Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

For guild members and masters, you will not be able to transfer your guild as a whole to your new server; instead you will need to reform it. If you have a guild bank, it will be re-granted to your new guild on your destination server by Customer Service. This is not an automatic process and you will have to contact Customer Service directly.

Only two words serve the above statement justice:

MONUMENTAL FAIL

for emphasis.

It is, without a shadow of a doubt, the lack of foresight on behalf of Bioware and/or EA, that players experience the current problems with server populations.

Not only did it take you (BW/EA) FAR too long to acknowledge, then address the problems, you then come up with this half-baked idea of a quick fix.

Yet again, you're rushing something out that requires a bit more depth to it, in order to satisfy quickly.

A bit like some cheap energy drink: enough to sate the needs for a short while, but nothing substantial and lasting :-/

For a company and team that preached it's superiority over other games based on "Community Focus", you're doing a cracking job at breaking up communities.

The game might well only be 6/7 months old now, but its been long enough for many people to have developed online friendships, not just with guild mates, but other players outside guilds, fellow pvpers, and regular opponents.

YOUR knee-jerk reaction to opening hundreds of servers in the first month is why this is happening.

But it will be PLAYERS taking the pain when the problem is rectified.

How can you possibly NOT provide a better solution to Guilds????

I'm betting most guilds still struggling on, on quiet servers, have been trying like mad to keep their guilds running, keep players coming back every raid/pvp day. Have they not already suffered enough with a problem YOU created??

And now you tell them they've got to sort it out themselves? As if they really needed more incentive to give up.

Have they not done enough to keep their guilds running, in what has been a dying game, that they now need to reform from scratch? I can just imagine with forced name changes in cases, interfering with players finding each other again (ofc, most guilds will have their own sites to use, but why should it be down to the players to do the leg work?)

Forgive my lack of faith in you (BW/EA) but my gut tells me there's gunna be one hell of a sh**storm coming your way with "Re-granting" guild banks to guild leaders. Good luck tracing missing items and money.

This is exactly why MERGES are better suited than TRANSFERS.

What little community is left, has clung on for this long, and you couldn't show just a wee bit more appreciation to them by giving them a smooth, complete, almost hassle-free guild transfer?

Dont be too quick to give yourselves a pat on the back, as a player, it still feels like a kick in the teeth to be honest.

If your transferred character’s name conflicts with an existing name on a destination server, you will be asked to rename your character. In the case of Legacy names, unless you have unlocked your Legacy on your destination server, you will need to rename your Legacy upon transfer (although you may pick the same Legacy name as on your origin server, if available).

Again, players will be paying for the mistakes made by you (BW/EA)

Edited by Wekeltes

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[...]But it isnt a merger, if it was then servers would be getting shut down and they arent [...]

you forgot to add "yet" to the end of that sentence.

servers will be shut down, you think that after these "transfers" EA will be keeping all those empty or mostly empty servers running.

So yes this is essentially a merge with a different name and an illusion of choice.

Real "transfers" will come later as a paid service.

Calling a dog a cat, doesn't make it so.

Why not open up a two week FFA move session & then implement this scheme once the dust settles?

Because the FFA would make things worse, since everyone will transfer to Fatman and the server won't be able to handle it. It has to be controlled.

In a previous Community Q&A we talked about character transfers, and announced that they were coming in early summer. Character transfers are a complex process, but we're almost ready to go. Starting next week on June 12th, 2012, we’re allowing character transfers to occur between selected servers in order to provide a better gameplay experience for our players by ensuring population balance across the service.

Read More

I beg of you, please, please, please let us know beforehand what servers are going to be available to transfer from and to transfer to so in the event that a large guild needs to move servers we can coordinate(some of us need more than one guild in-game just for main characters due to the player cap). Thanks in advance.

Bioware, do you realize that given how you're saying "the origin -> destination targets may be changed at any time" that you're making it essentially impossible for guilds to coordinate and organize moves? If someone is out of town for a couple days, or for any reason out of communication, they may end up stuck behind on a server that most of their guild has left, with no way to follow them.

You guys need to have a better approach for this.

