Males Are Too Short

Cavell

I know that at this point in the game's life cycle, the body types are never going to change, but I thought I'd shout into the maelstrom anyway.

Conventional wisdom is that for males, you have a choice between three regular height options and one tall option. I'd contend it's actually the reverse; you have a choice between three short options and one regular height option.

Consider:

Jace Malcolm and Darth Malgus both use Body Type 3 in-game, and we know from the trailers they're not particularly tall guys.

If you put a BT 3 next to a Wookie in-game, it looks like at least a foot of height difference, which would put BT 3 in the 5'10" - 6'2" range.

If you put a BT 1/2/4 male next to a "default" BT 2 female, they're quite close in height, whereas average height difference, using the US as a sample population, would be about 5 inches...which would be much closer to the difference between male BT 3 and female BT 2.

Solution? Make male Body Types 1, 2, and 4 taller. This is only half tongue-in-cheek and not at all brought about by how ridiculously massive one feels running around as a male BT 3.

Better yet they could just make it so we can just customize our height like many other MMOs, it's a wonder a game that cost 300mil to develop doesn't have that option and much lower budget MMOs do...

I really don't want my stealth characters and healers to be tall though, so I vote no to a height increase for 1 and 2.

Edited by Legoncy

Better yet they could just make it so we can just customize our height like many other MMOs, it's a wonder a game that cost 300mil to develop doesn't have that option and much lower budget MMOs do...

I really don't want my stealth characters and healers to be tall though, so I vote no to a height increase for 1 and 2.

They wouldn't be tall. As I explained, they'd be average height rather than the Elijah Wood size they are now. :)

If you put a BT 3 next to a Wookie in-game, it looks like at least a foot of height difference, which would put BT 3 in the 5'10" - 6'2" range.

If you put a BT 1/2/4 male next to a "default" BT 2 female, they're quite close in height, whereas average height difference, using the US as a sample population, would be about 5 inches...which would be much closer to the difference between male BT 3 and female BT 2.

That makes me think that the female options are too tall, as 5'10 - 6'2 seems reasonable (even possibly a bit on the tall side) for male characters. Maybe you're just used to freakishly tall men IRL? ;)

Isn't male BT4 the same height as BT3?

It always has annoyed me that female BT1/BT2/BT4 are all the same height as male BT2, which the majority of the population is. Male BT1 is a tiny bit shorter. Since male BT2 feels like it's 6' or so, apparently all females in Star Wars are a minimum of 5'10?

It's not a game breaker but I agree, the heights are annoying. That's why people have asked for a male body in between BT2 and BT3 since beta. I really don't understand why they used this engine if fluff features like height sliders are just beyond it's limits.

It's because of the cinematics. This is a conscious design decision not some budget or system limitation.

Wouldn't that make them a bit too tall compared to female toons? Already body 1 female and body 3 male kissing looks like quite hilarious, especially if boy is wearing heavy armoring and girl robes:o and if I compare my femSages and my friend's male Vanguards lenght and shoulders my poor Sage looks like way too small. And now you suggest making males even taller:eek:

Isn't male BT4 the same height as BT3?

It always has annoyed me that female BT1/BT2/BT4 are all the same height as male BT2, which the majority of the population is. Male BT1 is a tiny bit shorter. Since male BT2 feels like it's 6' or so, apparently all females in Star Wars are a minimum of 5'10?

It's not a game breaker but I agree, the heights are annoying. That's why people have asked for a male body in between BT2 and BT3 since beta. I really don't understand why they used this engine if fluff features like height sliders are just beyond it's limits.

Strange, when I compare my body 1 Sage to for example Iresso (body 2 male comp) Iresso is taller

I think all the characters are a well proportioned height to each other and the environment. Other than some mounts are too small. The animal ones. This isnt our galaxy maybe people are shorter in the SW universe due to gravitational blah blah its a game. Edited by Smuglebunny

Wouldn't that make them a bit too tall compared to female toons? Already body 1 female and body 3 male kissing looks like quite hilarious, especially if boy is wearing heavy armoring and girl robes:o and if I compare my femSages and my friend's male Vanguards lenght and shoulders my poor Sage looks like way too small. And now you suggest making males even taller:eek:

I'm waiting for the day my body type 1 Gunslinger kisses body type 3 ? 4 ? (don't remember anymore) Amazon Akaavi Spar ...

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

I think all the characters are a well proportioned height to each other and the environment. Other than some mounts are too small. The animal ones. This isnt our galaxy maybe people are shorter in the SW universe due to gravitational blah blah its a game.

I'm not sure I'd agree that they're proportioned well to each other. Most of them are, but Male Body Type 3 is basically another species. Which is a shame, as it's the only one that looks right armored up. (Note: I know the proportions are off, but they're off for all the male models. When wearing endgame gear, BT3 looks best.)

The game did not cost that much to make, stop spreading misinformation.

I think all the characters are a well proportioned height to each other and the environment. Other than some mounts are too small. The animal ones. This isnt our galaxy maybe people are shorter in the SW universe due to gravitational blah blah its a game.

I've always thought the environment is far too big for the most part. Buildings, staircases, doorways etc look like they were designed and made by a much larger species.

I dunno, if you compare them side by side in character creation, the BT2 male is significantly taller than BT1/2/4 females. Also, I play a BT1 male (echoing the above poster's "leave him alone!" :p) and he's way smaller. I figure it is something like this:

5'3-4" -- BT2 female

5'5-6" -- BT1 female (yes, they are a smidge taller), BT1 male

5'8-10" -- BT2 male, BT3 female

over 6' -- BT3 male

Not sure about the BT4's. I like these as they are, but it would be nice if players could use the bodies that Voss NPC's use, which are taller but slim rather than bulky. IMHO BT3 males look so disproportionately large at times because of their bulk moreso than their height.