Discussion Topic: Discussion Topics!

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

For this weeks discussion topic, we want to talk about... discussion topics! What I mean by that is, what are the things you want us to have a discussion about in the future. For context, here are some of our previous topics:

Galactic Starfighter

Bolster Changes for PvP

Master Mode Ops Drops

When you make a recommendation, I would ask that you be as specific as possible. We try to have the topics be guided so that there is focus to the feedback. Ex: "What new game mode would you like to see in a Warzone" is better than "what would you like to see added for PvP."

Give us your thoughts on future topics!

-eric

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suggested discussion topic:

How to encourage more people to join a guild.

- Problem: Currently there is a XP bonus for leveling up, no bonus after 70. Some guilds are jerks to players forcing them (requiring them) to do things each week or they will be thrown out, this only contributes to why people avoid guilds at max level. My idea would be to give a significant CXP gain like 15% or 25% but I'm sure people have other good ideas. In this thread we can identify why some people avoid guilds and offer solutions to enticing them to join. If there are more people in guilds the level of participation and involvement (and perhaps even retention) would probably go up.

I have a few things:

• Should Bioware take more of an active role in the Reddit community?
  • Should Bioware spend some time on fun side games that are mostly time sinks (think Pod racing or like the Plants vs Zombines game in WoW)
  • Would you like to see Bioware have more events like the Cantina tours? Less for a marketing but more for just meeting others in the community. Or create an official way to "sponsor" fan run events
  • How would you like to see Bioware working with fan sites?
  • Should Bioware go back to a model where expansions are paid, but have an increase in quality and content

I am sure I could think of more, but just a few things that have been on my mind lately.

Edited by ninjonxb

I'd think that the following would be a good and interesting topic: What story elements and directions for the narrative would you like to see in SWTOR?

There are several threads that talk about the feedback of the current story and what we have already seen. However, I think that making a thread purely for what we'd want to see in the future of the game's story is a thing that could be very useful. I realise that the story is most of the time pretty set before anything is even released to us, but it could be useful insight for the Dev team of what it truly is that players want to see in SWTOR.

I'd suggest the following: What new event should Bioware add in the future? or What should Bioware do to make existing recurring events more appealing? as the overall topic Recurring events.

At this point in time, many people have participated in the currently recurring events ad infinitum and ad nauseam. Reputations have been maxed out, rewards have been claimed, and every achievement foe has been defeated. I'd love if there are even some slight additions to the events. A few new quests and rewards, or a new boss. Maybe even a new world quest. Or even better: Do the Grand Acquisition Race again. The events are fun, but they are becoming repetitive right now.

Another topic I'd like to discuss with you is: What race should Bioware add next? with the overall topic of Playable Races and Customization.

It's been two years since the Grand Togruta celebration. Of course, we can't demand anything, but I think it's time for another big celebration. How about a Nautolean Celebration? A Kel'dor Party? The Great Nikto race or the Big Devaronian Bachelor Party? That CM item might sell pretty well. Espescially when Nautoleans are concerned. We have the underwater SH, now perhaps try to give us the matching race? But that's just me. I'd love to hear the community on this. ;)

Another topic that might be doable is What kind of CM items do you want to see?

We could possibly have that conversation in the CM Suggestion Forum. There have been tons of requests over the years: Traditional Jedi Robes, an actual unstable crossguard saber, more shoto variations, animations, jukeboxes, and even some more curved lightsabers. Instead of relying on a "gamble" system to provide the sets, why not make a discussion topic to get some input on what the community would love to see on there?

Edited by Alssaran

I'd think that the following would be a good and interesting topic: What story elements and directions for the narrative would you like to see in SWTOR?

There are several threads that talk about the feedback of the current story and what we have already seen. However, I think that making a thread purely for what we'd want to see in the future of the game's story is a thing that could be very useful. I realise that the story is most of the time pretty set before anything is even released to us, but it could be useful insight for the Dev team of what it truly is that players want to see in SWTOR.

Discussion Topic: What would you like to see more of from future SWTOR stories? What would you like to see less of?

I just saw you posted the same as me, oops :D

Companions

How to get back to the meaningful interactions we had with them in Chapters 1-3 (vanilla)

LIs with more in-depth conversations

Putting companions back onto our empty ships (maybe let us pick 5-10 or something from the list to put in our ships at a time, or better yet, let us interact with them in our strongholds (we could have a similar limit on "active" vs. hologram, but with the option to toggle at any time))

Episodic conversations similar to conversation unlocks through vanilla story progression. For example: have 1-4 new conversations for a block of companions available from each patch.