My favorite complaint is that people are worried about losing their precious character names. Really get some creativity or make the realization that you won't die or lose anything if you unfortunately have to change your characters name. The game still plays the same does it not. i don't feel a name should make or break a game. Also the fact that 90% of anyone complaining about these transfers is hilarious because last I checked these forums were filled with threads about transfers and were completely Demanded with threat of unsubbing. It's pretty funny. So perhaps just be happy they are doing something to mend your sorry lives and continue on having fun with this beautiful game regardless if you lose your dumb name.

You're making it sound as though it's a petty issue, and for some it's not. People who are forced to rename will lose track of a lot of wider friends and acquaintances, that isn't a petty issue in an MMO. If they're attached to the name because it's one they've used in other games and makes them instantly recognisable, they lose their wider gaming identity. Doesnt help that a lot of people put their character names in their signatures on the forums, which opened up another avenue of copycatting. Not everyone is compaining, but this is an inconvenience to a lot of people, especially Guilds concerned about moving as a group, and it's fair for people to voice their concerns.

MONUMENTAL FAIL

for emphasis.

It is, without a shadow of a doubt, the lack of foresight on behalf of Bioware and/or EA, that players experience the current problems with server populations.

Not only did it take you (BW/EA) FAR too long to acknowledge, then address the problems, you then come up with this half-baked idea of a quick fix.

Yet again, you're rushing something out that requires a bit more depth to it, in order to satisfy quickly.

A bit like some cheap energy drink: enough to sate the needs for a short while, but nothing substantial and lasting :-/

For a company and team that preached it's superiority over other games based on "Community Focus", you're doing a cracking job at breaking up communities.

The game might well only be 6/7 months old now, but its been long enough for many people to have developed online friendships, not just with guild mates, but other players outside guilds, fellow pvpers, and regular opponents.

YOUR knee-jerk reaction to opening hundreds of servers in the first month is why this is happening.

I'm betting most guilds still struggling on, on quiet servers, have been trying like mad to keep their guilds running, keep players coming back every raid/pvp day. Have they not already suffered enough with a problem YOU created??

And now you tell them they've got to sort it out themselves? As if they really needed more incentive to give up.

Have they not done enough to keep their guilds running, in what has been a dying game, that they now need to reform from scratch? I can just imagine with forced name changes in cases, interfering with players finding each other again (ofc, most guilds will have their own sites to use, but why should it be down to the players to do the leg work?)

Forgive my lack of faith in you (BW/EA) but my gut tells me there's gunna be one hell of a sh**storm coming your way with "Re-granting" guild banks to guild leaders. Good luck tracing missing items and money.

What little community is left, has clung on for this long, and you couldn't show just a wee bit more appreciation to them by giving them a smooth, complete, almost hassle-free guild transfer?

Dont be too quick to give yourselves a pat on the back, as a player, it still feels like a kick in the teeth to be honest.

You are completely misguided. You want a guild master to have control over whether someone else moves? Not everything has to coddle the players. Let them move if they want to, and then they can sort out reforming their new guild when they get there. It's not very difficult. You put up a post on the web site saying "we're moving to XYZ server, come join us, and ask for a ginvite when you get there."

What in blazes is so hard about it that makes you spew all that garbage you just said?

Edited by Wekeltes

Coercion. I don't know about anyone else but when I am told I can 'choose' to volunteer to switch servers, losing X this and X that (I am very proud of my name, it is very unique and rarely chosen so I am not too worried, however there is always that possibility, and to the user who posted who cares, a lot of people do. It is an alias an identification with games, online and such just about as important as any other name and no one is lesser of a person because of it regardless of anyone's preconceived judgments) or stay on a dieing server watching others transfer to see the server die even more until it eventually is merged is nothing short of coercion. Having only a single destination server is pure ridiculousness and should be altered to allow several server options per origin server. I like the idea of it being predetermined as to prevent players from jumping to random server and guessing population ratios or just filling up servers that already have a thriving community, but having a single destination from an origin server is just nonsense and tells me that when transfers go out and the origin server loses a large portion of players and I choose to stay, I am SOL anyway.

Because the FFA would make things worse, since everyone will transfer to Fatman and the server won't be able to handle it. It has to be controlled.

And after two weeks of sitting in queues, when the Fatman is joined to a medium-pop destination server for controlled moves, all the opportunistic people who did a shortsighted jump to the Fatman will move to where they can actually play.

Here is my take on things.

