New Class?

BritishCanadian_

So with the new expansion, Galactic Starfighter, now out, what about the next expansion? I'm personally hoping for a new planet, new companion, new level cap and ESPECIALLY, a new class.

What sort of new class might they do though if they were to create a new one? The current 8 are pretty solid, and it's hard to think of another they might make. If they do, I'd like it not to be force wielding, as I think all the Jedi/Sith variety they can make has been taken.

I was thinking a droid, but I'm not sure how that would turn out. Especially with all the decisions you can make and relationships with characters. Like Kira going at it with C2-N2..... I don't want to think about that. Do you think they WILL make a new class?

Do you think they WILL make a new class?

The developers and community team have said multiple times that they will NOT make a new class.

However, they are open to making more skill trees and more Advanced Classes.

I think all iconic roles are already in game (gj BW, thanks for it) so I dont think there is two new possible classes (for both sides) however new skill trees are more than welcome, perhaps more variety for tanks and healers (that have only one/class)

Instead of a new class, I'd rather new Advanced Classes.

Some aspects of the lore aren't represented.

Mace Windu was a Consular (from what I've read). In TOR, that's primarily a force user. Or a Shadow, which Windu was definitely not. He was such a good lightsaber combatant that he helped perfect a new dangerous fighting style.

Where's that advanced class? Where's that skill tree? Don't say "Well, _______ class with ______ spec is as close as we have". No. This is about adding in new things. I don't want to settle for the closest thing to Windu. I want Windu.

Darth Maul is another example. Oh, double saber, so he's an Assassin. Really? Have you played one? Not exactly lightsaber combat focused, it's more a hybrid lightsaber/force user. I'd love a skill tree focused much more on lightsaber combat, even throwing some kicks in there. Maul used a double saber but fought like a Marauder. Shadows/Assassins need a skill tree like that.

Additionally, I'd like Sentinels/Marauders to be able to use double-sabers and for Shadows/Assassins to be able to dual-wield.

Maybe a new class wouldn't be possible, but I certainly wouldn't mind them giving us some way to change advanced class specialization. Not something that is so easily done as the skill trees, but perhaps a one-time rechoice at the new maximum level as a reward.

It would be cool to have new advanced classes.

I would really like to see an advanced class that could spec for melee DPS or for ranged DPS. And no I don't mean like the current Madness/Balance Sins/Shadows. I mean a class where you can be a pure ranged DPS or a pure melee DPS depending on your tree. It wouldn't be hard, just make all the abilities start off as melee and then put a talent in one of the trees that increases the range of that tree's primary abilities to 30m (like the Transmission passive for the Sorc).

Or perhaps an advanced class that can spec into healing or tanking. That idea would be difficult to implement properly though, because a class that can tank, heal, and DPS would need it's own special niche or people would whine that it is too versatile.

Aside from more advanced classes, a new tree or expanded trees for the existing classes would be cool, but I would still rather a new advanced class.

Regardless, a whole new class is definitely not going to happen; too much time/money would have to be spent on a brand new storyline, brand new companions, and brand new voice acting for the class and all of its companions. Plus there really are not any class archetypes left. There are plenty of advanced class archetypes left, but as far as the overall classes go, we pretty much have everything covered.

Instead of a new class, I'd rather new Advanced Classes.

Some aspects of the lore aren't represented.

Mace Windu was a Consular (from what I've read). In TOR, that's primarily a force user. Or a Shadow, which Windu was definitely not. He was such a good lightsaber combatant that he helped perfect a new dangerous fighting style.

Where's that advanced class? Where's that skill tree? Don't say "Well, _______ class with ______ spec is as close as we have". No. This is about adding in new things. I don't want to settle for the closest thing to Windu. I want Windu.

Darth Maul is another example. Oh, double saber, so he's an Assassin. Really? Have you played one? Not exactly lightsaber combat focused, it's more a hybrid lightsaber/force user. I'd love a skill tree focused much more on lightsaber combat, even throwing some kicks in there. Maul used a double saber but fought like a Marauder. Shadows/Assassins need a skill tree like that.

Additionally, I'd like Sentinels/Marauders to be able to use double-sabers and for Shadows/Assassins to be able to dual-wield.

I'd disagree. I read that Windu was a JK class. A practitioner of one of the most dangerous and rarest styles of lightsaber combat Vaapad. A consular would have been someone like Yoda.

In Real-Life the ability to wield two blades in fencing (Kendo, Florantine style fencing) is the act of a master swordman that requires years of advanced training. In the SW universe, only the JK should have the level of saber training to wield two weapons. Therefore the ability to carry two sabers should stay unique to the JK/SW class. My Idea for a new AC for the JC/SI would be more of hybrid saber/force user. A mix of saber attacks with some ranged force attacks/cc mixed in.

However your other idea of have a new JK AC that focuses on wielding the Saber-staff, Lightsaber Pike or other Jedi Weapons certainly has merit. Perhaps a focus in AOE attacks for dealing with mobs?

