Get rid of mats in ranked

themasterofevil

I despise ranked of any form. Did just enough to get augments for my main on pub and imp. Ended up winning about 2/3 of matches.

If you guys don't want to see as many mat farmers in ranked but still want to see some new people try it, they could add say 1 mat to the reg weekly. That'd keep us appeased and still motivate people to try ranked since you get more.

The problem with this is that our ranked community for the most part has zero interest in building new players.

Lets be real, here's what will happen, they will try it, get obliterated and farmed without any help and giving the usual verbal bashing, and no mats for getting skunked by a good team. Do you come back or try again?

The competitive part of me agrees that this kind of reward probably doesn't belong

The practical part of me thinks its a good incentive.

Te realist in me realizes it wont matter either way until the community itself pulls its head out of its collective arse and makes a token effort to build players over farming them.

The PVP ranked community has been digging it's own grave for years without even realizing it...

Sometimes I cannot believe the amount of verbal abuse someone gets for not living up to some moron's standards who thinks he is a pro.

There were times when I was abused and they just want to make you feel like garbage so that you never que again unless you are a real masochist. 80% of the people will NOT que again and the end result is what we have today: ranked that pops only because there are mats to be had. otherwise it would be dead. Team ranked especially.

Solo ranked is a total joke now. Every match one team has a total clueless person which is making the games very one sided, ie. one team has a person who instant dies.

I don't have any problems with the clueless people who are new, but this turns ranked into a commedy and there isn't any real competition.

It's about which team will get that guy who will instant die and is usually a jugg dps, sorc dps, pt dps with 109-110k health and no stim.

See, this isn't very fun for a lot of folk. It isn't fun for the clueless jugg dps with 109k healh and it isn't fun for the " pro".

Edited by DavidAtkinson

Please, get rid of mats and components for losing.

My server's republic side is full of a-holes and selfish players who have zero consideration for others, queue and harass people all the time. There isn't a single match with serious ranked players and when you give out they turn it around that you're a bad person. :mad:

Solo ranked is a total joke now. Every match one team has a total clueless person which is making the games very one sided, ie. one team has a person who instant dies.

I don't have any problems with the clueless people who are new, but this turns ranked into a commedy and there isn't any real competition.

It's about which team will get that guy who will instant die and is usually a jugg dps, sorc dps, pt dps with 109-110k health and no stim.

I have Stims and use my health pacs and am fully geared out, and am usually top two in heals for an unranked and know my toon pretty well. I have a pretty sophisticated keybind and have studied my classes buffs, etc... Then I get into ranked and get targeted first and last night took 28kdps in my fight before I promptly died. I was stunned three times in a row. Finally was able phase walk and then bubble and then force run to my group for help and to buy time and then I was dead, all in five secs. But I wait to try again,ask my team mates for some strategy and last maybe 10 seconds in the next round as they all continue to stealth around as I’m attacked. I didn’t even know about the mats drops (just wanted a challenge), but stick around to watch the end to try to learn, only to be kicked from the group with five secs to go. Then I get a message from my team mates telling me to go die in a hole and don’t come back. I love pvp, I love arenas, and I love learning game mechanics, and I am a sucker for punishment, but that kind of experience is just sad and pathetic. Honestly, if you lose guys like me I can’t imagine who you will get. The weird thing is it made me want to que again and again but not really care, in other words, to do exactly what you guys are whinging on about.

I have Stims and use my health pacs and am fully geared out, and am usually top two in heals for an unranked and know my toon pretty well. I have a pretty sophisticated keybind and have studied my classes buffs, etc... Then I get into ranked and get targeted first and last night took 28kdps in my fight before I promptly died. I was stunned three times in a row. Finally was able phase walk and then bubble and then force run to my group for help and to buy time and then I was dead, all in five secs. But I wait to try again,ask my team mates for some strategy and last maybe 10 seconds in the next round as they all continue to stealth around as I’m attacked. I didn’t even know about the mats drops (just wanted a challenge), but stick around to watch the end to try to learn, only to be kicked from the group with five secs to go. Then I get a message from my team mates telling me to go die in a hole and don’t come back. I love pvp, I love arenas, and I love learning game mechanics, and I am a sucker for punishment, but that kind of experience is just sad and pathetic. Honestly, if you lose guys like me I can’t imagine who you will get. The weird thing is it made me want to que again and again but not really care, in other words, to do exactly what you guys are whinging on about.

