The Empire and your personal Morality

GavinPatterson

my warrior is a evil man he will kill but not simply for the sake of it, he hates the Jedi who from his perspective tried to wipe out his ancestors and will kill them but he find it more delightful turning them, however imperial military and certain aliens he treats with respect.

the best example is yudress on hoth, on my agent i chose him simply cause he was a fellow chiss but my human warrior chose him due to his sound tactics his understanding of our enemy where as the human was stupid and incompetent and would have gladly kill him.

My chiss was also evil, he would kill his targets and follow orders but he was a man who looked out for other agents.

my inquisitator was simply evil to the bitter end.

even my jedi who almost 100% light made some choices based on what he beleived the greater good, i mean he felt that killing the emperor was just as he was evil as they get and could not see any hope for peace or end to war with him in charge.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually surprised how easy it is to play light side for empire characters.

I tend to play light side for most of my characters in any game, but I do RP, so I can have dark side characters if there is a reason.

I often get interested in characters and factions in a game, and make an alt based on that.

After playing Esseles many times I decided to play Ambassador Vyn Asara after being left on the imperial ship by a group of Republic "Heroes".

Betrayed, tortured, sold into slavery, her connection to the force discovered, she gladly accepted the chance to train as a Sith, full of hate she made an excellent acolyte. Thinking of this background, I can play her hating all the republic, all the empire, only finding mercy for those she can relate too, slaves, those betrayed, innocents. I have never had a problem with the results of her decisions, unless it's those times where the text doesn't match the actions. ;)

The end of the Black Talon has one of those questionable light side dark side choices.

The "light side" choice sends an old man who server the empire loyally for many years off for torture. Killing him seems more merciful.

I know those aren't spoilers for 99% of us, but just for those 1% ;)

None of my characters are 100% light side though, I can't play basing my decisions on the points, romance just doesn't figure as dark side in my books for one ;)

Edited by Evgen

I have often questioned the choices we are given in the game in particular with playing a imperial character. See for me all of my toons both Republic and Imperial are either dark side for Imperial or light side for Republic with one exception. My dark side trooper.

But something very interesting happened to me last night when I was doing a quest on Hoth. See I was sent to rescue someone who was being tortured for information in if I recall correctly a factory, the person in question was responsible for bomb making and because he spoke it allowed the Empire to target the Republic main base and if it was successful it would kill everyone. Now here is the interesting bit, see after the cut scene I was presented with a choice. Either kill him for speaking or let him go. Now my trooper is incredibly evil likes killing things, yet in this case killing this person for the life of me just did not seem right to do, I mean I tried to justify it in my head, but murdering him just did not feel right this time yet previous times I would have given it a second thought. So yeah morality comes into question in a variety of ways regardless of you trying to be completely evil or completely good.

Sorry for the long post.

For my republic characters I went with all LS points.. on the other hand with my empire character SW, I chose to be ruthless and picked LS if i think it'll benefit the empire in some way like on Nar Shaddaa with the meeting between the hutts and lord rajavai's apprentice I didnt kill the hutts but rather formed an alliance

I've gone full lightside on my Jedi Knight, and mostly light on my BH, Punching that guy in the face on Alderaan was too funny to not do :D but seriously, he tried to get me to do the errands of a child? no chance.

But since he doesn't care about the empire at all, he'll undermine them at every oppertunity, whether its letting republic soldiers leave alive, making decisions to lose the empire's money (on hutta i deliberately sabotaged a deal to get more money) and at the end of the story

I had a gun pointed at the chancellor of the republic, a sith lord that had previously choked mako had ordered me to kill him, but when the chancellor offered a job to kill off the sith lord, i accepted. Wiping out an imperial cruiser and his fleet.

• 3 weeks later...
I played Republic first and then Empire for change. I quickly fell in love with the Empire - after all its the first chance in any star wars games to play on the side of evil.

But after leveling one 50 and a 46 of the same class - I have noticed a few times when the decisions made, or how the conversation went really made me sit back and go that's just wrong.

Has this happened to anyone else? has the choices made by the empire or the republic ever make you rethink the side you're on? if so, share your experience

There is some really interesting information being talked about in this thread and you guys might want to take a look at the thread:

"Politics and Morality in SWTOR."

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5243136#post5243136

I can't manage a truly DS character. I just can't do it. Only my juggernaut is purely LS, though and my knight is the darkest grey. of the bunch. I like it that the choices aren't always straight forward. To be purely DS, you pretty much have to be a genocidal lunatic, often killing without reason. To be entirely LS, you sometimes have to do things that clearly go against rational best interests--this is particularly true of the knight story where they did an amazing job of have the DS seem increasingly reasonable as you progress.

