wasn't in there.

Damage meters. I found them very useful in a guild raiding enviroment, both to check on who was optimizing dps and who was not, also to check other information. Eg, someone complaining about not being healed enough, check their most recent death and see that they took damage from being in 'fire/other avoidable thing' and were healed, just the damage was too great. Looking at the numbers for damage meant nothing, looking at spells used compared to others of their class allowed comparisons, after taking into account gear level.

Addons like gear score I REALLY REALLY hope never come into the game, they penalise new players or those who have taken a break.

UI, i am currently healing, and sick to death of the UI, the inability to customise makes it hard to see what is happening around me, whilst keeping an eye on everyones health. There is no way i will heal any end game content that requires vision unless i can at the very minimum adjust positions for the bars.

Target's target. Well, being a sage i have a couple of interupts, of course if i got the tank targeted for healing i can't see the mob casting something it would be useful to interupt.

I'm sorry, but I've never met a good player in any mmo that didn't use damage meters. Good players will learn a good rotation, but you will never be 100% sure on min/max,

For example, I play a sith assassin tank. I'm not sure if using the force to use my Shock proc is actually worth it or not at higher levels.

Damage meters are needed if an mmo ever wants to be taken seriously in terms of PvE content. If you disagree, I'd like to know what's going through your head. Also, if you'd be so kind as to share your PvE experience from other mmos as well, that'd be most helpful and would shed some light on how you develop your opinion.

Edit: I THOUGHT I MADE THIS CLEAR. I APOLOGIZE THAT THE TITLE IS MISLEADING BUT I AM NOT SAYING WE NEED ADDONS. THIS IS NOT AN ADDON THREAD. I DON'T GIVE TWO ***** ABOUT DBM AND GEARSCORE.

Edited by Zorke

DPS meters also have the chance of someone using them the wrong way. If the DPS meter is for you only and no one else then okay but if it has the ability for someone else to use them then no. I've known people that use that to be rude and mean to people because they didn't "measure" up to their standards and that is wrong.

Very well put!

Aslong people can decide if they want to be "measured-tracked" then go ahead and dl 1000 addons that play the game for you.

But as soon an addon user can insult someone else, because he has a number which he thinks is giving him the right to be rude --> NO!

NO WE DON'T

What you need is to actually develop more skill.

Couldnt agree more, players have become so lazy in recent years. Constantly people cry how easy something is and that difficulty needs to be tweaked, yet when playing their characters is a challenge all they do is QQ for mods to make it easy.

1. Dps meters - There needs to be a way to track dps. I'm not a math genius, so I can't keep track of the numbers as they fly by the screen and clock them into a spreadsheet for a 5 minutes span to see what my optimal rotation is. You can't figure out your full potential if you can't see your results.

2. Action bars - I have 2 in the middle, the 2 at the side are useless, why can't I just drag them to the center?! I use keybinds, but I've gotten so used to be able to actually see my spells without having to strain my neck to look over at them, that it's ubearable.

3. "Doodads" - This game is heavily based on the story/RP factor, yet...we can't sit in chairs? I have no drinking animation? There are no chat bubbles?

4.Global cooldowns - The GCD of all spells really needs to be lowered a little. If I'm not mistaken it's at a full second right now. It makes the combat choppy, when it wouldn't be otherwise. Lower it to .5 or even .75. Also, on a sidenote, my personal experience with spell that do not share GCD (interrupts/cooldowns spells), is that they just simply do not go off the first...second...or even third time I click them. I have to click like a lunatic to get it to even go off. I would have all these keybound btw, but my mouse is also apparently incompatable with the game.

Edit: 5. Target of target. There is far too much going on in any given group encounter that I can't possibly keep track of whether a mob is facing me or not, let alone if he is attacking me. I don't understand why this wasn't put in...I just don't.

TL;DR: I love the game, best pre-end game mmo experience I've ever had. However, if it's going to last, it is my PERSONAL opinion that it needs the above 5 changes.

i agree 100% there are some other issues as well,like pvp should be in brackets of some kind FOR SURE. but BIOWARE DO ALL THIS,and its not even huge changes either,so just listen to this and put it in your game FOR SURE.

I have to say the only things I found lacking are a third bottom row, or 4th, if I choose to enable it -- and most importantly ToT.. It would be nice to have movable frames, also.

Not seeing ToT or even ToToT in this game was very surprising to me. As a healer, I miss it as a source of information. As dps, it helps when things are visually hectic to not split dps and assist the tank properly. If that was enabled, dps meters would be even less relevant. Split dps, even if it's high dps , is still poor game play. Those that rely on topping meters only and not always using their abilities correctly and to the fullest potential usually will fail anyway.

