Rule of Two confusion in SWTOR

TheKnighted

The idea of the rule of two was more or less created by Revan. Darth Bane learns about the rule of two from a holocron created by Revan and then feels the Brotherhood of Darkness (the sith organization that is created after the fall of the current empire) is too weak and must be destroyed thus leading to Bane tricking Kaas into using the thought bomb that destroys that particular organization on Ruusan leaving Bane as the last Sith Lord as which point he takes on an apprentice implementing the rule of two. *finally takes a breath* this all of course happens after the swtor timeline. Hope this helps. There's actually a serious of books that explains it better, all about Darth Bane.

Reven came up with the rule of two after he left the Sith Empire, it was never conceived of during his time with the Emperor.

It would be logical to think that after he saw all of the backstabbing and such on Drummond Kas that he came up with and implemented the rule of two.

But that knowledge died when he was captured and redeemed and we saw the group of three and the brotherhood of darkness and a bunch of other newly crowned Darth's gathering followers around them.

Only once Bane found and embraced Reven's holocron did the rule of two get implemented and you could argue that it had the best results.

The Bane trilogy is a great trilogy to read. Among my favorite books.

Anyone else notice an inconsistantcy between the Rule of Two and in Ep. 1? At the end during Qui-Gon's death ceremony, Mace Windu tells Yoda that the mysterious warrior was a Sith Lord. Yoda then replies "Always two there are. No more. No Less". Then they ponder as to whether it was the master or apprentice that was destroyed.

Bane's revolutionary idea was kept secret from the Jedi and the Jedi thought the Sith were extinct. Up to this point, the only Sith the Jedi knew of were the large-scale legions of Sith as in this game. Inconsistency? Did Yoda suddenly come to this realization? Thoughts?

Rule of Two was created by Darth Bane,not Revan.

Revan only said that 1 master must have 1 real aprentice.Bane implemented this to the whole sith order.

Kind of, he also stated that the power of the dark side should be focused on as few force users as possible, so it wasn't much of a leap for Bane to his Banite philosophy

Anyone else notice an inconsistantcy between the Rule of Two and in Ep. 1? At the end during Qui-Gon's death ceremony, Mace Windu tells Yoda that the mysterious warrior was a Sith Lord. Yoda then replies "Always two there are. No more. No Less". Then they ponder as to whether it was the master or apprentice that was destroyed.

Bane's revolutionary idea was kept secret from the Jedi and the Jedi thought the Sith were extinct. Up to this point, the only Sith the Jedi knew of were the large-scale legions of Sith as in this game. Inconsistency? Did Yoda suddenly come to this realization? Thoughts?

I know its EU, but even in the revenge of the Sith novel, Anakin talked about the forbidden archives where the Jedi had captured Sith Holocrons, Palpatine also mused about it in Dark Lord after he sent Vader to the Jedi Temple to capture them, some of which were clever forgeries, but the rule of two could have been there.

The Jedi vs Sith Source book was suppossed to have been written by a Jedi Archivist, she certainly knew about the rule of two.

Yoda had access to all knowledge at the temple.

A rogue Jedi learns of the Rule of Two and tells the Jedi. His words were disregarded as the ramblings of a madman (because he had gone kinda insane), so the warning was ignored.

Well, it wasn't really a warning. The Jedi says something along the lines that Yoda says in TPM. So the Jedi didn't really know a great deal about what he was talking about.

A rogue Jedi learns of the Rule of Two and tells the Jedi. His words were disregarded as the ramblings of a madman (because he had gone kinda insane), so the warning was ignored.

Well, it wasn't really a warning. The Jedi says something along the lines that Yoda says in TPM. So the Jedi didn't really know a great deal about what he was talking about.

Thanks for the info. The Rogue Jedi, that wasn't Set Harth or anyone else from the Bane trilogy was it? Was it that little incursion around 200 BBY I read about on Yoda's page?

Thanks for the info. The Rogue Jedi, that wasn't Set Harth or anyone else from the Bane trilogy was it? Was it that little incursion around 200 BBY I read about on Yoda's page?

Kibh Jeen said it after his forces were defeated in the Cularin system in the so-called "Dark Jedi Conflict" (188-181 BBY). From Jedi vs. Sith:

...After Qornah and [his Padawan] Kibh Jeen had landed their shuttle on Almas, they walked toward the half-buried [sith] fortress [of Darth Rivan]. As Qornah probed the arae with the Force, he did not hear the whispers that pressed against his apprentice's mind. Kibh Jeen succumbed to these whispered temptations, cutting his Master down from behind. Then, stepping over Qornah's corpse, Kibh Jeen approached the walls of the fortress and disappeared.

Jeen rematerialized shortly before the arrival of the Jedi team who found Qornah's body. Evidently he had accessed the Sith fortress, and gained much knowledge. Taking the shuttle, he set off across space. There, the psychometrics account ends, but Kibh Jeen was just getting started.