I'm a pretty mild role-player, but something I've enjoyed (here and in other games) was coming up with the answer to a single question for each character I make: what is the main thing that motivates this character to act the way he/she does? My combat medic Trooper, for example, joined the military to get out of a dead-end small town/planet lifestyle and is wholly devoted to following orders, because she believes that following those orders that help the greater good is the "right thing to do". Why does she believe following orders is the "right thing to do", even when she might have found them morally questionable in her civilian life? Because she isn't overly gifted in the plotting, planning, and management departments (she excels at being a follower, rather than a leader), but the people handing down those orders have been trained for it (in many cases) their entire adult lives. Only a handful of times in the process of finishing chapters 1-3 three did she go against her orders, resulting in an interesting mix of Light and Dark points, but sitting there and quickly debating the situation with my friend - also a fairly lawful Trooper - were some of the best bursts of RP I've run into so far.

Some decisions available to a Jedi are making me go "that's just wrong"... Sparing a criminal who would kill me within a blink of an eye with no remorse at all? Sacrifing my freedom or mission for a miserable being which deserves its fate (look at the Evocii which sold themselves to the Hutts for shinies)?

What made me really annoyed is the mission on Nar Shadda:

When you get to find the face surgeon who was in charge of removing the faces from Republic soldiers and putting them on Imperial infiltrators I was absolutely disgusted. Not only he was an enemy but a sadistc who showed no remorse and was even proud of his perverted deeds. The choices I received were ridiculous! I could either have him go to jail, where he would be kept alive from the money paid by the citizens of the Republic, or I could've used his knowledge to conduct similar things on Imperial soldiers. I am a Jedi. Jedi is meant to deliver justice! Just because Republic troops were present in there doesn't mean I cannot do that. Especially when few missions before that I was able to beat the crap out of the disobiedient Republic agent who refused to do his duty.

There is one ridiculous moment on the Imperial side. It's a heroic quest where you get to destroy a cave-base on Balmorra full of highly trained Balmorran resistance troops. After a long and difficult combat you have to destroy the generators and suddenly some refugee woman approaches you saying that they're poor refuges and they're not armed and they cannot fight etc etc etc... Sorry, I just had to cut through the local special forces to get in here. It hardly looks like a refuge for the victims of war. And destroying it up was satisfying.

I have a few chars on both Rep and Imp side now that have reached the end of their stories and I know I try to get into the characters and make morality choices based upon who they are and it can be fun, but I can understand how some of the choices give you pause. My Sith Marauder was played very, very dark, and there were a few times I hit that "dark choice" and the results were a tad upsetting. Her only "soft spot" was Vette and things she did for her.

So now I'm doing the story again, this time with a Jug who will be very loyal to the empire, but not cruel for being cruel's sake.

But conversely, my Jedi Sentinel had a hot head and made more than one dark choice too (though still managing to reach Light 4 by the end). It's all about the roleplay of the character :)

My first character once the game went live was a twi'lek assassin. I laughed quite often at the "dark side" responses and my guild and I would chat about how going pure-dark made you sound like a psychopath more than an evil bad ***.

Next was a mirulakan knight and going only light side I can honestly hear that dialogue and think he's just a really nice guy.

Mirulakan sniper is a mix. Best self interests and best imperial interests. Still more dark then light, but much more stable.

Based on the dialogue choices I always pictured exclusive dark side characters running around slaughtering anything that moved and some things that don't, for no reason except to do it. They are crazy, not evil.

• 4 weeks later...
My Gunslinger is now on Belsavis, and to be honest, I was kind of shocked when I learned that the Republic is imprisoning people who never commited crimes against the Galaxy - they were descendants of incarcerated criminals and their only crime was that they were born on Belsavis. I mean, seriously? And the Republic is supposed to be the good side?

I just started a Republic character after playing Empire characters since launch (45 SI, 40 SW, 12 BH), and I have to say that the way the Republic is characterized is one of the things I really love about the story. You can really understand why the Sith feel that the Republic is corrupt and degenerate. I sometimes imagine the things one of my Sith characters would say if he were interacting with the Republic NPCs in lieu of my Smuggler.

Whenever both sides cooperate I think "we need more of this". Specifically:

For Republic, on Hoth for the JK storyline where you work with the imperial solider to disable the super weapons.

For empire, when on Nar Shaddaa for the SI storyline where you work with the trooper squad to stop Darth what's his face.