Low Population Servers

Alpha

Beta

Gamma

Delta

Epsilon

Zeta

Those on the 6 Low population (Origin) servers above will be paired with 2 Destination Servers

Eta

Theta

So everyone on Beta,Gamma,Delta,Epsilon and Zeta can transfer to Eta, or Theta.

The number of Origin/Destination servers are probably different and will change as BW get a better idea of how things are progressing.

I made a diagram.

Transfers Diagram In Layman's Terms

Lotta work but WRONG. There will be only 1 destination server.

Why should i suffer in having to wait---- and in the end have to Pay $$$$$ to move my Toons to same server when some are in PVP and some are in a PVE. The PVE that died months ago and forced me to re-role a new toon if i wanted to play. And just because i did it in a PVP i cant combine them NOW... i have to wait for the future when i am not guaranteed it will happen or if it does to a server not with my friends .... uggh little frustrating :(:(:(:(:(

Not for nothing, but in the grand scheme of things, your subscription doesn't mean jack compared to the well-being of the entire population as a whole. If they let everyone transfer to Fatman, then everyone is going to transfer to Fatman and will create a queue nightmare. The process needs to be regulated and because of that, there's a chance that this first wave of free transfers will not allow you to consolidate the way YOU want to . You don't like it? Too bad. Take advantage of the transfer you do get. Or don't. You can pay to transfer from Veela to Fatman later. Unsubscribed by then? Again, don't care. The game being better off as a whole is more important than your 10 bucks.

I don't think Rouncer is claiming to want the transfers to be a free-for-all rush to The Fatman. But it's a legitimate question for players with toons on multiple servers. Legacy level 30 on server A is a ghost town. Legacy level 28 on server B is a thriving community. Server B is your undisputed primary server. You play there now. Your server load 'fingerprint' (if you want to call it that) is registering as part of the population on server B. What's the harm in transfering specific toons from server A onto that server?

Until Bioware can explain that in detail I remain dubious about their whole plan.

Now, if enough players like Rouncer feel the same way on this 'thriving community' of a server and decide to let their subs run out....how is that better for the game as a whole, Yanksfan?

What exactly would be the impact on the game as a whole if say The Fatman was to suddenly drop to LIGHT in a month or two?

I beg of you, please, please, please let us know beforehand what servers are going to be available to transfer from and to transfer to so in the event that a large guild needs to move servers we can coordinate(some of us need more than one guild in-game just for main characters due to the player cap). Thanks in advance.

They already said they are going to let you know in advance. Now you just need to be patient and wait. Deal with it.

Here is some info that I am now scared to post:

Before server transfers:

200 dead servers.

2 semi-full servers.

After server transfers:

180 completely dead servers.

20 mostly dead servers.

2 semi-full servers.

Just let us transfer to whatever *********** server we want to, for free, and yes there will be much QQ-ing about queue times to actually get into those severs, but that kind of QQ-ing is GOOD QQ-ing. Then I will stop my whining about cross-server functionality (sorry I lied earlier about never talking about cross-server again but that post got deleted so whatever).

^this

I don't think Rouncer is claiming to want the transfers to be a free-for-all rush to The Fatman. But it's a legitimate question for players with toons on multiple servers. Legacy level 30 on server A is a ghost town. Legacy level 28 on server B is a thriving community. Server B is your undisputed primary server. You play there now. Your server load 'fingerprint' (if you want to call it that) is registering as part of the population on server B. What's the harm in transfering specific toons from server A onto that server?

Until Bioware can explain that in detail I remain dubious about their whole plan.

Now, if enough players like Rouncer feel the same way on this 'thriving community' of a server and decide to let their subs run out....how is that better for the game as a whole, Yanksfan?

What exactly would be the impact on the game as a whole if say The Fatman was to suddenly drop to LIGHT in a month or two?

First of all, "enough" players aren't going to let their subs run out because of this because they're no worse off than they were before. They're still not playing the old character at all, and if they want to transfer it later and pay for it, they're welcome to do that. But you can't just let everyone who wants to transfer pick where they want to go for free right now because Fatman is where everyone will go, which will completely overtax the server. You'll have all dead servers and one server with a 2 hour queue. Is that what you want? Is that what you think is better for the game? They're much better off controlling the rush and ensuring there are multiple healthy servers. It might not make some people happy, but nothing they do will make everyone happy.

