Consolidate all planetary commendations into "Republic" and "Empire" commendations.

Nerfington

Something which kind of blows ever since MMOs moved to token currency systems is when a currency becomes obsolete to a player, and so becomes useless screen filler with remaining points which will never get spent.

When my agent finished Hutta, I only had 6 commendations somehow, making them add up to nothing useful in the end. Trying to do just part of a planet for the story mission so that you don't have to repeat it for the n'th time also ends up with the 'few but not enough' commendations scenario. And, as you gain crafting characters, the purchasing of tiered mods/enhancements/etc also becomes a bit of a confusing mess, trying to balance out what is the best use of your resources.

This could be simplified and improved a great deal by just offering "Republic" and "Empire" (or Imperial) Commendations. You could reduce the vendor stores to about 5 different offerings (e.g. level 1-10 gear, 11-20, 21-30, etc), and just have higher level gear cost more (e.g. the level 11-20 vendor might offer gear for level 23s and level 27s, where the 27 stuff costs more, resulting in a final cost of something like 8 tokens for gear at level 10, and 30 tokens at level 50). You could even roll dailies onto this universal commendation currency, so that commendations gained right through the game have value even at the end.

The only real problem is that you'd have to adjust to either having tokens drop more frequently at higher levels, or have them drop in stacks (e.g. 5 tokens from a level 50 drop). Which I would gladly take if it solved all the previously mentioned problems, and gave tokens such a better overall use.

Edited by Nerfington

6 commendations = 3 mods.

You can:

Buy the mods and then sell on the GTN.. this makes oyu money.

Buy the mods and put them in a companions equipment.

Buy the mods and send to an alt.

Buy the mods and share in your guilds vault for other players

etc....

Not useless at all.

actually the ontly comms that are useless are Tython and Korriban ones only thing u can buy are the chest pieces which tbh i got and still had comms left

• 4 weeks later...
actually the ontly comms that are useless are Tython and Korriban ones only thing u can buy are the chest pieces which tbh i got and still had comms left

Ord Mantell and Hutta Specialty Good Vendors don't sell mods either.

As for the thread topic, I agree. If you have too many/not enough comms, they're wasted.

In my opinion there is a reason for it being done the way it is.

You don't always collect enough commendations for all the things you want - throw in a couple of barrels/hilts and some armour pieces.

I shouldn't really be able to use commendations gained really early on for items from the last planet. SO you have some wasted commendations - I've currently got around 250 Belsavis ones from all the dailies I ran.

I can turn those into items to sell on the GTN or parts for alt's - so not really wasted.