It shows the moral ambiguity inherent in armed conflict.

A very long time ago, in a middle school far, far away a visiting scoutmaster for Boy Scouts of America told us a story about an experience he had in the Desert Storm conflict. He was part of a a convoy that was ambushed and he was forced to retreat in a different direction than his squad. Working to regroup with his men, he was caught unarmed by an opposing soldier. Basically having nothing to lose, he threw up his Scout sign. The opposing soldier also put up his Scout sign and walked away.

Fictionalized or not, it left an impact on me. I never considered that those involved in armed conflict were "people", in the emotional sense, and were able to make decisions based on their own morality and not some greater goal assigned to them from someone in an office 3,000 miles away.

When I hear about similar stories, I think that this something I'd like to see represented more often. The above two story lines gave me the opportunity to see it.

Playing a Sith Warrior all dark felt boring after playing my inquisitor that way. Adding some light side choices as they made sense (no killing of innocents, for instance) made way more sense to me than just the full "ALL HAIL THE EMPEROR!!!" rhetoric that a pure dark side story would give you. We need to see more of that.

TL;DR Yes.

Though obviously you've considered that the man's story is a lie, I'll put forth that it most likely is, given that one of the main red flags for someone lying about being in a traumatic experience like a war is that they'll talk about their experiences in detail like that (for that sort of experience that is a hell of a lot of detail.). *shrug*

Though yes, I'd love to see more stuff like that. Maybe give the character an option that is totally self-destructive, like 'I'll kill those silly Republic people anyway, and if the Imperials try to stop me I'll kill them for disobeying orders anyway!' and just be able to walk away and not care about whatever you just lost.

...I like being evil sometimes.

My first character was a Dark Side Marauder, I took him straight down the DS line with only a few light side options, mostly because I found it easier to play pure DS than to have some of the LS choices play out. There were, however, more than a few times that I chose the LS option because it felt like the right thing to do.

Like for the main Warrior story line on Alderaan, when you are given the choice to hand over that one noble to the spoiled rich brat that you are sent to work with. The only reason he wants her is because she refused his marriage proposal and he got pissy, and I refused to turn her over. It was a LS option, but I'll be damned if I'm going to hand over a defenseless woman to some pig of a man that will do unspeakable things to her just because she said she wouldn't marry him.

I've made mostly Imp characters, partially because I can't agree with the Republic's way of thinking or with the Jedi and their super strict code, and leveling has only really shown me the true depths of corruption on the Republic. Like on Ord Mantell when leveling as a trooper, one of the lower ranking soldiers tells you about a superior taking bribes for better patrol routes (Stolen from DA2 I think), or the Cathar Refugee that tells you the Republic outpost won't help the Refugee's by giving them medicine and instead steal and extort from the people. Or those two soldiers that are playing a betting game on Refugee's making their way through a minefield to get much needed resources.

So in short, do I question my morality? Not really, since I know that no matter what I do on Empire side, I'm at least being honest about my ability to stab you in the back. It seems right when I make a DS choice, though it is still hard to make some of them.

I'm not sure any of the characters I play really match my personal "morality". I try to get into character.

My sorcerer is a reformist trying to prove himself against (and co-opt) a hostile establishment. He does not like to look weak so will make DS choices when interacting with other Sith but will often go LS when operating alone, especially if the DS choice is needless and of no direct impact to the goal at hand. As a Darth, he is exceptionally harsh towards his fellow Sith but takes a more "nuanced approach" to his subordinates, and civilians.

My shadow is a goodie two-shoes who is overwhelmingly LS. He has become a bit disillusioned with the republic since Belsavis, making his first DS choices there to protect the republic. Since then he gets openly angry with people asking him to make tough moral choices that could have been avoided had people done their bloody jobs.

My Operative is... I don't know. She's become disillusioned with Imperial Intelligence for various spoiler related reasons, but remains a "Loyalist" in the sense that she holds the Sith in exceptionally high regard (she will essentially do what any Sith tells her to do without question). She is unforgiving to anyone that stands in the way of her objective, but won't randomly hurt people for no reason.

My Jedi Guardian is a complete jerk. Quite amusing to play. I decided I would just choose the DS option no matter what to see how the story line reacts. He is mercenary, anti-authority, greedy, and demanding of his support.

- Arcada

I mostly go Light Side, but there are times where the LS path is something I simply cannot agree with.

Right on Tython, a quest to spy on fellow Padawans. As both of my Jedi fancy themselves scholars who know about Revan, the love restriction makes no sense. Although my Consular did end up exposing them due to his firmer devotion to the Code.

