Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

I don't know what bugging Allison can do, but by all means CC Joveth as well. He's not a bad guy. A point to make might be that we don't have any info on SGRs originating from anyone still with BioWare Austin, as Daniel Erickson has announced his departure from the studio. Mr. Reid left some time ago.

It'll just be this message again, most likely though of course that has yet to be answered.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say that, just that Elara is a by-the-book kind of girl, and sleeping with her commanding officer might be breaking regulations/rules, no matter the gender. that, and I personally can't see her in a romance at all.

This is what you said:

Elara Dorne for example, makes no sense for a woman in the military known for never breaking rules and regulations should even be in a romance with her male commanding officer (Trooper). Change the boss to a female, it makes even less sense.

Clearly, you're saying that Elara sleeping with a female officer is more nonsensical than Elara sleeping with a male officer. Do you consider the the former a more serious infraction and that's why "makes lense sense" ? Or what ? Why the difference ?

This is what you said:

Clearly, you're saying that Elara sleeping with a female officer is more nonsensical than Elara sleeping with a male officer. Do you consider the the former a more serious infraction and that's why "makes lense sense" ? Or what ? Why the difference ?

Just because I said it makes less sense does not mean it is an infraction. Her character is that of a stuffy imperial-born by-the-book girl.

There are forms that can be signed to allow romantic relations but in my mind her character makes it hard for me to imagine her with her superior officer, male or female, with the female trooper making less sense because Elara would have more reservations about it.

Edited by stormdrakelord

...with the female trooper making less sense because Elara would have more reservations about it.

I don't have a Trooper, so I can't see for myself, but does Elara act significantly differently towards female Troopers than she does towards male Troopers (apart from Bioware's obvious "All companions are straight" angle)?

Mr. Gonzalez did say that the statement from the Guild Summit still stands, but like you I find that hard to believe. I realise that Bioware have made all these promises about content post-F2P but I still think they're going to drop story content entirely and just churn out crap they can shove in the cash shop. It's a real pity as I enjoy the class stories and would have enjoyed possible romance options, but I have two strapping men in Guild Wars 2 I can play with.

Sudden urge to pester Ms. Berryman again. Should I perhaps CC Mr. Gonzalez?

Well Daniel Ericson is gone, and Alex Freed (writer of the Agent storyline, which some say is the best of them all) is gone as well.

Writers leaving the ship (just reading DE's new job hunting twitter says loads) just seems to say story is going to take a very large vacation while they work on new ways to make sell-able gamble box content.

They apparently have a good deal already written, and not all of the writers are moving on.

That said, it is disheartening that neither of the sources for official statements on the status of same-gender romantic content are with the studio any longer. It would be nice to hear something from someone who is still there & involved.

There are forms that can be signed to allow romantic relations but in my mind her character makes it hard for me to imagine her with her superior officer, male or female, with the female trooper making less sense because Elara would have more reservations about it.

From what I've seen after leveling 2 Imp toons, they care far more about whether or not someone is an alien verus a same gender relationship. So I don't think that gender would play a factor for her. Now, if say, my Chiss was a Trooper, then I think there would be more issues. Homophobia doesn't exist in SW, but xenophobia does.

Edited by natashina

They apparently have a good deal already written, and not all of the writers are moving on.

That said, it is disheartening that neither of the sources for official statements on the status of same-gender romantic content are with the studio any longer. It would be nice to hear something from someone who is still there & involved.

Agreed. It was pretty sad to wake up and see Daniel Erickson had left BW. From the looks of it, we don't have anyone working for BW that talked at the Guild Summit(I could be wrong.) Hall Hood would be one of the few we could talk to about that. I'm not sure if the suits or whomever understand what kind of blow to the morale all these people leaving BW have caused. Here's to hoping we can get some sort of info from the writers that are left. My FAQ is now full of quotes from people that have left the company. :( It doesn't invalidate previous information, but hopefully we can get some further clarification in time.

Edited by natashina

I don't think so. if new companions are released, some of which are gay only, some of which are straight it will be new content for everyone and extend the number of available options for everyone; not just because of the romance options, but also for the companions themselves. If additionally a few selected existing characters would be made available, every single player character would have effectively more options. If in turn same gender romance options are released it will be new content (if on a smaller scope) for people who are interested in same gender romances only, thus, I believe the exact opposite of what you say is true.

Some people may be attached to one particular character and some of them should be made available, but that would mean that virtually all would have to be available. I don't see the point of this thread as suggesting any particular character, but giving the options at all in the first place. There is no reason why people would like new characters less than existing ones, and the logical consequence of making every single one option work both ways seems most absurd to me.

Therefore, I think you're wrong. New characters would be a lot better than bluntly adding same gender romance options to all existing characters.

Thanks for sharing your view(no sarcasm, not my style.) :D I just don't have anything else I can add to my point of view atm. Haven't even had coffee yet.

I can see where you are coming from, though I don't agree. Hopefully in time one of us may be proven correct, as long as we can get some info dang it! :rolleyes:

Edited by natashina

Agreed. It was pretty sad to wake up and see Daniel Erickson had left BW. From the looks of it, we don't have anyone working for BW that talked at the Guild Summit(I could be wrong.) Hall Hood would be one of the few we could talk to about that. I'm not sure if the suits or whomever understand what kind of blow to the morale all these people leaving BW have caused. Here's to hoping we can get some sort of info from the writers that are left. My FAQ is now full of quotes from people that have left the company. :( It doesn't invalidate previous information, but hopefully we can get some further clarification in time.
That's the thing though. Are they going to stand by what people who have left the company stated as future plans?