Yes adding new Base classes would be time consuming, complicated to do, and very expensive and I fully expect them to push it off still the last possible moment (espicially when the coffers are bigger). I do think we see new A/C sooner though.

But soon or later they will HAVE to add new classes at some point because otherwise they will start to lose subs. Almost all MMORPGs I can think of have added new classes at some point. Its Darwinism..evolve or die.

Its either this, or a new SW MMORPG (which would not be impossible as the new movies are scheduled for 2015).

I'd disagree. I read that Windu was a JK class. A practitioner of one of the most dangerous and rarest styles of lightsaber combat Vaapad. A consular would have been someone like Yoda.

In Real-Life the ability to wield two blades in fencing (Kendo, Florantine style fencing) is the act of a master swordman that requires years of advanced training. In the SW universe, only the JK should have the level of saber training to wield two weapons. Therefore the ability to carry two sabers should stay unique to the JK/SW class. My Idea for a new AC for the JC/SI would be more of hybrid saber/force user. A mix of saber attacks with some ranged force attacks/cc mixed in.

However your other idea of have a new JK AC that focuses on wielding the Saber-staff, Lightsaber Pike or other Jedi Weapons certainly has merit. Perhaps a focus in AOE attacks for dealing with mobs?

On the Mace topic: Vappid was a NEW (meaning it didn't exist yet in TOR) thing, also, it's a branch of Juyo. Witch we already have. Just sayin'. I'd guess Mace was a JG.

Edited by KyleSChen

Or perhaps an advanced class that can spec into healing or tanking. That idea would be difficult to implement properly though, because a class that can tank, heal, and DPS would need it's own special niche or people would whine that it is too versatile.

There's already a class like that in another MMO (not talking about WoW)

Captains in LOTRO can heal or offtank, along with providing excellent buffs to the group/raid. However, the tradeoff is atrocious DPS (worst in the game by far). It would be quite feasible, perhaps as SWTOR's first actual support class/AC.

Just my 2 credits.

I think it might be interesting and dynamic if SWTOR broke away from the standard trinity (Tank, Heal, DPS) and added a 4th role. A Buffing/Debuffing/Crowd Control/Hybred support role. This new AC could spec pure DPS (like all other ACs can) or spec in the support role where their personal DPS would be stronger than tanks and healers, but less than DPSers. Their benefits would be group/raid wide through strong temporary buffs as well as debuffs and CC on adds. Obviously the content now would render them useless, but future content of the new Expansion could be designed around having this 4th role. I also would like to see a pure DPS AC added to the Inquisitor/Consular and Bounty Hunter/Trooper classes. So the breakdown of added ACs for the upcoming xpac might look something like this:

IA / Smuggler

Support AC with a DPS tree, heavy buff/survivability tree, and a CC / debuff tree. This AC would be stronger at buffing, off heals and general survivability than the other support AC. Special perks would include Group stealth, Health transfer (in an emergency sacrifice own health to dying teammate), AE instant battle res, long term Stat boosts, in combat group teleport, Threat boost/decrease, group in-combat turbo speed boosts.

Warrior / Kinght

Support AC with a DPS tree, Strong debuff tree, and a CC/buffing tree. This AC would be stronger at debuffing Bosses than the other support AC. Special perks would be slowing the attack speed, multiple fast refreshing interrupts, stat debuffs, Boss usable knockdown/stuns, temporary group/raid wide DPS boosts, long lasting “mes” cc.

Inquisitor / Consular

Pure DPS AC

BH / Trooper

Pure DPS AC

On the topic of Windu and Vaapad...

I recall reading at one point, years ago, that he was a Consular. Do I think he was one? No. They're mostly diplomats and such. Some are fierce combatants, but most aren't. I agree, he should absolutely be classified as something else. For all I know, I'm mis-remembering or that's been retconned.

But the new AC thing? Absolutely. As I said, certain aspects of the lore simply aren't in the game. I'm still hoping for my proper Darth Maul advanced class.

And frankly, I find it very upsetting that BioWare will come up with dozens of new weapon skins but won't input any new attack animations for this.... That we're aware of, anyway. Allegedly there's two new expansions coming, hopefully there's new ACs in one of them and not just "Let's raise the level cap again!" route.

EDIT:

Some things I was thinking of, just tossing out ideas:

A new skill tree for Powertechs/Vanguards focusing on their new weapon: the Scattergun. Most of their attacks are close range anyways. Why not give them an up-close and personal gun?

Sorry, but the idea of a BH with a shotgun just... It makes me squee.

Edited by Dasem

• 3 weeks later...
I wish they would grant Grey or Neutral Force Characters more options like their own kind of Force Powers maybe or Artifacts, equipment Etc. that Jolee Bindo http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jolee_Bindo may have learned on his own or maybe his wife's. Taken from Jensaarai stories or Grey Paladins. It would really make SWTOR a deeper kind of game. Although in a way it already is but I think this Part of the Grey Side is rather overlooked / neglected and gamers left wanting. I pray the developers will come up with something wonderful and really exciting for the Grey side for players.