On Coruscant, a quest with a Senator that turns out to have started a gang war because of taking funds from burglars. I of course asked for an explanation, and it made sense. She might've started the war due to taking dirty money, but she never did anything but good with it, whereas her opponent would've likely just done nothing with his new position. So I did not expose her, and later I receive a mail from her saying she doesn't think she'll apply for re-election. That to me was the best possible outcome, well worth the DS points.

On Taris, doing a quest that revolves around determining whether the rakghouls are sentient beings or not, and it turns out they're guarding the graves of their ancestors. LS choice is to study that and DS choice is to use that to exterminate them. Without hesitation, I picked the DS choice. They're monsters and they can't change.

Later on, a holocron goes about trying to teach manners to Force-using raks. LS choice is to let it continue to try (despite the fact that it OBVIOUSLY wasn't working and the imprisoned Jedi Knight could attest to it) and DS is to exterminate them. Once again, DS for the same reasons.

With the Consular, again on Taris, a part of the storyline is either saving a person or saving medical holocrons that may contain information capable of saving thousands. I almost took the DS hit there, but having the husband of said person close by made me unable to. I still don't know if I took the right choice there.

I questioned Braga's sanity when he talked about redeeming the Emperor. It's one thing to redeem a Sith who clearly isn't a mindless psycopath like the others (Lord Praven), but the Emperor? The same Emperor who only cares about gorging himself with the galaxy's life to become some sort of god?

With the Trooper, I try to do as a Trooper would do, follow orders.

But on Alderaan, I was forced to jeopardize the alliance between the Republic and the Organas. Since said Trooper fancies himself an old man who lost a family (wife to war, kids to the rebellious teenage years), I wasn't about to just let a father get taken away from his family. Also try to show trust in my allies: a few occasions where I told Jonas about what was Havoc's objective. He's SIS, he oughta know how to keep a secret.

Haven't played much of the Empire yet, but my Pureblood is well on the path to being honorable in battle and conserving whelps that may be assets, but in everything else, Sith Code is alive and well. Still neutral, but leaning more to Dark.

One rather funny thing about him is, I treat slaves who do as their masters asked nicely. Since Vette is always complaining or cracking out of place jokes, I verily enjoy teaching her how to be a good slave. And that's what the shock collar is for :D

I will say that I object to many of the main objectives of just random quests on the imp side--when the dark side option is to kill an innocent and the light side is to take them back to the empire so they can be tortured and their people exterminated...yeah. That kind of thing gets to me. I was playing an agent who is "something of a patriot", trying to make someone honorable in war--but there was no motivation for her to stay. What she *really* would have done after seeing the realities of what the empire was doing was defect, but as you cannot change factions she's pretty much been rotting on Tattooine while I run around as a Jedi.

Though, I will say that there are some things on the Republic side that leave me scratching my head too--it feels a little silly for a Jedi so get all holier than thou about killing prisoners--directly after slaughtering dozens of his lackeys without batting an eyelash.

What she *really* would have done after seeing the realities of what the empire was doing was defect, but as you cannot change factions she's pretty much been rotting on Tattooine while I run around as a Jedi.

Agent spoilers:

The second chapter has you go undercover in Republic which can, if you choose the right options, allow you to defect to the Republic.

It's slightly more complex than just going "I'm here to stay, honest!" but I wouldn't want to spoil the whole thing for you.

^That is, assuming that you don't already know the IA line.

My main is a Commando, so I rolled a Mercenary during the stress-test beta to get a feel for the gameplay without spoiling the story. I quickly became sick of the stuff I was being forced to do; I realized that you don't have the option to be a good guy in the Empire, but only a slightly less disgustingly evil guy. Since launch, I haven't rolled a single Imp.

I disagree, my Sorcerer and Sniper are quite the nice guys :D

well, on my Sith juggernaut, I try to be dark. But, being the efficient and logical person I am, there are some choices I just couldn't do dark. Not just because they were plain wrong(which is always a factor), but because they are just less efficient. So sometimes I make light side choices just because the dark side choice would be bad for the empire. I'm more loyal to my faction than myself. And other times I just can't bring myself to kill a bunch of defenseless children ( though I have).

For my Jedi, though, it's all good. I like being light side on a toon that's supposed to be light, and the light side is closer to my personality. Usually the light side choices are better for the republic, so I choose those. But when the dark side choice is better for the republic, I just can't bring myself to go dark on a Jedi, unless It's a romance, which I will gladly choose dark for any day :rak_03::cool: