Early Access 'Waves' - Updating Here

StephenReid

BioWare Engineer 1: "Hey how can we stress test our new forums?"

BioWare Engineer 2: "Lets push out 'air quote' waves of invites and not give any info out"

BioWare Engineer 1: "Man, that would piss a lot of people off though, do we rea.... OHhhhhh I see what you did there....Make it so number 3"

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I still don't get it... they're over a day ahead of schedule and people are still complaining?

They promised 'Up to 5 days early access'... well, unless I'm not very much mistaken even if you get in tomorrow at midnight GMT you get the maximum amount of days they promised.

What, exactly, is it they're supposed to have done wrong?

These wave roll outs should be 24/7 every few hours not just in a 8 hour period. No excuses. They have people working 24/7 how else do you keep the servers up and running. Besides how much money has been put in to making this game millions? Its launch week for crying out loud. Every few hours launch another wave don't wait 16+ hours before the next wave. That is just plain stupid.

IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD (AS WE KNOW IT)

Originally Posted by Kinegos

This isn't a troll, and isn't exactly QQ although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that I've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other MMO games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

When you are dealing with a pre-launch even that is only for pre-order customers, after an extensive and massive beta testing period that was a huge success according to nearly all sources involved - it begs the huge question as to what is the limiting factor in the way you have chosen to roll out this game. I personally participated in the beta in a very limited way (not by choice, mind you, I just wasn't lucky enough to get a key) and was only online during the big Thanksgiving weekend test. That test was wonderful - there were a huge number of servers, and a huge population of testers. The game performance was amazing.

So, EA/BW - what exactly are you afraid of?

The ONLY way this should have been done is to have given ALL pre-orders (perhaps separated only by level of game purchased - i.e. CE customers get 7 days, SE get 5, e.g.) access at exactly the same time. Of course it will overload the servers and queues would ensue and all that - but that's what we all expect. Making your customers wait unknowingly with no idea how long it will be or when to expect an email is just adding insult to injury. A poor alternative would have been to send out emails with a set time and day that your access would be available.

I read in the top post how you are monitoring the server performance and are rolling waves based on server performance. Are you seriously saying you have to wonder at this point if your servers can perform up to the task - when you probably still have 90% of the launch day players yet to even be able to play? That is not at all a good message to be sending at the beginning of an MMO franchise.

At any rate, I love this game. I love BW. But I truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

I truly hope you improve, because this is a very very poor way to start out.

i'd have to agree to most of which is said, it makes me really wonder though, are they scared there servers will die on the first day? it truly shows the lack of faith they have in there own servers.

i dont mind that im not in today, i don't expect to get in till maybe the 17th, as it took me 3 weeks of emails to game.co.uk AND Bioware to get my Pre-order keys, which meant i only put my key in on the 1st of December eventhough i pre-orderd it earlier.

but the reasoning given, makes you wonder, do bioware have that little faith in there servers? or is there a hidden reason?

I pre-ordered the game on Nov. 30th. So I know I'm not getting in anytime soon. I don't understand why people are getting so upset in the first place. The Early Access is something they literally DON'T have to do. They did their stress testing and beta testing.

I think everyone should just calm down and realize that if they weren't doing this you would all have to wait til the 20th and the game would be extremely laggy and slow.

They are getting upset because they are spoilt and because they want the edge over everyone else, and thinks it's unfair that some people get to play earlier. It's a hopeless mentality and one can only hope that they rage-quit fast and don't poison the game with their whining.

I well remember the World of Warcraft launch, back in the days when Blizzard were not as big and powerful as they are now and no there were no long queues to get onto a server, maybe the starter areas were packed but at least it was a level playing field - to me this stinks and has total disregard for the players (whom they no doubt want to retain for a long time period to maximize their profits). News for you BW - if you aggravate so many players as you appear to be doing today then no matter how good a game you have produced then it will be short lived. I always remember being told "The customer is always right" - does not seem to apply to BW though ! Edited by Mortontel

There is a problem with staggering invites that any skilled veteran mmorpger can tell you. Hardcore people will get in on day one and then they are not going to wait for friends or anyone else. With this stagger effect people who were planning on starting together will not be able to start together unless they wait for everyone t get in and effectively waste their early access time. It IS NOT FAIR in this fact. Why would u even have server first achievements if the people that got in on the first day are going to get them all?

They of course can start together. If you want to play with a firend wait for the friend. Don't want to wait then roll a side character that you will play when the friend is not around. Or of course explain to the firend that you never really liked them anyway.

Thing your missing is you lost a lot of customers today i'm sure. Im only following this thread because I'm at work for another 45 minutes and it's patch day.

I'm not going to compete with other players for names and gear a week after early launch. I didn't lose a name or two because I didn't sign on, I lost them because I wasn't permitted to sign on before others.

I planned to play on a PVP server so let me tell you how eager I am to know that half the server population will out level me by a massive margine the first day I log in, oh how I would love to get PK'd at level 6 by a level 30 ONLY because he got in early then I. I'm sure you guys didn't think of that one.

This has been the worst launch ever, even compared to games that had congestion on day one, the players were happy just to set up access and create their characters while servers are ironed out. Considering you just stated you had more pre-orders then most games get orders, you should have done your work and prepared for that.

This.