See any other company and I wouldn't be as suspicious of everything, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. But EA is the puppet-master here, and EA has a history of doing horrible things to companies they aquire and the games those companies make.

I really hate doom and gloom, I just can't help it after all this time. This utter silence stuff is maddening and just gets so old.

That's the thing though. Are they going to stand by what people who have left the company stated as future plans?

I think so. I'll stand by those statements from the Guild Summit until they are disproven. I really really hope they aren't.

See any other company and I wouldn't be as suspicious of everything, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. But EA is the puppet-master here, and EA has a history of doing horrible things to companies they aquire and the games those companies make.

I really hate doom and gloom, I just can't help it after all this time. This utter silence stuff is maddening and just gets so old.

Yeah, I've done digging into EA's history with titles and it isn't pretty. While it looks awful, perhaps things are different this time. I know what that sounds like, but I don't want to be depressed and give up on this. This game rocks in all other departments imho.

What gets to me about this whole thing is the silence. I know they want to keep their story under wraps to prevent spoilers, but this is getting out of hand. After 6 months of silence, and then in the wake of people leaving BioWare as well as the deleted Tweet(which I made sure I copied and pasted from the feed that night,) it seems like they want us to go away quietly. Plus, getting the info from the PvP developer, then being told that the info was correct via Hall Hood on Twitter, then having that Tweet deleted that gave us that scrap of info, has been really hard for me to swallow sometimes.

Edit: I read that last paragraph over and it really sounds like a complete and total cluster on EA/BW's part. This whole thing really is getting ridiculous.

Edited by natashina

Meh, I'm getting maudlin. Time to get some coffee and fire up my IA. Thanks for recommending I play one guys. You were right about the story being great thus far. Vector probably has some of the weirdest speech patterns outside of the Gree("the star song freezes, we are wary") but he seems like a nice guy. I'm glad I've got him for my LS toon. After a point, my answers to Kailyo felt like lip service just to keep her happy. I wouldn't want to be on her bad side. Now, with Vector, I can give all the answers that actually go with my LS alignment. Kailyo is a great companion to have a "bro-mance" with, but she's a little too chaotic for me(just for my taste, not speaking for anyone else) to consider for SGRs, at least as a LS toon. Edited by natashina

Fired off an email to Joveth regarding our concerns for the two official statements we have, now that both people who provided them have left the studio. I hope that gives him the traction he needs to get a new statement approved. Knock on wood.

Fired off an email to Joveth regarding our concerns for the two official statements we have, now that both people who provided them have left the studio. I hope that gives him the traction he needs to get a new statement approved. Knock on wood.

If this fails i believe we can assume that SGR's have been cancelled.

I'd not go that far, when he has been at pains to post here and has at least remarked on Daniel Erickson's comments (see my post of an email from him, directly above the BioWare staff post from him). But it is pretty evident that he's not entirely free to comment on this. I was trying to give him something to leverage for permission, which may or may not work.

I'm growing more and more expectant of a "development of this feature is on hiatus until further notice" fob off statement. I'd still like to be wrong, though.

I am weirdly encouraged still by the non-confirmation confirmation regarding Makeb. That, and that we've been told by both Allison and Joveth that they have no new information to share, rather than that they have nothing they can tell us at all. Faint hope, perhaps, but there it is.

I don't have a Trooper, so I can't see for myself, but does Elara act significantly differently towards female Troopers than she does towards male Troopers (apart from Bioware's obvious "All companions are straight" angle)?

I only have a female trooper, so I can't really compare. Though I can tell you that she seems to have a huge crush on my girl ;)

Well, if SGRs are still scheduled and nothing changed, that means the reasons as to why they don't say anything are still in place too. No much reason to read this new communication failure differently

Pretty much the Same I would Assume, considering most Dialogue would be the same.

What I was wondering: Are the player species options all at least once presented as romance options through the entire game, regardless of whether male or female? I know there is a female twi'lek with the Sith Warrior, even though I am not playing one nor have any intention to. But I can't recall a Chiss, Miraluka, Miralan. I think there is a Zabrak somewhere but can't remember exactly where...

I know less then half the characters, though, I have played only three classes to a high level yet.

I like diversity, but I have kinda set my mind in this regard. All my characters are either Chiss or Twi'lek... When I was logging into my female twi'lek consular yesterday and distributed some companion gifts rusting in my inventory I got into the dialogue with Ireso initiating the romance. That was odd. He's a nice guy, and my consular certainly likes it when people don't forget that she's a woman as much as a Jedi Master. But she's not looking for an eternal love with that boy scout character, regardless of how much she likes him. If he'd been twi'lek she would have set yes. If he'd been looking for a bit sex every now and then I would have said yes. But certainly not a serious, ongoing relationship. So she first encouraged him, while avoiding flirt options, I actually clicked the "I am still a woman" option... and then bailed out hiding behind her duty. That felt dishonest.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

Akaavi's the Zabrak option, for Smugglers. There's Vette and Kaliyo as well, and Aric will count when Cathar open up.

I guess Mako counts as Cyborg, which leaves Sith, Chiss, Mirialan and Miraluka - Sith's the only one of those you even get as a companion at all.

Edited by Palar

Akaavi's the Zabrak option, for Smugglers. There's Vette and Kaliyo as well, and Aric will count when Cathar open up.

I guess Mako counts as Cyborg, which leaves Sith, Chiss, Mirialan and Miraluka - Sith's the only one of those you even get as a companion at all.

Ah, cyborg still counts as human as far as I am concerned.