I'm sorry but unranked isn't comparable to ranked. You were stunned three times because... thats how you play ranked. You don't pop CC breaker instantly unless you're whitebarred and for sure going to die. I've seen many players that will instantly pop CC breaker the instant they're stunned and are promptly globaled. Now, your team was being very unhelpful and the first thing they should've done is peeled. They should've CC'd the attackers/pushed them away. If one of them had guard, they should've swapped it to you. They should've been taunting too.

All the things you say are true and I’m familiar with those tactics. The issue here is the attitude. There is a sizable contingent that will run down even okay players who know what they are doing and are trying hard to help. The ranked community is sick with cynicism.

I'm sorry but unranked isn't comparable to ranked. You were stunned three times because... thats how you play ranked. You don't pop CC breaker instantly unless you're whitebarred and for sure going to die. I've seen many players that will instantly pop CC breaker the instant they're stunned and are promptly globaled. Now, your team was being very unhelpful and the first thing they should've done is peeled. They should've CC'd the attackers/pushed them away. If one of them had guard, they should've swapped it to you. They should've been taunting too.

Also wanted to thank you for this helpful reply! The truth is on the first round I broke too soon, but was getting no support from my team and was getting run down really quickly. I have have noticed other healers get target first. Usually I find if I can survive the first 30 seconds I'm good, but the beginning can be pretty tense. I'm totally open to suggestions if you have any on how to survive the onslaught when your team is not helping much.

Also wanted to thank you for this helpful reply! The truth is on the first round I broke too soon, but was getting no support from my team and was getting run down really quickly. I have have noticed other healers get target first. Usually I find if I can survive the first 30 seconds I'm good, but the beginning can be pretty tense. I'm totally open to suggestions if you have any on how to survive the onslaught when your team is not helping much.

Personally if my team wasn't peeling the first thing I would do is try to run towards my team. If they're in stealth, enemy AOEs will force them out and force them to help you by attacking the enemies.

Next, make sure you pop your force armor on yourself and your AOE healing if you're playing a sage/sorc. Sorc/Sage is the most vunerable, IMO, when being opened up on because they have paper thin armor and very little survivability options in the way of abilities. Sage/sorc has a ton of kiting tools but not a lot of DCDs. If playing Operative, put 2 probes on yourself, pop nanotech right before they attack, and pop your stim boost (with the 5% heal and 20% damage reduction - revitalizers). As for merc, I would pop reactive shield and make sure you have the 30% less damage while stunned perk. Thats 55% less incoming damage when you're CCd.

If you get netted, you have the option of CC breaking and then bubbling as a sorc/sage. Or you die.

Well, I've done ranked for a few days now... I have actually gotten almost no hate. Even the guy I thought might have been telling me to stop queuing, I've gotten him in more matches and we just played with no comments, so I guess it's good. I'm not that good, and obviously would have a lot to learn if I continue. That don't break the first stun thing I know. But I've found I have a lot of trouble staying on target. So many knockbacks and roots and slows. Ugh. :)

I have encountered people (both on my team and on the other) who throw matches. Yeah, I can see now how frustrating that is.

But one thing I have noticed, and I've queued up at various times in the day (all "day time EST" though), but it's the same 8-10 people in the queue. I'm always with/against the same group. On SS, which I thought was still one of the most PvP-popular servers? Makes me think that if *something* wasn't drawing people into the queue, it would just go back to those 2 people saying "queue yolos" over and over in the PvP chat.

I mean here's the situation. Go back to the way it was before adding mats and barely having people queue for group ranked or more people gathering together a set team to queue with. Yea, ya got those mat farming teams/ people in queue, but adding mats did bring out more people making actual teams than in previous recent seasons. I think keeping the mats in group ranked was a good idea, but it killed solo ranked compared to group ranked. So, there should still be some reward besides the end season rewards that would drive people to queue solos- what that would be though, is the question :p

I agree mats shouldn't be in ranked, one because its a complete and utter farce most matches are a complete joke mainly because bioware can't balance a fricken teeter toter let alone a fricken class. Couple this with a crappy que system and most matches are just ridiculousness personified. Not to mention that four man is just plain boring!