What they're doing is basically an "optional server merge," which is probably the most political thing they could do. It's no different than if there were server merges and his toons on Veela got merged with other servers that weren't Fatman. Exactly the same. But now, he'd be crying that Veela didn't get merged into the Fatman pool.

If he wants his choice of where to go, that's a paid privilege at some point in the future, after the server populations are ironed out through this method.

Edited by YanksfanJP

First of all, "enough" players aren't going to let their subs run out because of this because they're no worse off than they were before. They're still not playing the old character at all, and if they want to transfer it later and pay for it, they're welcome to do that. But you can't just let everyone who wants to transfer pick where they want to go for free right now because Fatman is where everyone will go, which will completely overtax the server. You'll have all dead servers and one server with a 2 hour queue. Is that what you want? Is that what you think is better for the game? They're much better off controlling the rush and ensuring there are multiple healthy servers. It might not make some people happy, but nothing they do will make everyone happy.

People will see huge queue lines for the Fatman or whatever server and pick the next highest server without a queue.

You are completely misguided. You want a guild master to have control over whether someone else moves? Not everything has to coddle the players. Let them move if they want to, and then they can sort out reforming their new guild when they get there. It's not very difficult. You put up a post on the web site saying "we're moving to XYZ server, come join us, and ask for a ginvite when you get there."

What in blazes is so hard about it that makes you spew all that garbage you just said?

i "spew that garbage" because its exactly what is happening to my guild and thats how me and my guildies feel about their solution to dead servers. For the record, i'm not the leader, and all of us have stated we'll happily follow the GM to which ever server we got to because we're all incredibly proud of the guild we've created.

My point is mostly, that BW are throwing this excuse of a fix at us with pretty minimal effort tbh. As a courteous gesture to us all, they could have taken some of the pain out of it, by at least trying to move guilds together Where they express their wish to do so

Oh well.. thought we could have control on this.. now i just have to Hope that Veela will be the targeted one , wanted to move my char to a RP-PVP but seems won't be possible bah imaybe wit the time and paying we'll be able to move where we want.

MONUMENTAL FAIL

for emphasis.

I agree 100%

More should be done to help guilds transfer and tbh why the hell was it over looked in the first place.

i "spew that garbage" because its exactly what is happening to my guild and thats how me and my guildies feel about their solution to dead servers. For the record, i'm not the leader, and all of us have stated we'll happily follow the GM to which ever server we got to because we're all incredibly proud of the guild we've created.

So your guild is all going to leave your current dead server and all go to the new high-population destination server that's designated for you, and you get to stay together which is what you all want. So what the heck is your problem? You'll still all be together. You'll still all be able to be a guild and do together all the things you already do.

Sounds like to me you're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Edited by YanksfanJP

Make it so you can't transfer to Fatman or JC UNLESS you are already established there i.e. a level 50 or legacy level whatever. It won't really increase the population since the person is already there and doesn't shaft folks who quite frankly the only reason they are still playing is becuase they want to bring thier old chars to thier new home.

Another poster said it but I'll repeat it. If I rerolled from a dead server to Fatman and then they allow transfers from the old server to a server other than Fatman what's the point? I am not gonna leave Fatman since I've already made a new home there. Not to mention the uncertainty of the destination servers being much better then the old dead servers are now.

My point is mostly, that BW are throwing this excuse of a fix at us with pretty minimal effort tbh. As a courteous gesture to us all, they could have taken some of the pain out of it, by at least trying to move guilds together Where they express their wish to do so

I am with you. If someone requests to transfer later than others, they may end up on a different server.

"Depending on the number of characters transferred, the destination and origin servers eligible for transfer may be altered during the process. We don't want to promise a destination in case it may change."

Translation. When one server gets to our target number for population, the rest of the people that want to transfer to that server will just be kicked over to a different server. If they want to actually play with the friends that they have made over the past several months, they can pay us for that game feature later.

This could easily be renamed "Server Mergers Step 1"

Step 2 will be "forcibly merge and close remaining dead servers"

Hopefully, Step 3 will be "open free server transfers to server of your choice for specified window of time"

Yes but what if you have a lvl 50 sith or jedi toon and you do not transver it in time what will happen then.:(