Let us talk back to our companions, don't use the style you've been using for alliance alerts. Our own characters' interactions are just as important as what our companions are saying. Our VAs are amazing and I want to hear them.

Add some new flavors to companion comments in the open world. Let them say new stuff, reference old missions, give us little tidbits on what they were doing for the five years and after that they were gone (depending on when they came back to us), new catchphrases (more innuendo from Kira :p )

Anything as listed above would be doable regardless of what BW has done or will do to bring them back. If the nature of the business going forward is to give us companions like Quinn and Elara back VERY perfunctorily and unsatisfactorily (to most people) through story, that's fine. But with the above ideas you could flesh them out by letting them back onto your ship, and they will have much more to say with each patch. More time to spend with our LIs outside of a couple sentences. Maybe allow for NEW love interests to happen. We're not birds, you know ;)

We could hear from Vette/Torian about *that choice* and how they feel afterwards and how it affects them going forward.

We could hear more about how Vette and Gault came together, see interactions with Vette/Risha (when she comes back) and Qizen/Mako (when she comes back), etc.

We could hear what Ashara/Jaesa/Kira/Scourge/etc etc etc were doing while we were gone and how they came back to us through it all.

We could hear comments about what each companion thinks of our decisions through KOTFE/KOTET and going forward.

I see so many possibilities, and I'm short shrifting all the companions I didn't mention. Every companion you've given us is special to us for a plethora of reasons, and from outright hatred all the way to marriage and BFFs, our feelings run the gamut, and I believe there is incredibly rich grounds for engaging us again with the game through our companions.

And I didn't even mention the new companions, of course bring them in on it. I'd love to hear more about Veeroa Denz's background, as well as the others. They're just placeholders right now.

Finally, allow us to fire Theron and Lana for their lip service and incompetence in "finding" our companions for us, something we wanted from them since we woke up! :rak_01:

Edited by aerockyul

Maybe there's no point, but I'd like to see discussions about the PTS, Quite a few people want to test things out so we wont end up with so much dissapointment. Whether that's about class balance, changing utilities or strongholds.

I don't know what happens internally or with those who do get to use the pts, but it doesn't really strike me as enough.

Will it ever become public again or remain as it is?

Giving feedback is so much easier while it's being actively tested and not live yet so changes can be made where it's needed more easily.

I guess I just want to know BW's stance on this.

we need to talk about where this game is going story wise and or expansion and the next companions coming back...PVE stuff group content alot of our guild is leaving this game going to star trek and back too WOW as you know WOW has been out for over a decade AND HAS SOMETHING NEW EVERY EXPANSION to me a new boss in a raid is not content its a boss for a opp we have to wait for ..SO TOPICS A COUPLE OF SUGGESTIONS PET BATTLES .AND SOME HOLIDAY EVENTS .YOU COULD GET SOME AWESOME IDEAS FROM WOW THEY EVEN HAVE A CHILDREN'S WEEK ..ANYWAY JUST A THOUGHT GUILD PERKS WOULD BE NICE TO..

..STORY

..COMPANIONS

...EXPANSION

..THE FUTURE OF SWTOR

My Suggestion for a Discussion Thread has to do with the expectations from a discussion thread. Putting up a thread is easy and people will post responses. Then what? Will there be a summary after a week or two? Any response expected from BW to the posters? Will the thread be closed at that point? Or will the thread just wither and fade away having served merely as a place to let off steam?

Topic: When and how should BW respond to the contents of a Discussion Thread?

Hey folks,

For this weeks discussion topic, we want to talk about... discussion topics! What I mean by that is, what are the things you want us to have a discussion about in the future. For context, here are some of our previous topics:

Galactic Starfighter

Bolster Changes for PvP

Master Mode Ops Drops

When you make a recommendation, I would ask that you be as specific as possible. We try to have the topics be guided so that there is focus to the feedback. Ex: "What new game mode would you like to see in a Warzone" is better than "what would you like to see added for PvP."

-eric

Tell me why we should bother? No really, I am curious. You guys have received mountains of feedback through the years, and you always, always implement what ever idea you decide on internally. The latest bolster tread is an excellent example. Almost every PVP'er wants bolster to be +248 to avoid a grind that doesn't interest us, and yet you only pose 3 suggestions of which 242 is the highest. By presenting it like that, you give us the appearance of choice when in fact you have already decided. I could go on with many other examples - the current class "adjustments" being one of them - but why bother?

