My very first raid

So I've got a 50 gunslinger and a 47 scoundrel that I pretty much exclusively PvP with.

Guild decided to give raiding a go tonight so 16 of us jumped into EV.

My experience:

After clicking the drop pod, I crashed into the ground and died.

Had someone with graphics issues. Couldn't run the weather effects. So we got another person. Took them about 20 minutes to figure out how to get to us, even with direciton.

We killed the first boss pretty easily, but there were a bunch of just random deaths. No graphic, no emote. Just boom tic dead. No target of target = inexplicable.

Cleared the trash to the second boss. Wiped a couple times. Someone got locked in combat. Nobody could zone in for about half an hour even though we were all alive outside.

Did another droid pull. Somehow I managed to die. So I zoned back in and ran back across the bridge. While running across the bridge, I panned my camera with left click+drag (which has ALWAYS moved ONLY the camera and NEVER changed my character direction). But of course, for some reason, left click+dragging the camera made my character turn and I fell off the bridge instead of the camera springing back behind me like it's done the other 75,000 times I've done it. More waiting.

Killed the hounds. Made it to second boss.

Wiped on him the first pull. Waited at door for the wipe to finish. Fell over dead on the Republic fleet. No debuff. No message. Just 100Hp one sec. 0 the next. No combat log = inexplicable.

Made it back to him for another pull. Wiped again. Hey, it happens. This time everyone was out of the instance. Combat was over. And nobody could log in. "You can not enter during combat." error. Stood around 20 more minutes trying to figure out *** happened. Decided to try it again by re-forming the raid.

Went in, and as could be expected, first boss was dead, but all trash was back up. Had someone say "F it" and logged. Got another DPS. Stood around 20 minutes waiting for them to figure out how to get to us--even being directed in vent. Got everyone together. Cleared the first 4 droid pulls. Couple people died. Whole raid stuck in combat.

Went to clear next mobs, few more died. Couldn't rez in combat. One more pull, half the raid's dead and still stuck in combat even after everything's dead.

Finally we just said screw it.

I love this game. I have had a blast. The story quality is unmatched in any MMO to date.

I'm also a long-time MMO vet. I've played betas/launches of virtually every mid-to-major MMO release in the past 12 years.

It makes me sad to say it, but this was without a doubt the worst raid experience I have ever had.

I'm embarrassed to have referred PvE-oriented friends to this game.

I've overlooked many of the other bugs--daily/weeklies not updating after warzone wins, random crashes, disappearing mail, etc. But this just broke me.

you guys just sound bad to be honest

did all 4 bosses 1st run with under geared people without a death

wiped on last boss after figuring out the mechanics and the drop down series

next night came back and finished boss.

hate to say it but i dont believe alot of the above was bad game, but bad gaming

edit...

i mean come on he couldnt find the zone into in 20 minutes of being guided, either he is bad, or the guiding was bad.

these bosses mysteriously 1 shotting you is probably the enrange timer because you failed to kill him quick enough.

I doubt its the bosses normally, as we have killed them all no issues AT ALL.

getting stuck in combat and not sure who is in our out ?

running back and failing to control your character ?

Really bioware i guess its your fault ....

Edited by SarinIG

Re-read the post.

Especially regarding the mouselook inexplicably making my character turn. Never happened before. Ever.

My post had absolutely -nothing- to do with the content and its difficulty--other than the confusion over a lack of target-of-target and combatlog.

It's bugs. Pure and simple.

But congrats on the chance to waggle your epeen with the "we killed everything ezpz." In your haste to congratulate yourself, you missed the entire point of the post.

Re-read the post.

Especially regarding the mouselook inexplicably making my character turn. Never happened before. Ever.

My post had absolutely -nothing- to do with the content and its difficulty--other than the confusion over a lack of target-of-target and combatlog.

But congrats on the chance to waggle your epeen with the "we killed everything ezpz." In your haste to congratulate yourself, you missed the entire point of the post.

its not bugs, im not waving my epeen

im telling you ive done the raid several times, including the 1st time with undergeared people and done all bosses without a death.

Its not the difficulty level, and its not bugs.

Your also blaming bioware for stuff that has nothing to do with them, like failing to find the instance.

You also say that using the mouse that way HAS NEVER CAUSED YOU TO DO THAT, and likely it never will.

Guess why, because you did something to stuff up and suicide.

You can tell your guildmates all you like it was a bug, and blame bioware.

Truth is you stuffed up. Congrats.

You guys were disorganised and played badly, look up the encounters before you go in and you will know what to watch out for.