Searching for minions who would make useful tools, Jeen found pirates in the Cularin asteroid belt who suited his purposes admirably. He dominated their minds and, through them, attracted others to his service. Soon he had built an army, and he unleashed his forces on the floating cities of Genarius, the third planet in the Cularin system. Thousands died. This assault launched the Dark Jedi Conflict.

For seven years, Kibh Jeen and his mindless soldiers dominated the Cularin system. Their warships stopped or attacked all incoming transports, then disappeared to their hiding places in the asteroid belt. No one could find them, let alone eliminate them.

Finally, a Jedi Knight and her Padawan came to Cularin. After they organized the system's inhabitants and trading companies to build an armada, the Jedi used the Force to locate the pirates and lure them into a trap. The pirate fleet was crushed, and Kibh Jeen did not escape. Before he died, he was heard spouting gibberish about there always being no more or less than two Sith.

It is part of a larger narrative about the nature of places that have been imbued with the dark side, part of a lecture given by Master Lanius Qel-Bertuk to his students shortly before the outbreak of the Clone Wars.

Edited by Euphrosyne

Kibh Jeen said it after his forces were defeated in the Cularin system in the so-called "Dark Jedi Conflict" (188-181 BBY). From Jedi vs. Sith:

It is part of a larger narrative about the nature of places that have been imbued with the dark side, part of a lecture given by Master Lanius Qel-Bertuk to his students shortly before the outbreak of the Clone Wars.

Thanks for the info!

I believe it was Zannah's... brother? Or something similar. It was the one whose hand was cut off by Bane. He returned to the Jedi, but they cast it off as lies. At least, I believe so. I haven't read it in forever...

I believe it was Zannah's... brother? Or something similar. It was the one whose hand was cut off by Bane. He returned to the Jedi, but they cast it off as lies. At least, I believe so. I haven't read it in forever...

Correct that also happened to an extinct. Zannah's cousin was about to tell the Jedi about the Sith but he stopped as soon as he realized Zannah was a Sith. Based on some clumsy errors by Zannah as she was rushing them out of the Archives the a few Jedi found and followed her to the few Jedi's end.

Zannah took herself, the cousin, and Bane to Ambria to be healed by Caleb in exchange for ratting themselves out to the Jedi via messenger droid. Some days later, 20 Jedi showed up and mistakenly thought the crazed cousin was the Sith Lord while Zannah masked herself and Bane (Caled is the one who is cut to pieces outside his hut).

Please see the post two before you on this thread to see the answer to the question you're asking

Edited by sell-dog

Correct that also happened to an extinct. Zannah's cousin was about to tell the Jedi about the Sith but he stopped as soon as he realized Zannah was a Sith. Based on some clumsy errors by Zannah as she was rushing them out of the Archives the a few Jedi found and followed her to the few Jedi's end.

Zannah took herself, the cousin, and Bane to Ambria to be healed by Caleb in exchange for ratting themselves out to the Jedi via messenger droid. Some days later, 20 Jedi showed up and mistakenly thought the crazed cousin was the Sith Lord while Zannah masked herself and Bane (Caled is the one who is cut to pieces outside his hut).

Please see the post two before you on this thread to see the answer to the question you're asking

Thank you for clarifying. The post above me was not seen as I was typing my response. (Or at least I didn't see it.) Apolagies for giving an incorrect answer. :)

I read the Darth Bane trilogy of books by Drew a few months ago (GREAT read btw) and read his Revan novel as well, definitely a good read as well. The rule of two, as many have stated before did not exist in the swtor era. Revan had the idea of ROT in one of his holocrons, but Bane is the one that implemented it after he tricked Kaan into using the thought bomb to destroy himself, Hoth and the remaining sith survivors he had under his thumb on Ruusan. Tomcat (rain or Zannah) almost ratted out the sith, but luckily due to Zannah being smart and Bane being under the influence of the orbalisks that were currently feeding on him, they defeated johun (one of the main characters from the second book) and a team of master jedi's (and one jedi using battle meditation, yay for kotor references) on Tython of all places.

A mouthful indeed with a lot of grammatical errors, I apologize.

According to Lucas and LucasArts PR department, the movie and EU are separate entities from one another. While the EU generally tries to follow the spirit of the movies, in the end a lot of liberties generally get taken that contradicts beliefs or characters. So when you talk about EU, that is EU canon and officially, has nothing to do with the actual Star Wars movies.

According to Lucas and LucasArts PR department, the movie and EU are separate entities from one another. While the EU generally tries to follow the spirit of the movies, in the end a lot of liberties generally get taken that contradicts beliefs or characters. So when you talk about EU, that is EU canon and officially, has nothing to do with the actual Star Wars movies.

The situation is not that simple. There are various levels of canonicity, an official Keeper of the Holocron to make sure Star Wars lore all matches up, and a lot of efforts to maintain continuity. The EU obviously uses a lot of stuff from the movies, and the movies have also used a lot of stuff from the EU.