I mean here's the situation. Go back to the way it was before adding mats and barely having people queue for group ranked or more people gathering together a set team to queue with. Yea, ya got those mat farming teams/ people in queue, but adding mats did bring out more people making actual teams than in previous recent seasons. I think keeping the mats in group ranked was a good idea, but it killed solo ranked compared to group ranked. So, there should still be some reward besides the end season rewards that would drive people to queue solos- what that would be though, is the question :p

I can't stand ranked because its utterly boring the classes are no where near balanced and the queing system delivers more lopsided matches then fun ones and to top it off in order to get mats i now HAVE to do them. The end result is peeps just standing there dying doin this 20 times gathering their mats and going. Frankly I don't blame them if bioware can't innovate a stale, tired, ridiculously boring pvp system yet somehow feels the need to force people into a tired unbalanced, usually lopsided match to gather crafting components because the pvp population is shrinking maybe just maybe they should pull their heads outa there effin $%$ and just possibly actually get some true class balance going address the lame que system for both regs and ranked otherwise more and more peeps are just going to disappear and they'll be forced to have more lavish things in ranked matches just to populate the darn thing.

Edited by Kazz_Devlin

I can't stand ranked because its utterly boring the classes are no where near balanced and the queing system delivers more lopsided matches then fun ones and to top it off in order to get mats i now HAVE to do them. The end result is peeps just standing there dying doin this 20 times gathering their mats and going. Frankly I don't blame them if bioware can't innovate a stale, tired, ridiculously boring pvp system yet somehow feels the need to force people into a tired unbalanced, usually lopsided match to gather crafting components because the pvp population is shrinking maybe just maybe they should pull their heads outa there effin $%$ and just possibly actually get some true class balance going address the lame que system for both regs and ranked otherwise more and more peeps are just going to disappear and they'll be forced to have more lavish things in ranked matches just to populate the darn thing.

The population playing ranked is very low comapred to the general PVP population...

Bioware has to force people into ranked to keep the game mode active. What reason would anyone have to que ranked of any form ? What do you think ?

The population playing ranked is very low comapred to the general PVP population...

Bioware has to force people into ranked to keep the game mode active. What reason would anyone have to que ranked of any form ? What do you think ?

For me come up with some form of ranked that's not an arena. That would get me to try it more.in the meantime j got my mats (winning more than losing) and bye, have fun talking about how awesome you all are because you play ranked.

Group ranked never popped spontaneously before they added in materials as a reward. Now it pops all the time. Are half of those teams terrible throw togethers? Yeah. But some mediocre content is better than no content at all. It also gives people a chance to get their feet wet without getting globaled every round.

Hell they should go a step further and make Group Ranked give giant conquest rewards, so the BBB/Aftermath/Evolution conquest guilds have incentive to form the best team they can and try to make it work.

For any ELO system to work effectively, the single most important factor is participation of the maximum amount of players possible. Materials/conquest/credit rewards accomplish that. Give people an incentive to try to win.

This is causing ranked to no longer feel like ranked, but more like reg arena matches where 1 team is actually playing to win and the other is throwing. Queuing for solo isn't even fun anymore because basically every match is a 1v4 or 2v4 because the other 2-3 people on my team just throw for mats. I DO PVP TO HAVE FUN AND THIS ISN'T FUN.

I just want to play ranked games without having to essentially play 1v4 and lose all my games.

if you don't want certain people playing with you in ranked, que Granked - problem solved.

Personally I only do rank to get the mats but I always play to win. That said, I do sometimes get teammates that don't do anything so the match ends faster.. that does get a bit annoying...

The problem isn't so much the mats, it's that there really is no reward system in this game anymore, Bioware has kept any decent rewards to their cartel market. They want people to buy them instead of earn them in PvP or PvE content...

They should stay in Ranked in my opinion to encourage new people to give it a try, and hopefully stick around, *but* only be awarded for meeting certain damage, healing, or protection thresholds. The thresholds should be high enough that actual participation and trying to win is necessary.

New PvPers need to start in regs, not hamstring teams in ranked just for mats.

They really need to raise the valor requirement to WL or EWL.

Lets face it: the only reason any type of arena or ranked pvp even exists in this game is because if it didn't there would be that vocal minority requesting it perpetually- just like in every mmo with any degree of pvp.

Its not an esport.

No massive tournaments with sponsors and huge cash prizes.

No livestreams garnering massive audiences.

No (or very little) semblance of class balance to maintain competitive balance.

Just some good ol' dumb fun.

The very notion that mats or some other form of extra incentive to promote activity simply illustrates that few are interested in the activity.

So may as well leave it as it is- this way those who do enjoy the activity benefit from more consistent queues, and those attracted to the incentives have yet another outlet to collect those materials.