Randomly 1 shots us all, is most likely enrage.

You will of cause not be happy with these replies because no one likes to be told they were bad and its their fault, just like you didnt want to tell your guildmates u ran off a bridge.

Blaming the game is MUCH EASIER, your the one padding your ego here mate.

Edited by SarinIG

Guess it was our bad guild that caused the following during our first EV run.

1. Zoned in and people randomly died while exiting escape pods

2. Kiled the trash and turrets to have the 1st boss not spawn twice causing us to reset the instance and clear the trash/turrets again until he magically spawned.

3. Cleared to the lava boss and had to reset the instance twice (And reclear all of the trash) because we wiped, were stuck in combat and could not reenter the zone. (Guess that was a feature)

4. Got to SOA, learned the fight and had pillars fall on the boss but not knock him out of shield. (Guess that's another Feature or our terribad play that caused that issue)

The raid game in this game is a bugfest and Bioware either does not have a QA Department testing thier raid game or they just shoved it out to the door knowing it was buggy.

Edited by Anundir

It really isnt that bad, yes bugs do exist but theyre doable. Issues such as failing to find a location or running off a bridge are not those of bioware, sorry I refuse to believe there is a camera panning bug and in any case im sure you could have waited till you made it off the bridge.

The first boss 1 shotting people is probably either them standing in the red zone and being oblivious to the fact that a 5k ticking dot is spawned on them, or that they were targetted by a lock on skill and didnt use a defensive cool down (in HM that skill can 1 shot people but by no means in NM assuming decent gear).

Although bosses failing to spawn and combat being buggy are different issues which are biowares fault, the failure of your experience was compounded with bad play tbh. And yet I am sure the only reason such bugs occured is because on your wipes people tried to be smart by doing things such as in combat stealth or running away from the fight, if you all just die on the location of the fight then it practically never bugs. I know because ive seen my own raid bug it and then all agree to not try and be smart and thus no more bugs occured, I say this as someone who has done 16 man EV, nm EV twice, and HM EV twice. Bugs do exist but it really isnt all that bad as you make it seem.

Re-read the post.

Lol, yeah I hear ya man, this game is still in beta but we are paying or it...

Edited by Irishbrewed

you missed the entire point of the post.

That post was part bugs that can be easily avoided, part people being scrubs and killing themselves then blaming it on bugs, and part not figuring out/reading up on boss abilities.

Having some patience, being organized, and paying attention will get you far. My first EV raid had only 1 person with experience, we killed every boss on the first attempt except Soa, who took 2 or 3. Killed the Rancor right after.

you guys just sound bad to be honest

did all 4 bosses 1st run with under geared people without a death

wiped on last boss after figuring out the mechanics and the drop down series

next night came back and finished boss.

hate to say it but i dont believe alot of the above was bad game, but bad gaming

edit...

i mean come on he couldnt find the zone into in 20 minutes of being guided, either he is bad, or the guiding was bad.

these bosses mysteriously 1 shotting you is probably the enrange timer because you failed to kill him quick enough.

I doubt its the bosses normally, as we have killed them all no issues AT ALL.

getting stuck in combat and not sure who is in our out ?

running back and failing to control your character ?

Really bioware i guess its your fault ....

Agreed +1

We had no troubles at all, but i we did have the random dieing on the fleet issue after zoneing out from our 1 and only whipe on Gharj.

You had a very unlucky experience. Don't let one run deter you though.

Annihilator doesn't have any bugs right now, so you guys weren't doing something right when you were getting killed.

Also i really have no idea how you would die on the trash, it is super easy and we have never ever had a death there.

Releasing on the second boss before he resets will result in everyone randomly dieing outside, that's a know bug along with the pod.

So only two of those were bugs, the rest had to do with your raid.

I already forgot most of the things in the first post, but I'll back him up a little bit on a few of the issues.

The front left escape pod will kill you more times that it will not. Do not take that pod. We have not had this issue with any other pods.

After finishing an attempt on Gharj, regardless of if you wipe or if you kill him, there are times where people will randomly get oneshot. This does 0 durability damage and while annoying, does absolutely no harm and usually causes laughs. It usually lasts for a few seconds and people will get picked off one by one, but can be res'ed and you can move on.

The camera twitch bug is a well known bug, I've almost died to it a couple times but haven't actually had it kill me yet. Sometimes your camera will just randomly spin and your character with it.

Gharj not resetting after a wipe is a known bug. Just reset your phases, redo trash, and kill the boss. It doesn't happen most of the time, but sometimes it does.... and it's annoying.