My Suggestion for a Discussion Thread has to do with the expectations from a discussion thread. Putting up a thread is easy and people will post responses. Then what? Will there be a summary after a week or two? Any response expected from BW to the posters? Will the thread be closed at that point? Or will the thread just wither and fade away having served merely as a place to let off steam?

Topic: When and how should BW respond to the contents of a Discussion Thread?

This was going to be mine too.

I would like to discuss decorating strongholds.

The truth is that you guys really don't answer anything in that forum and there are som valid concerns.

There really are some issues like hook placements and decoration quantities that can make actual decorating (not just filling it up for conquest) a really tedious thing. It's not as fun as it could or should be and that can be really frustrating.

I mean I'd love to take a dev through the strongholds and just talk to them and explain where some of the pain points are that really make a decorator's life difficult and chances are you might not even realise it.

I have all strongholds but I can only keep 4 open because I would need to spend hundreds per stronghold in real life money (dollars or euros, take your pick) just to be able to get enough decorations to make themed strongholds work.

And frankly it's discouraging that there are suggestions and zero reaction to them, so it's something I'd like to discuss.

Here is my suggestion for a topic. This game just isn't The Old Republic, it's Star Wars: The Old Republic. I'd like to see a discussion topic on Star Wars.

1. What parts of the game feel like Star Wars?
  2. What parts of the game don't feel like Star Wars?
  3. What makes a good Star Wars story?
  4. What can we do to make our stories feel more like Star Wars?
  5. Would you like it if The Old Republic were more connected to the films in some way(no time travel though)?

I think a general discussion on how to make the game feel more like Star Wars would be good.

Hey folks,

Galactic Starfighter

Bolster Changes for PvP

Master Mode Ops Drops

-eric

"Why are the PTS's closed? What could we do to have a better application system."

"Class Balance: Why should or shouldn't PvP and PvE have separate balancing?"

"Ranked PvP: Improving matchmaking, populations, and overall quality of gameplay, ideas and suggestions."

Bringing back Class Representatives would also be very interesting, in that I feel that we can then get a better feel for the devs' thoughts on balance tailored to specific classes and their weaknesses.

Edited by GrandLordMenace

BUGS

I would like to see a discussion on how bugs in the game are dealt with...a lot of the time it feels like feedback by players is falling on deaf ears.

ADVERTISING/PROMOTING THE GAME

I would like to also see a discussion on how EA/Bioware/Lucasarts "advertise" the game and try to draw in new players. I remember well going to see the midnight showing of The Force Awakens and watching the advert for the new WOW movie however with a new SW movie coming out each year wouldn't this be an obvious opportunity to put our beloved game out there for consideration.

EVENTS

I would like to see a discussion on possible new events in the game - possibly like the one off events that existed in the first year or so.....the jawa event and the first gree event.................not the play every part of content in the entire game that we got last year or the mindless button press slot machine credit sink that we have this year ....something fun and unique and engaging.

STATEMENT OF INTENT

I'd like to see something from EA - A statement of intent as to their commitment to the development of the game as against Battlefront, Galaxy of Heroes etc. The latter two seem to be getting all the love imho and I cannot see why?....SWTOR is a better place to spend your time in as far as I can see.

PAID CONTENT UPDATE/CLASS STORIES REINTRODUCED

I'd like to see is there any appetite in both the community and with the devs for a paid proper "box price" update to the game, or if its even possible - 50 more levels of each class storyline...I know its a big ask but the different journeys of the classes is what i loved for the most part of the last 5 years along with having to help each other with some boss like fights along the way. I enjoyed having reasonably hard fights along the way and not just mashing through content al la recent years.

Here is my suggestion for a topic. This game just isn't The Old Republic, it's Star Wars: The Old Republic. I'd like to see a discussion topic on Star Wars.

1. What parts of the game feel like Star Wars?
  2. What parts of the game don't feel like Star Wars?
  3. What makes a good Star Wars story?
  4. What can we do to make our stories feel more like Star Wars?
  5. Would you like it if The Old Republic were more connected to the films in some way(no time travel though)?

I think a general discussion on how to make the game feel more like Star Wars would be good.

Very good.

Bug list w/ priority too.

Goofy hook placement/ rushed stronghold.