The nerf problem.

bobmcbo

Not sure where to put this, so it's going here.

The problem with nerfs in this game is that it doesn't correctly balance the class. All they do is take away a strength that is well, too much of a strength.

Usually, this results in the class being significantly weaker because they depended on that strength- concealment operatives and the smuggler equivalent are a good example of this.

What needs to be done is that when the overpowered aspect is nerfed, a weaker aspect must also be buffed- it makes much more sense to balance everything by lowering strong points and raising weak points than just lowering everything until it's all equally smashed into the ground.

I shouldn't have to say this, but apparently BW never tried this- if a spec is dependent on an overpowered aspect such as stunlocking (just an example)- fill in the gap left by removing it with something like increased damage with other abilities, or increased survivability.

They should make all classes just as strong as Marauders/PTs/Snipers

marauders, powertechs, and snipers are only that good because everything else got nerfed down. Next, they'll get nerfed down, creating the next "overpowered" group. And the cycle will continue until force-users are using sticks and non force-users will have rubber bands.

Edited by bobmcbo

Ah, the nerf cycle. Welcome to an EA/Bioware game. Or just about any game where "balance" is an issue. It's obviously so much quicker and easier just to hit things with the nerf bat than it is to bring everything else up to level.

But, we muddle on through anyhoo. Fighting through the bad things just proves how you good of a player you are.

marauders, powertechs, and snipers are only that good because everything else got nerfed down. Next, they'll get nerfed down, creating the next "overpowered" group. And the cycle will continue until force-users are using sticks and non force-users will have rubber bands.

Aint this the truth! At launch, everyone laughed at sentinels/marauders because they where under powered compared to other classes. BW has since nerfed the other over powerdd classes and now people say we are over powered. Isn't this rich.

Aint this the truth! At launch, everyone laughed at sentinels/marauders because they where under powered compared to other classes. BW has since nerfed the other over powerdd classes and now people say we are over powered. Isn't this rich.

People only thought that because no one knew how to play them. Good sents and maras have been destroying people since day 1, melee were just considered terrible because people hadn't learned how to counter ranged yet.

Who's next in the cycle? Will concealment operatives be viable again, or will there be something that was never considered OP yet?

I'd guess either Mercenaries or Juggernauts will be the next big thing. But that's a long ways off, if ever. The state of the game as it is, you won't be seeing a lot of focus from what's left of the dev team working towards tweaking class balance. They have their hands full slow-releasing content that's been ready for months and coming up with more events like the Grand Acquisition Race.

Not that I want to be actively drawn into this debate, but, Isn't 'balance' like rock-paper-scissors? and not rock=paper=scissors? wouldn't that always give overpowered classes in comparison to the class that they are soposted to thump?

I guess that I just can't wrap my head around this supposed 'balance' that everyone seeks..:confused:.... maybe one of you could perhaps enlighten me as to what the ultimate goal is?

I'm just gona throw my thoughts here...Now, I don't know why people complain so much. The only class that should be complaining I guess, are mercenaries, as while they can be played good and 'ok', people don't know this and no one wants to play with them (they're not 'viable' it seems). All classes have their 'viable' (read: Overpowered, Imbalanced, whatever) specs. I'm just gona use the Imperial counterparts:

Juggernaut:

!!!Tank (with unstoppable): Can't really rwz without bringing one of these!!!

!!!Rage: Can even do DPS, all roll jugg!!!

Veng.: Only need the unstoppable, nothing else interesting here.

Marauder:

!!!Carnage: Again, can't really rwz without bringing one of these!!!

Anni/rage: with carnage, not really room for more maras, but still good specs

PT:

!!!Pyro: Good DPS and can even bring two of these beasts.!!!

Tank: Worst PvP tank, and no reason to bring it.

AP: Nice spec, but again, can't compete with Pyro.

Sorc:

!!!Healer: AoE heal needed, again something to bring!!!

DPS: Can substitute for ranged DPS, but with the combination on rage/pyro/sniper, not really needed

Assassin:

!!!Tanksin: Again, solo defender lé alfa. Can't really rwz without this either!!!

DPS: Not much to say, 'nerfed'.

Operative:

!!!Healer: Again, with the status of merc heal, must have along with a sorc!!!

DPS: Not much to say, 'nerfed'.

Sniper:

All good ranged DPS, with marksman pulling the longest straw with the ability to melt other snipers

Now, that sais it. You might not be 'viable' in all your specs, but every class in the game (other than merc it seems) are 'needed'. I think there's a lot more 'nerf this' threads than there are mercenaries now ain't there?

EDIT: And to continue this WoT, do you want these 'viable' specs nerfed so it's all **** you have to play, or want those other specs BUFFED so the game is more interesting when you don't have to run the one single spec only? I vote BUFF.

Edited by SneiK

CLASS A = OP

CLASS B = WEAK

Nurf CLASS A

Buff CLASS B

CLASS A= WEAK

CLASS B = OP

WHY NOT JUST BUFF CLASS B AND SEE IF BALANCE HELPS. You would not have QQ about the freaking nurf

Edited by Kegparty

CLASS A = OP

CLASS B = WEAK

Nurf CLASS A

Buff CLASS B

CLASS A= WEAK

CLASS B = OP

WHY NOT JUST BUFF CLASS B AND SEE IF BALANCE HELPS. You would not have QQ about the freaking nurf

A better way I see of describing what I see (remember this isn't purely about operatives, they're just a great example)-

-Operatives had too powerful of a damage/stunlock combo.

-The answer to this was obviously lower damage or lower the stunlock duration- BW did both.

-Because the stunlock doesn't last long enough for a kill (operatives die very quickly without it) and they don't do enough damage to make up for the lost safe-time, operatives now have a very limited survivability.

-To counteract the accidental over-nerf, they need to either deal more damage, or (preferably) be able to take a hit. Bringing back the original stunlock isn't an option because, well, stunlocking just drains the fun out of pvp.