Now, regarding people not finding their way.... that's just bad playing. The starting area is an oval no bigger than 50 meters with only 1 path leading out which is clearly shown almost nomatter where you are standing on your minimap. Super easy to find your way to the boss... and your way around the instance as it is a linear path with no possible way to get lost since you can only go 2 ways, either forward, or back to where you were.

Edited by Niclamus

It really just sounds like unfamiliarity with raiding in general and the new material you were facing. You admitted to largely being pvp-oriented, and the playstyle in pve and pvp can be vastly different.

Operations require more diligent teamwork, positioning of bosses, and avoidance of damage. Healing is not 100% your healer's job, everyone needs to know what mechanics they can avoid to reduce incoming damage. Standing in bad stuff, not line-of-siting certain mechanics, etc, can ruin a raid experience. If the boss turns big and red, he's enraged and will 1 shot people because you didnt kill him fast enough - this is the dps check. I've run EV the last 2 weeks in a row with little difficulty.

Edit: Also be sure that everyone is in their proper roles; a pvp dps-spec'd juggernaut has no business standing toe-to-toe with a raid boss as the tank, just as a madness spec'd sorcerer has no business serving as a healer in this sort of content. Each person needs to be spec'd and geared specifically for the role they intend to serve. This may be different from the pvp hybrid specs a pvp-oriented guild may be accustomed to.

The only 'bugs' we experienced involved the boss not spawning after the towers and mobs were down, Gharj not sinking each island normally, and then not granting weekly quest credit upon his death to half the raid. The 'Death Pod' or 'Suicide Pod' as we like to call it is a known random occurrence, and I'm not entirely sure it's a bug and usually gets 1 or 2 people each time - laugh it off over vent, come back, pick a different one.

Failing at your first attempt does not make you bad, nor does it necessarily mean that bugs are to be blamed - inexperience does not equal bad. Try again, watch out for mechanics that can be avoided, and you'll figure it out!

Edited by Natarii

went in last night, took a few new guys.

one of the new guys died on entry.

2% wipe on Soa (didnt notice i lost aggro while spinning camara round :/ )

cleared EV

again same new guy dies on entry twice (left him on floor dead second time)

Cleared the other boss (Rancor)

job done in 1hr 30mins

Would you people quit jumping on him for not having a super experienced raid group? His issues have nothing to do with the abilities of the raid and everything to do with bugs that should not occur.

Christ. My raid's dropping nightmare mode and even we had a few wipes on the first night we went in on normal, and we experienced every single bug he's talking about. The average human being isn't a savant that's going to instantly realize how to do something when they may have no frame of reference. "Just go watch a video, noob" is a ****** response, because even when you read strats or watch videos, wipes will happen among people who have not personally experienced it. They're a great reference, but they're no replacement for performing the encounter. The average person must see or do something three times to fully commit that experience to memory. In conclusion, shut the **** up you elitist *****s.

Love,

A Hardcore Raid Leader

Edited by Kanzel

Guess it was our bad guild that caused the following during our first EV run.

1. Zoned in and people randomly died while exiting escape pods

2. Kiled the trash and turrets to have the 1st boss not spawn twice causing us to reset the instance and clear the trash/turrets again until he magically spawned.

3. Cleared to the lava boss and had to reset the instance twice (And reclear all of the trash) because we wiped, were stuck in combat and could not reenter the zone. (Guess that was a feature)

4. Got to SOA, learned the fight and had pillars fall on the boss but not knock him out of shield. (Guess that's another Feature or our terribad play that caused that issue)

The raid game in this game is a bugfest and Bioware either does not have a QA Department testing thier raid game or they just shoved it out to the door knowing it was buggy.

!) Oh well it was good for wtfs and laughs when it happened to us; we still laugh about it

2) This is your fault you MUST remain near the turrets for him to spawn .. there have been many posts on this.

3) Again a known bug that should have been fixed with 1.1 what MMO hasn't had bugs in Raids It hasn't even been 30 days yet.

4) not believable your tank may need some new glasses

the gharj bug is fixed by simply not exiting after you die, wait till the entire party dies then everyone zone. if someone exits first and is showing alive but on the fleet the game tries to kill them and eventually it will, just wait for the wipe then everyone go back to the medcenter. that is a easy fix. the camera panning thing this happens tome alot when i use forcespeed while trying to look around. i think the force speed speeds up my panning of the camera. that is pretty much the only bugs i think was a factor in our raid last night besides the speeder randomly killing people. simple thing is wait till everyone is dead before you release from the fight and that bug wont ever bother your raid.