Not being able to see buffs and debuffs accurately is a problem also. The bottom line is the UI is not healer friendly and often uncomfortable with inaccurate health bar info.

Edited by Khoko

If you are wanting dps meters so bad, how about they just set up a training station some where in the universe where you could go and try out your rotations on dummies like in WOW and see how to maximize your dps capabilities. But the side part of that is that the DPS meter would not work outside of that center so you could not compare or use it to hender people from being able to join for flashpoints or multi-player instances.

The problem with not having dps meters (or even SOME way to measure your own damage) is that, for those who say they do great damage, how do you -know- you are doing great damage? You could be getting carried by the guy next to you and not even realize it! How do you know the guy next to you isn't just spamming auto-attack other than by observing nonstop? How do you know the healer next to you is healing the tank and not picking his nose (other than the tank dying)? How do you know he's not spamming too many inefficient heals? How do you know if the abilities you are using are optimal for taking things down?

Endgame, these are all important. I could care less about levelling up, since questing and low-level flashpoints are pretty easy for now, but at level cap when the only way to improve is by gear and l2p, the l2p part needs more than blind faith that the guy next to you knows what he's doing.

That being said, all I kinda want while levelling is a target of target display. And for the bank to autostack items. And a functional AH UI.

Edited by JeyKama

This may be a tad off topic, but can I just say that I find a lot of you entirely inconsiderate and rude in your responses? This is a discussion, not an argument.

Trading ideas is a good way for players to have fun, just like playing the game itself.

Please be at least civil. Plus calling each other names, etc. is not conducive to the forum environment nor is it useful.

Carry on. :)

1. Adding a Recount or Skada style meter would probably be beneficial. Even casual players would benefit from finding ways to "become a hero". Maximizing heals, damage, threat generation, or being able to help someone by seeing their numbers a bit lower would benefit a lot of people. In any content, there is always a minimum amount of performance required to clear. I have already seen a lvl 20 in BT killing slower than a lvl 15. Problem?

2. Biggest thing I hate about the action bars is I almost feel like we could use another, but also that the map/quest log often covers part of the right action bar. This can be rather lethal in those last minute situations. ZOMG> My blaster jammed type thing.

3. More animations might be nice, but you can sit...just not on all chairs.

4. I haven't had a problem with the GCD yet, but that may just be me.

5. Thanks for this thread. Lotta cool imput here.

DPS meters also have the chance of someone using them the wrong way. If the DPS meter is for you only and no one else then okay but if it has the ability for someone else to use them then no. I've known people that use that to be rude and mean to people because they didn't "measure" up to their standards and that is wrong.

/agree with this person, too many people using dps meters to criticise and tell players "you suck", wow was terrible with that, people just looking to have fun playing a game should not have to choose between being berated by strangers or quiting.

Just my opinion.

Couldnt agree more, players have become so lazy in recent years. Constantly people cry how easy something is and that difficulty needs to be tweaked, yet when playing their characters is a challenge all they do is QQ for mods to make it easy.

and lets not even get started on the worst of the worst Gearscore.

/agree with this person, too many people using dps meters to criticise and tell players "you suck", wow was terrible with that, people just looking to have fun playing a game should not have to choose between being berated by strangers or quiting.

Just my opinion.

How about you not group with jerks? PROBLEM SOLVED!

lol@wowplayers

This game only NEEDS two things really:

#1: Less people with an active WoW subscription.

#2 Less people from WoW trying to get Bioware to implement features to make it feel like WoW.

Edited by Zierk

If you are wanting dps meters so bad, how about they just set up a training station some where in the universe where you could go and try out your rotations on dummies like in WOW and see how to maximize your dps capabilities. But the side part of that is that the DPS meter would not work outside of that center so you could not compare or use it to hender people from being able to join for flashpoints or multi-player instances.

I think this is a great option for the ones that want DPS meters. This would give people a controlled area to test out and work on their rotations. They could even add temporary free respecs while you are in this area to test out different builds. But when you leave the area you default back to your original build.

DPS meters are not needed. Good players and good guilds are going to down content without them. They are nothing more than a crutch for people to lean on or e-peen tools.

What ever happened to the days of making a group, killing bosses and being happy? I would love to see the people who have never played anything but WoW play a MMO from the late 90s/pre-WoW 2000s.... I'll even include MUDS to that as well.

I don't need to have people telling me that I'm only doing 100dps while they are doing 110dps.

I don't need to have a dps meter to tell me how to play the game. I play the game I want and I don't care if I do 10-30 less dps than someone else. Also most of my builds are defensive so I can take a hell of a beating before I go down.

You can have 1000dps, but those won't help you if you die in 1-2 hits