That particular "problem" was solved in a couple of different ways. Ryder Windham created a Dark Jedi War explanation, which was quoted at the top of the current page. And I think that in one of the subsequent books in the Bane trilogy, Karp added in his own potential explanation.

According to the Wookiepedia entry, Rule of Two, the rule wasn't created and enacted until after the New Sith Wars, which occurred between 2,000 BBY and 1,000 BBY. Since we are playing in 3,640 BBY, we're 1,640 years from the event that inspires the rule, though I am certain the exploits of The Wrath of the Emperor and Darth Nox were quite influential.

So, in short, there is no Rule of Two yet.

The situation is not that simple. There are various levels of canonicity, an official Keeper of the Holocron to make sure Star Wars lore all matches up, and a lot of efforts to maintain continuity. The EU obviously uses a lot of stuff from the movies, and the movies have also used a lot of stuff from the EU.

That particular "problem" was solved in a couple of different ways. Ryder Windham created a Dark Jedi War explanation, which was quoted at the top of the current page. And I think that in one of the subsequent books in the Bane trilogy, Karp added in his own potential explanation.

There are not various levels of canonicity. Both Lucas himself and LucasArts PR department have described the canon as going like thus; Movie canon, EU canon (which Lucas considers a parallel universe to the movies), and then all other fan fiction and creations. While Lucas might have borrowed some ideas from EU, Lucas himself is on record as saying he never read any of the EU, and at best would ask if any of this has been written about in the EU before. On the flip side, of course EU is going to borrow heavily from the movies, the EU is based primarily off the movies. The problem there is people have a tendency to put their own spin on certain gaps, regardless of intent to stay true to the source material,such as Luke Skywalker gaining all these crazy Force powers.

There are not various levels of canonicity. Both Lucas himself and LucasArts PR department have described the canon as going like thus; Movie canon, EU canon (which Lucas considers a parallel universe to the movies), and then all other fan fiction and creations. While Lucas might have borrowed some ideas from EU, Lucas himself is on record as saying he never read any of the EU, and at best would ask if any of this has been written about in the EU before. On the flip side, of course EU is going to borrow heavily from the movies, the EU is based primarily off the movies. The problem there is people have a tendency to put their own spin on certain gaps, regardless of intent to stay true to the source material,such as Luke Skywalker gaining all these crazy Force powers.

Lucas himself has been frequently ambiguous on the matter of canonicity. He has described the EU as being a parallel universe, i.e. entirely separate from the world of the films. He's described it as all being stories told about the same thing, i.e. all the same continuity. And so on. Expecting a concrete answer from him on a subject like that is not worth it. Besides, it's not even clear that Lucas himself "can" determine canonicity anymore, given the events of the last several months.

It is noteworthy that Lucas has adopted many canonical elements from the EU wholesale (the most obvious of which is, of course, Coruscant itself) and has exercised varying levels of control over the stories published under the aegis of Lucas Licensing (most famously, having Anakin Solo killed off in the New Jedi Order instead of Jacen Solo). These are not the sorts of things done by somebody who has not read the EU, has no interest in the EU, and who considers the EU to be entirely superfluous to the story of Star Wars.

It simply won't do to have such a simplistic interpretation of canon as you seem to think. You're talking as though people like Leland Chee and Sue Rostoni don't even exist. Please, educate yourself. :)

The idea of the rule of two was more or less created by Revan. Darth Bane learns about the rule of two from a holocron created by Revan and then feels the Brotherhood of Darkness (the sith organization that is created after the fall of the current empire) is too weak and must be destroyed thus leading to Bane tricking Kaas into using the thought bomb that destroys that particular organization on Ruusan leaving Bane as the last Sith Lord as which point he takes on an apprentice implementing the rule of two. *finally takes a breath* this all of course happens after the swtor timeline. Hope this helps. There's actually a serious of books that explains it better, all about Darth Bane.

reven never came up with the rule of two. he simply said a sith should never have multiple sith apprentices. bane took it one step further and decreed there could only ever be 2 sith period

One thing that always bugs me though is the sith juggernaut's immoral ability called "rule of 2" which, I believe makes it so if a guarded target is attacked, the guarder gains a 30% increase in movement for a few seconds... The ability itself is fine, just the name is annoying, when the rule of 2 hasn't been created yet...

reven never came up with the rule of two. he simply said a sith should never have multiple sith apprentices. bane took it one step further and decreed there could only ever be 2 sith period

And yet....in the novel Darth Plagueis, there are technically three in existence right up until the end of Episode I in the timeline...Darth Plagueis, Darth Sidious (his apprentice), and Darth Maul (Sidious' apprentice, which Darth Plagueis knew about) The novel was a good read and full of interesting little tidbits... I'd recommend it. Great info in this thread as well regarding the "Rule of Two". Thanks.